Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »

No, realistic. Racism isn't going anywhere(and I'd contend it's much more than "some people" and across "races" too). That much is clear. Affiliations and prejudice along ethnic lines isn't going anywhere either. That much is also clear. It has been in play throughout recorded history and has always led to differing degrees of strife. It's in play in every single "multicultural" society on the planet and the same demographic trends follow similar patterns too. And yep racism is a huge part of it. I have never once denied that. The difference between us is that I look to the realities rather than hope and wishful thinking. The latter are very laudable and come from a good place, but that's not much use when reality comes a calling.

Yep, the answer to racism is to keep all different races and cultures away from each other.
    Yep. That's it! Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

We can't, because that horse has bolted back in the Celtic Tiger and birthright passports and it has happened with a rapidity almost unknown among western nations. We've gone from well over 90% native population to 75% in a generation and the same patterns we see everywhere else are already in play here. We'll just have to live with the crap it will cause like every other nation that has tried to run this social experiment. And we've gone down this road with almost no discussion. When a debate was had over said birthright passports the Irish electorate closed that loophole by a landslide and by a higher percentage than either the SSM or choice votes, which we patted ourselves on the back over.

I think we would need to group foreign born residents into two distinct groups here EU citizens and non EU citizens. Because the nation most definitely did get a choice on EU free movement of people. And EU citizens make up quite a large bloc of foreign born non ethnically Irish people resident in the country.

As for the rest the nations gets a choice every time there is an election. Because immigration policy is by Act of Government.
    If race and non ethically Irish people coming to Ireland is such an issue for the population why has it not become a bigger issue during elections, why has a single issue anti foreigner party not gained much traction?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yep, the answer to racism is to keep all different races and cultures away from each other.
    Yep. That's it! Genius.
    You're avoiding the point like the plague. It seems there is no clear "answer to racism". Certainly none have come forth and have had much success in the long term and I'm not hearing any novel solutions from your position. Though I wouldn't expect any as it's a remarkably intransigent problem and has been since the egg. Hope? Education? Government campaigns? Maybe have an oul free concert or two. Been done, across many different nations and cultures and as I said here we are and BLM is just as much in play. And for good reasons.

Again as this thread has demonstrated the positives of multiculturalism seem remarkably hard to pin down for the supporters of it, the negatives far easier to list.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yep. That's it! Genius.

You’re learning?

You're avoiding the point like the plague. It seems there is no clear "answer to racism". Certainly none have come forth and have had much success in the long term and I'm not hearing any novel solutions from your position. Though I wouldn't expect any as it's a remarkably intransigent problem and has been since the egg. Hope? Education? Government campaigns? Maybe have an oul free concert or two. Been done, across many different nations and cultures and as I said here we are and BLM is just as much in play. And for good reasons.

Again as this thread has demonstrated the positives of multiculturalism seem remarkably hard to pin down for the supporters of it, the negatives far easier to list.

We haven't stopped car accidents is the answer no more cars.
    We haven't yet cured Cancer should we stop researching a cure.
    The only thing this thread proves is that the majority of its posters are anti immigrant. With a portion being anti eu immigrant.

And no one not a single poster to this thread has yet proven that a mono cultural Ireland is possible or even for the benefit of the citizens left in a such a state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think we would need to group foreign born residents into two distinct groups here EU citizens and non EU citizens. Because the nation most definitely did get a choice on EU free movement of people. And EU citizens make up quite a large bloc of foreign born non ethnically Irish people resident in the country.
    I would agree.
    As for the rest the nations gets a choice every time there is an election. Because immigration policy is by Act of Government.
    If race and non ethically Irish people coming to Ireland is such an issue for the population why has it not become a bigger issue during elections, why has a single issue anti foreigner party not gained much traction?
    Lack of choice is the major reason. We have a political system and class that are barely distinguishable from each other. Flip a coin come election time. Rinse and repeat. The anti immigration parties and candidates are an utter waste of time across the board. Crowds like the National Party are a joke. Vanishingly few are going to vote for them because of the nonsense in their manifestos. The nazis were anti vivisection and anti tobacco, both laudable positions I'd agree with, but I wouldn't have voted for them either.

As I pointed out when an anti non EU immigration ballot was put to the people - in the midst of many of our elected political class and RTE pundits shouting racism over it too - it came back with one of the most definitive answers in the history of this state; nope to more. If that vote had been cast before the influx we'd have significantly less multiculturalism than we do today. If that vote was held today I'd bet the farm the result would be similar. Those votes were cast by those who would come from all sides and parties of the political spectrum here, but that was the vote cast. Yet we have a chunk of the political class looking to row back on that clear democratic vote. Something they wouldn't dare to try over SSM or Choice, even though they passed with lower majorities.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The only thing this thread proves is that the majority of its posters are anti immigrant. With a portion being anti eu immigrant.

haha... I must admit that I'm starting to find this quite funny. The way that arguments tend to head in this direction so often.

Its been said repeatedly by most of the regular posters that they're in favor of skilled immigrants who are filling a need in the economy. They're in favor of people who can completely support themselves, and their families once they move here.

It's interesting that you can look at the thread and see an anti-immigration stance, whereas I look at the thread, and see posters wanting stricter rules for immigration, and less bypassing of those rules by politicians making feel-good gestures.

The difference between EU migrants and non-EU migrants is simple enough. EU migrants tend to share similar values with Irish culture, in terms of aspects like justice, women's rights, homosexuality, etc. Non-EU migrants come from very different cultural backgrounds, and so, the likelihood that they will appreciate/follow Irish/Western values diminishes significantly. EU migrants are far more likely to integrate easily, whereas most non-EU migrants will remain apart holding on to their cultural identity, forming communities of their own. So.. the choice is... do we seek to bring in people who are more likely to appreciate our way of life, or those who won't?

This claim of posters being anti-immigration is a push to the extreme. Just like your claim that the alternative to multiculturalism is a mono-culture. The alternative is not a single culture barring all others... but this has been done many times on the thread, and if you haven't gotten it by now, you're never going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

https://gcn.ie/nigerian-governors-anti-gay-comments-unacceptable-says-minister-joe-costello/

The link to the original Metro article is broken but it mentioned tht the Nigerian ambassador's horrible remarks about homosexuality received great applause from his audience. I have yet to reconcile the liberal views of the people supporting mass immigration with the frequently very illiberal views of those they are so keen to welcome. It's just another glaring logic fail

I would agree.

You might agree wibbs but for many in this thread these is no distinction between EU and non eu immigration.

So are you and I agreeing that the majority of EU migration has been positive for Ireland. In which case we have obvious positive multiculturalism in our society. Or do you think EU immigration has been negative for Ireland?

Lack of choice is the major reason. We have a political system and class that are barely distinguishable from each other. Flip a coin come election time. Rinse and repeat. The anti immigration parties and candidates are an utter waste of time across the board. Crowds like the National Party are a joke. Vanishingly few are going to vote for them because of the nonsense in their manifestos. The nazis were anti vivisection and anti tobacco, both laudable positions I'd agree with, but I wouldn't have voted for them either.

As I pointed out when an anti non EU immigration ballot was put to the people - in the midst of many of our elected political class and RTE pundits shouting racism over it too - it came back with one of the most definitive answers in the history of this state; nope to more. If that vote had been cast before the influx we'd have significantly less multiculturalism than we do today. If that vote was held today I'd bet the farm the result would be similar. Those votes were cast by those who would come from all sides and parties of the political spectrum here, but that was the vote cast. Yet we have a chunk of the political class looking to row back on that clear democratic vote. Something they wouldn't dare to try over SSM or Choice, even though they passed with lower majorities.

Wibbs the constitutional referendum you are referring to was brought about by and supported by the sitting government of the time and even supported by the largest opposition party at the time(FG). Yet your post seems to be making out the political establishment was opposed to this amendment but that isn't supported by the fact the government and largest opposition party being supportive of it.
    The government of the day campaigned for it while it FG merely offered no opposition but did not directly campaign for it. That's hardly our elected class opposing and shouting racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

https://gcn.ie/nigerian-governors-anti-gay-comments-unacceptable-says-minister-joe-costello/

The link to the original Metro article is broken but it mentioned tht the Nigerian ambassador's horrible remarks about homosexuality received great applause from his audience. I have yet to reconcile the liberal views of the people supporting mass immigration with the frequently very illiberal views of those they are so keen to welcome. It's just another glaring logic fail

Because ultimately as the poster WIBBS pointed out.........it's the best way to divide and conquer nations (or "the west"). Because once these people are here then it's impossible to get rid of them.

So, as pointed out, we've gone from being extremely European (not just Irish) to a mixture in a generation or so which will bring us to the same unhappy conclusion as to places further down the line.

Here's an article from 8 years ago about London...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-21511904

And the only people that will benefit from this are from large corporations that know it will make things like unionisation harder, governments that will be able to be more authoritarian (as they will have to be).

The ones promoting this **** are just the useful idiots like they always have been. Their idea of utopia will be shattered by even more racial crime, a slide backwards for homosexuals and women and a deep mistrust of society leading probably towards a balkanisation of communities.

• Advertisement

We haven't stopped car accidents is the answer no more cars.
    We haven't yet cured Cancer should we stop researching a cure.
    Again with the silly comparisons. Car accidents have continued to drop across the board. Survival rates for cancer improve decade on decade, even year on year. Racism, the Them/Us, ethnic division and social issues have barely changed at all beyond the surface. I guarantee BLM protests or similar will be in play in 20 years and they'll be in play here too. Rinse and repeat.
    What this thread proves and keeps on proving is that the pro multicultural argument is shockingly empty of points and positives, even in the most vocal of its proponents.
    And no one not a single poster to this thread has yet proven that a mono cultural Ireland is possible or even for the benefit of the citizens left in a such a state.
    It's sadly not possible any more, or at least how things stand, because of bad management two decades ago. As for benefits? Nations more monocultural than ours are doing well enough socially and economically and those multicutural nations doing well economically aren't doing nearly so well in regard to many of the ethnic cultures that live within them. America is still for the moment the richest nation on earth and how are her Hispanic and African American demographics doing? Britain is doing well enough, but who of her citizenry are more likely to be in receipt of social welfare, housing, less economically active, in gaol, less healthy? White Britons? Nope.
    You might agree wibbs but for many in this thread these is no distinction between EU and non eu immigration.

So are you and I agreeing that the majority of EU migration has been positive for Ireland. In which case we have obvious positive multiculturalism in our society. Or do you think EU immigration has been negative for Ireland?
    The vast majority of EU migration was jobs related and legal and something we signed up for as a nation. The vast majority of non EU migration wasn't and we didn't. As it stands today our own justice minister is looking to amnesty 20,000 illegal immigrants, apologies, "the undocumented", people who are here illegally and not paying tax and working in the black economy many for years. I'll further bet that number will climb much higher. No mention of those Irish employers using them illegally either. We have the screwup that is direct provision that has lined the pockets of a few and its replacement is going to fast track non Irish/EU people into the social welfare and housing net. We weren't consulted about that either.
    Wibbs the constitutional referendum you are referring to was brought about by and supported by the sitting government of the time and even supported by the largest opposition party at the time(FG). Yet your post seems to be making out the political establishment was opposed to this amendment but that isn't supported by the fact the government and largest opposition party being supportive of it.
    The government of the day campaigned for it while it FG merely offered no opposition but did not directly campaign for it. That's hardly our elected class opposing and shouting racism.
    FF as usual smelled the populist vote, FG as usual played safe. Labour and Sinn Fein and your various PBP types had a mickey fit over it and were open about it being "racist". There was quite the bit of similar on the national airwaves about it too.

haha... I must admit that I'm starting to find this quite funny. The way that arguments tend to head in this direction so often.

Its been said repeatedly by most of the regular posters that they're in favor of skilled immigrants who are filling a need in the economy. They're in favor of people who can completely support themselves, and their families once they move here.

It's interesting that you can look at the thread and see an anti-immigration stance, whereas I look at the thread, and see posters wanting stricter rules for immigration, and less bypassing of those rules by politicians making feel-good gestures.

The difference between EU migrants and non-EU migrants is simple enough. EU migrants tend to share similar values with Irish culture, in terms of aspects like justice, women's rights, homosexuality, etc. Non-EU migrants come from very different cultural backgrounds, and so, the likelihood that they will appreciate/follow Irish/Western values diminishes significantly. EU migrants are far more likely to integrate easily, whereas most non-EU migrants will remain apart holding on to their cultural identity, forming communities of their own. So.. the choice is... do we seek to bring in people who are more likely to appreciate our way of life, or those who won't?

This claim of posters being anti-immigration is a push to the extreme. Just like your claim that the alternative to multiculturalism is a mono-culture. The alternative is not a single culture barring all others... but this has been done many times on the thread, and if you haven't gotten it by now, you're never going to get it.

So there are no anti immigrant posters in this thread is that your claim Klaz.
    No anti EU posters?

The vast majority of immigrants to Ireland were prior to Covid in employment and productive for Irish society. So by your definition the vast majority of immigrants should be welcome.

I think the largest immigrant worker group in this country is the EU citizens bloc again productive positive members of Irelands multicultural society.

So what exactly is the problem if the vast majority of immigrants meet your definition for being positive?

The ones promoting this **** are just the useful idiots like they always have been. Their idea of utopia will be shattered by even more racial crime, a slide backwards for homosexuals and women and a deep mistrust of society leading probably towards a balkanisation of communities.
    Highly unlikely. What will happen if other European nations are anything to go by is multicultural urban areas with more social issues, poverty, crime, some with cultural attitudes that run contrary to the native culture and White Flight away from it to the suburbs and beyond(or cosseted enclaves within urban areas) and a proportion of successful people among the various ethnicities following them. Like your example of London. Western multiculturalism is almost entirely an urban thing and even there it's not so multicultural. As human nature drives these things, you tend to have areas along ethnic lines, just as you get them along socioeconomic lines.

It's interesting that you can look at the thread and see an anti-immigration stance, whereas I look at the thread, and see posters wanting stricter rules for immigration,

EU immigrants have the right to live and work here.
    Non EU immigrants have to satisfy conditions in order to live and work here.
    I'm not sure how you can get stricter rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

Highly unlikely. What will happen if other European nations are anything to go by is multicultural urban areas with more social issues, poverty, crime, some with cultural attitudes that run contrary to the native culture and White Flight away from it to the suburbs and beyond(or cosseted enclaves within urban areas) and a proportion of successful people among the various ethnicities following them. Like your example of London. Western multiculturalism is almost entirely an urban thing and even there it's not so multicultural. As human nature drives these things, you tend to have areas along ethnic lines, just as you get them along socioeconomic lines.

Unforteunely Rochdale's, Brixton's and Bradford's are much more like the destination planned for most of Ireland's cities. They will never be new Londons/New Yorks. The ethnic Irish are a tiny population by international standards. The terms Irish and Ireland are now meaningless cheap brand names.

As Pat Kenny recently let slip "Balbriggan is the template for Ireland", and they have poured millions of funding into the Balbriggan template model.

So there are no anti immigrant posters in this thread is that your claim Klaz.
    No anti EU posters?

Oh! Did you say that there were some? Nope?

Come on. Stick by what you've written and stop shifting your own goalposts
    The vast majority of immigrants to Ireland were prior to Covid in employment and productive for Irish society. So by your definition the vast majority of immigrants should be welcome.

And I do welcome them. As temporary workers, under limited term visas. I don't see the reason to rush to make them citizens.

Although, then again, the vast majority weren't in employment and working (without government supports), just the majority. Depending on the ethnic/National group in question, we saw large percentages remaining unemployed, including a rather large number who stayed here illegally.
    I think the largest immigrant worker group in this country is the EU citizens bloc again productive positive members of Irelands multicultural society.

Okay. Where are all these objections to EU citizens coming here?
    So what exactly is the problem if the vast majority of immigrants meet your definition for being positive?

Except they haven't, since you've skipped over (or ignored) what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

EU immigrants have the right to live and work here.
    Non EU immigrants have to satisfy conditions in order to live and work here.
    I'm not sure how you can get stricter rules?

Enforce the existing rules

We are actively looking to give a free pass to 20k who did not satisfy the rules to live and work here

And again, I dont blame the people here illegally, I blame our weak politicians and public servants

Again with the silly comparisons. Car accidents have continued to drop across the board. Survival rates for cancer improve decade on decade, even year on year. Racism, the Them/Us, ethnic division and social issues have barely changed at all beyond the surface. I guarantee BLM protests or similar will be in play in 20 years and they'll be in play here too. Rinse and repeat.

Is it silly, surely you would have to agree that racist beliefs in Ireland have actually reduced in Ireland in the period during which we have had the highest foreign immigration in our history. So racism can be reduced, it can be educated against and legislated against.
    What this thread proves and keeps on proving is that the pro multicultural argument is shockingly empty of points and positives, even in the most vocal of its proponents.

Who is pro multicultural and what does it mean?

I would like many people in this thread be in support of a stricter immigration policy but the difference is I do not lay the blame for all Irelands social ill at the feet of immigrants.

But I also am optimistic for Irelands future. I have multiracial Irish children and do not feel they are to blame for any of Irelands problems nor is their mother a non Irish resident to blame. I don't believe my children are less Irish like many posters in this thread have stated they are.
    I have formed relationships both personal and professional with non national residents and I personally believe these relationships are positive.

Have all or the vast majority of your experiences with foreign born residents being negative?
    It's sadly not possible any more, or at least how things stand, because of bad management two decades ago. As for benefits? Nations more monocultural than ours are doing well enough socially and economically and those multicutural nations doing well economically aren't doing nearly so well in regard to many of the ethnic cultures that live within them. America is still for the moment the richest nation on earth and how are her Hispanic and African American demographics doing? Britain is doing well enough, but who of her citizenry are more likely to be in receipt of social welfare, housing, less economically active, in gaol, less healthy? White Britons? Nope.

Actually poor white Britons are struggling more in educational attainment anyway.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/education-55804123

Ireland is consistently ranked very high in all those surveys of best countries to live. So what is the evidence for decades of bad management you speak of?

The vast majority of EU migration was jobs related and legal and something we signed up for as a nation. The vast majority of non EU migration wasn't and we didn't. As it stands today our own justice minister is looking to amnesty 20,000 illegal immigrants, apologies, "the undocumented", people who are here illegally and not paying tax and working in the black economy many for years. I'll further bet that number will climb much higher. No mention of those Irish employers using them illegally either. We have the screwup that is direct provision that has lined the pockets of a few and its replacement is going to fast track non Irish/EU people into the social welfare and housing net. We weren't consulted about that either.

So the EU migrants which account for most of our immigrants are positive?

FF as usual smelled the populist vote, FG as usual played safe. Labour and Sinn Fein and your various PBP types had a mickey fit over it and were open about it being "racist". There was quite the bit of similar on the national airwaves about it too.

So You are agreeing it was supported by the greater majority of the political establishment then right. I mean there was no PBP then and sinn fein were a minor party. Akin to labour polling today.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Swindled wrote: »
    Multiculturalism just means no culture. Like taking a palette of different paint colours and smearing them all into one featureless blob.
    It's been trialled and failed in the UK, France etc. to name but a few.
    Do we really aspire to having towns like Rotherham / Bradford etc. as per the UK ?
    What's so wrong with countries having their own distant culture, ethnicity, culture and heritage ?
    All countries should from Nigeria, to China to Ireland. - That's real diversity and multiculturalism.

Indeed we can look forward to an increase in kebab shops, western unions and cheap Asian electronic repair shops... Multiculturalism just makes you the same as every other multicultural place, anomic societies with little social cohesion. The only people it enriches is big business, banks, the government and the EU who seem to be hellbent on destroying national identities and cultures.

Oh! Did you say that there were some? Nope?

Come on. Stick by what you've written and stop shifting your own goalposts

Klaz anti means opposed to.

anti
    /ˈanti/
    INFORMAL
    preposition
    opposed to; against.
    "I'm anti the abuse of drink and the hassle that it causes"
    adjective
    opposed.
    "the local councils are anti"
    noun
    a person opposed to a particular policy, activity, or idea.
    "the threat to field sports from the antis is a serious one"

By holding a position that you are against most immigration you are by default anti immigration. I did not say the majority of posters were racist.
    I said anti immigrant and I stand by that view. If a person is opposed to immigration they are by the very definition of the word anti-immigrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I oppose large scale immigration while being an immigrant myself. How about that?
    And in general, is it anything wrong with being anti-immigration?

Cordell wrote: »
    The onus is on the ones supporting the change to bring forward the reasons the change is positive.

Cordell wrote: »
    I oppose large scale immigration while being an immigrant myself. How about that?
    And in general, is it anything wrong with being anti-immigration?

So what changes do you propose and what benefits should we expect from your anti immigration proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Swindled wrote: »
    Unforteunely Rochdale's, Brixton's and Bradford's are much more like the destination planned for most of Ireland's cities. They will never be new Londons/New Yorks. The ethnic Irish are a tiny population by international standards. The terms Irish and Ireland are now meaningless cheap brand names.

As Pat Kenny recently let slip "Balbriggan is the template for Ireland", and they have poured millions of funding into the Balbriggan template model.

Look what’s happening in Balbriggan.

Trouble, violence, intimidation.... not being perpetrated by the locals.

I have family out there, my cousin wants back to her home area of Malahide ASAP because of it, but can’t afford it as her husband lost his job at the beginning of the pandemic...

Balbriggan WAS a gorgeous little sleepy costal village, now....a template for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So what changes do you propose and what benefits should we expect from your anti immigration proposals?

Robbie, do you think the large growth in population has contributed to the housing crisis?

And to be clear that is not blaming the immigrants

Strumms wrote: »

I have family out there, my cousin wants back to her home area of Malahide ASAP because of it, but can’t afford it as her husband lost his job at the beginning of the pandemic...

Balbriggan WAS a gorgeous little sleepy costal village, now....a template for disaster.

You're clearly all racist bigots in Balbriggan, and you should like the new "template for Ireland" or be forced to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

we are going to be facing not only a housing crisis but a quality of life crisis...we already are.

Immigrants are to blame ? No, but those who developed and rubber stamped a system whereby enabling EU citizens in their own country’s to be discriminated against and to have their pot of wealth diverted away from financing their wellbeing, security, safety and quality of life.... to instead be used to provide for people who haven’t paid a red cent and are attempting to move here for to improve their quality of life...

Robbie, do you think the large growth in population has contributed to the housing crisis?

And to be clear that is not blaming the immigrants

The housing crisis is multifaceted but none of the causes are specifically multiculturalism. Which is the thread topic so I'm not going far down this road.

But of course it goes without saying that growth in the population adds pressure to housing demand. More people means more houses are needed.

Strumms wrote: »

Tallaght was a lovely little country village before all the social housing.
    Jobstown would have been positively picturesque before they built the houses I can only imagine.
    Wait what was the point of this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Tallaght was a lovely little country village before all the social housing.
    Jobstown would have been positively picturesque before they built the houses I can only imagine.
    Wait what was the point of this again.

I think to highlight how pumping up population numbers through lax immigration standards is doing more harm than good in terms of our housing crisis.

• Advertisement

Klaz anti means opposed to.
    By holding a position that you are against most immigration you are by default anti immigration. I did not say the majority of posters were racist.
    I said anti immigrant and I stand by that view. If a person is opposed to immigration they are by the very definition of the word anti-immigrant.

Believing that we now have enough ethnically non Irish in Ireland (highest in all of the EU), while many of our young people are still forced to emigrate, is not "anti-immigrant". We should concentrate on proper actual integration, instead of making the same gang culture mistakes that have been made in Rochdale, Balbriggan etc. If you bring in too many foreign migrants in proportion to the local culture and ethnicity, they have no interest in integration and becoming ethnically and culturally Irish over time, and just wish to create their own enclaves within a country. Time and time again this mistake is seen everywhere, yet we are rushing headlong in Ireland to replicate it in every way, bringing in waves of mass migration, who are only economically interested in Ireland, and have zero interest in being Irish or in Irish culture history and heritage. I used to work in a very "multicultural" large multinational in Leinster, and despite all our best efforts, the migrants were only interested in going for meals / tea breaks etc. with their own nationalities, living in areas with their own nationalities/culture, only socialising with their own nationalities/culture. That might suit a new wold country, fair enough, but not an existing one. Despite all our best efforts and management's, they had zero interest in Ireland and the Irish other than economically. Very sad, and we're definitely heading for more Balbriggans and Rochdales. I don't have any confidence that Irish governments will be any better than British or French ones were at integration and so called "multi-culturalism".

Advertisement