Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So the housing crisis is just for the natives now?

That's what a lot of people will feel regardless of any nuances.

Well that's what the government are now saying. We're paying their wages and we're worthless in terms of policy decision.

They don't care that the middle and working classes can't afford to house themselves or access a developed world standard of health care but at the same time we've to support new arrivals, to an extremely high standard. Housing within 4 months of arrival surely must be the most generous set up anywhere. Even Sweden isn't offering this.

What really upset me about the RTE report is they didn't even ask anyone who didn't 'broadly welcome' the news for an opinion. We're just to tolerate it. I wonder are the Irish too passive. If this happened in France most of Paris would be on fire right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I work in I.T. where a huge portion of the workforce is made up of immigrants, not just from the EU but all over the world. They are as angry and frustrated as Irish people with what is going on.

I know. One of my Russian friends says if Irish people knew the truth of how this country was being abused we'd have a revolution.

Some don't go that far but the message is broadly the same. We are too naive and vulnerable as a country due to mad policies.

Yet again the same mistakes being made. Lessons never learned.

I know. One of my Russian friends says if Irish people knew the truth of how this country was being abused we'd have a revolution.

Some don't go that far but the message is broadly the same. We are too naive and vulnerable as a country due to mad policies.

Very true. Try talking to Indians and Iranians about what is going on, they feel very comfortable expressing what they think :) And it wouldn't go down well with the Green Party....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I stumbled across a group on Facebook the other day, one of those [insert nationality] in Ireland groups and clicked into the other recommended ones for a goo.... What I seen and read shocked and saddened me

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

jmreire wrote: »
    But racism is the nuclear option...fits all situations, with no defense allowed.

This is it mate. No matter what logical arguments you lay out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

I'd say it's more the fact that most racist people are really bad at hiding their racism, despite thinking they are pulling it off perfectly.

Well, I'm sure some are... But that is a bit redundant when we need to implement proper border policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Anyone see the mass brawls between Travellers and Africans in Dundalk the last two days.

As time goes on racial lines are being drawn in this country.

DerekC16 wrote: »
    Anyone see the mass brawls between Travellers and Africans in Dundalk the last two days.

That goes without saying, that's why those of us with 2 braincells to rub together oppose it, we're introducing problems into this country we've never had before. Once the horse has bolted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭DelaneysMule

We have now reached a point on boards.ie where posters want Gemma O Doherty running the country.

I just wanted to leave space to let that sink in for readers.

And you still think you are in the majority with those views?

Wow, that is really crazy. We need Gemma O Doherty running the country because we are ending the horrible Direct Provision system? I think that is lunacy.

biko wrote: »
    "Have to" is not same as "wants". It's not even the same as "will".

Oh so he doesn't want Gemma running the country despite saying you have to vote for her. This doesn't seem to make logical sense?

• Advertisement

So because a few Travelers and Africans have had fights recently, we can extrapolate from that that all Travelers and all Africans are now locked in a race based long term brawl are they? Do you think that's a logical conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

So because a few Travelers and Africans have had fights recently, we can extrapolate from that that all Travelers and all Africans are now locked in a race based long term brawl are they? Do you think that's a logical conclusion?

You've been asleep for the last 18 months it seems.

You've been asleep for the last 18 months it seems.

Are you saying I have been in hibernation for the last 18 months? I certainly have not. Bears are the only animals I know that go into hibernation for a very long period of time. I'm pretty sure they can't type posts into a website as I am doing at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Are you saying I have been in hibernation for the last 18 months? I certainly have not. Bears are the only animals I know that go into hibernation for a very long period of time. I'm pretty sure they can't type posts into a website as I am doing at the moment.

:rolleyes:

Oh so he doesn't want Gemma running the country despite saying you have to vote for her. This doesn't seem to make logical sense?

Do you struggle with reading comprehension or are you trolling me?

It's like you're just making up a narrative in your head and running away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

I got called a racist for saying there is a small but growing Black Gang problem in Urban Ireland
    How do people feel about that?It's not good for the Good Black Community they need to stand up against it

From experience living in the US, the black community, are only heard from when they are complaining about something.
    Sure there was protests against the police.
    But there was 0 protests about Black on Black murder.

Last year in Boston out of about 55 murder victims.

0 Asian victims. 0 protests

1 white woman, murdered by a white man. 0 protests

About 15 hispanics.0 protests.

About 40 Blacks. 0 protests.

MURDER MAP
    https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2020

I got called a racist for saying there is a small but growing Black Gang problem in Urban Ireland
    How do people feel about that?It's not good for the Good Black Community they need to stand up against it

If you are called a racist, it means you are being bullied.

This statement doesn't really make sense.
    Is it because there is a ready made 'discussion topic' about misbehaving people if they are descendants of or are themselves immigrants whereas with conventional Irish people who behave the same, get a pass, because they can't be told to go back to where they came from or that they shouldn't be here.

Or does asking this make me a narrow-minded, virtue-signalling screaming tosspot?

No, I would go with something else. Something a lot harsher.

What side won, my money is on the Travellers.:D
    They have more experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

The problem is if common sense is repeatedly ignored, if so many people believe the direction of the country is of concern to them and they are ignored, and if they see decisions taken that make zero sense except to those making them you will inevitably end up with a Trump or a Gemma running things.

Because it reaches the point where people just don't care anymore and they will vote a certain way to frighten those in to reality they see as hopelessly out of touch.

Immigration is one of those lightning rod issues.

When you see Irish people living in actual tents along canals in the city center or in the Phoenix Park in the middle of a housing crisis and then at the same time the government is telling asylum seekers (most of whom are bogus) that you'll have secure own door accommodation within 4 months of arriving...

...I really don't think that is going to sit well with a lot of people.

So the housing crisis is just for the natives now?

That's what a lot of people will feel regardless of any nuances.

Or maybe it'll be seen as a case of No Irish Need Apply. With this own door accommodation within 4 months for anyone that rocks up with an asylum claim (legitimate or not) it'll be very easy for that perception to take hold. Especially with ring fenced funding and O'Gorman and the Immigration NGOs trumpeting this for all to see, then people are going to start asking where's our own door accommodation? But they'll be told go on the housing lists and wait your turn, and nothing will happen except they'll see more new houses going to people who have skipped the queue.

So No Irish Need Apply will be the perception, and once it does watch out. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Edit: Also on this topic, the Overton window has been pulled so far to the left that anyone asking legitimate questions or even saying something like we want no open borders policy or let's have an immigration system that actually prioritises legal immigration like Denmark or Australia runs the risk of being called racist.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Id imagine most people believe that. if your parents are both Irish what else could you be...

Do you honestly think people see the Gallagher brothers, Morrissey/Johnny Marr, Johnny Rotten, Boy George, Jimmy Carr as Irish people?

I'm born and raised in England to Irish parents, moved here at 14 and have lived here for over 20 years. I've always been seen as nothing else other than a English person as my time here, not bothered by that, but just that's the reality.

Do you honestly think people see the Gallagher brothers, Morrissey/Johnny Marr, Johnny Rotten, Boy George, Jimmy Carr as Irish people?

I'm born and raised in England to Irish parents, moved here at 14 and have lived here for over 20 years. I've always been seen as nothing else other than a English person as my time here, not bothered by that, but just that's the reality.

I'm Irish.
    Born and lived in England till I was almost a teenager.
    There's no-one calling me English

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm Irish.
    Born and lived in England till I was almost a teenager.
    There's no-one calling me English

Well obviously there are going to large swaths of Irish people who will never agree. Depends on what your accent is like of course, but even after living here for 20 years I don't have a hint of an Irish accent, strangers will for example ask me am I on holiday here. I'm obviously always going to be seen as English and don't expect anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One of the main advantages with multiculturalism pushed by the pro side is food.

The Italians, Chinese and Indians have tonnes of restaurants, even the Japanese despite being only a thousand or so.

Where are all the African restaurants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The new policy of own door accommodation for new arrivals claiming asylum will also help to move the multicultural society project along nicely.

Al Jazeera news even covered the announcement.

"If you build it they will come"

The new policy of own door accommodation for new arrivals claiming asylum will also help to move the multicultural society project along nicely.

Al Jazeera news even covered the announcement.

"If you build it they will come"

You really have to wonder why Al Jazeera picked it up.... And included all the perks the new arrivals will get...

It was like an advertisement

It's almost like it's a plantation all over again.

If you want reduced immigration you have to vote for a candidate that supports those views.
    You may not like his/her other policies, but if you feel strongly enough about immigration problems you have to vote for a candidate that wants to reduce those.
    Hope this makes it a bit more clear.

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen any scrutiny over the naturalisation pathway that the dept of justice is proposing for people currently here working illegally. There seems to have been absolutely no notice paid to it.

Personally I think its good that if people are here already (lets face it we were never going to deport them even if they've broken the law as evidenced by that Brazilian decorator in Gort) that they contribute via tax but my question is are they going to be made to pay tax (and penalties) for all the years they've been here? If they do become citizens (considering they will be low paid) they may be entitled to income support so would not have paid high taxes but they were not entitled to any support but were still subject to income tax while they were working here as 3rd country nationals. If the Government decides to forgive what they should have paid in tax all these years then surely we are all entitled to a refund. I will be interested what the European Commission will have to say if third country nationals who have no claim on special status (like asylum seekers would) are treated more favourably than EU citizens

Also will the Government actually collect the relevant taxes the employers of these people should have been paying? A policy where you ignore that a person/business has been employing an illegal immigrant without paying the relevant tax/prsi would be tantamount to State Aid for the hospitality (etc) sector in my opnion.

How does this naturalisation do anything but encourage more people to come and work illegally? America had an amnesty in 1986 and they're left with the exact same problem but worse now 35 years on

Advertisement