Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bambi wrote: »
    Macrron is doing what Merkel did in Germay to fend off Le Pen , lots of tough talk on immigration etc during the election campaign and once back in power do sweet FA

:mad: Or as The Who sang 'won't get fooled again'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Perhaps because it was broadly welcomed?

I have to say it is pretty strange to see so many people who are on the fringe in terms of their views not realize it. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of comedic value in it but it's also quite sad in many ways.

What if... it actually was broadly welcomed?

As was stated earlier in this thread the people welcoming this are the immigrant NGO industry and the compliant media. Anybody with half a brain can see that this policy on immigration is going to lead to serious problems and already is in certain areas of the country. Anybody who dares to question the policy is labelled as a racist/right wing nutter.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As was stated earlier in this thread the people welcoming this are the immigrant NGO industry and the compliant media. Anybody with half a brain can see that this policy on immigration is going to lead to serious problems and already is in certain areas of the country. Anybody who dares to question the policy is labelled as a racist/right wing nutter.

TBF there's a lot more people than just the immigrant ngo's, the compliant media, and... the politicians.

Ireland has always had a degree of problem with corruption/self-interest over the common good... in addition to the need to virtue signal. Previously, it was safer since it just affected aid given to Africa, but now, Ireland is rich. On paper, at least.

Nah. Let's be completely honest here. There's a lot of people (and organisations) who have committed themselves to seeing immigration and multiculturalism happen here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

mohawk wrote: »
    The word racist used to mean something.

Now when I see someone or a group of people being called racist it makes me question if the are actual racists or just people who disagree with “the correct opinion”.

Anyone who calls you a racist is lazy or cannot backup their point with facts.

True story.
    A woman at work disagreed with me about building the Trump wall, the first thing out of her mouth was to say it was racist to build a wall.
    I just pointed my finger at her and laughed.
    She went red in the face, stuttered a few words and walked away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Are we part of the EU and so allow the free movement of people. Have we powers to stop those people sending money from the country. The largest immigrant groups in this country are Polish and British. So unless you suggest we leave the the EU and cancel the the agreement with the UK we are powerless to stop most of our immigrants doing it.

Regards
    Rob

You are right, but I don't see or hear any stories about Polish and British gangs terrorizing whole communities. If George Nkencho had been British or Polish, it would have been a 48 hour story. but he was Black so there was screaming and shouting and dumb politicians commenting.

• Advertisement

I certainly hope so.. about Europe.. but... a part of me fully expects them to return to their virtue signalling ways, and short-sighted desires to expand their workforce. Oh, I'm very hopeful that they don't.. but really.. what have we got to go by? France is the only country, apart from Denmark to really look at tackling the problems with multiculturalism. Most others are seeking to find convenient reasons for the failure of integration policies, blaming their own institutions rather than considering what else might be at play.

So.. while I'm hopeful (due to France, really), I wouldn't be too surprised to see Germany and others revert to encouraging asylum seekers and refugees of all sorts.

This is what the Söder who is leading the polls to be the next Chancellor has said "[t]hroughout the European migrant crisis, Söder has sharply criticized the migrant policies of Angela Merkel several times. He warned of a "huge security gap" that remained because the whereabouts of hundred thousands of migrants was still unclear and he strongly doubted that the integration of so many people could succeed. In Söder's view, the Germans did not want a multicultural society. Refugees should return to their home countries whenever possible. The dictum "Wir schaffen das" ("We can do it") of Chancellor Merkel was "not the right signal", instead he suggested "Wir haben verstanden" ("We have understood")"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Bambi wrote: »
    Macrron is doing what Merkel did in Germay to fend off Le Pen , lots of tough talk on immigration etc during the election campaign and once back in power do sweet FA

But if Le Pen wins...??? That will put the cat amongst the pigeons for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

I always found it very bizarre when you're called a racist for wanting to have a sensible immigration policy on you borders. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I always found it very bizarre when you're called a racist for wanting to have a sensible immigration policy on you borders. :(

I'd say it's more the fact that most racist people are really bad at hiding their racism, despite thinking they are pulling it off perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

But racism is the nuclear option...fits all situations, with no defense allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

bocaman wrote: »
    The far right are suddenly worried about a housing shortage. What a laugh, they couldn't give a damn. Pathetic little brexiteer wannabes.

Millenials and gen z have nowhere else to go other than the far right unless they are from a wealthy family. Globalist folks must have forgot this. They'll remember now.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Millenials and gen z have nowhere else to go other than the far right unless they are from a wealthy family. Globalist folks must have forgot this. They'll remember now.

I think it's fairly apparent that the majority of decent people are disgusted by the far right.

Make your opinions known. I know I've shown my complete lack of respect and trust in our politicians, but I'll still let them know how I feel on issues. My parents do it too, and have spoken similar about DP, and the housing initiatives.

As for RTE... I don't know, but I suspect people just assume that they'll be ignored rather than they're being told how people really feel. I've never known anyone who had been interviewed or made a part of their research on issues like this, so I always get the feeling that they just poll particular areas or certain types of people... Admittedly, I have submitted various "letters to editors" and other feedback and been ignored.. :D

It is possible that if enough people let their opinions known.. while (this is important) sticking as much to unemotional and relevant facts/statistics, we might see some kind of shift in RTE, or the politicians. They both rely somewhat on the long-term acceptance (or lethargy) of the public... if people stop listening and start talking, we might see some change.

Thanks for your message of support. I feel genuinely hopeless. Both my parents needed essential surgery recently and their files kept getting 'lost'. My mother still hasnt got a basic procedure that is available through NGOs in the developing world. We've paid most of what we've earned our whole lives to the state, which we believed in. We've nothing left to give and now we're told we're worthless, newcomers will get the fruits of our labour and we'll just have to die in poverty. I'd like to emigrate but my parents gave me everything and I can't just leave them to this genocidal government.

Perhaps because it was broadly welcomed?

I have to say it is pretty strange to see so many people who are on the fringe in terms of their views not realize it. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of comedic value in it but it's also quite sad in many ways.

What if... it actually was broadly welcomed?

It isn't broadly welcomed. It's a lie. That's the problem.

I think it's fairly apparent that the majority of decent people are disgusted by the far right.

Of course. But what option do ordinary folk have? You can vote for ff/fg which is voting for your own slavery. You can vote SF but they've committed themselves to immigration at all costs and have no firm plan to give basic decent first world services to their wage payers. So you have to vote for thw likes of Gemma basically. Pains me to say it because she's a racist loon. What alternative have we? Keeping in mind most people are not idealists and just want home and employment. :eek::eek:

Of course. But what option do ordinary folk have? You can vote for ff/fg which is voting for your own slavery. You can vote SF but they've committed themselves to immigration at all costs and have no firm plan to give basic decent first world services to their wage payers. So you have to vote Gemma basically. Pains me to say it because she's a racist loon. What alternative have we? Keeping in mind most people are not idealists and just want home and employment. :eek::eek:

We have now reached a point on boards.ie where posters want Gemma O Doherty running the country.

I just wanted to leave space to let that sink in for readers.

And you still think you are in the majority with those views?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sron briste

We have now reached a point on boards.ie where posters want Gemma O Doherty running the country.

Well done on illustrating the problem perfectly. Someone posts that Gemma is a racist loon and you reply that they want her running the country. You seem to get off on calling people racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

I got called a racist for saying there is a small but growing Black Gang problem in Urban Ireland
    How do people feel about that?It's not good for the Good Black Community they need to stand up against it

I got called a racist for saying there is a small but growing Black Gang problem in Urban Ireland
    How do people feel about that?It's not good for the Good Black Community they need to stand up against it
    There are immigrants who are an addition to our country and there are some who aren't. In my own working class area we have some lovely people from other countries (including my wife and some of our best friends) and we have others who don't teach their kids manners, litter the place and don't clean up after their dogs. As those kids hit their teens, with drink and drugs, anti-social behaviour inevitably follows. Of course, there are Irish people who are the same but you couldn't live in my area and not think there are problems around immigration here that need to be addressed. It would be lovely to be able to discuss these problems like adults, without narrow-minded, virtue-signalling tosspots screaming "racist" at anyone who tries to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There are immigrants who are an addition to our country and there are some who aren't. In my own working class area we have some lovely people from other countries (including my wife and some of our best friends) and we have others who don't teach their kids manners, litter the place and don't clean up after their dogs. As those kids hit their teens, with drink and drugs, anti-social behaviour inevitably follows. Of course, there are Irish people who are the same but you couldn't live in my area and not think there are problems around immigration here that need to be addressed. It would be lovely to be able to discuss these problems like adults, without narrow-minded, virtue-signalling tosspots screaming "racist" at anyone who tries to do so.

This statement doesn't really make sense.
    Is it because there is a ready made 'discussion topic' about misbehaving people if they are descendants of or are themselves immigrants whereas with conventional Irish people who behave the same, get a pass, because they can't be told to go back to where they came from or that they shouldn't be here.

Or does asking this make me a narrow-minded, virtue-signalling screaming tosspot?

• Advertisement

This statement doesn't really make sense.
    Is it because there is a ready made 'discussion topic' about misbehaving people if they are descendants of or are themselves immigrants whereas with conventional Irish people who behave the same, get a pass, because they can't be told to go back to where they came from or that they shouldn't be here.

Or does asking this make me a narrow-minded, virtue-signalling screaming tosspot?
    In my area it's overwhelmingly immigrants from a particular region who are behaving like this. That is what I see. I had nothing against people from that region when I moved here. There is still a majority of Irish people in the area who are almost all sound and do teach their kids manners, keep the place clean etc.

I'd say it's more the fact that most racist people are really bad at hiding their racism, despite thinking they are pulling it off perfectly.

And yet, when asked to provide evidence of that racism, the claimant either goes silent, or refers to something that needs some serious mental flips, to be racist.

Some people make racist remarks. That does happen. But there's a growing number of people who scream racism whenever they hear anything that involves another racial or cultural group, that isn't complimentary. Or worse yet, scream racism for actions or comments that relates to behavior, and just because the person is Black or whatever, it's to be considered racist.

Sure they are. By the true far right. Again, this relates to the point above. The far right have been used as the boogeyman by many of those who support immigration, and assign just about every opinion that doesn't match their own to it.

If we're talking the far right, with racial superiority, and hatred of other racial groups.. then, yes, most people would be disgusted by them. If we're talking about a far right that want tighter immigration controls, a more selective process for citizenship, and for (legal) minorities to be treated exactly the same as natives once accepted into the country, then.. that wouldn't be far right.

Yes, and no. It depends on the country. For example, Germany, due to it's history with far right movements, then there's greater acceptance of their views, and as such, they'll be the go-to group when everything else is crap.

For Ireland though, we've never really had a far right movement comparable with what happens in other countries, so..

I suspect we'll be seeing some alternative parties spring up over the next few years representing the middle, the conservative expectations, and they'll be the answer most Irish people will want. Hopefully, it'll be done by people who are not career politicians.. all the same though, they'll be labelled as far/alt right by those who don't want people to have options.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you have to vote Gemma basically. Pains me to say it because she's a racist loon.
    Fanta, tbh that is not what the poster said, and I think you know it.

I suspect we'll be seeing some alternative parties spring up over the next few years representing the middle, the conservative expectations, and they'll be the answer most Irish people will want. Hopefully, it'll be done by people who are not career politicians.. all the same though, they'll be labelled as far/alt right by those who don't want people to have options.

Yes, that'll happen, will take time though. And when it does the main traditional parties will just alter their policies to stop any vote loss. Right now they don't need to. It's cynical but that's how they operate. Probably one of the main reasons I'm dissilusioned with politics in Ireland, there seems to be no moral characters involved.

Ireland is in for a turbulent few years on the economic front, I don't buy the bounce back theory. Our huge debt, changing tax environments worldwide, our over reliance on FDI, automation, Pension deficits continent wide which look to me like they could crash entire social welfare systems, a deeply struggling European Union on many fronts etc..There doesn't seem to be many bright spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

What you should be letting sink in is that Irish people, women and children are going homeless and some bogus asylum seeker will be handed the keys of their own door accommodation after 4 months here, like I mean really sit down, take a minute and let that sink in....

And you still think the majority support that...

biko wrote: »
    Fanta, tbh that is not what the poster said, and I think you know it.

You've just quoted him saying, "You have to vote Gemma".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Have to" is not same as "wants". It's not even the same as "will".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem is if common sense is repeatedly ignored, if so many people believe the direction of the country is of concern to them and they are ignored, and if they see decisions taken that make zero sense except to those making them you will inevitably end up with a Trump or a Gemma running things.

Because it reaches the point where people just don't care anymore and they will vote a certain way to frighten those in to reality they see as hopelessly out of touch.

Immigration is one of those lightning rod issues.

When you see Irish people living in actual tents along canals in the city center or in the Phoenix Park in the middle of a housing crisis and then at the same time the government is telling asylum seekers (most of whom are bogus) that you'll have secure own door accommodation within 4 months of arriving...

...I really don't think that is going to sit well with a lot of people.

So the housing crisis is just for the natives now?

That's what a lot of people will feel regardless of any nuances.

Yes, that'll happen, will take time though. And when it does the main traditional parties will just alter their policies to stop any vote loss. Right now they don't need to. It's cynical but that's how they operate. Probably one of the main reasons I'm dissilusioned with politics in Ireland, there seems to be no moral characters involved.

Ahh well the banking/property crash, and the absolute lack of accountability for those involved, killed any trust I had in Irish politics. That it could be established that corruption, favoritism, and negligence happened, and not one politician faced prison time... that spoke volumes to me.
    Ireland is in for a turbulent few years on the economic front, I don't buy the bounce back theory. Our huge debt, changing tax environments worldwide, our over reliance on FDI, automation, Pension deficits continent wide which look to me like they could crash entire social welfare systems, a deeply struggling European Union on many fronts etc..There doesn't seem to be many bright spots

Agreed. Ireland is going to have to struggle in this new environment to retain it's current standard of living, and I seriously doubt that it'll be in a position to succeed. All the while, more migrants who need government supports and/or training/education are encouraged to come, while there is little hope for any growth in employment. It just boggles the mind the logic that is present by the people who refuse to consider the problems that are coming.

• Advertisement

The problem is if common sense is repeatedly ignored, if so many people believe the direction of the country is of concern to them and they are ignored, and if they see decisions taken that make zero sense except to those making them you will inevitably end up with a Trump or a Gemma running things.

Because it reaches the point where people just don't care anymore and they will vote a certain way to frighten those in to reality they see as hopelessly out of touch.

Immigration is one of those lightning rod issues.

When you see Irish people living in actual tents along canals in the city center or in the Phoenix Park in the middle of a housing crisis and then at the same time the government is telling asylum seekers (most of whom are bogus) that you'll have secure own door accommodation within 4 months of arriving...

...I really don't think that is going to sit well with a lot of people.

So the housing crisis is just for the natives now?

That's what a lot of people will feel regardless of any nuances.

I work in I.T. where a huge portion of the workforce is made up of immigrants, not just from the EU but all over the world. They are as angry and frustrated as Irish people with what is going on.

Advertisement