Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

These sexual attacks on our daughters will only increase thanks to the current policies, and I suspect that as more foreigners cause problems the papers will self censor to not "fan the flames of racism" and you won't be able to know the perpetrator's name, unless of course it's Paddy Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

Here's Sorcha Pollak of "New to the parish" fame with another article...

If the Irish government allows this we're in for big trouble, I've a friend on Lesvos Island who regularly posts the happenings from migrants on the island.. From churches vandalised and defecated in, to centuries old olives trees cut down, dogs poisoned, sheep slaughtered and property stolen... All the while NGOs parade around Moira smiling smugly at the locals as can be seen in one video he posted..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/doctors-call-on-government-to-resettle-400-migrants-from-greek-camp-1.4513074?mode=amp

"The Government committed last year to accept 50 people in family groups and 14 unaccompanied minors from the burnt-out Moria migrant camp, but said relocation had been delayed because of the pandemic.

However, doctors involved in the campaign say it is “imminently possible for public health experts to safely move 400 people from Greece to Ireland” and that the structures and protocols already exist to make it happen
    ."

Don't you just love how it jumps from 64 to 400 people without any explanation.. just accept it..

"“At the end of the day there is no alternative, these camps don’t work. If we refuse to engage in a more humane solution we are part of the problem. Covid was a valid concern at the start of the pandemic, but we understand the restrictions and risks now. This is an issue of access to healthcare and human rights. We can deal with the politics after."

Seems like we can deal with the economic costs, the long-term issues, the difficulties, etc later too.

I can't move 5k from my home, but they can move 400 people here, who are likely exposed to covid already.. and with all the associated costs aswell. Wonder will they be required to the full battery of tests for travel, or will their neediness protect them, and us, from infection.

Really wish we have a media or politicians capable of challenging the logic of this stuff.

Then there are other cultures not dissimilar in how they behave to our ethnic status brethren in regards to criminality. A huge chunk of these people dislike the Irish in general and only at the weekend I seen posts online by them talking of repossessing the place. Tools. I certainly believe some cultures fit in more well here than others and we should be doing our best to keep the troublemakers out.

Which culture are you referring to? Nigerian origin people?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

pauly58 wrote: »
    If it means importing more of these sort of characters https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-accused-of-sex-assault-on-teen-who-was-shopping-with-mother-40210022.html then the answer is no thanks.

Anyone on a work visa or here due to fears or claims of persecution must be deported if they commit any form of assault on the residents or citizens of the state whom welcomed them in.

No appeals, no media or NGO campaigns to be allowed remain, no ifs or buts. Out they must go. This should be an automatic and non negotiable result of the committal of criminal acts in the state by foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

"The Government committed last year to accept 50 people in family groups and 14 unaccompanied minors from the burnt-out Moria migrant camp, but said relocation had been delayed because of the pandemic.

However, doctors involved in the campaign say it is “imminently possible for public health experts to safely move 400 people from Greece to Ireland” and that the structures and protocols already exist to make it happen
    ."

Don't you just love how it jumps from 64 to 400 people without any explanation.. just accept it..

"“At the end of the day there is no alternative, these camps don’t work. If we refuse to engage in a more humane solution we are part of the problem. Covid was a valid concern at the start of the pandemic, but we understand the restrictions and risks now. This is an issue of access to healthcare and human rights. We can deal with the politics after."

Seems like we can deal with the economic costs, the long-term issues, the difficulties, etc later too.

I can't move 5k from my home, but they can move 400 people here, who are likely exposed to covid already.. and with all the associated costs aswell. Wonder will they be required to the full battery of tests for travel, or will their neediness protect them, and us, from infection.

Really wish we have a media or politicians capable of challenging the logic of this stuff.

Who is burning down all these camps? This is always very curious in its like of clarification by the MSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Here's Sorcha Pollak of "New to the parish" fame with another article...

If the Irish government allows this we're in for big trouble, I've a friend on Lesvos Island who regularly posts the happenings from migrants on the island.. From churches vandalised and defecated in, to centuries old olives trees cut down, dogs poisoned, sheep slaughtered and property stolen... All the while NGOs parade around Moira smiling smugly at the locals as can be seen in one video he posted..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/doctors-call-on-government-to-resettle-400-migrants-from-greek-camp-1.4513074?mode=amp

The woman whose written about 30 or 40 articles about the racism of the Irish, wants us to take in more minorities to our racist hellscape. Surely they'd be better of in some anti racist continents like the Middle East or Africa? We really shouldn't be subjecting these people to our barbarous ways.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Anyone on a work visa or here due to fears or claims of persecution must be deported if they commit any form of assault on the residents or citizens of the state whom welcomed them in.

No appeals, no media or NGO campaigns to be allowed remain, no ifs or buts. Out they must go. This should be an automatic and non negotiable result of the committal of criminal acts in the state by foreigners.

I just don't get what's so difficult about this. It should be a mininum standard. If I go to a bar or another person's house and start breaking their rules, I should expect to be kicked out of the place.

If I was fleeing genuine danger and seeking asylum you can be sure both I and my family would squeaky clean and do absolutely nothing to draw negative attention to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I just don't get what's so difficult about this. It should be a mininum standard. If I go to a bar or another person's house and start breaking their rules, I should expect to be kicked out of the place.

If I was fleeing genuine danger and seeking asylum you can be sure both I and my family would squeaky clean and do absolutely nothing to draw negative attention to myself.

I think some of the perps who lit the fire were sentenced with a five year prison terms. Afgan lads.

And they should serve the punishment for the offense in their home country. I'd have no issue with the Irish government using our taxes to subsidise the prison time in foreign countries, if it avoids the excuse that we must keep them in Ireland, to serve their time. I suspect it would be far cheaper anyway.

• Advertisement

Who is burning down all these camps? This is always very curious in its like of clarification by the MSM.

No idea.. I haven't read or seen any articles following up on it.. and I doubt we will, unless it's to reinforce the image of these people as being victims.

[quote="[Deleted User];116618498"
    I can't move 5k from my home, but they can move 400 people here, who are likely exposed to covid already.[/quote]

Yes you can.
    There are no restrictions if you want to move

biko wrote: »
    These sexual attacks on our daughters will only increase thanks to the current policies, and I suspect that as more foreigners cause problems the papers will self censor to not "fan the flames of racism" and you won't be able to know the perpetrator's name, unless of course it's Paddy Murphy.

Names are not published if there is a rape suspect. To protect the victim. Otherwise people are named.
    You know that though
    You have no way of knowing that sexual assaults will increase because of foreign people moving in here. Sounds like a very suspect statement to make.....

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Roma I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

biko wrote: »

Mod

Back this up to me via PM with any sort of credible evidence and ill lift this threadban:

Dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yes you can.
    There are no restrictions if you want to move
    Do you mean move abroad? There are fines being dished out at the airport and the much vaunted quarantine hotel for returnees.
    At least according to the meeja.

I actually took klaz's point is he / she is unable to travel beyond 5km, not that he wants to go to jeddah as a refugee.

Do you mean move abroad? There are fines being dished out at the airport and the much vaunted quarantine hotel for returnees.

I actually took klaz's point is he / she is unable to travel beyond 5km, not that he wants to go to jeddah as a refugee.

No, you can move house here.
    You can move overseas also.
    The fine is for non essential travel.
    The 5km limit is just for exercise, no limits for essential reasons

I figured most people would be intelligent enough to know that k was the meant to be km. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Is ireland big enough to disappear in? Are these people moving to the UK with a fake name as illegal migrants? Surely with computerisation of records, the UK is beginning to be a small place to be an invisible illegal migrant?

• Advertisement

Is ireland big enough to disappear in? Are these people moving to the UK with a fake name as illegal migrants? Surely with computerisation of records, the UK is beginning to be a small place to be an invisible illegal migrant?

Sure, they are. Unless the authorities are actively looking for someone, there's plenty of space to hide, in either the countryside, or the heavily populated cities. It's not even a matter of hiding.

Illegal migrants manage to live in both Ireland and the UK for years... because there's little to no will in the police to do anything about them, since they have Zero political support.

These people don't need to hide at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They are the salt of the earth wonderful hard working honest people .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The very term multiculturalism makes no sense to me.

What does it actually mean?

Being Irish (or whatever) isn't a cultural thing is it? There are certain things that make us Irish but not every irish person lives their lives that way so I don't really get what multiculturalism actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

bubblypop wrote: »
    Names are not published if there is a rape suspect. To protect the victim. Otherwise people are named.
    You know that though
    You have no way of knowing that sexual assaults will increase because of foreign people moving in here. Sounds like a very suspect statement to make.....

Bubblypop,
    Over 1,200 women were reportedly sexually assaulted during the 2015–16 public New Year's Eve's celebrations in Germany, in most cases by men of non-European origin. 24 women reported being raped. In many of the incidents, women in public places had been surrounded and assaulted by groups of men. The sexual assaulters had mostly been described as "North African", "Arab", "dark-skinned" or "foreign".For more info, google "2015–16 New Year's Eve sexual assaults in Germany"
    In Islamic Countrys, men and women are kept tightly segrated, with the women kept covered up. Any women not covered up is considered "sluttish" and available. And so when thousands of males or eastern origin meet western women, wearing western fashions and not a burqa or hijab in sight, tand this was the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

In Ireland it means getting rid of white Protestants and replacing them with black Protestants.

Multiculturalism is the colonisation of western nations by non-western peoples.

You don't see cries for multiculturalism of Africa, S.America, or Asia. You only see it being promoted as being something for western nations to embrace.. and it's usually promoted for Africans, M.Easterners, and those from S.America... Asians, typically, are ignored completely. As are white people from Eastern Europe.

So, multiculturalism is aimed at the dilution of western culture by introducing other non-western cultures, demanding that they be recognised and embraced.

There's an image in my head whenever i think of multiculturalism. A group sitting around a campfire of all races, and cultures, holding hands and singing together. It completely ignores the past history, genocides, wars, etc that each person has as part of their national or cultural identity.. because the campfire is just going to magically make everyone forget their differences. All the while, the owner of campfire, is forced to sit outside the group, ferrying food, and drinks to ensure that no fighting erupts. :D
    Being Irish (or whatever) isn't a cultural thing is it? There are certain things that make us Irish but not every irish person lives their lives that way so I don't really get what multiculturalism actually is.

Not anymore. We used to be a strong Catholic country, but that's dying out. We used to be big drinkers, but that was put a stop to. Associated to the drinking, was the reputation and identity as people who drank and partied, but the pubs are dying, as is the traditional atmosphere of partying. Even the friendliness that Irish people once had, has become sharper, more suspicious..

I think you need to step outside of Ireland for a moment and consider other cultural, and national groups. Their identity is important to them, or they simply can't escape it. It could be linked directly to their race, or historical experiences.. but it's there nonetheless.

I've found that most other nationalities have an awareness of self, as a group cultural identity, which seems to be disappearing in Ireland. Oh sure, it might come out to a limited extent on Paddy's day, or some other celebration, but it doesn't stay around for long. Instead, for Ireland, that identity is more likely to be of a county affiliation, or some other grouping..

Multiculturalism is the colonisation of western nations by non-western peoples.

You don't see cries for multiculturalism of Africa, S.America, or Asia. You only see it being promoted as being something for western nations to embrace.. and it's usually promoted for Africans, M.Easterners, and those from S.America... Asians, typically, are ignored completely. As are white people from Eastern Europe.

So, multiculturalism is aimed at the dilution of western culture by introducing other non-western cultures, demanding that they be recognised and embraced.

There's an image in my head whenever i think of multiculturalism. A group sitting around a campfire of all races, and cultures, holding hands and singing together. It completely ignores the past history, genocides, wars, etc that each person has as part of their national or cultural identity.. because the campfire is just going to magically make everyone forget their differences. All the while, the owner of campfire, is forced to sit outside the group, ferrying food, and drinks to ensure that no fighting erupts. :D

Not anymore. We used to be a strong Catholic country, but that's dying out. We used to be big drinkers, but that was put a stop to. Associated to the drinking, was the reputation and identity as people who drank and partied, but the pubs are dying, as is the traditional atmosphere of partying. Even the friendliness that Irish people once had, has become sharper, more suspicious..

I think you need to step outside of Ireland for a moment and consider other cultural, and national groups. Their identity is important to them, or they simply can't escape it. It could be linked directly to their race, or historical experiences.. but it's there nonetheless.

I've found that most other nationalities have an awareness of self, as a group cultural identity, which seems to be disappearing in Ireland. Oh sure, it might come out to a limited extent on Paddy's day, or some other celebration, but it doesn't stay around for long. Instead, for Ireland, that identity is more likely to be of a county affiliation, or some other grouping..

The belief that we can mix people from across the world and create a happy, functioning multicultural society is at the heart of politics and policies at the moment. The belief is sadly unfounded, yes it would be great if it was true... But it isn't. Even within the newly multicultural societies, we see birds of a feather flock together, people feel more comfortable around people similiar to them. Any multicultural neighbourhood I've seen... Everyone works or everyone hides, completely soulless places.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

The belief that we can mix people from across the world and create a happy, functioning multicultural society is at the heart of politics and policies at the moment. The belief is sadly unfounded, yes it would be great if it was true... But it isn't. Even within the newly multicultural societies, we see birds of a feather flock together, people feel more comfortable around people similiar to them. Any multicultural neighbourhood I've seen... Everyone works or everyone hides, completely soulless places.

I have some experience of this in a school context. I've found that the more multicultural a school is, the less friendly it is, and the less the parents will get involved in contributing. Add the resources issue with the school having to deal with non-English speakers, and cultural and religious differences, and it becomes a place you don't want to send your kids. I saw this happen to a formerly lovely school with a strong sense of community around it - within 20 years Irish kids became a minority and everyone keeps to their own little groups. It's depressing.

I have some experience of this in a school context. I've found that the more multicultural a school is, the less friendly it is, and the less the parents will get involved in contributing. Add the resources issue with the school having to deal with non-English speakers, and cultural and religious differences, and it becomes a place you don't want to send your kids. I saw this happen to a formerly lovely school with a strong sense of community around it - within 20 years Irish kids became a minority and everyone keeps to their own little groups. It's depressing.

I've seen an example of this the other day, I was driving through a town called Balrothery,just outside Balbriggan, lovely little town, on each side of the road there was picnic tables, Irish kids on one side, Nigerian kids on the other... You could sense the tension even driving by.

• Advertisement

Ahh... I can't actually agree. That really depends on the school, its' administration, and its' teachers. My mother was a principal of a Marist Brothers primary school, and while there were some issues when she was there, it's since turned the corner on any friction. I've taught there myself a few times, and the different groups tended to mix well. Parents are encouraged to be interested, and be involved in school activities, so there's a greater degree of interaction and socialising.

The vocational school (secondary) where my father taught also has a wide variety of racial/ethnic groups, and I rarely hear of any problems. TBH the schools are probably some of the best indication that multiculturalism could work, if it was approached in the right manner. Alas, in the broader context, it's not being approached in the right manner.

It really depends on the school. And the makeup of the students, and parents. And... well.. any number of factors. You see the same with "international schools" which tend to operate quite well, in spite of the abundance of different nationalities.
    I've seen an example of this the other day, I was driving through a town called Balrothery,just outside Balbriggan, lovely little town, on each side of the road there was picnic tables, Irish kids on one side, Nigerian kids on the other... You could sense the tension even driving by.

Um, you could sense the tension while driving by?

Kids tend to be above any of the tensions of multiculturalism. Their parents, sure, but even then, they have common ground, because of their kids...

Nah. Sorry.. I can see the problems with multiculturalism in terms of economics, and society, but children having a picnic isn't one of them. We are still in the covid era... distancing is a good thing.

Advertisement