Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why don't you answer my question? When is Israel going to open it's borders? I mean, you don't want your culture to stagnate, right?

I am not Israeli.

I am Irish.

Secondly there are 35 languages spoken in Israel.

Because actually open its borders is exactly what Israel did.

And 20% of the population is muslim.

I would hate to think of what YOU would say if 20% of the Irish population was muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Or the backward inlooking Russians...oh wait, the Russians gave us ballet, and great composers and art and poetry.

Btw I'll take a boring peaceful society like Japan over a diverse and exciting society like Sweden.

Who is slagging off Russian or Japanese culture. Both have produced complex cultures and both are adopting plenty of western culture also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Not good enough. Where are the Somalians and Afghans? Where are the Nigerians?

Those groups are tiny in Ireland compared to other immigrants.
    Why are we talking about Israel, it has nothing to do with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Well, there are the Ethiopian Jews in the past twenty years. They have not always been treated too well.

Maybe Chinese Jews in the future, heck, maybe another lost tribe of Israel somewhere waiting to be found.

Beta Israel ....ethiopians ...

Operation Solomon ....Operation Moses .and the rest ..look them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Israel sucks in Jewish people from the diaspora and that is the bigger part of what makes it vibrant.

We'll take in Irish people from the diaspora, it will make us vibrant, won't it?

Oh no, wait. That would make us wacists :D

THE IDF

Yes i can totally see rome flying in christians from africa ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Bambi wrote: »
    We'll take in Irish people from the diaspora, it will make us vibrant, won't it?

Oh no, wait. That would make us wacists :D

Well the interesting thing about the Jews is that they were sown in all corners of the earth (I know, the earth isn't flat or square) for centuries, so they bring about cultural differences that are remarkably varied. That is, a bit more than a bunch of us diluted micks, moyself incleewded.

Bambi wrote: »
    You're as Irish as Alan Shatter, and he was very Irish the bould Alan, never thought that sauce for the goose was sauce for the gander when it came to diversity, I think you're being pulled up for similar reasons.

How vibrant do you think tens of thousands of Pakistanis and Afghans would make Israel? Maybe throw in some Somalis and Libyans for the crack. :o

They have all those.

Do you realize how ignorant you are of Israel.

Most Israelis are not white.

There are Pakistani jews by the way. They also have afghans ...many syrians (mostly druze who now consider themselves Israelis)

• Advertisement

Why are we talking about Israel?

This was Irish people talking about multiculturalism in Ireland!

I don't mind you criticizing Israel at all. That is different from the antisemitic oh no the jews want to replace crap you are spouting here.

That is antisemitism.

Barbara Spectre wants a word.

I never come across such anti semitism in real life as i do here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Israel sucks in Jewish people from the diaspora and that is the bigger part of what makes it vibrant.

Sounds great, I would love to see people from the Irish diaspora given priority in terms of immigration. In fact perhaps we should follow Israels lead and try to import people exclusively from our diaspora, as much as is possible.

How do you think that idea would go down?

Funny how all the jewish disapora comes back in all races ..and speaking many languages. Inc hebrew.

But us irish only come back white catholic ..and hilariously only speaking English. The language of their oppressors.

Irish culture was incredibly static.There was zero evolution. Anyone who wanted to be anything had to leave.

Rubbish. There was evolution due to the Irish people who went/lived abroad, and came back, with scary ideas that changed the perception of people around them. Oddly enough we also had a variety of "celebs" who embraced modern US culture especially through music, which also affected culture in Ireland.
    Things like classical music/Ballet never found roots here. While i love Irish music and dance...and it gave great imput into Irish pop music...this was becoming stagnant.

Again, I call rubbish. Classical music has a very strong following in the Republic along with loads of people to compete to play at national or local levels. Ballet? Acquired taste. I've seen a variety of shows, and found it rather boring. Italian opera, now... that's incredible to attend, which isn't too bad since a variety of Italian opera singers have made their way to do shows in Ireland.
    It wasn't evolving. It wasn't reflecting enough colour and nuance for a modern world. Our television etc is still pretty bad.

Ireland was fairly unique considering the type of politics, economic considerations and the influence of the Church. And state TV in most countries is pretty bad.. (in countries of comparable size to Ireland)
    and when think about it that company is STILL often maybe 80% white men at the top. So you can't blame people for thinking this is silly. Whereas if it were truly diverse ...people would have no option but to evolve.

Let's ignore equality of opportunity, or competition in the workplace, and just complain the world is not the way we want it. Yup. That's perfectly reasonable.

The problem is that you wont accept that evolution in culture takes time. You want instant results.

Funny how all the jewish disapora comes back in all races ..and speaking many languages. Inc hebrew.

But the irish only come back white ..and hilariously only speaking English. The language of their oppressors.

You know what I don't get, we have all these nutcases who no one has ever heard of telling us we'll be diverse and who we'll be living with... They're not even Irish

Exhibit A:

EXHIBIT B:

Sounds great, I would love to see people from the Irish diaspora given priority in terms of immigration. In fact perhaps we should follow Israels lead and try to import people exclusively from our diaspora, as much as is possible.

Why should you bother with what people think?

Try it on your fellow Irish citizens, campaign on it. Who knows? It is not a bad idea.

Beta Israel ....ethiopians ...

Operation Solomon ....Operation Moses .and the rest ..look them up.

Didn't they involuntarily sterilise those Ethiopian Jews?

ALL israel HAS is minorities.

50% of Israeli are Mizrahi (arabs)

Then you have sephardi jews (latino or hispanic)
    Then you have askenazi (european /slavic)
    Then you have beta israel.

All of the above are Jewish.

• Advertisement

I don't mind you criticizing Israel at all. That is different from the antisemitic oh no the jews want to replace crap you are spouting here.

That is antisemitism.

Many do feel this way and you know it.

The problem is that you wont accept that evolution in culture takes time. You want instant results.

I don't want anything. I was simply making observations that was intellectually interesting to me.

Also i think the last few years have proven its not time that counts when it comes to change in a country.

Again, I call rubbish. Classical music has a very strong following in the Republic along with loads of people to compete to play at national or local levels. Ballet? Acquired taste. I've seen a variety of shows, and found it rather boring. Italian opera, now... that's incredible to attend, which isn't too bad since a variety of Italian opera singers have made their way to do shows in Ireland.

I am sorry. I have to say you are incorrect. We have no notable classical composers. We have no opera house. We have not contributed anything to the world of classical music. The standard of our classical singers is poor. The wexford opera festival at one point was an international joke in the opera world.

You are correct ...classical music HERE is boring. Its done BAAADLY.

Go the ballet in Russia ..go the opera in Italy or france. Its done well.

For orchestral music.

We don't produce many soloists.

The knowledge of Irish music critics is also poor.
    Ireland was fairly unique considering the type of politics, economic considerations and the influence of the Church. And state TV in most countries is pretty bad..

The BBC is state TV. And i am sick of using money as an excuse ...new ideas are free.

Which Ireland would you prefer to live in ...a homogeneous one that fears immigration ..or a multicultural one?

And the most important question ..which do you think would be the more narrow minded?

I mean ...I think multiculturalism has even helped the Irish language. Its made people more sensitive. There are those on the right who tend to think its a waste of our taxes.

so basically this is how it is going to go ...i am going to bear the brunt of all your frustrations in the world now hmm?

You are just going to take out all your anger on me?

And its not a jewish thing of course.

I am to be held accountable for everything Israel does? All your frustrations about israel ...a country you have never been to are to be taken out on me. Hmm?

All your frustrations about multiculturalism ...are my fault. Hmm?

Didn't they involuntarily sterilise those Ethiopian Jews?
    No.

They were given contraceptive injections. Nor were they forced.

Also it wasn't israelis who gave them. It was done by other ethiopians in the camp while waiting to be taken to israel. It was done because some of the medications they were on could damage a child if they got pregnant while they were on them.

All of said women said they were able to conceive after.

so basically this is how it is going to go ...i am going to bear the brunt of all your frustrations in the world now hmm?

You are just going to take out all your anger on me?

And its not a jewish thing of course.
    huh?

I don't want anything. I was simply making observations that was intellectually interesting to me.

Also i think the last few years have proven its not time that counts when it comes to change in a country.

Actually, I'd say that the last few years have shown that it is time that counts when it comes to change. Positive change. Forcing change simply creates problems.
    I am sorry. I have to say you are incorrect. We have no notable classical composers. We have no opera house. We have not contributed anything to the world of classical music. The standard of our classical singers is poor. The wexford opera festival at one point was an international joke in the opera world.

Ahh, I understand the metric now. It's not about culture or awareness of other cultural norms. It's about something else entirely..
    The BBC is state TV. And i am sick of using money as an excuse ...new ideas are free.

What's the population of the UK and the commonwealth? You don't think that population plays a factor? Or the influence of the Church, and/or the legacy of censorship in past decades?

As I said, you're not looking at cultural evolution.
    Which Ireland would you prefer to live in ...a homogeneous one that fears immigration ..or a multicultural one?

And.... back to the absolute example. I'd be perfectly fine with a Ireland with strong connections to European and western cultures, with a sprinkling of influence from other cultures beyond.
    And the most important question ..which do you think would be the more narrow minded?

Narrow minded... ok... That it's all or nothing.

That's narrow minded to me.
    I mean ...I think multiculturalism has even helped the Irish language. Its made people more sensitive. There are those on the right who tend to think its a waste of our taxes.

There's people everywhere in Ireland who think the Irish language is a waste of tax money. No idea where/how multiculturalism has helped Irish though. Can't say that I find it a particularly important aspect, considering how the teaching and application of Irish was fcuked throughout the history of the State. It's just a part of Irish culture, important for some, less important for many more.

huh?

I am not your punching bag.

I don't have to defend anything to you. Anything you have a problem with ..that is your problem.

Anything you have a problem with that happened half way around the world in another country ...has nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I am not your punching bag.

I don't have to defend anything to you. Anything you have a problem with ..that is your problem.

Anything you have a problem with that happened half way around the world in another country ...has nothing to do with me.

There you are now to completely derail the thread as usual.

• Advertisement

We have no notable classical composers. We have no opera house. We have not contributed anything to the world of classical music. The standard of our classical singers is poor. The wexford opera festival at one point was an international joke in the opera world.

You are correct ...classical music HERE is boring. Its done BAAADLY.

Go the ballet in Russia ..go the opera in Italy or france. Its done well.

For orchestral music.

We don't produce many soloists.

We do have an Opera house in Wexford as you know, besides your parameters for what constitutes progress are extremely narrow, Ireland does not have a strong historical Opera culture, so what?
    Many other countries don't.
    We have our own form of Traditional music which is highly regarded internationally. Its telling that what you regard as progress is something that evolved elsewhere, like Opera which has strong roots in France and Italy. It sounds like you believe that in order to be modern and progressive we must be like others and not ourselves.

Advertisement