Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The Nal wrote: »
    Agree but what's the craic with her accent?

Had to look her up a rapper is it? .....each to their own I suppose but it reminds me of this other one who was on nationwide the other night. Turning a a jokey trad rock song about a motorway, into this big feckin sweeping emotional thing backed up by an orchestra. How the hell do you manage that but more to the point how do you sound like you’re from LA by way of Nigeria?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Here is another example on how mainstream media outlets in Ireland, specifically RTE and the Irish Times, are creating division in our society rather than propelling the topic of multiculturalism to be discussed in an unbiased, honest manner. On the front page of the Irish Times this morning, there was a large picture of the Nkencho family submitting the request for a full independent inquiry on the shooting of George Nkencho. And the headline that the Irish Times used online was:
    George Nkencho ‘needed help, not bullets’.

The family also made a low-blow statement about an armed Garda member on duty at the scene on the day was being investigated about another, unspecified, matter, which the Irish Times repeated in their article. This biased reporting only succeeds in creating victims based on their race, causes mistrust and further alienates the existing multicultural communities already in Ireland.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think is approaching /thread territory.

I never understand why the posters who don't particularly participate much in a thread, are generally the ones who voice that a thread should end.

The thread serves a purpose and has a wealth of information and opinions. Shutting it down would simply have all those arguments and references resubmitted within a month... because many posters want some outlet for their interest in multiculturalism and it's influence over society.

Leave the thread as it is. If you're not interested, don't read it.

George Nkencho ‘needed help, not bullets’

Shame he didn't get that help from his own family and community before putting himself in the position of being such a threat to the Gardai. There is such a drive to shrug off responsibility, blame an institution, and then claim some kind of monetary damages, whilst also ruining someone else's life.

FFS.. This is Ireland.. not LA, or Johannesburg. It's not as if the Gardai are a particularly blood thirsty bunch with a stack of kills to their names.

These people really need some home truths presented to them.. and the Irish Times made accountable for what they publish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I never understand why the posters who don't particularly participate much in a thread, are generally the ones who voice that a thread should end.

The thread serves a purpose and has a wealth of information and opinions. Shutting it down would simply have all those arguments and references resubmitted within a month... because many posters want some outlet for their interest in multiculturalism and it's influence over society.

Leave the thread as it is. If you're not interested, don't read it.
    "/thread" is not literally a request to end a thread, it's an expression.

I participated in this thread a fair bit when it was first out but left when it was going around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Had to look her up a rapper is it? .....each to their own I suppose but it reminds me of this other one who was on nationwide the other night. Turning a a jokey trad rock song about a motorway, into this big feckin sweeping emotional thing backed up by an orchestra. How the hell do you manage that but more to the point how do you sound like you’re from LA by way of Nigeria?!?!

Yeah, grew up in Limerick but has a 100% American accent. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Haven't been following thread, sorry, so I don't know if this recent interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali has been posted.
    I am a long time huge fan of Ayaan, she is just a lovely strong person who has overcome such a lot with courage and reason.

She lays out the truth about the clash of values. And how what started as virtuousness was later revealed to be thoughtlessness (no holds bar welcoming people to Europe), and then became enshrined as the unassailable right-on hegemony.
    As she says it is not the middle class ''me too'' women who are suffering, they say very little about how it is the immigrants and the women in poor areas who get the brunt. They are the same demographic shouting Islamaphobia or racist if someone speaks up.
    Areas where streets are devoid of females now, in the heart of Europe. For me the whole multicultural experiment has been hard to swallow because of - very specifically - dreadful reports of gang rapes, actual horror. Nothing else, I don't care about the jobs, or economics, or people living on welfare to kingdom come, does not bother me. Ayaan gives quiet voice to that opinion and positions it within the context of her knowledge and experience of societies that do not value women.

This is so common for young people now.

Raised by the telly.

Edz87 wrote: »

Raised by the telly.

Nah this isn't just a kids TV thing. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Edz87 wrote: »

Raised by the telly.

We all have English accents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Her dad's a doctor so maybe went to an international school?
    I think the family is Zambian. Not sure if she was born there.

Personally, I think that if your family earns over 100k pa, any racism you encounter is limited to guff from gobshytes.

What I think is funny is the youngsters in Balbriggan rapping in a kinda west Indian London accent, when their ma's from Africa and they are from rural Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ya because no other Irish person has ever sung with an American accent before.

Esho wrote: »
    Her dad's a doctor so maybe went to an international school?
    I think the family is Zambian. Not sure if she was born there.

Personally, I think that if your family earns over 100k pa, any racism you encounter is limited to guff from gobshytes.

What I think is funny is the youngsters in Balbriggan rapping in a kinda west Indian London accent, when their ma's from Africa and they are from rural Dublin.

Yardie jamaican london accent too... I see kids around town also doing it. They are listening to grime music from the UK and getting inspired to emulate in an attempt to impress females.

Acosta wrote: »

Donegal country and western music bruv innit blood

Yardie jamaican london accent too... I see kids around town also doing it. They are listening to grime music from the UK and getting inspired to emulate in an attempt to impress females.

Fair enough!

Donegal country and western music bruv innit blood

That's it exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Shame he didn't get that help from his own family and community before putting himself in the position of being such a threat to the Gardai.

He did get help from his family and community, but it wasn't enough.

They are referring to her speaking accent, not her singing accent.
    I'd presume there's a reason for it, rather than it's all just put on.

I went to secondary school with a guy who had grown up in Saudi Arabia, and went to international school on his compound, so spoke with an American accent.
    He only learned to curse when he came back to Ireland, so he cursed with an Irish accent, which sounded funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Effects wrote: »

I've never seen a restraining order prescribed by a psychiatrist. Was that how they helped?

She speaks with an American accent, why?

I like her btw just think its weird. Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

So, why the expectation for others (non-medical professionals) to do more, when those who have the most influence, and time to be around him, can't?

It's a cop out. An attempt to dismiss his own responsibility (by the family), and to jump on the gravy train of compensation. He crossed a very clear line, and reaped the consequences. I have zero interest in Ireland following the US with this kind of rubbish.. making excuses for peoples extreme misbehavior, and placing blame where there should be none.

Gruffalux wrote: »

Wow! I have never heard anyone speak like this "cover up incompetence with compassion" and calling out the crazy virtue signalling.
    Thanks for posting this- the current situation makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

She speaks with an American accent, why?

I like her btw just think its weird. Or am I missing something?

Yeah, you can hear a bit of that in her voice. But then so what? A friend of mine has been mistaken for an American on more than one occasion because he has such a soft Cork accent. Also I was in school with lads who sounded very American for some reason. I guess they just loved American things a lot. Each to their own I guess.

Wow! I have never heard anyone speak like this "cover up incompetence with compassion" and calling out the crazy virtue signalling.

She's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

She has some great books too, I'd personally recommend Infidel. It's a great story about her ideological evolution, from living in a country that takes Islam very seriously, to living in secular Europe.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Yeah, you can hear a bit of that in her voice. But then so what? A friend of mine has been mistaken for an American on more than one occasion because he has such a soft Cork accent. Also I was in school with lads who sounded very American for some reason. I guess they just loved American things a lot. Each to their own I guess.

OK so seems its a conscious decision.

"Denise began to change her accent. “I couldn’t do school the way I wanted to do it unless I sounded like I passed in white spaces. So I looked for examples of people who spoke and were listened to and they tended to have a certain accent… I adopted their mannerisms in order to survive in this country.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

"Denise began to change her accent. “I couldn’t do school the way I wanted to do it unless I sounded like I passed in white spaces. So I looked for examples of people who spoke and were listened to and they tended to have a certain accent… I adopted their mannerisms in order to survive in this country.”

"survive" ... please

So, why the expectation for others (non-medical professionals) to do more, when those who have the most influence, and time to be around him, can't?
    It's a cop out. An attempt to dismiss his own responsibility (by the family), and to jump on the gravy train of compensation.

The health system is overstretched in Ireland, and it's probably a contributing factor to his death. There are plenty of people who can't get the help they need, and end up dying as a result.
    We are lucky, in this situation, that no one else was killed as a result of Gerorge's actions on the day.
    It's a bit callous to say his family are just trying to jump on a gravy train.
    They have lost a member of their family, who by their accounts, was a good guy until he started having mental health issues.

I can't take people seriously who completely change their accents like that.
    And in order to "survive" in Limerick she started speaking like an American, rather than someone from where she actually grew up.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The health system is overstretched in Ireland, and it's probably a contributing factor to his death. There are plenty of people who can't get the help they need, and end up dying as a result.
    We are lucky, in this situation, that no one else was killed as a result of Gerorge's actions on the day.
    It's a bit callous to say his family are just trying to jump on a gravy train.
    They have lost a member of their family, who by their accounts, was a good guy until he started having mental health issues.

By their accounts there were 35 armed Gardai, he was holding a butter knife and was laying on the ground surrendering when he was shot. I'd take their version of anything to do with this case with a pillar of salt.

Advertisement