Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

You said I'm not Irish because I don't have a clan name so back up your claims or retract them.
    Don't be a chicken now and try weasel out.
    I don't have an Irish surname does that mean I am not Irish?
    If you wish to be so petty then I'll say that you are the exception that proves the rule. Does that make you feel happier? Now toddle off and get your DNA checked rather than playing out this "I'm a poor little lost soul who knows not where he comes from" melodrama to an indifferent audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If you wish to be so petty then I'll say that you are the exception that proves the rule. Does that make you feel happier? Now toddle off and get your DNA checked rather than playing out this "I'm a poor little lost soul who knows not where he comes from" melodrama to an indifferent audience.

What utter scutter.
    Are people with Norman surnames irish in your fantasyland of racial purity in the Irish clan names?

What utter scutter.
    Are people with Norman surnames irish in your fantasyland of racial purity in the Irish clan names?
    Yes they are. As the saying goes "more Irish than the Irish themselves".

Yes they are. As the saying goes "more Irish than the Irish themselves".

Did you say if you don't have an Irish clan name your are not Irish?

But yet now you claim people of Norman family names are Irish yet they very clearly are not Irish Clan names so can you please explain this in the context of your previous statement on the matter?

This is tiresome. Get a DNA test. You are dealing in hypotheticals where no hypotheticals need to exist. Acting like the only Gay in the Village from Little Britain sketch show. How would you deal with finding out that you are only a common or garden Kelly, O'Donoghue or Molloy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

yaknowski wrote: »
    Tis ulitmately about cheap labour for business isn't it. Drove down to McDonalds for some breakfast. Three Mid-40s South-Asian lads sitting outside in their cars waiting for delivery.
    Good luck to them earning a crust, but really it's only for big business' benefit and the taxpayer is on the hook for the rest of the costs associated with living here.

A mate of mine has a car wash with a load of romanians working in it. He had hassle before them getting lads to do Monday to Friday, no bother at weekends with young lads off school/ college. He hasn't washed a car in years, splits the takings with the lads working there. So far, so good!
    Only problem is they all do 20hrs officially so they get half dole n the government to pay the rent. It'd be cheaper for the taxpayer to buy my mate an automatic car wash!

Are you calling me infantile?

Nope. I'm not calling you infantile. As I said, consider B's posts and mine.

I'm really tired of having to spell every little thing out no matter how obvious they are.

This is tiresome. Get a DNA test. You are dealing in hypotheticals where no hypotheticals need to exist.

You made the statement that if you don't have an Irish clan name you are not irish. Support your own statement or admit it was nonsense.

I have never said I didn't get a DNA test but my surname as passed on by the males of my line is not a clan name. Not ever. For the past hundreds of years my family name has married with people of Irish surnames and British. Those Irish and British family also have norse and French genetics like most of the Irish population added in so what the do you think I'm going to find in a DNA test a magic surname generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

20 states in the USA allow marriage between first cousins.
    3 more allow it if the people getting married are over 55 or 65 depending on the state. That country really is a **** hole
    ****hole UK also allow marriage between cousins, but it's just not done among the general population, unless you include Pakistanis.

You made the statement that if you don't have an Irish clan name you are not irish. Support your own statement or admit it was nonsense.

I have never said I didn't get a DNA test but my surname as passed on by the males of my line is not a clan name. Not ever. For the past hundreds of years my family name has married with people of Irish surnames and British. Those Irish and British family also have norse and French genetics like most of the Irish population added in so what the do you think I'm going to find in a DNA test a magic surname generator.
    I've been reasonable up until now. I stand over my statement. You obviously have your own issues. I'm not going to agree with you despite how overbearing you choose to be. In fact I will push back on you and say you are the bullsh!tter who can't reconcile your family tree but claim to be Irish although you won't do the heavy lifting involved in determining your origin.
    I will not engage with you on this topic further. Do your own research. If you don't have the pedigree in your hand and in the absence of DNA tests you have only "strongly held beliefs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've been reasonable up until now. I stand over my statement. You obviously have your own issues. I'm not going to agree with you despite how overbearing you choose to be. In fact I will push back on you and say you are the bullsh!tter who can't reconcile your family tree but claim to be Irish although you won't do the heavy lifting involved in determining your origin.
    I will not engage with you on this topic further. Do your own research. If you don't have the pedigree in your hand and in the absence of DNA tests you have only "strongly held beliefs".

Nah. Its completely unreasonable for you to decide you know someones nationality and everyone else is wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nah. Its completely unreasonable for you to decide you know someones nationality and everyone else is wrong.
    It isn't about Nationality. Ireland as a nation is in its infancy. It is about origin and many
    Travellers have the same origins as those in the settled community who carry the same sept\clan names.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps it's because many Irish have lost the sense of themselves and their heritage. This is probably more pronounced in the cities than countryside where communities are stronger.

I've been reasonable up until now. I stand over my statement. You obviously have your own issues. I'm not going to agree with you despite how overbearing you choose to be. In fact I will push back on your and say you are the bullsh!tter who can't reconcile your family tree but claim to be Irish although you won't do the heavy lifting involved in determining your origin.

I have had a DNA test. I know the makeup of my family. I know my family name.
    I have a reasonable knowledge of where it came from but not when.
    My family name has lived in Ireland for several hundreds of years.
    I can trace my family throughout Ireland using available Irish records (births/deaths/marriages/census).

By any metric I am Irish I don't need you to say so to validate anything about me.

My name is not a clan name, you stated quite clearly. If you dont have a clan name you are not Irish.

But I am so are all my extended family so are all of the other people who live in ireland but do not have clan names such as (Campbell, Burns, Reid, Graham, Scott) or any of the gaelicised name such as those of norman origin.

Our Tánaiste does not have an Irish clan name is he not Irish to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I can trace my family throughout Ireland using available Irish records (births/deaths/marriages/census).

By any metric I am Irish I don't need you to say so to validate anything about me.

My name is not a clan name, you stated quite clearly. If you dont have a clan name you are not Irish.

But I am so are all my extended family so are all of the other people who live in ireland but do not have clan names such as (Campbell, Burns, Reid, Graham, Scott) or any of the gaelicised name such as those of norman origin.

Our Taoiseach and Tánaiste do not have Irish clan names are they not Irish to you?

Why are you getting so worked up about it?

RandRuns wrote: »

Do you agree with that poster that those without Irish Clan names are not Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Robbie, its not a big deal. Who cares really ?

WrenBoy wrote: »

It doesn't matter than I an Irish person am being told I'm not Irish because I lack the correct name?

You don't see the broader issue with accepting intolerance like that?

Do you agree with that poster that those without Irish Clan names are not Irish?

I couldn't care less.

And what if my child does not look Irish because his mother is not Irish and has my non traditional Irish surname and is told he is not Irish. Should I just accept that too?

Attitudes like this posters should be called out. I am Irish and so are my children and no name will ever change that

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less.

Then stay out of the discussion!

Then stay out of the discussion!

Are you a mod now?

And what if my child does not look Irish because his mother is not Irish and has my non traditional Irish surname and is told he is not Irish. Should I just accept that too?

Maybe you should try to get someone to teach him how to be calmer than his father and let the little things slide.

I have nationality from more than one country. I'm not claiming to be anything but Irish despite how many passports I may possess.
    You need to come to terms with the differences between culture, nationality, ethnicity and origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

It doesn't matter than I an Irish person am being told I'm not Irish because I lack the correct name?

I think it's down to a lack of understanding of history. The Normans took over England after the battle of hastings in 1066 and proceeded to implement a class system where they were top dogs and naturally their DNA would spread throughout the population. The same happened to Ireland in the 12th century. Walsh is among the common "Irish" surnames, and it is Irish but I put it in inverted commas because it comes from Normans i.e a foreign bloodline to the indigenous Irish. But what is Indigenous Irish today, when the gene pool has been essentially "diluted" to use a phrase many on here will be familiar with as it's used by racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

But what is Indigenous Irish when your gene pool has been essentially "diluted" to use a phrase many on here will be familiar with as it's used by racists.

Its always a dead give away :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol. Its drivel telling someone Irish on the internet they are not Irish.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I was told by a poster on here that I wasn't really Irish, and no-one actually believes that children born abroad to Irish parents are actually irish!!

I couldn't care less.

Folks.. go back a little bit and reread where this whole line of discussion started (mine and bubblypop), and how he's managed to lead you into murky waters, far beyond the original line of posts (both yours and his). This is what he does...

You can't win because each post will have a tiny morsel of new information that leads you towards another, and another, until the original points are irrelevant, and you're left with him controlling the narrative, with you responding in a less than careful manner.

My advice. Let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bubblypop wrote: »
    I was told by a poster on here that I wasn't really Irish, and no-one actually believes that children born abroad to Irish parents are actually irish!!

Id imagine most people believe that. if your parents are both Irish what else could you be...

Advertisement