Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

An echo chamber. Hahahaha Hahahaha Hahahaha. That must be the sound of my laughter echoing of the walls of the echo chamber.
    But in this case the echo chamber is the nation of Ireland.

I see no major political parties championing anti foreigner policies in ireland because it is not popular. Oh how the racists yowl.
    That is your modus operandi.

It doesn't work anymore, son.

Numbers are going to increase massively, that's a fact. Can only think of one politician in the whole country who would be opposed to this, independent Michael Collins down in West Cork. For everyone else it's about increasing their "brand" image as far as I can see. Can't believe I'm saying it but wish we had a party like the Danish Social Democrats in Ireland. Sensible proposals and solutions that will ensure social stability in Denmark for years to come. Everytime I read the papers here it is just depressing. I see last week as well we are offering 17,000 illegals pathway to Irish citizenship.....Why aren't the businesses who employ these people prosecuted, if they are illegal they not paying tax, yet we refuse to do anything about it. Sick and tired of what this country is becoming...

We will get more of those politicians, unfortunately it will be way too late when we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

An echo chamber. Hahahaha Hahahaha Hahahaha. That must be the sound of my laughter echoing of the walls of the echo chamber.

I see no major political parties championing anti foreigner policies in ireland because it is not popular. Oh how the racists yowl.

I have to say, it's extremely satisfying to see the racists scurry around crying about the end of Direct Provision :D

I see no major political parties championing anti foreigner policies in ireland because it is not popular.

The problem is one of association. The parties or groups that previously would have campaigned against immigration, or the proposed ideas, are all somewhat nutty. In that their agendas, often include idiotic ideas such as traditional catholic beliefs, or more xenophobic attitudes.

There hasn't been a moderate kind of party yet, that hasn't dipped itself into the crazy agenda pool. Yet.

But sure, there isn't the popular belief yet about immigration, because Irish people are still enjoying the effects of a relatively stable economy (and a national broadcaster that avoids any possible negative perspective on immigration). While some people were negatively affected, the numbers remained quite low, and easily dismissed as being issues unrelated to immigration.

However, we are going to see that change. Debt from covid, the likely closure of businesses either due to Brexit or knockon affects from a shrinking post-covid world economy, the instability within US politics and the US economy (debt financing), means that the average Irish person will have to face a far more fragile Irish economy, and more taxation.
    Oh how the racists yowl.

Once more, you're being terribly inaccurate with the term, since this concerns immigration which includes large numbers of white people, who would be similarly affected by the desire for stricter controls. By your standard, and application of the term, we could easily call you a bigot.. not that I am, but it bears consideration (due to your blatant generalisation and inaccurate use of the racist "card").

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

The far right are suddenly worried about a housing shortage. What a laugh, they couldn't give a damn. Pathetic little brexiteer wannabes.

• Advertisement

bocaman wrote: »
    The far right are suddenly worried about a housing shortage. What a laugh, they couldn't give a damn. Pathetic little brexiteer wannabes.

Where did you get this from? Where is this far right? or even that they're brexiteers?

I assume you can quote and explain which posts you're referring to within the thread... or point to some articles to show which external groups you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What? the Dept of Housing are 'far right' and 'Brexiteer wannabes'?
    Wow.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I have to say, it's extremely satisfying to see the racists scurry around crying about the end of Direct Provision :D

The word racist used to mean something.

Now when I see someone or a group of people being called racist it makes me question if the are actual racists or just people who disagree with “the correct opinion”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The independent has run another fluff piece about an immigrants story.
    I bet this one won't nearly garner as much abuse as the last one posted here because well quite simply the colour of the ladies skin is lighter.

For immigrants and emigrants, travel doesn’t feel like a luxury – our homesickness is unbearable’
    Travel restrictions are necessary, says Maria Golpe, but they have brought heartache for many of the 644,000 non-Irish people like her living in Ireland

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/for-immigrants-and-emigrants-travel-doesnt-feel-like-a-luxury-our-homesickness-is-unbearable-40132630.html

God, this is such a lame response. Debate the policies and the potential outcomes. If you are in favour of them that's perfect but maybe say why rather than childish responses

• Advertisement

Imagine calling someone a Quisling because they agreed with the democratically elected government.

Well look no further this thread has it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Maybe it's due to the fact that migrants from africa arent a success story in Ireland , a 40 % employment rate , most relying on the state for housing and benefits etc, while a section of their kids act like they're from Compton. Look at parts of london , that's what parts of Ireland will end up as in the next decade or two . There's far to many social problems, and all we're doing is creating a larger population dependant on state hand outs. This country is up to it neck in debt , we've a housing crisis but let's keep adding to it by housing people that have proven they're not an economic benefit to the country. It's about time politicians cared for people who paid their wages instead of people who contribute nothing to the exchequer

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Imagine calling someone a Quisling because they agreed with the democratically elected government.

Well look no further this thread has it all.

I wouldnt call you a quisling. Quisling is for someone who would be in favour of policies that would hurt their own native peoples. Your just more of a globalist who ended up in Ireland imo.

The irish times ran had a piece about Irish emigrants to Liverpool two days ago.

President Michael D Higgins has in the past acknowledged the huge contribution of Irish emigrants in Britain to keeping the country solvent. Between 1940 and 1970 the equivalent of more than €5 billion was remitted to Ireland from workers in the UK.

Woah that's a lot of money those immigrants were taking out of that countries economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/a-love-letter-to-the-liverpool-irish-1.4492770%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Where did you get this from? Where is this far right? or even that they're brexiteers?

I assume you can quote and explain which posts you're referring to within the thread... or point to some articles to show which external groups you're talking about?

Touched a nerve have I? Well there's Hermann Kelly, former press officer for Nigel Farage and president of the so called Irish Freedom Party. If you can recall when Nigel came over to Dublin to address the faithful and Hermann, John Waters and co fawned over him.

Then there's Niall McConnell of Siol na hEireann. Calls himself Irish but has no problem teaming with far right anti-Irish groups in England.

Far right/west brit as far as I'm concerned.

Touched a nerve have I?

Nope. Although I do get somewhat annoyed at vague accusations.
    Well there's Hermann Kelly, former press officer for Nigel Farage and president of the so called Irish Freedom Party. If you can recall when Nigel came over to Dublin to address the faithful and Hermann, John Waters and co fawned over him.

Then there's Niall McConnell of Siol na hEireann. Calls himself Irish but has no problem teaming with far right anti-Irish groups in England.

Far right/west brit as far as I'm concerned.

So.. nothing to do with the thread content, or the posters in this thread. Grand.

All cleared up,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The irish times ran had a piece about Irish emigrants to Liverpool two days ago.

President Michael D Higgins has in the past acknowledged the huge contribution of Irish emigrants in Britain to keeping the country solvent. Between 1940 and 1970 the equivalent of more than €5 billion was remitted to Ireland from workers in the UK.

Woah that's a lot of money those immigrants were taking out of that countries economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/a-love-letter-to-the-liverpool-irish-1.4492770%3fmode=amp

And why would we knowingly do that to ourselves ?

And your point is ?? I'd family members working in England at the time including an uncle who sent money home every week to help my grandparents with his younger siblings. They worked there ass off in England . They got nothing in handouts compared to section of migrants here got free modern housing and loads of benefits and have done nothing but bleed the system .You're clutching at straws again

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Maybe it's due to the fact that migrants from africa arent a success story in Ireland , a 40 % employment rate , most relying on the state for housing and benefits etc, while a section of their kids act like they're from Compton. Look at parts of london , that's what parts of Ireland will end up as in the next decade or two . There's far to many social problems, and all we're doing is creating a larger population dependant on state hand outs. This country is up to it neck in debt , we've a housing crisis but let's keep adding to it by housing people that have proven they're not an economic benefit to the country. It's about time politicians cared for people who paid their wages instead of people who contribute nothing to the exchequer

The same goes for the other Irish groups that cause nothing but trouble- why should I support people.who don't bother working and hole-sit.
    These folks are Irish for between 200 - 800 + years. Not just first generation.
    And there's less first generation that the other shower.

Esho wrote: »
    The same goes for the other Irish groups that cause nothing but trouble- why should I support people.who don't bother working and hole-sit.

Yes I agree with that , does adding to it and creating a larger dependant class do anything benefical for the economy. No it doesn't

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    And why would we knowingly do that to ourselves ?

Are we part of the EU and so allow the free movement of people. Have we powers to stop those people sending money from the country. The largest immigrant groups in this country are Polish and British. So unless you suggest we leave the the EU and cancel the the agreement with the UK we are powerless to stop most of our immigrants doing it.

Regards
    Rob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Yes I agree with that , does adding to it and creating a larger dependant class does nothing for the economy.

We'll just have to get up earlier and work harder to pay for all these houses.

Whenever I'm allowed back to work that is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Are we not part of the EU and so allow ...

Regards
    Rob

Dear Rob
    We are part of the EU.

Regards
    Wren.

mohawk wrote: »

Let’s not forget there are people living in DP centres working and have had their asylum claim accepted. Are we supposed to house them too?

Post Covid we are going to have to pay back our huge borrowing.

The international protection system broke over the last 10-15 10 years and is not fit for purpose anymore. I'm beginning to think it's a bit of a free for all.

Your point is the elephant in the room- there is nowhere to go for anyone leaving direct provision except to go homeless.

I'm happy to see that the current direct provision regime is over and will be replaced by NGO run one. It will improve conditions for the people in there.
    It will also give the NGOs some actual work to do, and they can in-fight over who gets the contracts.
    Which will be both entertaining and show out some true colours too.

statesaver wrote: »
    We'll just have to get up earlier and work harder to pay for all these houses.

Whenever I'm allowed back to work that is :(

And you'll be getting taxed higher to pay back your covid payments . By the time we reach pension age it'll be pushed back to 70 years of age .

Because we're expected to provide for our own people. It's a pretty basic facet of civilisation that we look after our own. I have my own issues with Traveller culture, for example, but Travellers are Irish, and should be provided for, until they're capable of providing for themselves (and we should do whatever we can to make that happen).

It makes little logical sense though to increase the numbers of people who will be dependent on us, and have increasingly shown over the last two decades, to hold little loyalty or appreciation for the provision received.

We already have a sizable foreign born population, and their subsequent Irish born children. They're unlikely to be leaving any time soon. It makes more sense that we have the resources to provide for them, and get them in a position of providing for themselves, than further increasing said population of dependents, and spreading existing resources wider.

Resources that are already lacking in being able to provide for the existing population. I could understand, somewhat, this desire for more immigration, if we were assured that the Irish economy would continue to grow stronger, with a greater ability (and stability) to provide for increased numbers... but there's little sign that's going to be the case. The most positive estimations are that the economy remains as it is.. which is still incapable in providing adequate provisions for the overall population. A shrinking economy is far more likely, without jobs being available for new arrivals, and less investment available to produce them.

Are we not part of the EU and so allow the free movement of people. Have we powers to stop those people sending money from the country. The largest immigrant groups in this country are Polish and British. So unless you suggest we leave the the EU and cancel the the agreement with the UK we are powerless to stop most of our immigrants doing it.

Regards
    Rob

Actually, it depends on where the money is coming from. If they're working, and sending their earnings abroad, there's nothing anyone can do. That's perfectly acceptable throughout the world. (although many countries do place limits on what can be sent out, which is apparently legal to do)

However, if we're talking about provisions through welfare or other government supplements, then, it's likely the government could block the transfer of those funds to other countries. A basic agreement on receipt of supplements would provide the basis for doing so.

There's no need to leave the EU, and it would be economic suicide in any case. The freedom of movement for people and goods, doesn't necessarily extend to money...

..Why aren't the businesses who employ these people prosecuted, if they are illegal they not paying tax, yet we refuse to do anything about it. Sick and tired of what this country is becoming...

That is a very.good point- I think these businesses are taken to task.
    But there should be a f- off clause or a probation period for citizenship. Keep your nose clean for 7 years and you keep your passport.
    The current rubber-stamping of citizenship is a boad of lollox.

For example, how many Irish-born citizens fought for Isis? 1
    How many citizens ? 20 odd.

We need to have a Swiss model here
    But polticians in Ireland don't.give care, I think they look at immigration as a subject to avoid as they get on with whatever they think is important.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Dear Rob
    We are part of the EU.

Regards
    Wren.

Apart from the auto correct typo which was obvious. I'll assume you agree with the test of my post.

Regards
    Rob

• Advertisement

That is a very.good point- I think these businesses are taken to task.
    But there should be a f- off clause or a probation period for citizenship. Keep your nose clean for 7 years and you keep your passport.
    The current rubber-stamping of citizenship is a boad of lollox.

For example, how many Irish-born citizens fought for Isis? 1
    How many citizens ? 20 odd.

We need to have a Swiss model here
    But polticians in Ireland don't.give care, I think they look at immigration as a subject to avoid as they get on with whatever they think is important.

I like the australian model . You get a years visa , when that year is up and your employer thinks that your a good worker he'll sponsor you to stay on and then you can apply for residence. If you over stay your visa and get caught youre deported. It's a very fair system limits the amount of spongers they take it . The health system in australia would put Ireland to shame

Advertisement