Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,174 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The whole point of policies is that they work, or have a benefit. If they don't work they should not continue. I think you know that though, you're simply acting to justify your absurd position.

That's it really.

The poster knows that and I think thankfully has actually proven what lot of us think now, that they can't even make a argument for it.

The position relates to taking care of existing students and staff. It's not for people external to the university, except possibly for conferences, press releases, etc. Unless you can quote the place that says what you're talking about? I couldn't see it.

Yep the job is to assist people who may not usually attend college.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

bubblypop wrote: »

I'd like to see this diversity officer focusing on people from deprived areas who are the real underrepresented group in higher level education.

I'm doubtful this is the case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'd like to see this diversity officer focusing on people from deprived areas who are the real underrepresented group in higher level education.

I can guarantee you that poor white men in deprived areas will get zero focus of the diversity officer. White privilege and all that .....

I would imagine they do.
    People from disadvantaged areas are encouraged to attend third level by various different schemes, the HEAR scheme being the best known.
    I have no doubt that a diversity officer is focussed on the needs of people from disadvantaged backgrounds, as well as people with disabilities, and even mature students.

• Advertisement

Nope, it isn't. Repeating yourself doesn't make it true, hence why I asked for you to quote the piece that inspired this belief.

Is this the part that made you think that? because it seems a very vague way to say it.

"Have responsibility for the college’s engagement with relevant equality charters providing expert advice to the Executive, Management Group, Athena Swan Departmental Self-Assessment Teams and Athena SWAN Champions, including future submissions for the college or departments. "

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

What is wrong with encouraging and assisting people who may not normally attend third level, for a variety of reasons, attend and educate themselves?
    The job is for someone to do just that.

Why would you have an issue with that?

The money for that job (40-60k salary so would cost the organisation around 80k ish) could pay for as many as 3 PhD candidates who could cure cancer or get us to Mars. The National College of Ireland is education focused but education is not the primary function of universities in Ireland. Science, technology and research will save us, not perfect colour representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've actually seen some of these diversity roles on job sites. I was nearly going to apply for a few just for the crack, but of course my application would be a waste of time, as I don't tick enough boxes. Saying that, what exactly qualifies one to be a diversity officer? Baring the obvious skin deep stuff, what past credentials would help?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I've actually seen some of these diversity roles on job sites. I was nearly going to apply for a few just for the crack, but of course my application would be a waste of time, as I don't tick enough boxes. Saying that, what exactly qualifies one to be a diversity officer? Baring the obvious skin deep stuff, what past credentials would help?

I always find that the absolute minimum a candidate for a job would have to do is to at least read the job posting.

If you had done that you would know what the expected qualifications and desired experience are.
    The successful candidate will have:
    • A least a degree level qualification in a relevant subject area (including Human Resources, Learning and Development, Psychology)
    • Demonstrated experience in designing and leading advances relating to diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism
    • A record of working collaboratively with colleagues at all levels to facilitate positive and collaborative processes and initiatives
    • Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
    • Knowledge of current legislation and good practice in EDI
    • Experience in designing and delivering training in themes pertaining to EDI and Organisational Culture
    • Experience within the Higher Education Sector would be highly regarded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I always find that the absolute minimum a candidate for a job would have to do is to at least read the job posting.

If you had done that you would know what the expected qualifications and desired experience are.

Reading that job description, I would be surprised if some one already involved in student politics etc. there doesnt get the role.

• Advertisement

I had little interest in the job, which should be obvious from my post. I was speaking hypothetically.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I had little interest in the job, which should be obvious from my post. I was speaking hypothetically.

How many of the boxes did you tick tom before you got to the one that excluded you?
    Hypothetically speaking!

Wasn't sure where to post this as there isn't a DP thread on the first few pages, so here will have to do.

Residents of Asbourne House are hunger striking because they aren't being served food by Michelin star chefs

https://twitter.com/NeilRedFM/status/1362366016647548928

In my opinion people like this are completely abusing the good will of the Irish. They aren't fleeing persecution, they are abusing a system that allows itself to be abused.

Wasn't sure where to post this as there isn't a DP thread on the first few pages, so here will have to do.

I guess, the I hate foreigners thread is a good place for this shíte.

Or maybe your posting because the food is not multicultural or too multicultural or because how dare the foreigners something something....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In my opinion people like this are completely abusing the good will of the Irish. They aren't fleeing persecution, they are abusing a system that allows itself to be abused.

Biggest abuse there is the company supplying those meals shafting the utter fcuk out of the Irish taxpayer. They are paid a certain amount per person per day and decide to cut corners by serving up as much cheap crap food as possible. And then the Dept. refuse to do proper inspections on these places for reasons known only to themselves.

More money saved = more money for the Merc or the holiday home in Florida. Some of those companies have been creaming it in for 20 years or more. It's obviously a gravy train for them (no pun intended).

Or maybe your posting because the food is not multicultural or too multicultural or because how dare the foreigners something something....

It's people like you that reduce foreigners to a homogeneous block, with nothing separating them. I don't hate foreigners, I do though have contempt for chancers, which the people complaining in said place seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Residents of Asbourne House are hunger striking because they aren't being served food by Michelin star chefs

Ffs ... Beggars can't be choosers ? Well I guess they can here. There needs to be a major overhaul of our immigration policies here . All it's doing is making millionaires out of hoteliers on the back of us . I know loads of lads who've emigrated included family members and not one of them expected anything from the country they went to , they lived in hostels or rented houses with their own money and paid there way . They need to get rid of half of them NGOs . They must think money grows on trees here with the money we waste on them . This country is going to be in for a rude awakening the next major crash we get.

The money for that job (40-60k salary so would cost the organisation around 80k ish) could pay for as many as 3 PhD candidates who could cure cancer or get us to Mars. The National College of Ireland is education focused but education is not the primary function of universities in Ireland. Science, technology and research will save us, not perfect colour representation.

And the policies to assist people into third level education, may allow people from different backgrounds to do those things also.
    Do you think diversity just applies to people of different colours?

KevRossi wrote: »
    Biggest abuse there is the company supplying those meals shafting the utter fcuk out of the Irish taxpayer. They are paid a certain amount per person per day and decide to cut corners by serving up as much cheap crap food as possible. And then the Dept. refuse to do proper inspections on these places for reasons known only to themselves.

More money saved = more money for the Merc or the holiday home in Florida. Some of those companies have been creaming it in for 20 years or more. It's obviously a gravy train for them (no pun intended).

You can be sure that they've mates in fianna fail and fine gael getting them the catering contracts , same as the hoteliers slipping them a few brown envelopes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Ffs ... Beggars can't be choosers ? Well I guess they can here. There needs to be a major overhaul of our immigration policies here . All it's doing is making millionaires out of hoteliers on the back of us . I know loads of lads who've emigrated included family members and not one of them expected anything from the country they went to , they lived in hostels or rented houses with their own money and paid there way . They need to get rid of half of them NGOs . They must think money grows on trees here with the money we waste on them . This country is going to be in for a rude awakening the next major crash we get.

NGO's are government employees in all but name, the coming recession will not effect their employment.

• Advertisement

It's people like you that reduce foreigners to a homogeneous block

Is it me reducing them to a homogenous block tom is it, or is that what you did?

Why don you tell me then Tom what is the link between multicultiurism and a protest over food quality in direct provision?

statesaver wrote: »
    NGO's are government employees in all but name, the coming recession will not effect their employment.

Where is the face palm emoticon on boards. :confused:

Direct provision centre providers are not NGO's they are "private service providers".

Theyre not the ones that'll be losing their homes or have to emigrate during the next one, all the while watching their pension keep topping up. This country is gonna be an it's arse soon.

You do know what NGO stands for right??....

For a non government organization s they sure love the taxpayers money , to the tune of 5.5 billion per annum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Half the money they get is state funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Just on the Syrian individual who went on hunger strike about his work permit. It was my understanding that Syrians are fast-tracked in the process for obvious reasons, unless something is off.

Well, this article gives a little hint at the issue at hand. Without saying as much, and reading between the lines, the guy has already either applied for or has been granted asylum in another EU country.

If so, sorry bud, you're asylum shopping. I can understand why the Department has taken the stance they have taken.

"However, a spokesperson has said there may be a number of reasons why the Minister for Justice and local TD Helen McEntee is not be in a position to approve a work permit for a person living in direct provision, including where "the applicant has previously made an asylum application in another EU member state or that another member state has already granted that person an international protection status."

https://www.lmfm.ie/news/lmfm-news/mosney-resident-will-continue-hunger-strike-to-death-unless-given-right-to-work/

Edit: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/syrian-man-ends-hunger-strike-over-refusal-of-work-permit-40049740.html

Yes indeed, he was granted asylum in Germany. Claims he was threatened in Germany and came to Ireland.

Even if that was so, there is a competent police force in Germany to deal with any issues that would arise. He's effectively trying to double-claim asylum from Syria (I have sympathy for that) and Germany (no sympathy). My own instinct is he wasn't arsed learning German and found the German employment system cumbersome - which is true for everyone; you need a practicum to fart sideways there. Still, not our problem. Germany is an outstanding place to live once you get stuck-in and play ball. This man is not our responsibility and he has no particular right to access our labour market, especially during these uncertain times where many Irish will find themselves out of work for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Surprised they haven't burnt the place to the ground, this is just another tactic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

An example of letting the veil slip.
    If this is what you think this thread is about, then you obviously failed in portraying the positive aspects of multiculturalism in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Surprised they haven't burnt the place to the ground, this is just another tactic..

!
    Kivaro wrote: »
    An example of letting the veil slip.

Advertisement