Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

flazio wrote: »
    So by implementing extreme conservative policies on people's rights to move here, we keep extreme conservatism out of the country?

Makes sense.

Yes, making it harder for extreme religious fanatacism to enter the country saves us from that.
    Almost any law that enshrines freedom is usually pretty hard on stamping out oppression or keeping oppressors at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So by implementing extreme conservative policies on people's rights to move here, we keep extreme conservatism out of the country?
    Do you think the "welcome all and hope for the best" approach looks to be working out for any country at the moment?
    Is there any European country you'd say is handling multiculturalism really well?

Or, is the conservative attitude to scrutinize newcomers and protect social cohesion a more sensible approach?

so Ireland is still just about finishing the throwing off of the catholic shackles which caused a lot of pain and suffering to many here. I think we can all agree that Ireland was a darker place in the past because of this.

so now imagine if all indicators pointed to a massive rise in support for an even more conservative form of Catholicism, knowing what happened in the past would that not make you want to avoid a doubled down version of that in the future.

You think that by having more Muslims in the country, we will somehow turn into Saudi Arabia, I happen to be more realistic and not scared of names

Makes sense.

Only because you're not comparing like with like.

There is a vast difference between conservatism based on religion vs conservatism based on society. The latter interacts, reacts, and evolves from it's exposure to other expressions within society. Conservatism based on religion resists any such evolution.

And where/what are these extreme conservative policies on people's rights to move here? If anything our current policies are out of alignment with the rest of the world.

bubblypop wrote: »
    You think that by having more Muslims in the country, we will somehow turn into Saudi Arabia, I happen to be more realistic and not scared of names

No, you'd rather dismiss the opinions of others by suggesting that they believe an extreme. Where did that poster say he believed Ireland would turn into Saudi Arabia, or any other Islamic nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guess what the Mo in Mo Salah and Mo Farah is short for?
    Remember when Adolf Farah celebrated Christmas and angry Muslims wrote messages to him?
    Do you agree with the messages? Do you think these people have embraced their new country and are ok with other faiths?
    "You are portraying pagan holiday characters ... this is wrong and Allah is most merciful SO PLEASE REPENT AND REMOVE THIS."
    You are being given the name of our beloved prophet Mohamed and it is better to protect the honourable name and your religion of Islam."
    "Real Muslims not celebrate Christmas!!!"
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/athletics/mo-farah-targeted-racist-abuse-11752246

No, you'd rather dismiss the opinions of others by suggesting that they believe an extreme. Where did that poster say he believed Ireland would turn into Saudi Arabia, or any other Islamic nation?

So what is he afraid of then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tell me, if you are so against Muslims in Ireland why are you supporting businesses that sell to them?
    biko wrote: »
    The Aroma Foods shop in Westside has lot of great foods. I mainly get spices, rice and such but try their Haldiram range.
    Established in 2006, Aroma Foods has been the first and foremost shop in the West of Ireland to provide fresh vegetables, halaal certified meat, Asian frozen fish and groceries to the Asian, Middle Eastern and African communities. Source https://www.aromafoods-galway.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

So now enforcing the law is extreme conservativism?
    And so is acknowledging that there are serious and quite deadly issues with islam?

I love how ‘we’re not going to turn in to <any given muslim country> ‘ is a defence to allow loads of them in. You can acknowledge countries run under islamic beliefs are human rights horror shows yet seem to think those abuses and beliefs get left in those places and not imported...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Cordell wrote: »
    So now enforcing the law is extreme conservativism?
    And so is acknowledging that there are serious and quite deadly issues with islam?

No, but there are also serious and deadly issues with sectarianism but nobody was calling for the restriction of movement of all Irish around the UK. (pre Covid)

No, but there are also serious and deadly issues with sectarianism but nobody was calling for the restriction of movement of all Irish around the UK. (pre Covid)

I think you'll find many called for that during the period when the IRA were blowing innocent people up. The difference being most Irish people didn't believe in the IRA, most people from muslim countries believe in islam.

So what is he afraid of then?

Any number of possible and realistic scenarios. You chose the most extreme, as a way to discredit/dismiss his opinion.

How about 30% population of Ireland being Muslim, with their demands for their cultural and religious customs being taught and observed in our schools, and other public areas?

With such a population base, it would be much more difficult to resist the enclaves that we've seen in other countries, likely in Ireland with whole towns being taken over, where women are pressured to dress/behave as per Islamic beliefs.

Such an increase in numbers is highly possible within a few decades, both from immigration, and birth rates.

I'm guessing you'd have no issue with a town like Longford, being mostly populated by Muslims, where Islamic culture operates above that of Irish culture?

I love how ‘we’re not going to turn in to <any given muslim country> ‘ is a defence to allow loads of them in. You can acknowledge countries run under islamic beliefs are human rights horror shows yet seem to think those abuses and beliefs get left in those places and not imported...

I do agree that Islamic led countries have little in the way of human rights, and I do have issues with that, absolutely yes.

No, I don't believe that Ireland is going to turn into an Islamic country because some muslims come to live here.
    I believe in the laws of this land, anyone breaking the law should be brought before the courts.
    As for people's beliefs, so long as their beliefs are their beliefs, no issue. If they break the law because of those beliefs, different matter.
    However, that's the same for everyone in the country as far as I am concerned.

I do agree that Islamic led countries have little in the way of human rights, and I do have issues with that, absolutely yes.

No, I don't believe that Ireland is going to turn into an Islamic country because some muslims come to live here.
    I believe in the laws of this land, anyone breaking the law should be brought before the courts.
    As for people's beliefs, so long as their beliefs are their beliefs, no issue. If they break the law because of those beliefs, different matter.

Bubblypop... have you looked at the videos online (or visited yourself) of the neighborhoods, and suburb areas in French cities which have been taken over by Muslim populations? The way in which they push their cultural beliefs on the natives (or non-Muslims) and the flight of those people away, due to that pressure...

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gZFGpNdH1A

go on. it's 4 years old, but relevant.

Do you think they give a damn about your beliefs. Your beliefs aren't written in their book which they take as direction for how they and others should live their lives.
    https://theliberal.ie/muslim-privilege-dublin-citizens-disgusted-as-up-to-100-people-gather-for-friday-prayers-with-gardai-phoned-12-times-despite-shutting-down-outdoor-catholic-gatherings/

Any number of possible and realistic scenarios. You chose the most extreme, as a way to discredit/dismiss his opinion.

How about 30% population of Ireland being Muslim, with their demands for their cultural and religious customs being taught and observed in our schools, and other public areas?

With such a population base, it would be much more difficult to resist the enclaves that we've seen in other countries, likely in Ireland with whole towns being taken over, where women are pressured to dress/behave as per Islamic beliefs.

Such an increase in numbers is highly possible within a few decades, both from immigration, and birth rates.

I'm guessing you'd have no issue with a town like Longford, being mostly populated by Muslims, where Islamic culture operates above that of Irish culture?

Well, I don't believe any school should be involved in religious education, so as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't ever be an issue. If people wish their children to be educated in their religion then it should happen in whatever place of worship they bring their children to.

I don't know if you know longford well, but it is a town that is populated by foreign nationals and ethnic minorities by a huge amount!
    I wouldn't like to see any man try to tell a young one around longford what not to wear! :)

As for Muslim people and Muslim culture, that depends entirely on those people. As I have told you, I do know Muslims, in different.countries, and I can honestly say they are all different. So why.Would I be worried?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Agreed. Too much fear mongering from people. Our democracy is strong enough to deal with the odd headbanger. God knows, we have enough of them already among the "natives".

Bubblypop... have you looked at the videos online (or visited yourself) of the neighborhoods, and suburb areas in French cities which have been taken over by Muslim populations? The way in which they push their cultural beliefs on the natives (or non-Muslims) and the flight of those people away, due to that pressure...

To be honest, I haven't. I have been in France but not in any 'Muslim enclaves'
    But I have been in, and used to live in and have friends and family living in areas of Northern English cities, which are held up as 'no go areas' I have seen videos showing areas I know well, as being somehow not English anymore because of muslims.
    It's rubbish and untrue

Edit, I will watch the video though.

Do you think they give a damn about your beliefs. Your beliefs aren't written in their book which they take as direction for how they and others should live their lives.
    https://theliberal.ie/muslim-privilege-dublin-citizens-disgusted-as-up-to-100-people-gather-for-friday-prayers-with-gardai-phoned-12-times-despite-shutting-down-outdoor-catholic-gatherings/

I'm afraid my beliefs are written in statutes, so whether they believe them or not, doesn't matter. They are law.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I haven't. I have been in France but not in any 'Muslim enclaves'
    But I have been in, and used to live in and have friends and family living in areas of Northern English cities, which are held up as 'no go areas' I have seen videos showing areas I know well, as being somehow not English anymore because of muslims.
    It's rubbish and untrue

Watch the video. Then expand your search and see that this is not an isolated report.

I'm afraid my beliefs are written in statutes, so whether they believe them or not, doesn't matter. They are law.
    Hmmm. You are a bit naive.

Watch the video. Then expand your search and see that this is not an isolated report.

tower hamlets in London is one such enclave, check out videos there and stories about butchers selling pork being intimidated out, sharia control zones etc.

You depict a nightmare scenario, assuming that most Muslim people abide by an extremist interpretation of the religion.
    That doesn't seem the case to me, it seems more like most Muslim people today in the world exist under extremist governments, such as the one in Iran, or even worse, under the control of warlorlds.

I would expect most Muslim people here in this country are more than delighted to escape their totalitarian Islamic governments and terrorists, surely.

tower hamlets in London is one such enclave, check out videos there and stories about butchers selling pork being intimidated out, sharia control zones etc.
    you won't get far with a live and let live outlook in the Saint-Denis Banlieue of Paris in secular France.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You depict a nightmare scenario, assuming that most Muslim people abide by an extremist interpretation of the religion.
    For one to be a Good Muslim one must reject modern western secular societal values unfortunately.

Of course, most of the posters here, myself included, are not Muslims, or from other cultures.
    Without that input, it seems like a waste of broadband, does it not.

For one to be a Good Muslim one must reject modern western secular societal values unfortunately.

Well that is hardly true.
    What makes a good Muslim?
    Do you know?

Because that was not written into the Koran, before "modern western secular societal values" even existed?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well that is hardly true.
    What makes a good Muslim?
    Do you know?
    Yes. A devout Muslim work Colleague told me.

• Advertisement

Yes. A devout Muslim work Colleague told me.

One person cannot speak for the many.
    It's rubbish, and I hope you told them so.

Advertisement