Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Why not Irelands Native Language??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually the more times I read this the more I'm convinced... well at best that you have zero clue about what we're discussing and is just stream of consciousness emotionals and it's a waste of keyboard time to even debate.

It's actually embarrassing reading some of the rubbish ILYV posts. As in, I'm embarrassed that I wasted time reading it. I've followed this thread over the last few days and I've enjoyed the reasoned, logical, sometimes illogical, debate. I've been educated and informed by some posters. However, this poster has completely derailed the thread at this point, maybe the best course of action is to ignore and engage with other, more rational, thinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hamachi wrote: »
    I guess I should take this at face value if this lady is tweeting about her lived experience. However, I have to admit that I find it less than credible.

Generally, if you are a down-to-earth, easy going type person, you’ll find friends and fit in here. Conversely, high maintenance drama queens tend to be simply ignored. Frankly, most Irish people won’t a give a fiddlers about her keeping her Indian name. They’ll simply minimize contact with the person to the greatest extent possible, depriving them of the oxygen of attention. I wonder could this be fueling the message behind this tweet?

Oh no. Please believe me.

I swear to you. I know the most sweet down to earth guy. Very kind to everyone no matter who they are.

His name was omar. He was born here though. Irish accent. Very friendly . He has been my friend since i was a child.

You could not meet a sweeter guy. And you can tell it too. He is always smiling. But it was a couple of years ago.

He got attacked a couple of times. And he was told his career might have more of a chance by an agency if he changed his name as Omar is so perceived as being connected to Islam.

He himself is an atheist. Any expression of his background is not welcomed.

And yes it was a problem for him. I witnessed it.

I still occasionally forget to call him the new name! There are a whole bunch of new friends that ONLY know him with that name.

His gf is indian but not born here. She is catholic so the religion thing ..isn't an issue. But the name thing is. People can be REALLY rude about it. Her name is SHINY.

It can range from 'Really THAT is your name?' To 'That is a DUMB name!' To ' I am not calling you that i can't pronounce it'.

I've heard it.

Its not just Irish people here though either. It's often maybe poles russians others too.
    Or other asians.

I am just being honest for balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hard to imagine a dish that can’t be improved by adding a dash of spice.

Good thing.

A dash of spice. We had a dash of spice for decades now. Nobody has an issue with a dash of spice.

The issue is a tiny minority (and check out the polls the loony left were and remain a tiny minority) are attempting to force a whole jar of spice on the plate of the majority.

What happens when you overload your recipe with spices?
    Exactly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually the more times I read this the more I'm convinced... well at best that you have zero clue about what we're discussing and is just stream of consciousness emotionals and it's a waste of keyboard time to even debate.

He just said what would you expect in Iran?

I would expect Ireland to be aiming for better than Iran in terms of tolerance and diversity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

over 10000 posts in 13months, Jesus get out and enjoy life.

A dash of spice. We had a dash of spice for decades now. Nobody has an issue with a dash of spice.

The issue is a tiny minority (and check out the polls the loony left were and remain a tiny minority) are attempting to force a whole jar of spice on the plate of the majority.

Exactly

Ireland is 88% white Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It's actually embarrassing reading some of the rubbish ILYV posts. As in, I'm embarrassed that I wasted time reading it. I've followed this thread over the last few days and I've enjoyed the reasoned, logical, sometimes illogical, debate. I've been educated and informed by some posters. However, this poster has completely derailed the thread at this point, maybe the best course of action is to ignore and engage with other, more rational, thinkers

Same here. I was enjoying the exchange of rational debate, particularly with posters who hold contrary, but reasoned positions. The thread has been totally derailed by a Finnegan’s Wake-like stream of consciousness. Shame.

You have enjoyed the race bashing you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Exactly

Spices should be used in moderation in order to enhance your dish. Too much spice will simply spoil it.

#cookingtipz

• Advertisement

Same here. I was enjoying the exchange of rational debate, particularly with posters who hold contrary, but reasoned positions. The thread has been totally derailed by a Finnegan’s Wake-like stream of consciousness. Shame.

I am the only one who spoke about what she wrote. The rest of you were calling her a bitch and telling her to go home.

It was a cesspit.

You have enjoyed the race bashing you mean.
    That's clearly not what I said, but anyway, you will see as you want to see..:rolleyes:

Why not Irelands Native Language??

Can you put this in context please?

Why not Ireland's native language what?

Why don't we speak it?

Why don't you speak it?

I am the only one who spoke about what she wrote. The rest of you were calling her a bitch and telling her to go home.

It was a cesspit.
    Lies. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

No i have not.

She obviously can't appear to be white. But she could adopt a white Irish name etc Or not dress in indian clothing.

I mean if she were called Ruth from london and was white ...i doubt there would be much issue.

She can't appear white, but if she was white there'd be no problem? Do you think if her name was Svetlana or Agneskia she wouldn't encounter dopes who would try and make her sound more Irish? I encounter dopes who are deeply offended that I haven't 'lost' my English accent despite living here since I was nine. Idiots who call me a plastic paddy who have been alive for less years than I've lived here and wouldn't have a clue what living in a Midlands town in England at the height of an IRA bombing campaign meant to Irish people. When your Dad gets attacked on his way home from work, flaming turds posted through your letter box, other kids rubbing nettles in your face because you're an ugly, freckled murdering Paddy doesn't hammer home your Irisness and doesn't persuade you to hide it, some equally, ignorant dopes in this country with a fixed idea of what Irish should look like, sound like, pray like or be named are quickly put back in their box. These cnuts exist here, as I'm sure you've experienced. They are also a dying breed. And it has nothing to do with skin colour

That's clearly not what I said, but anyway, you will see as you want to see..:rolleyes:
    Its not what you said no.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    She can't appear white, but if she was white there'd be no problem? Do you think if her name was Svetlana or Agneskia she wouldn't encounter dopes who would try and make her sound more Irish? I encounter dopes who are deeply offended that I haven't 'lost' my English accent despite living here since I was nine. Idiots who call me a plastic paddy who have been alive for less years than I've lived here and wouldn't have a clue what living in a Midlands town in England at the height of an IRA bombing campaign meant to Irish people. When your Dad gets attacked on his way home from work, flaming turds posted through your letter box, other kids rubbing nettles in your face because you're an ugly, freckled murdering Paddy doesn't hammer home your Irisness and doesn't persuade you to hide it, some equally, ignorant dopes in this country with a fixed idea of what Irish should look like, sound like, pray like or be named are quickly put back in their box. These cnuts exist here, as I'm sure you've experienced. They are also a dying breed. And it has nothing to do with skin colour

And if people were encouraged to give up their irish identity during those times...i would speak up against that. depsite being told to 'go home'

I would certainly have the 'balls to'.

You keep saying that as if it's a bad thing.

What is the perfect percentage for you?

Lies. Simple as.

Several times people have said she should go home.

Wrong again. The ROI is 94% white; NI is 97% white. Why are you confidently asserting ‘facts’ when you clearly don’t understand the ethnic composition of this country?

• Advertisement

Its not what you said no.
    So how can you possibly know otherwise then? You said I enjoyed the race bashing? On what are you basing this? Please enlighten me. Your whole motive seems to be based on emotion and little, if any, reasoned logic. Here you are again accusing me of "race bashing" with absolutely zero evidence of this. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I would like to see a Boards.ie Consensus.

Economists agree that immigration has a net positive on the economy and this immigration is surely a wonderful thing for the county.

Agree/Disagree?

This is simplistic. We don't run a country strictly by economists. Yes at times it seems we do.
    A certain amount of controlled immigration spread throughout the country. This is sensible policy.
    What we tend to get is concentration of immigration in the poorer parts of our nation.
    I don't think multi culturalism is a good idea . People must integrate and avoid enclaves.
    However I think the evidence is that we haven't bought the pup to the extent they did in the UK

The EU made a mistake in not allowing the UK to put a brake on immigration from time to time. This should be a policy with us.
    As for refugees- I never agreed with the UN convention as in modern times you have refugees from a continent away landing here.
    Yes take a certain number and leave it there.
    Btw I teach a lot of foreign kids. They are by and large much better than Irish students . They want to learn. Not against immigration just we need a proper debate.

You keep saying that as if it's a bad thing.

What is the perfect percentage for you?

I haven't passed comment as to whether it's a bad or good thing.

I have simply stated the facts.

Do you think being a white country is a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Bobtheman wrote: »

The EU made a mistake in not allowing the UK to put a brake on immigration from time to time. This should be a policy with us.
    As for refugees- I never agreed with the UN convention as in modern times you have refugees from a continent away landing here.

How did the EU prevent the UK from putting a brake on immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wrong again. The ROI is 94% white; NI is 97% white. Why are you confidently asserting ‘facts’ when you clearly don’t understand the ethnic composition of this country?

white Irish , we have a lot of white eastern europeans here, but when the poster said white Irish he was correct.

white Irish , we have a lot of white eastern europeans here, but when the poster said white Irish he was correct.

Yes ...I was not including white polish or others etc in the white Irish figures.

Ireland is very very white.

No, she isn’t correct. White Irish are only 84% of the population. We already have far more than a dash of spice, yams, pierogi or wherever it is you are having..

Mod: Dealt with later in thread. Please stop reporting it.

No, she isn’t correct. White Irish are only 84% of the population. We already have far more than a dash of spice, yams, pierogi or wherever it is you are having..
    I was including travellers.

I am not sure referring to people as pierogi or yams is ...polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Oh no. Please believe me.

I swear to you. I know the most sweet down to earth guy. Very kind to everyone no matter who they are.

His name was omar. He was born here though. Irish accent. Very friendly . He has been my friend since i was a child.

You could not meet a sweeter guy. And you can tell it too. He is always smiling. But it was a couple of years ago.

He got attacked a couple of times. And he was told his career might have more of a chance by an agency if he changed his name as Omar is so perceived as being connected to Islam.

He himself is an atheist. Any expression of his background is not welcomed.

And yes it was a problem for him. I witnessed it.

I still occasionally forget to call him the new name! There are a whole bunch of new friends that ONLY know him with that name.

His gf is indian but not born here. She is catholic so the religion thing ..isn't an issue. But the name thing is. People can be REALLY rude about it. Her name is SHINY.

It can range from 'Really THAT is your name?' To 'That is a DUMB name!' To ' I am not calling you that i can't pronounce it'.

I've heard it.

Its not just Irish people here though either. It's often maybe poles russians others too.
    Or other asians.

I am just being honest for balance.

Try being a Niamh or an Orlaith in London.

• Advertisement

I was including travellers.

Who are < 1% of the population. You are incorrect.

Advertisement