Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm guessing that tweet was picked up by some far-right site. Is that where you found it? Because there are literally hundreds of comments from racist men underneath, telling her to 'go home'.

Sounds more like she just wishes that the Indian diaspora made itself a bit more visible, and was more organised, a bit like the Irish in the UK, America or Australia. Not sure why you (and all the other racists who commented underneath it) find that so offensive.
    There's an element of that yes, but it is a tad bloody ridiculous to complain and be surprised, even irritated that living in a White country means that she lives her life through a White lens. It's a little more than the diaspora being more visible too. Again this is very much a current European "diversity" problem and a problem of the multicultural politic that as usual only goes one way. Just like no or bloody few multiculturalists would dare suggest that what India needs is more White culture and people and a lens and certainly wouldn't if they were White European living there, it's game ball for non White people living in White Europe to do so, even be encouraged to do so.

Note you don't see White Europeans of a non local background coming out with;

"I wish Ireland had more community for the German/Italian/Spanish diaspora

I’m really sick of having to look at my life through an Irish lens

with my German/Italian/Spanish identity and culture in the retrospective -

a small sad part of me I’m encouraged to disavow"

While standing in an Irish field looking windswept and interesting. They'd be laughed out of it too, if it even occurred to anyone among those diasporas to come out with that stuff. Many of the above might hang out with others from their background, but to publicly complain about the host country? Eh nope. Thing is we're so used to this one way multicultural politic it hardly surprises us to see it, but increasingly people are getting a bit tired of being lectured on it.
    The worst thing about that poster is. She lives in Ireland. Graduated in 2019.
    With a “B. Sc Medicinal Science”
    https://twitter.com/JessicaOkeke_/status/1188777612153446404
    Well fair play to her for her qualification. The other daftness she's spouting sounds like some further twisting of the "alternative Black history" thing that took hold in the US and some US colleges back in the late 80's. A reimagining of history from a Black African perspective in the face of a White Eurocentric one(with a hint of Whites are devils and stole everything from us Nation of Islam angle). There is much to be said for getting away from too much Eurocentric thinking in history, but when it goes towards fantasy then not so much.

So you had books like Black Athena that claimed the Greek classical world was directly influenced by African Egypt. The popular notion in the US that ancient Egyptians were Black sub Saharan Africans that Cleopatra, Nefertiti and Rameses were Black and so forth. You'll see some US researchers reconstructing pharaonic faces as Black, just like 19th century European researchers had painted them as pale Europeans. In one period some were Black when Kush took over the place, but for most of its history they were effectively middle easterners with way more genetic connections to Mediterranean Europe. Cleopatra was the last of the Ptolemaic line, a Greek. The Egyptians themselves were quite aware of the different "races" and in various places represented Black Africans, White Europeans, other Middle Easterners, even possibly Asians, but consistently showed themselves as tanned and not Black Africans.

There's also the element of Irish Americans claiming to be descendants of Irish chieftains going on with some of this. The African diaspora can have "we were kings".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes it does. He is a doctor here and she is a lovely person i have met her. You should be more grateful.

Err... why should I be more grateful? Hell, why should I be grateful at all?

and no it doesn't. Telling someone to go home because of their race would be racist. Telling someone to go home for being an ungrateful little B*** isn't racist.

Why are people like you deliberately going out of your way to make her miserable?

Is she here now, reading these posts?

Anyway... she posted this crap on the internet. What did she expect? a round of applause?
    She was physically attacked on the street a few months ago by racists. She works in a hospital and was on her way home.

Which is terrible, and I doubt anyone here would support/tolerate such an attack.

However, it doesn't change that what she said deserves criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyway... she posted this crap on the internet. What did she expect? a round of applause?

Which is terrible, and I doubt anyone here would support/tolerate such an attack.

However, it doesn't change that what she said deserves criticism.

I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Err... why should I be more grateful? Hell, why should I be grateful at all?

and no it doesn't. Telling someone to go home because of their race would be racist. Telling someone to go home for being an ungrateful little B*** isn't racist.

Of course you should. She works in a Hospital. She is doing good work and helping sick people.

She might be taking care of YOU some day.

She doesn't have to be grateful to live here. No one does. She is a citizen ...she has a right to live here.

She has rights to be here.

And yes they are real legal rights.

She is contributing positively to our society. She is saving lives. She is caring about people.

• Advertisement

I mean your general attitude in society. I am sure you say these things to people's faces also. Unless you are afraid to.

Of course you should. She works in a Hospital. She is doing good work and helping sick people.

She might be taking care of YOU some day.

She doesn't have to be grateful to live here. No one does. She is a citizen ...she has a right to live here.

She has rights to be here.

And yes they are real legal rights.

She is contributing positively to our society. She is saving lives. She is caring about people.

WTF are you on about and why are you trying (really badly) to guilt trip me?

*Hint* Deal with her tweet. Forget her background. If someone you didn't know wrote it, what would you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Yes it does. He is a doctor here and she is a lovely person i have met her. You should be more grateful.

What she said is disrespectful,anytime i lived where i was a minority i fully accepted my position as a visitor to their country.

I accepted whatever racism comes with that because i look different to them,humans can be very tribal especially poor ones,it is their country i had my own country to go back to anytime i wanted.

I tried to assimilate and i fully understood the onus was on me to show i am no different to them,it wasn't on them to become more White for me and if i posted something like this to them that they could read i would fully expect a lot and i mean a lot of hate from the suffering underclass that exist in every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Grateful for what precisely? Perhaps that lady should consider practicing some gratitude. She is a guest in Ireland. Anybody with a modicum of basic manners understands that it’s incredibly rude to denigrate your host.

This tweet isn’t some benign utterance. People like this lady are sowing the seeds of division. There is absolutely nothing wrong with locals insisting that she gets with the program and accepts that there is a Leitkultur in Ireland, to which she has a responsibility to integrate.

I had been hoping that that her tweet was a parody. Unfortunately, it looks legitimate. Truly depressing..

Hamachi wrote: »
    She is a guest in Ireland...

Understand this. She is as Irish as you. If you dont accept this you are racist.

She is an Irish citizen.

Someone not being the same RACE as you doesn't give them less rights or make them A GUEST

There are many ways to be Irish. You can be british and Irish Indian and Irish.

She doesn't have to be any more grateful than you.

• Advertisement

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    What she said is disrespectful,anytime i lived where i was a minority i fully accepted my position as a visitor to their country.

You WERE a visitor. You were a blow in. You were not a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I tried to assimilate and i fully understood the onus was on me to show i am no different to them,it wasn't on them to become more White for me and if i posted something like this to them that they could read i would fully expect a lot and i mean a lot of hate from the suffering underclass that exist in every country.

There used to be a moderator on one of the political forums, who stated that if Muslims won't assimilate, then we must change our ways to suit them. This is the kind of mindset people like ILYV have. They think that if anything makes a minority uncomfortable, then it must be changed. So they essentially think that cultural power should be handed over to our new arrivals, in the name of placating them. It's absolute lunacy, but it's an ever growing trend in the west with these types.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I can't imagine having the balls to write that up about where I live. It would ruin me socially and rightly so.

WTF are you on about and why are you trying (really badly) to guilt trip me?

*Hint* Deal with her tweet. Forget her background. If someone you didn't know wrote it, what would you think?

I would not really have given her tweet much thought. It doesnt trigger me as it does you.

I think its not something that i would react to.

I don't know why you don't realize someone pointing out that this woman spends her life helping to save irish lives is guilt tripping you.
    She is a GOOD person. She contributes a lot to this country.

Her venting feelings on social media isn't something that would trigger me ..i am sure she doesn't expect you to be able to change anything about her experience.

And i don't act like she describes to people ..so it doesn't bother me.

Understand this. She is as Irish as you. If you dont accept this you are racist.

If she's as Irish as us, and she's the one complaining, she's the racist.

I can't imagine having the balls to write that up about where I live. It would ruin me socially and rightly so.

I can't imagine you having the balls either.

;)

The funny thing is that it's you and her that is making this about race.

She's said that she's tired of living in a country that is not predominately not of her race/nationality. Simple logic dictates that she move to a country which has a greater population of that racial grouping.... not that Ireland change by having more of that racial group, or that Irish culture change to accommodate her needs.

I have no issue with her being an Irish citizen. Not whatsoever. I take exception to the content of her tweet. Simple enough. Which is not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

You WERE a visitor. You were a blow in. You were not a citizen.

Legal mumbo Jumbo man,just because we hand out passports easier doesn't change the fact that i worked in places for more than 5 years which is all it takes to get a passport here.I contributed in a positive way just as this lady did,it just so happens we hand out passports like confetti.

This is basically the crux of so many of the issues here these people come here and in 5 years they got all the benefits of an Irish passport while at anytime they can dump that and go back and live in their own country.

A lot of us Irish we only got one Passport its an unfair advantage have you just an Irish passport or have you another one ?or place you can go to at anytime some of us only got little old Ireland where we were born.

If she's as Irish as us, and she's the one complaining, she's the racist.
    It isn't our Irishness that is the issue...its whiteness.

I would not really have given her tweet much thought. It doesnt trigger me as it does you.

TBH your posting style "triggers" me more than her tweet. You keep suggesting what others feel, as opposed to dealing with what this person put up on the internet for others to see.

Tweeting something publicly is like marching into the street, and shouting your views for everyone nearby to hear. She bears responsibility for choosing to advertise her views...

• Advertisement

So you said she's a lovely problem but she has a problem with us because we're white.. I'm really confused. She's obviously a racist piece of shlt if she's as Irish as Irish people but wishes more Irish people were her ethnicity.

Is that the correct conclusion here?

Legal mumbo Jumbo man,just because we hand out passports easier doesn't change the fact that i worked in places for more than 5 years which is all it takes to get a passport here.I contributed in a positive way just as this lady did,it just so happens we hand out passports like confetti.

This is basically the crux of so many of the issues here these people come here and in 5 years they got all the benefits of an Irish passport while at anytime they can dump that and go back and live in their own country.

A lot of us Irish we only got one Passport its an unfair advantage have you just an Irish passport or have you another one ?or place you can go to at anytime some of us only got little old Ireland where we were born.

Then apply for a passport elsewhere ....if you want that opportunity. And if you ARENT being offered that after contributing positively that is abuse of your rights.

If you aren't prepared to stand up for yourself....that is what you will get.

I would wager were you were wasn't a place you would have wanted to be permanently though.

By the way its not legal mumbo jumbo. LAWS ARE REAL. They change lives.

There is NO nation without a law. Laws make Ireland. All our constitution is ..is law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

She is an Irish citizen.

Someone not being the same RACE as you doesn't give them less rights or make them A GUEST

There are many ways to be Irish. You can be british and Irish Indian and Irish.

She doesn't have to be any more grateful than you.

Presumably she came to this country to improve the economic circumstances of her family. She didn’t come here selflessly to save all those poor unfortunates living in a developed, first world economy. Fundamentally, it was for personal gain.

Ireland kindly offered her a path to citizenship, a vehicle to stay here long term. Gratitude is precisely what is required from this woman. Gratitude to a country that has provided her with a living and a home. If she’s as thoroughly Irish as you claim, she’ll see fit not to broadcast immature, naval gazing utterances about her host society going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if a white person was to move to China or Japan they would tend to feel like an outsider to some extent. It would be interesting to hear their experiences , the point where somebody should switch off is where they start to blame the host population in anyway, its not their problem.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So you said she's a lovely problem but she has a problem with us because we're white.. I'm really confused. She's obviously a racist piece of shlt if she's as Irish as Irish people but wishes more Irish people were her ethnicity.

Is that the correct conclusion here?
    No its only one YOU could come up with.

She feels isolated. I feel it too sometimes.

She wishes she felt less isolated and more people could see her point of view.

She is looking for empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That very harsh, I dont think she was being racist as you are implying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jmreire wrote: »
    I take it from his name that he is Muslim, and I wonder what would happen if a non- Muslim were to go on national TV in an Islamic Country, and say exactly the same thing's.....IE: "The Head of the Police, is a Muslim. The Head of the Council is a Muslim. The Head of the Hospital is a Muslim" etc........:cool: I'd say his departure from that Country would be very quick.

Agree. It would either be a quick deportation or “disappeared” for decades - labour camp or prison :/

No its only one YOU could come up with.

She feels isolated. I feel it too sometimes.

She wishes she felt less isolated and more people could see her point of view.

She is looking for empathy.

This is pointless. I don't think even you know what point you're trying to make.

TBH your posting style "triggers" me more than her tweet. You keep suggesting what others feel, as opposed to dealing with what this person put up on the internet for others to see.

Tweeting something publicly is like marching into the street, and shouting your views for everyone nearby to hear. She bears responsibility for choosing to advertise her views...

SO?

What you are posting suggests you are not open to debate but everything you say is based on emotion and not ideas.

I mean you keep saying laws papers don't matter. She doesn't FEEL Irish to you.

All you are saying is what she said made you ANGRY.

These are emotions.

You have no reason to be against her other than emotions. All you have is your emotional reaction to what she has said.

That's fair enough.
    That very harsh, I dont think she was being racist as you are implying

I don't think its racist to say what i implied.

• Advertisement

This is pointless.
    Well then you should leave.

Advertisement