Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

big business welcome migration where mean miser companies can exploit cheap labour.

Maybe in australia now they can offer a decent wage to entice workers

Both major political parties, in government and the opposition, are in favour of a return to mass migration.

Basically beware of skilled migration being used as a tool for big business. Skilled migration definitely has some excellent merits if used correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Both major political parties, in government and the opposition, are in favour of a return to mass migration.

Basically beware of skilled migration being used as a tool for big business. Skilled migration definitely has some excellent merits if used correctly.

again I have no problem with immigration if done properly and within limits , and believe it is beneficial,

But sadly we get too many immigrant both legal and illegal, and you can bet those illegal ones are being manipulated by greedy people exploiting cheap labour

Again, not true. French, German, British, Spanish police have been dealing with terrorism for decades, way back to the 60s and 70s.

I'm putting you on ignore now...

And yet domestic terrorism in Ireland has been around much longer.
    Not sure why you want to put Gardai down when they are clearly doing a great job.

mohawk wrote: »
    Why can’t we do similar here. Why have the powers that be decided we won’t have any of the problems that other countries have had. Why can’t we learn from the experiences of others.

We are a nation of gullible voters that have voted in chancers and charlatans for decades based on Auction politics and will continue to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Off topic bickering deleted. Can we please stay on topic folks

• Advertisement

This is certainly on topic

This is where multiculturalism ends up. With differing cultures being represented by different political parties:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/new-muslim-party-in-sweden-eyes-turkish-community/

A pro-Islamic Party Nyanset (Nuance Party) is targeting Sweden’s Turkish and Muslim communities in a bid to reach the election threshold of 4% and enter parliament in the 2022 elections.

Party leader Mikail Yüksel announced to his 200 followers on TikTok on Friday that the party’s posters have even been put up in Turkey. Founded in 2019, the party could potentially gain a large following in Sweden, which is home to an estimated 810,000 Muslims, or around 8.1% of the population. Of these, around 50,000 people have Turkish origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

This is certainly on topic

This is where multiculturalism ends up. With differing cultures being represented by different political parties:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/new-muslim-party-in-sweden-eyes-turkish-community/

A pro-Islamic Party Nyanset (Nuance Party) is targeting Sweden’s Turkish and Muslim communities in a bid to reach the election threshold of 4% and enter parliament in the 2022 elections.

Party leader Mikail Yüksel announced to his 200 followers on TikTok on Friday that the party’s posters have even been put up in Turkey. Founded in 2019, the party could potentially gain a large following in Sweden, which is home to an estimated 810,000 Muslims, or around 8.1% of the population. Of these, around 50,000 people have Turkish origins.

I just read the article and I’m trying to figure out what the substantive issue is here. The article calls it a pro-Islamic party which could mean several things to be honest, but also seems to suggest that it’s also a kind of pluralist party that appears to lean pro-EU and wants to prevent what happened in France from happening in Sweden.

Am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

wants to prevent what happened in France from happening in Sweden
    I would assume they want to prevent people losing their lives over mohamed drawings, right? And of course not by banning those drawings.

big business welcome migration where mean miser companies can exploit cheap labour.

Maybe in australia now they can offer a decent wage to entice workers

Fair enough, although Australia has three major industries that requires low-skilled workers. Farming, mining, and a huge services industry aimed at tourism. They can absorb and provide more (in terms of employment) for their migrants than many other nations.

It's also worth considering where their migrants are coming from. Australia gets most of its migrants from Asia, and Asians typically have little interest in importing their own cultures to a western nation. They integrate well, and rarely cause much problems. They have very little immigration from the countries that tend to come to Europe, so in terms of multiculturalism, there's a very different mix happening. Skilled migration is very well controlled, and migrants are tracked.

I spent some time in Oz working professionally, and apart from Asians, I didn't encounter many other racial groups, except for Western expats, who were only staying in Oz for a few years before returning home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Maybe a Police force with a long recent history on tackling terrorism has an expertise to identify and arrest terrorists that other EU countries dont have?

Over egging the ability of our police force when they have shag all experience of dealing with the new terrorist threats.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    No other police force has the experience of our own when it comes to terrorism.
    AGS were dealing with the threat of terrorism decades before any other police force.
    Which turns out to be a positive thing now, that they are ahead of the game with international terrorism.

This shyte is always trotted out as if we are the only ones that have experience of terrorism.

We had experience of home grown terrorists, Irish born and bred terrorists.
    Pasty white guys and women that looked and acted like the members of the AGS.
    People that lived and mixed in the local community where locals close to the AGS could keep a close eye on them.

And the word is had since most of the officers with a wealth of experience in that area have probably retired or being promoted out of that area by now.

And a wealth of dealing with Irish terrorists does not mean one has a wealth of experience in dealing with islamist terrorists.

How many of the AGS can speak Arabic, Urdu, etc ?
    How many of AGS can blend into the muslim community or attend a mosque without standing out like the proverbial sore thumb?

And that is a very valid reason for making the AGS more multicultural, mulit-ethnic.

I would bet a lot of the monitoring of islamists in Ireland is being carried out by foreign services.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

AGS are very well equipped to deal with international terrorism, as is shown by their high level of arrests linked earlier.
    AGS are also quite capable of carrying out surveillance on all parts of our society.
    I would have thought posters would be happy that our national police force are so well equipped.

Seems there is no satisfying some people

BTW, I hope you don't bet too often, you must be broke! :D

AGS are very well equipped to deal with international terrorism, as is shown by their high level of arrests linked earlier.

Actually, a well equipped competent law enforcement agency, that is AGS or military or any other, would have prevented these activities that led to arrests from taking place.
    There will be very little comfort in arrests made after a bombing.

Also, it's funny how the narrative have changed from there is no islamic terrorism in Ireland to there is but AGS is well equipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Cordell wrote: »
    Actually, a well equipped competent law enforcement agency, that is AGS or military or any other, would have prevented these activities that led to arrests from taking place.

Also, it's funny how the narrative have changed from there is no islamic terrorism in Ireland to there is but AGS is well equipped.

What activities could the Garda have stopped if they were better equipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Bless your confidence Bubblypop.

You are either totally on top of everything or blissfully unaware of what is going on. I really do hope it is the former, and there will be no unfortunate events in future where it is shown up to be the latter..

What activities could the Garda have stopped if they were better equipped?

I said law enforcement, not just Gards.
    If law enforcement would have been better equipped, and that includes legal powers, these people would not have been here.

If law enforcement would have been better equipped, and that includes legal powers, these people would not have been here.

I mean you have provided absolutely no evidence to make that statement and its not supported by anything in the article.

Of the 18 jihadists 17 were involved in Terrorist financing. the Report and not the article has this to add on that.
    In Europe, funds are also raised for the activities of terrorist
    groups outside Europe through legal sources, such as
    money collections and donations, and illegal sources like
    drug trafficking. Ireland, for example, reported 17 arrests
    in 2020 in connection with financing of jihadist terrorism.

So of those 17 we cannot be certain that the first illegal thing they committed was not actually the sending of money to terrorists. IE terrorist financing.

So again I ask what additional powers could we give "law enforcement" that would allow them to arrest someone in advance of committing an illegal act?

But sure alright. Maybe if we give the guards AR-15 type weapons and allow the state to lock up people without trial.

Why do you think they wouldn't have been here?
    Are you aware of who the arrested people were? Or where they are from?
    We are not too badly off with legislation actually, the Offences against the State acts, may need some updating. We also have the
    Criminal justice (Money laundering and terrorist financing ) ( amendment) Act 2021.

Nobody was arrested in relation to bomb making

bubblypop wrote: »
    Nobody was arrested in relation to bomb making

yet

Maybe if we give the guards AR-15 type weapons and allow the state to lock up people without trial.

Before that maybe get them to do a proper background check and turn back all undesirables?
    Nice strawman though.

• Advertisement

Before that maybe get them to do a proper background check and turn back all undesirables?
    Nice strawman though.
    Nice strawman though.

waka waka waka.
    Plenty of other points in my comment for you to address there cordell but I didn't expect a better response in fairness.

I assume in a few pages another poster will be along to cry about how the "woke" :rolleyes: posters wont answer any questions.

Nice strawman though.

What if they were radicalised after coming to ireland via the internet just like the report says is happening to individuals influenced by Far right Groups.

Here is another good part of the report linked in the article quoted earlier.
    CULTURAL NATIONALISM
    the belief that ‘Western culture’ is
    under threat from mass migration
    into Europe and from the lack of
    integration by certain ethnic and
    cultural groups. Cultural nationalism
    tends to focus on the rejection of
    cultural practices such as the wearing
    of the full-face veil (burqa or niqab) or
    perceived attempts to impose Islamic
    law in Western countries.

WHITE OR ETHNIC
    NATIONALISM

the belief that mass migration
    from the ‘non-white’ world and
    alleged demographic change pose
    an existential threat to the ‘white
    race’ and ‘Western culture’. White
    nationalism advocates the creation
    of a ‘white’ homeland, either through
    the partition of already existing
    countries or by the repatriation of
    ethnic minorities, carried out by force
    if necessary. Much of this rhetoric is
    present in the Identitarian movement

WHITE SUPREMACISM
    the belief that the ‘white race’ has
    certain inalienable physical and
    mental characteristics that makes it
    superior to other ‘races’.

So, it does not exist, oh, it does exist but it's only financing, oh, don't look there look here there might be right wing extremists.
    All grand then, sorry for intruding.

So, it does not exist, oh, it does exist but it's only financing, oh, don't look there look here there might be right wing extremists.

Quote me where I said these things Cordell?

enricoh wrote: »
    18 arrested in Ireland last year on jihadist terrorist charges, great to see we are importing the same issues France, the UK etc have been battling.
    I thought paddy was getting all the nice ones!

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiTWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9uZXdzL2lyZWxhbmQvMjAyMS8wNjIyLzEyMzA3MzgtdGVycm9yaXNtLW9mZmVuY2VzLWlyZWxhbmQv0gEfaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAucnRlLmllL2FtcC8xMjMwNzM4Lw?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

Enricoh links to an article about a report. You are using a sentence in the article on the report to support your unsubstantiated opinion but me using actual sections from the report is "oh, don't look there look here there might be right wing extremists."
    :D

But yeah its the "woke" posters avoiding.
    :D

Later pal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

has one pro immigration poster condemned the terrorists coming here yet ?

seems to me they have ignored it and trying deflection tactics

Bless your confidence Bubblypop.

You are either totally on top of everything or blissfully unaware of what is going on. I really do hope it is the former, and there will be no unfortunate events in future where it is shown up to be the latter..

Oh don't get me wrong, terrorist incidents can and do happen all over the world, I don't believe Ireland is any different in that respect. Unfortunately we have already had more then our fair share

Nice strawman though.

Who exactly do you mean?
    When should Gardai do those checks and on who?

Some more excellent insights from the Report in question.
    https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/main-reports/european-union-terrorism-situation-and-trend-report-2021-tesat
    Narratives and conspiracy theories with potential to incite violence

In addition to right-wing ideological currents openly advocating
    violence, individuals can be triggered into violent action by
    narratives and conspiracy theories that do not in themselves
    endorse violence

In recent years, right-wing extremist propaganda has used
    a mix of online and offline methods with a growing trend
    towards online propaganda. EU Member States assessed
    that COVID-19 and the containment measures taken
    by governments in Europe have drastically accelerated
    this trend towards the spread of right-wing extremist
    propaganda through the Internet. Social distancing and
    lockdowns have forced people to spend most of their time
    at home, so time spent in front of the computer increased
    significantly. With younger and more vulnerable individuals
    in particular spending more time online, the risk of exposure
    to right-wing extremist propaganda and online right-wing
    communities increases, increasing the risk of radicalisation.

This threads creation coincides with the period under discussion in this section of the report too.

• Advertisement

has one pro immigration poster condemned the terrorists coming here yet ?

seems to me they have ignored it and trying deflection tactics

Terrorists are bad, mkay JCD!

Risk assessment by law enforcement is and should be carried out on all of those terrorist threats and their implications to this state.

You ok JCD hun?

Advertisement