Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

And the Irish who left during the recessions? Those who left within the last twenty years, and would like to return but can't really afford to?
    They can't really afford to.

If we could tackle the housing issue and convince the govt actually we reeealy have NOT recovered ..then we might help them. But with a right wing ideology prob not going to happen.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I agree with you on some points, but really, if Ireland is an expensive and desirable country, it is because it has a worldly component. It would not have had the success it had in the past thirty years without its worldliness in business, and playing its EU cards right, digging in when Russia was opening up to capitalism, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vsnX1UD1w

Have a watch. Pretty good account...

I live and teach at universities in China. You don't know what you're talking about. Chinese students will talk up human rights because they're studying in the West... but the moment they return to mainland China, they'll stop caring. Because it's not relevant to their lives. That's the essence of Chinese culture for normal people. What is practically relevant to their lives while living in China.

Of course they will stop caring in a university where their every move is noted and toted up to social credit. Or rather appearing to care. Its too dangerous.

How you posting on boards from china? No one can right now not even through vpn.

They can't really afford to.

If we could tackle the housing issue and convince the govt actually we reeealy have NOT recovered ..then we might help them. But with a right wing ideology prob not going to happen.

A right wing ideology?

Oh lord. I give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vsnX1UD1w

Have a watch. Pretty good account...

This is pie in the sky though.

Why do people have to leave to find jobs then?

• Advertisement

Of course they will stop caring in a university where their every move is noted and toted up to social credit. Or rather appearing to care. Its too dangerous.

How you posting on boards from china? No one can right now not even through vpn.

I've been home since January. Came home for a holiday, and been stuck here since.

And you're misinformed again. VPNs are working in China, it's just difficult to find a stable connection. Also... I don't need a VPN to access boards while in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

To me, as a member of the diaspora.

You're just one member of the diaspora, there are others who do not share your view. I have friends in Aussie, Canada etc who are in a state of absolute shock and despair at whats happening to Ireland.

I read a very interesting article a while back (which I'm trying to find) which said that respect for the Irish has plummeted across the continent.
    Italians, Germans, French etc used to view Ireland as a nation that stubbornly held on to its traditions and culture in the face of modernity, this was something they admired greatly. They saw Ireland as the last vestiges of a Celtic, agrarian, rural society which had once existed across Europe.
    But the Irish, being consumed with self loathing and a gigantic inferiority complex have desperately cast off anything remotely associated with their traditional culture and tried (still) to be the most modern nation in Europe, culturally, morally etc
    The point of the thesis was there was a huge sense of disgust at the fact that whilst other European nations had a very long and drawn out separation from Catholicism for example, the Irish in a few decades went from very Catholic to the complete opposite. Almost maniacally denouncing their own past, desperate to be seen as anything but 'old' Irish. Embarrassed by that which ironically others admired in us.
    And this desperation to cast off every semblance of their culture and to be like the others has paradoxically destroyed the respect the continental nations had for us.

Edit: I'm not saying that Ireland should return to a pseudo theocratic state. But you get the picture.

This is pie in the sky though.

Why do people have to leave to find jobs then?

Pie in the sky? You managed to watch a 10 minute video in... 3 minutes? Impressive.

Nah. I'm done. I'll leave it to others to chase around in circles with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you think the large amount of Irish that travelled to the USA had an overall positive or negative effect?
    Positive. For a colony that required mass numbers of people from elsewhere to exist in the first place and grow thereafter. I don't see how this is difficult to understand or to understand the differences.
    What enclaves?
    There are parts of Dublin that are becoming less native Irish over time and over the last ten to fifteen years. Not a shock as people almost inevitably coalesce together among their "own", often around religious community settings, but also retail centres and the like.

You're using colonial countries as examples of what could happen in Ireland. Isn't there a difference there? Seems you're happy to ignore the differences when it suits your narrative.
    *Heads keyboard* No. I am saying using ex colonies that depended on "multiculturalism" immigration to simply exist as examples of the positives of this idea is not comparable to European(or other) non colonies and is beyond silly. Never mind that they were not exactly multicultural for most of their history and still have major issues today along "race" lines, or have you missed the whole BLM marches and protests?

I am also looking at the decades long examples of European states that have embraced this politic, or were forced to because of a colonial past and their experiences and the extra social pressures up to outright social disorder and don't want that for this country or any other that has so far escaped this politic. And no, "exotic" cafes dont really serve as a prize. Booby prize maybe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

You're just one member of the diaspora, there are others who do not share your view. I have friends in Aussie, Canada etc who are in a state of absolute shock and despair at whats happening to Ireland.

I read a very interesting article a while back (which I'm trying to find) which said that respect for the Irish has plummeted across the continent.
    Italians, Germans, French etc used to view Ireland as a nation that stubbornly held on to its traditions and culture in the face of modernity, this was something they admired greatly. They saw Ireland as the last vestiges of a Celtic, agrarian, rural society which had once existed across Europe.
    But the Irish, being consumed with self loathing and a gigantic inferiority complex have desperately cast off anything remotely associated with their traditional culture and tried (still) to be the most modern nation in Europe, culturally, morally etc
    The point of the thesis was there was a huge sense of disgust at the fact that whilst other European nations had a very long and drawn out separation from Catholicism for example, the Irish in a few decades went from very Catholic to the complete opposite. Almost maniacally denouncing their own past, desperate to be seen as anything but 'old' Irish. Embarrassed by that which ironically others admired in us.
    And this desperation to cast off every semblance of their culture and to be like the others has paradoxically destroyed the respect the continental nations had for us.

Edit: I'm not saying that Ireland should return to a pseudo theocratic state. But you get the picture.

Well that edit makes your post a bit confusing.

If I understand you correctly you seem to be critical of social change in Ireland or at least suggest Europeans are critical of the social change, but at the same time you would not want to return to those times.

So which is it 1980s Ireland or 2020 Ireland.

That was also quite a big statement to assign a single unified opinion of Ireland to millions of Europeans.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »

There are parts of Dublin that are becoming less native Irish over time and over the last ten to fifteen years. Not a shock as people almost inevitably coalesce together among their "own", often around religious community settings, but also retail centres and the like.

So they are not native?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, I do get the picture of a nation that forsook the old ties to the church, and this is not a reason for disrespect, not is it convincing to me. My part of the world had church-ridden aspects which were done away with a little earlier than Ireland. I think for the most part, the shock is, as Wibbs would qualify it; "sentimental".

On the other hand, you also are dismayed at France, or Germany for their great numbers of foreigners, and the alleged civilizational decline that has ensued. I just as the next guy enjoy the products of Irish culture, but you know, for a long time, many luminaries chose to leave Ireland for greener pastures in order for ideas to "bloom", no pun intended.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Positive. For a colony that required mass numbers of people from elsewhere to exist in the first place and grow thereafter. I don't see how this is difficult to understand or to understand the differences.

*Heads keyboard* No. I am saying using ex colonies that depended on "multiculturalism" immigration to simply exist as examples of the positives of this idea is not comparable to European(or other) non colonies and is beyond silly. Never mind that they were not exactly multicultural for most of their history and still have major issues today along "race" lines, or have you missed the whole BLM marches and protests?

I am also looking at the decades long examples of European states that have embraced this politic, or were forced to because of a colonial past and their experiences and the extra social pressures up to outright social disorder and don't want that for this country or any other that has so far escaped this politic. And no, "exotic" cafes dont really serve as a prize. Booby prize maybe.

Well Okay then, let's do away with all the foreign influences altogether and go back to the bog and dig peet for chri'n out loud, do away with the Irish pubs in Paris and Tokyo while you are at it.

I'd strip the Riverdancers myself and paint them all in blue, give them bows and arrows, no spotlights, no electric harps.

joe40 wrote: »
    Well that edit makes your post a bit confusing.

If I understand you correctly you seem to be critical of social change in Ireland or at least suggest Europeans are critical of the social change, but at the same time you would not want to return to those times.

So which is it 1980s Ireland or 2020 Ireland.

That was also quite a big statement to assign a single unified opinion of Ireland to millions of Europeans.

The problem is that there are many Irish who associate everything, every aspect of our past, our culture, with backwardness and Catholicism. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Well Okay then, let's do away with all the foreign influences altogether and go back to the bog and dig peet for chri'n out loud, do away with the Irish pubs in Paris and Tokyo while you are at it.

I'd strip the Riverdancers myself and paint them all in blue, give them bows and arrows, no spotlights, no electric harps.

I really don't understand the need to offer absolutes or extremes, as if it's all or zero multiculturalism.

Nobody is suggesting closing all borders, and fighting off all foreign influence with spearpoints at the ready.

The problem is that there are many Irish who associate everything, every aspect of our past, our culture, with backwardness and Catholicism. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

The problem with apologists of backwardness in their own culture is that they are less convincing when explaining away the same in other cultures. And vice versa, and on and on.

I really don't understand the need to offer absolutes or extremes, as if it's all or zero multiculturalism.

Nobody is suggesting closing all borders, and fighting off all foreign influence with spearpoints at the ready.

Yes, all of a sudden, I seem to have hit a nerve.

Yes, all of a sudden, I seem to have hit a nerve.

Err....

I'm starting to see a trend with the lack of logic going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Maybe there are some, but I still find Irish people to be generally patriotic, and appreciative of Irish culture, music, Gaelic games etc.

Here's a bunch of NGO personnel asking "how do we undermine the ethnic aspect of Irish identity?

• Advertisement

Err....

I'm starting to see a trend with the lack of logic going around.

I'm kind of glad you got the point.

Here's a bunch of NGO personnel asking "how do we undermine the ethnic aspect of Irish identity?

Excellent. I remember when you could undermine African ethnic identity in missionary work, and who would raise an eyebrow to that?

Another bit of colonialism in reverse. Welcome to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Excellent. I remember when you could undermine African ethnic identity in missionary work, and who would raise an eyebrow to that?

Another bit of colonialism in reverse. Welcome to the club.

I object to Colonialism in all its forms, past present and future.

Glad you agree that what they're discussing is essentially colonialism.

I object to Colonialism in all its forms, past present and future.

Glad you agree that what they're discussing is essentially colonialism.

Totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

But there was a hierarchy of immigrants, with the Irish being pretty low and considered much like many here consider asylum seekers and immigrants from outside Europe now. So I think the comparison is pretty valid. Do you think the Irish integrated and provided an overall benefit to the USA?

That wasn't the point either.

The issue is that there wasn't really an indigenous culture for the Irish to be integrated into. Doesn't matter whether the "Dirty Irish" were considered to be just one rung above the blacks in much of America.

Plus when the Irish moved to, say, the likes of New York, they were very much segregated into their own communities. The Chinese were the same, so were the Germans, so were the Italians...etc.

There was no great melting pot at street level. It was very much groups of nationalities living among their own and it was like that until quite recently.

You could go back to Queens in 1975 and see whole Irish neighbourhoods. Cross a certain street and you were in an Italian neighbourhood and I can assure you there was little harmony. Go up to Brooklyn and you could tell instantly where the Polish Neighbourhood ended and the Jewish one began.

110th Street in Manhattan was the demarcation line between "white" streets and Harlem.

And ot would still be very much this way except for the fact that living costs have forced the break up of communities. Now they are segregated by wealth status instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Here's a video of some people some racist gob****e uploaded to Bitchute and racist gob****es on Boards are more than happy to eat up.

Whoop-de-bloody-do.

Here's a video of some people some racist gob****e uploaded to Bitchute and racist gob****es on Boards are more than happy to eat up.

Whoop-de-bloody-do.

The messenger is irrelevant, I know nothing about the uploader, came across it on twitter. The video is real and thats all that matters.

By the by if there was a group discussing how they could undermine Kenyan or Somalian ethnic identity it would be rightly denounced.

Tony EH wrote: »
    That wasn't the point either.

The issue is that there wasn't really an indigenous culture for the Irish to be integrated into. Doesn't matter whether the "Dirty Irish" were considered to be just one rung above the blacks in much of America.

Plus when the Irish moved to, say, the likes of New York, they were very much segregated into their own communities. The Chinese were the same, so were the Germans, so were the Italians...etc.

There was no great melting pot at street level. It was very much groups of nationalities living among their own and it was like that until quite recently.

You could go back to Queens in 1975 and see whole Irish neighbourhoods. Cross a certain street and you were in an Italian neighbourhood and I can assure you there was little harmony. Go up to Brooklyn and you could tell instantly where the Polish Neighbourhood ended and the Jewish one began.

110th Street in Manhattan was the demarcation line between "white" streets and Harlem.

And ot would still be very much this way except for the fact that living costs have forced the break up of communities. Now they are segregated by wealth status instead.

Boston's Southie is still a lot like that. Lots of Irish flags on houses, the odd Italian flag in defiance. Lol.

Montreal's Pointe St Charles and Griffintown, Goose Village were very much like that too not that long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

The messenger is irrelevant, I know nothing about the uploader, came across it on twitter. The video is real and thats all that matters.

By the by if there was a group discussing how they could undermine Kenyan or Somalian ethnic identity it would be rightly denounced.

The video is of course real but who are the people in it? Where's the verification for anything? It's just a video of five random people talking.

Jesus, I know there's some seriously gullible rubes floating around these days but I refuse to believe people can't see through this.

Advertisement