Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Amongst other words…… hear it myself at the creche, very young children trotting out explicit stuff altogether with all the innocence of playground rhymes. Not least that one, will prove difficult to contain

you only have to hear how much the yank term "mother-fu**er" is said by kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Gradius wrote: »
    Yes, the countrys inordinately accelerating population is completely natural. Every country will have +50 odd percent increase in less than a generation. Don't think about it too much.

We don't know who's who anymore, unfortunately our central STATISTICS office forgot to keep a tab on statistics. An innocent mistake. It's no big deal, we'll get around to that some other time. Don't think about it.

Yeah, the infrastructure will be fixed. Annnny day now the trend will suddenly reverse. We don't have enough housing but we swear on our pinky we will someday. Nothing to do with our completely normal population increase, no siiirrreebob. Don't worry about it.

In the meantime, let me hold that money, I'll be right back. Swear to God!

Take a deep breath.

The population growth we are experiencing is not remotely shocking unless you have a problem with people who don't look precisely like you.

This thread is a cesspit.

Heraclius wrote: »
    Take a deep breath.

The population growth we are experiencing is not remotely shocking unless you have a problem with people who don't look precisely like you.

why did you bring color into this ?

It was quite clear the point was the numbers of people not the color of the people.
    Well done on showing your agenda

I don't see how the population is increasing by 50% in a generation. It is currently roughly 5 million and I don't think it is predicted to reach 7.5 million in a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

a good bunch of those 1.8 million are regular people adding to our financial resources

It isnt 1.8 Million :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Take a deep breath.

So it's completely normal, eh?

"In 2017 the UN predicted a decline of global population growth rate from +1.0% in 2020 to +0.5% in 2050 and to +0.1% in 2100. ... Randers' "most likely scenario" predicts a peak in the world population in the early 2040s at about 8.1 billion people, followed by decline."

But somehow, a population increase of around 50% is normal in Ireland....

Hmmmmm.

The mind often revolts at unwanted reality, perhaps that's why your brain is projecting sewage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

you only have to hear how much the yank term "mother-fu**er" is said by kids.

It’s the grotty sexual “innuendo” that is most disturbing. Probably hear this stuff through overwhelmingly popular media to the sound of something akin to a wind-up music box and so think eh what harm. Talking veritable toddlers here, awful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sand wrote: »
    The 1.8 is clearly a typo, with 1.18 intended. As stated by the initial post your are quoting, 1.18 million is 31.13% of 3.79 million and that is clearly dramatic population growth in just 20 years with a crippling economic cataclysm in the middle of it. Of course resources and systems are going to be under massive strain when people are flooding in to take advantage of them.

The latest burden being placed on us is this madcap scheme to buy a house for every asylum seeker who arrives on our shores. No thought at all given to what that is going to mean for Irish people trying to buy a home or indeed the impact to the environment or peoples quality of life as they are increasingly forced to move further and further away from their work.

No. They claimed nearly a million increase a decade. The figures dont add up. The claims are nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't see how the population is increasing by 50% in a generation. It is currently roughly 5 million and I don't think it is predicted to reach 7.5 million in a generation.

Anything can be a small number when you pick and choose where you begin.

Try to figure out when the population began to noticeably increase, and start there instead.

Yes, the countrys inordinately accelerating population is completely natural. Every country will have +50 odd percent increase in less than a generation. Don't think about it too much.

We don't know who's who anymore, unfortunately our central STATISTICS office forgot to keep a tab on statistics. An innocent mistake. It's no big deal, we'll get around to that some other time. Don't think about it.

Yeah, the infrastructure will be fixed. Annnny day now the trend will suddenly reverse. We don't have enough housing but we swear on our pinky we will someday. Nothing to do with our completely normal population increase, no siiirrreebob. Don't worry about it.

In the meantime, let me hold that money, I'll be right back. Swear to God!

How would you suggest that the statistics office keep a record of these things?

• Advertisement

Annasopra wrote: »
    No. They claimed nearly a million increase a decade. The figures dont add up. The claims are nonsense.

The population has increased by 1.2 million since 2000.

That's an increase of 32%.

The recent government plan was to increase the populations n by a further 1 million by 2040.

If that were the case, our population will have grown by 59% by then.

There's no point mentioning "returning Irish Nationals" because they don't even know what that means anymore. They "forgot" to record that.

Anything can be a small number when you pick and choose where you begin.

Try to figure out when the population began to noticeably increase, and start there instead.

Around 1950 I think when we had roughly 2.5 million if I remember correctly.

The population has increased by 1.2 million since 2000.

That's an increase of 32%.

The recent government plan was to increase the populations n by a further 1 million by 2040.

If that were the case, our population will have grown by 59% by then.

There's no point mentioning "returning Irish Nationals" because they don't even know what that means anymore. They "forgot" to record that.

A large fraction of any increase is driven by an excess of births over deaths though.

bubblypop wrote: »

Ohhh, that's a hard one....hmmm...how do you record things....hmmmmmm...

Nope! No idea, I'm afraid.

Maybe you should ask the central statistics office. Oh but wait...damn! They don't know either!

Ohhh, that's a hard one....hmmm...how do you record things....hmmmmmm...

Nope! No idea, I'm afraid.

Maybe you should ask the central statistics office. Oh but wait...damn! They don't know either!

So, you don't know.
    Fair enough.

is that not their job to keep statistics ?
    The clue is in the name

is that not their job to keep statistics ?
    The clue is in the name

But how do you think they should do that?

A large fraction of any increase is driven by an excess of births over deaths though.

Yeah, you may want to dig into information a bit there.

Cos if you think this population increase is down to Irish babies being born, you're living in the clouds.

Your assumption about "normal" population growth was dead wrong.

Your assumption about percentage increase was dead wrong.

Maybe you should figure this one out on your own. It's good for the mind to calculate.

But how do you think they should do that?
    its not my job, that is their job.

are you just being obtuse for the sake of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Strumms wrote: »
    The cso have said in the past that Ireland's population, which stood at 4.74 million in 2016, is projected to increase to between 5.33 million and 5.81 million by 2036..

An extra million people approximately or possibly.... over a very short space of time...

How will we cope ? We probably won’t.

Will anybody have the stones to speak up as to what is the driver of the population increase...? Unlikely....yet..

Our debt has risen from 40 billion in 2000 to 240 billion today . I know he got a 85 billion loan in 2008 but that's still a massive deficit . The people that are running this country are starting to look more inept/ clueless by the day . When people say that we have to house every refugee that arrives here , it's doing nothing but heaping more pressure on , housing , healthcare , schools , hospitals and the taxpayer. Why do we have to house them ???

When me and my mates went to Australia , we slept on bunkbeds in hostels or rented houses and headed off to work everyday . No on headed down to the welfare office " excuse me can I get a house " everyone just worked and slummed it for a few years . My friends that've stayed in Oz are nearly there 14 years and have all bought their own homes now . They haven't cost the Oz government a penny , except one who got deported and that was just being held in a detention centre for 3 weeks . It's the same when half my family went to England , no handouts, they put the head down and worked and lived in dumps till they could afford better. It's the total opposite of what happens here and it's a way fairer system .

• Advertisement

Cos if you think this population increase is down to Irish babies being born, you're living in the clouds.

Your assumption about population growth was dead wrong.

Maybe you should figure this one out on your own. It's good for the mind to calculate.

In Q2 2020 there was about 13000 births and just over 3 out of four of those were to mother's of Irish nationality according to the CSO. Meanwhile there were around 8000 deaths. The excess of births over deaths was just under 5000 in that quarter.

It was the weakest comeback since Kid Weak, after a record 100-0 losses, decided to fight Man "Strong" Strongman, in a competition of strength :p

Our debt has risen from 40 billion in 2000 to 240 billion today . I know he got a 85 billion loan in 2008 but that's still a massive deficit . The people that are running this country are starting to look more inept/ clueless by the day . When people say that we have to house every refugee that arrives here , it's doing nothing but heaping more pressure on , housing , healthcare , schools , hospitals and the taxpayer. Why do we have to house them ???

When me and my mates went to Australia , we slept on bunkbeds in hostels or rented houses and headed off to work everyday . No on headed down to the welfare office " excuse me can I get a house " everyone just worked and slummed it for a few years . My friends that've stayed in Oz are nearly there 14 years and have all bought their own homes now . They haven't cost the Oz government a penny , except one who got deported and that was just being held in a detention centre for 3 weeks . It's the same when half my family went to England , no handouts, they put the head down and worked and lived in dumps till they could afford better. It's the total opposite of what happens here and it's a way fairer system .

its a case of more than looking inept

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

its a case of more than looking inept

I didn't wanna put down what I really thought of them as I probably be banned

In Q2 2020 there was about 13000 births and just over 3 out of four of those were to mother's of Irish nationality according to the CSO. Meanwhile there were around 8000 deaths. The excess of births over deaths was just under 5000 in that quarter.

Irish "nationality" cannot be distinguished from actual Irish because they "forgot" to differentiate and record.

D'oh! Terribly inconvenient, I must say.

Your assumption about percentage increase was dead wrong.

I don't think I'm wrong about there not being 50% growth in a generation. A generation is roughly 25-30 years and I don't think you have proved that we have growth at that rate.

You seem to prefer an Ireland with 2.5 million bitter people with their children leaving for jobs elsewhere. I prefer an Ireland with a growing economy and consequently a growing population.

And if they tried to keep a record of everyone in the country, what would happen do.you think?

Irish "nationality" cannot be distinguished from actual Irish because they "forgot" to differentiate and record.

D'oh! Terribly inconvenient, I must say.

What is the difference between Irish nationality and actually irish?

I don't think I'm wrong about there not being 50% growth in a generation. A generation is roughly 25-30 years and I don't think you have proved that we have growth at that rate.

You seem to prefer an Ireland with 2.5 million bitter people with their children leaving for jobs elsewhere. I prefer an Ireland with a growing economy and consequently a growing population.

I LITERALLY just calculated it before.

I'm right.

You quite simply are avoiding basic maths at this point and talking about your "beliefs".

Die in ignorance then, I'm not your teacher.

• Advertisement

What is the difference between Irish nationality and actually irish?

Yawn.

Advertisement