Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

RandRuns wrote: »
    Maybe you should try to get someone to teach him how to be calmer than his father and let the little things slide.

1593b88313e27cfd90187f26d3dd7027363fb396.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Lol. Its drivel telling someone Irish on the internet they are not Irish.

Remarkable to see a mod liking a post in which a poster is backseat modding - an action for which any other poster would get a warning at the very least.

Veil slipping Joey lad.

1593b88313e27cfd90187f26d3dd7027363fb396.gif

;) We believe you lad, we believe you.

Id imagine most people believe that. if your parents are both Irish what else could you be...

I have no idea, but that's what a poster here told me.

Are you a mod now?

If you don't care about a discussion why get involved?

• Advertisement

If you don't care about a discussion why get involved?

I know it's pointless relpying to you, because you just want to argue in circles, but here goes;

Reread my post, I didn't say I didn't care about the discussion, I said I don't care whether someone says my name is Irish or not.

Comprende?

I know it's pointless relpying to you, because you just want to argue in circles, but here goes;

Reread my post, I didn't say I didn't care about the discussion, I said I don't care whether someone says my name is Irish or not.

Comprende?

They didn't say my name was not Irish they implied I or anyone else without a traditional Irish Clan name is not Irish.
    That's a very big difference.
    My name is not Irish in origin but I am very much Irish.

Do you understand the difference?

They didn't say my name was not Irish they implied I or anyone else without a traditional Irish Clan name is not Irish.
    That's a very big difference.
    My name is not Irish in origin but I am very much Irish.

Do you understand the difference?

I already told you I don't care about your name.

Just let it off, it's not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

This is interesting. There is a difference between a nationality or citizenship and an ethnicity. There is a distinct Irish ethnic group and I find there would be a lot less conflict if people just accepted this simple fact.

So you have the crew that won't accept a person is truly Irish if they're not white, have an Irish name, can trace there ancestors back dozens of generations etc. Then you've the crowd who weren't even born here, have zero Irish heritage and really know nothing our traditional culture but seem to consider themselves as Irish as a gaeilgeoir descended from some ancient Irish family. Both are as bad as each other for inflaming tensions.

I already told you I don't care about your name.

Just let it off, it's not important.

That is not how you spell nationality!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It doesn't matter than I an Irish person am being told I'm not Irish because I lack the correct name?

You don't see the broader issue with accepting intolerance like that?
    I couldn't care less.
    Then stay out of the discussion!
    Are you a mod now?

Remarkable to see a mod liking a post in which a poster is backseat modding - an action for which any other poster would get a warning at the very least.

Veil slipping Joey lad.

Mod:

Can you all quit the sniping at each other. The best advice was posted above

Let it go.

Move on from this back and forth bicker fest because it's derailing the thread now.

Any questions, my PM inbox is open, do not respond to this on thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

If I go on holiday to Spain and get a tan am I a different person?
    You are the same, except it increases your chances of getting skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

You are the same, except it increases your chances of getting skin cancer.

Thanks for that clarification. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Interesting PR piece on Ellie Kisyombe in today’s Indo about how she’s enjoying her own home in Dublin now after 10 years in DP. No mention of her time in England of course.
    She fled Malawi but still felt ok to go back to visit.
    Also an ad for her sauces.

She's getting the full RTE treatment as well....a 5min video in the featured video section of rte.ie about her new sauces and culinary journey. She's looking for some Govt grants to get the business up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

https://www.thejournal.ie/state-to-end-direct-provision-by-2024-and-replace-system-with-not-for-profit-accommodation-5364917-Feb2021/

Asylum seekers to receive their own rental homes within four months of arrival by 2024. Despite offering better conditions than we currently do, government predict we will bizarrely receive less asylum seekers than we did in 2019, 2018 pre covid bascally. Single asylum seekers will where possible receive their own one bed flats. All in the article.

Luckily by then young Irish people will be spoilt for choice for affordable purchase and rental property, and we won't be in any Covid hangover debt.

What an embarrassment of a country we are.

I seem to remember Leo standing in the Dail saying anybody who thinks asylum seekers should be able to just arrive and be handed a house wasn't living in the real world.

Yet here we are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

^^^^ Gonna need a bigger airport.

Wow, reading the comments on that journal article people are angry, they know that this is just going to lead to people being pushed down housing lists etc.

I'm assuming as well the payments to asylum seekers will have to increase in concert with getting your own accomodation.

How incredibly ridiculous that they're not even going to try and bother reducing processing times or judicial reviews etc

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Great to hear Direct Provision is to be ended! This was a long time coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

This country is fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Glad to hear Direct Provision is ending if it means there is a more thorough vetting process to filter out the chancers just looking to take advantage of our welfare system. (unlikely)

I wonder how many people would be in Direct Provision now if we had a pre-celtic tiger economy?

I'd we do just take in every Tom, Dick and Harry, there is going to be some serious societal division in the coming decades and probably a few suicide bombers in the mix.

But hey world, look how cool and open we are, we love the gays and the abortions and the different coloured people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I wonder if all those on the housing list will also be getting own key accommodation on the same basis - more of the same old ****e from our political masters. Might as well put a sign up - Ireland Open to Everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wow, reading the comments on that journal article people are angry, they know that this is just going to lead to people being pushed down housing lists etc.

I'm assuming as well the payments to asylum seekers will have to increase in concert with getting your own accomodation.

How incredibly ridiculous that they're not even going to try and bother reducing processing times or judicial reviews etc
    It is actually going to be a lot worse than pushing people down housing lists; according to the Dept. of Housing it will cause homelessness in Ireland. So Irish people will become homeless in order to accommodate the new arrivals.

Direct Provision replacement was RTE's number one progressive item on their agenda, so it was no surprise that even with everything else going on in the world and in Ireland, they led off their morning show with this news and had it as the topic for their first segment.

With other European countries actually reversing their asylum acceptance, including Denmark officially stating that they want zero asylum seekers in the future, we have Ireland now officially announcing to the world that if asylum seekers can make their way to Ireland, then they are guaranteed their own door accommodation within 4 months. And this is prior to determining whether or not their asylum application is valid, even though the majority of asylum applications in the past have been deemed invalid.

For those lucky enough to be heading out to work this morning, the onus will be on the workers of this country to pay the cost of this new plan. If there was ever a big red flag being waved at people from every corner of this planet to come to Ireland to avail of free housing and the subsequent numerous benefits, then here we have it. It is a terrible idea and will only greatly exasperate the asylum numbers flooding to Ireland when they open up access to the country again after Covid. We just cannot afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The change to our asylum system has the potential to be the most disastrous policy implemented by an Irish government in my lifetime but the carefully constructed taboo around the subject means it will receive little honest scrutiny, much less criticism, from mainstream actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This country is fcuked

Love how they time these things to be after the life of a government so they dont have to fight an election when the crime stats jump to record highs and the planes of people ‘without passports’ come flooding in

Kivaro wrote: »
    We just cannot afford it.

Realistically, no country could afford it for long.. even if they weren't experiencing both a housing shortage for citizens, or covid.

We really need to start campaigning against this stupidity if we ever want to force our politicians to put the needs of Irish people ahead of their desire to virtue signal. Even if they're doing this for the best reasons (which I doubt), it's still extremely short-sighted and negligent considering their first duty is to the people already living in Ireland.

The sad thing is that nobody wants to admit what the world is going to be like in a year or two.. clutching at the idea that Ireland will remain a relatively successful economy in the face of massive debt for all European nations, and the US to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We already know most Asylum Seekers are coming from safe countries. Most are here for economic reasons. I don’t think we are under Moral obligation to house them unless they are genuine cases. Especially since Irish people will have to become homeless in order to facilitate the new arrivals. The elites running this country are completely out of touch. It is so hard to find a place to rent in many places and private renters are already competing against the HAP recipients. We are already in a housing crisis.

Are the government trying to cause problems in our society. It appears that it’s the NGO’s that run this country not the politicians. This is going to go very very wrong.

Let’s not forget there are people living in DP centres working and have had their asylum claim accepted. Are we supposed to house them too?

Post Covid we are going to have to pay back our huge borrowing.

mohawk wrote: »
    I don’t think we are under Moral obligation to house them unless they are genuine cases.

I often wonder about this idea of us having some kind of moral obligation.. and why it's only ever spoken about with Western nations in mind.

Sure, most countries will provide some degree of asylum for those that genuinely need the help, but the idea of a moral obligation suggests far more than what is generally available around the world.

And TBH I'd question the morality of accepting many cases, when we know that we're simply weakening the ability of the origin country/nation to change/develop, since we (and others) are taking in it's population, and those people rarely leave once gaining access to the new country. Shouldn't we morally be obliged to deny most claims, in the hopes that they will return to their country and improve it? Therefore, increasing the standard and future for others of their group.

I dunno about the whole Asylum gig. I understand that it should be available for some people.. but.. I've always wondered whether we're simply weakening certain areas of the very people who would want those areas to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

DeadHand wrote: »
    The change to our asylum system has the potential to be the most disastrous policy implemented by an Irish government in my lifetime but the carefully constructed taboo around the subject means it will receive little honest scrutiny, much less criticism, from mainstream actors.
    This is it. There's an official echo chamber constructed by political parties and media with a convenient bogeyman of the 'far right looming':rolleyes:
    There are 17000 people who our authorities simply let wander into the populace about to be granted residence in our country without exception with the illegal Irish in the US and Australia used as the excuse.

There is nothing as top priority as reducing the length of time taken to process yet the priortity of the policy is to be seen to be holier than thou in the eyes of the neoliberal world.

There's some retired judge on Radio 1 keening about the inhumanity and that he encouraged those people who land here to 'sing their songs, tell their stories' - this is the level of discourse allowed on our airwaves.
    Irish citizens must be prioritised over anyone else and that is the long and short of it, asylum process must be transparent to both asylum seekers and the Irish public.
    Otherwise, there *will be* a big shift away from established parties and another very important lesson not learned from other Western countries.
    Ireland's establishments appear to think we are special.
    We are not.
    A few pissy feelgood columns in foreign newspapers and bloody Buzzfeed really aren't worth the wreckage they are foisting on the Irish population.
    A massive housing crisis for working people in a small nation and THIS is what is regarded as priority instead of an efficient, robust asylum process.
    I am really annoyed about this.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    This is it. There's an official echo chamber constructed by political parties and media with a convenient bogeyman of the 'far right looming':rolleyes:
    There are 17000 people who our authorities simply let wander into the populace about to be granted residence in our country without exception with the illegal Irish in the US and Australia used as the excuse.

An echo chamber. Hahahaha Hahahaha Hahahaha. That must be the sound of my laughter echoing of the walls of the echo chamber.
    But in this case the echo chamber is the nation of Ireland.

I see no major political parties championing anti foreigner policies in ireland because it is not popular. Oh how the racists yowl.

• Advertisement

Numbers are going to increase massively, that's a fact. Can only think of one politician in the whole country who would be opposed to this, independent Michael Collins down in West Cork. For everyone else it's about increasing their "brand" image as far as I can see. Can't believe I'm saying it but wish we had a party like the Danish Social Democrats in Ireland. Sensible proposals and solutions that will ensure social stability in Denmark for years to come. Everytime I read the papers here it is just depressing. I see last week as well we are offering 17,000 illegals pathway to Irish citizenship.....Why aren't the businesses who employ these people prosecuted, if they are illegal they not paying tax, yet we refuse to do anything about it. Sick and tired of what this country is becoming...

Advertisement