Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

I haven't argued any such thing.
    What a ridiculous post.
    Go and quote a single post of mine saying any of those things.
    Such nonsense.

Baby steps.
    Is it vile to stone people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sorry I'm confused now.

When you say it's the quran saying it, what are you referring to?

Robbie, educate yourself a bit...try reading the Quran sometime, then you won't be so confused. According to Muslims, it has all the answers to any question you might have about Life, from the cradle to the grave, and everything in between. And that means everything and every situation, from here to eternity.

jmreire wrote: »
    Robbie, educate yourself a bit...try reading the Quran sometime, then you won't be so confused. According to Muslims, it has all the answers to any question you might have about Life, from the cradle to the grave, and everything in between. And that means everything and every situation, from here to eternity.

And what about the bible?
    The bible says pretty much the same things.
    As a poster who says they know and are friends with many muslims, I find it unbelievable that you claim they all abide by the Qur'an, or believe such things.
    You must know they don't. Same as Catholics believing the bible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Fandymo wrote: »
    Last sentence Robbie. And yet you STILL haven’t given an answer to any of the questions. Which would lead any normal person to come to the conclusion that you aren’t totally against any of the above.

Edit: we aren’t taking about nukes though, are we Robbie. Your deflector shields are at minimal power if that’s the best you can come up with.

You have accused me of having an agenda. Have you any evidence of this agenda?
    Please present quotes by me to prove my agenda.

You are now lying about me and suggesting I have said things I have never done or supported those are lies you are posting about me.

Further you are now pestering me for an answer to the lies you have made up about me.

So I ask again can you quote a single post of mine where I support the things you suggest?
    Just one single quote in support of what you are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We'll end up with anomic societies with little social cohesion...it won't be an improvement on the society we had

I think the modern world has taken alot of anyways.

Serious drop in family / community values

• Advertisement

Baby steps.
    Is it vile to stone people?

You tell me Mike. Its your question. So what is your answer?

What if the person being stoned has committed rape of children or murder. Is it still vile in your opinion then to stone to death the person found guilty of such crimes.

Leviticus 24:16
    16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

You tell me Mike. Its your question. So what is your answer?

What if the person being stoned has committed rape of children or murder. Is it still vile in your opinion then to stone to death the person found guilty of such crimes.

I think its vile to stone someone, let's keep it simple, for the likes of adultery.

What do you think?
    Simple yes or no...

I think its vile to stone someone, let's keep it simple, for the likes of adultery.

What do you think?
    Simple yes or no...

I am an opponent of all forms of capital punishment.

The Christian Bible however says adultery is punishable by death by stoning. See leviticus below.

Leviticus 20:10
    10 “If a man commits adultery with the wife of[a] his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death

This seems to be a ridiculous line of questioning going on here now.

Pretty sure the majority of people don't agreeing with stoning people as punishment, or throwing gays from really high places or marrying children.
    What is the point of this?

• Advertisement

The Christian Bible however says adultery is punishable by death by stoning. See leviticus below.

10 “If a man commits adultery with the wife of[a] his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death

Ironically I'm not entirely.
    But certain activities are vile.
    Like stoning someone.
    For adultery.

But you don't view stoning as vile.
    Imagine being the person who can't condemn stoning someone for adultery as a vile act.

(Levicitus has some bat sh1t insane (and vile) instructions. But so what. Unless you're trying to suggest all Christians are vile, which is either bigoted).

bubblypop wrote: »

Pretty sure the majority of people don't agreeing with stoning people as punishment, or throwing gays from really high places or marrying children.

Are you? Pretty sure...?

You can not agree with something, but would you regard it as vile?

Ironically I'm not entirely.
    But certain activities are vile.
    Like stoning someone.
    For adultery.

But you don't view stoning as vile.
    Imagine being the person who can't condemn stoning someone for adultery as a vile act.

(Levicitus has some bat sh1t insane (and vile) instructions. But so what. Unless you're trying to suggest all Christians are vile, which is either bigoted).

JM please stop the lying about me and focus on what I have said and not what you feel I have said.

As for the bible I am merely pointing out the majority religion of this country has d the same issues you seem so offended by in the Quran.
    If those things you say are in the Quran are in it and you are offended by it then surely you should be simarly offended by their presence in the Christian bible?

Is the Christian Bible vile?

JM please stop the lying about me and focus on what I have said and not what you feel I have said.

As for the bible I am merely pointing out the majority religion of this country has d the same issues you seem so offended by in the Quran.
    If those things you say are in the Quran are in it and you are offended by it then surely you should be simarly offended by their presence in the Christian bible?

Both the Quran and Bible have vile, backward and downright evil texts. They also have some inspirational and beautiful passages.

So to your question, are either vile?
    No. They're inert books of ideas.
    It's what people do with those ideas is the problem.

But it's not a defence to hold a vile opinion, or view an act as vile because of another faith's texts. This seems to be your goto position.

You either view stoning a human to death for adultery as vile or you don't.

It's a binary choice and it's glaringly obvious you can't bring yourself to answer, as we all know the implications.

Both the Quran and Bible have vile, backward and downright evil texts. They also have some inspirational and beautiful passages.

No. They're inert books.

But it's not a defence to hold a vile opinion, or view an act as vile because of another faith's texts. This seems to be your goto position.

It's a binary choice and it's glaringly obvious you can't bring yourself to answer, as we all know the implications.

No. They're inert books of ideas.
    It's what people do with those ideas is the problem.

If its a simple binary choice answer my previous question on stoning that you ignored.
    Is it vile if a person who commits murder or the rape of children is stoned to death?

Are you? Pretty sure...?

You can not agree with something, but would you regard it as vile?

Yes, pretty sure most people would regard those things as vile, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Im not a big bible expert or anything but even I know the Old testament sure has some brutal stuff in it as it was for people living in a brutal time, luckily the Old Testament isn't an authority for christians today as they are told to emulate Jesus in ethic not live by the Old Testament. The Old covenant was completed and replaced by the New with the coming of Jesus. the Quran however is an authority by which muslims are supposed to live by (many don't much like christianity) according to the Quran and hadiths. I wouldn't say they are the same.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Im not a big bible expert or anything but even I know the Old testament sure has some brutal stuff in it as it was for people living in a brutal time, luckily the Old Testament isn't an authority for christians today as they are told to emulate Jesus in ethic not live by the Old Testament. The Old covenant was completed and replaced by the New with the coming of Jesus. the Quran however is an authority by which muslims are supposed to live by (many don't much like christianity) according to the Quran and hadiths. I wouldn't say they are the same.

I don't think that is true WrenBoy.
    Your belief in Christianity and the Bible may have waned but to devout Christians the Bible is the literal word of their god.
    Were the commandments not directly etched to stone by their god for moses.
    Is adultery no longer one of things warned against by their gods 10 main rules of life?

"Thou shalt not commit adultery"

Jesus reaffirms in the new testament adultery is still a crime under his god and goes further on what adultery is in the book of Matthew.

"But I say to you, anyone who looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart." - Matthew 5:28

If its a simple binary choice answer my previous question on stoning that you ignored.
    Is it vile if a person who commits murder or the rape of children is stoned to death?

Stoning anyone. For anything. Is vile.

We're not talking about murder/rape of children. We're talking about adultery.

Last time.
    Is it vile to stone someone for adultery?

• Advertisement

I don't think that is true WrenBoy.
    Your belief in Christianity and the Bible may have waned but to devout Christians the Bible is the literal word of their god.
    Were the commandments not directly etched to stone by their god for moses.
    Is adultery no longer one of things warned against by their gods 10 main rules of life?

"Thou shalt not commit adultery"

Jesus reaffirms in the new testament adultery is still a crime under his god and goes further on what adultery is in the book of Matthew.

"But I say to you, anyone who looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart." - Matthew 5:28

Yes but with the coming of Jesus you see a move away from prescribing of punishments like stoning for adulterers to the atonement for sins and more the idea of punishment in Hell.
    The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman accused of adultery. They said to Jesus, “Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” The question was a trap. Jesus said, “If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” They began to go away, one at a time. Jesus told the woman he did not condemn her but added “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Yes, pretty sure most people would regard those things as vile, wouldn't you?

Are you asking me or telling me?
    I'm pretty clear on my position.
    Others not so.

I'm assuming by your above response you include yourself in the "most people" category.

According to the Quran:-
    Women are less than equal to the man.
    Gay people should be killed by being thrown from a great height.
    Adulterers should be stoned to death.
    Thieves should have a hand or foot amputated.
    Marriage from 6 years on is permitted.
    Marriages have to be arranged by the Father.

So as to your question of what percentage of Muslims hold these views? Might as well ask how many Muslims follow the Quran? because by definition, every Muslim must hold to what is taught in the Quran. But as to how many Muslims actually carry out stoning, amputating of limbs, and killing of Gay's? Certainly its being done, isis / taliban / Iran / Saudi Arabia etc. being noted for it, even in 2021. In the west at any rate, we do not get much of this extreme version of Islam , the stoning amputations etc. ( suicide bombings, beheadings excepted ) But I'm pretty sure that Muslim families' adhere pretty much to everything as laid out in the Quran when it comes to their families and everyday behaviour.
    Leviticus 24:16
    16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

JM You have state categoricity that I should read the Quran and that stoning is prescribed in its pages.

This morning I have researched your claim and can find no evidence of stoning being prescribed in the Quran. I can and have provided evidence of it in the Bible.

Wikipedia has this to say on stoning in the Quran.
    While religious texts often give examples both with and without stoning, the Quran does not prescribe stoning as a punishment for any crime, mentioning only lashing as punishment for adultery

So as you have previously posted this text
    Robbie, educate yourself a bit...try reading the Quran sometime

Can you tell me which section of the Quran I should use to "educate" myself on stoning being the prescribed punishment for adultery?

Are you asking me or telling me?
    I'm pretty clear on my position.
    Others not so.

I'm assuming by your above response you include yourself in the "most people" category.

Of course, I have already said that.
    I haven't seen anyone say they agree with stoning people, have you?
    Weird line of questioning, I'm not seeing your point.

Of course, I have already said that.
    I haven't seen anyone say they agree with stoning people, have you?
    Weird line of questioning, I'm not seeing your point.

Yet you've seen fit to defend someone who can't condemn is as vile.

Very strange position, but not out of character.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Yes but with the coming of Jesus you see a move away from prescribing of punishments like stoning for adulterers to the atonement for sins and more the idea of punishment in Hell.

That doesn't actually say anything about the punishment only that those without sin should be the ones to cast the first stone.

I remember now reading how crusading knights would abstain from baptismal rites until near death so that they could be without sin as they enter heaven. Seems the Christian god loves a loophole.

Yet you've seen fit to defend someone who can't condemn is as vile.

Very strange position, but not out of character.

This doesn't make any sense?
    I've seen fit to defend who exactly?

This doesn't make any sense?
    I've seen fit to defend who exactly?

Here you go

That doesn't actually say anything about the punishment only that those without sin should be the ones to cast the first stone.

I remember now reading how crusading knights would abstain from baptismal rites until near death so that they could be without sin as they enter heaven. Seems the Christian god loves a loophole.

The point is that the main figure in Christianity does not advocate the stoning of women for adultery. If stoning women for adultery is as accepted in Christianity as Islam then we would expect Jesus to affirm that the punishment is stoning and say it is right to do so, but he doesn't. None are without sin is the message , it highlights the move in christianity that the punishment for sins is for God alone.

As for your second point, Ive never heard of that so no offence I wont take that as a point but I'd be happy to look at some link to the info if you have one.

• Advertisement

Here you go

What are you talking about?
    Who has ever said they agree with stoning anyone?
    No one.
    Who have I defended for saying stoning is right?
    No one.

Like I said, ridiculous line of questioning

Advertisement