Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Well kildare lad I actually believe my question is fallacious. For the same reasons I said the big gotcha about multiculturalism was fallacious. If you exclude all the positive things from human society food and arts and culture music and sport and science. Write them off as exoticism then really us humans aren't worth a lot.
    What were the positives we discovered are really left for Ireland (Guinness farts and tayto and a middle Eastern religion) ?
    So really I think my question was stupid but I think the question about multiculturalism framed in the same way is stupid too for the exact same reasons.

Ok a good few of us have answered your question about Ireland having no culture , but you think all we are is Guinness and tayto . I asked you to answer my question above regarding what benefits we've received from having migrants from various parts of the world and you've refused to answer it . I'm not against immigration but this need people on the Left seem to have about multiculturalism is nonsense .

Look at all the problems going on around Europe ATM from taking lots of unskilled migrants from certain countries and the negatives far outweigh the positives , both financially and socially . Politicians across Europe are starting to backtrack regarding immigration , we've seen this with Brexit , Muslim sex gangs in England preying on 1400 girls , rise of right wing parties , Macron released a statement recently regarding about people not integrating , they'd a teacher beheaded only a few weeks ago and Merkel said multiculturalism has been a failure in Germany , half of rapists in Sweden were not born in Sweden , they're also having record highs of gun and grenade incidents . We've seen some nasty scenes aswell over in blanchardstown after George got shot , blocking roads , attacking people in cars and in the blanch centre , people had to barricade themselves into Spar while a black mob outside were kicking the shutters calling people inside white bastaxds.

And we still have politicians and people like yourself and bubblypop who think this vitally important to western society. Why is that ?

Odd that people are only talking about Technology making western culture "superior", whatever that means, while seemingly ignoring the eastern countries like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and the inventions/technological advances they have come up with. I prefer western culture, just not sure it is superior.

The mention of technology was a minor one, whereas a greater emphasis was given to the development of philosophy, moral consciousness, individuality, freedoms, etc... the vast majority of which finds it's foundations within White/Western culture.
    The ideas of superior culture is not too far way from the idea of a superior race.

The idea of western superiority has nothing to do with racial superiority, unless you believe that Black people cannot ever become Irish, or Arabs become American (not simply a nationality, but the assimilation/integration/adoption of that culture).

I do believe that certain cultures have shown themselves to be more successful than others. That's pretty obvious considering the state of certain continents, and the excuse of colonialisation can only be extended so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Cordell wrote: »

I love Douglas Murray

and guess what, he is gay but not progressive LGTB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Odd that people are only talking about Technology making western culture "superior", whatever that means, while seemingly ignoring the eastern countries like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and the inventions/technological advances they have come up with. I prefer western culture, just not sure it is superior. The ideas of superior culture is not too far way from the idea of a superior race.

This is pure madness. How does society organize itself then? We live with a culture, then someone comes along and says your culture is bad, so we must move onto a different culture so we can't be accused of supremacy? Every culture in the world, for the most part, thinks that their culture is best, hence why they live with it. If Europeans are guilty, then the whole world is. On top of that, how do modernists, secularists, view their own values? Isn't the push in the last few years, for hard left wing politics, an attempt to create a culture? Do these rules not apply to them? If they do, then all this woke stuff is simply "not too far way from the idea of a superior race".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Also, the relationship between ideas and race, cultural racism as some have called it, is ironically something that is pushed by genuine white identitarians, and ethno nationalists. It's very interesting that we've gotten to the point where the woke, and their mortal enemies, are making the same arguments.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think that probably all cultures think their culture is superior unless the overall morale of the citizens are actually low- like it seemed to be in communist countries. I prefer western culture to far east culture and definitely middle eastern culture - just not sure it's superior in say making their civilians happier. Like the native American cultures or Amish cultures western countries can have their own sub-cultures with various levels of happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    once again, you didn't answer the question

I have answered your question. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean I didnt reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The first answers you got were actually values-based, and called to the values of individuality, freedom, equality and so on, which you dismissed out of hand without any comment.

I've seen nobody object to multiculturalism on the basis that we simply cannot take one more new Middle-Eastern recipe in the country. I've seen plenty object on the basis that values are part of culture, and they prefer values of freedom, equality and so on to values that restrict women, punish homosexuality, curtail freedoms etc.

If the biggest threat that multiculturalism proposed to Irish society was that we might have to find some way to cope with more varied cuisine and music scenes in a couple of decades, there wouldn't even be a thread about it.

The first were personality traits and it would be an idiot that would assume personality traits are consistent right across the entire population. So I ignored them completly.

It was you who could find no positives for Irish culture and it was this thread that reduced multiculturalism in Ireland to kebab shops and exoticism not me.

But other than that nice flimflam.

I think that probably all cultures think their culture is superior unless the overall morale of the citizens are actually low- like it seemed to be in communist countries.

How would that be? The Soviet Union fell more due to economic reasons than anything else, unable to support the bulky military and provide adequately for it's people. When I went to Moscow twenty years ago, I met people who had just attended a communist rally (over a 100k people attended) in the city, and they were very strong believers in the merits of communism, and that of Russian culture.

The same can be said about China, which only reorganised itself when it finally realised that the communist economic system didn't work enough to be competitive with capitalism, but they retained most of their belief in a modified communist culture, Maoism. As someone who teaches university in China, I can confirm that the general belief in communism remains to this day. Oh there's skeptics, and many people who just keep quiet about their true beliefs, but the vast majority of Chinese people would sign up for the military if China was ever threatened. They've got a belief/loyalty to their nation, and "love" of Han culture that few other nations have.
    I prefer western culture to far east culture and definitely middle eastern culture - just not sure it's superior in say making their civilians happier. Like the native American cultures or Amish cultures western countries can have their own sub-cultures with various levels of happiness.

Whereas I actually prefer South East Asian culture to that of Western culture. All cultures have positives and negatives, along with their periods of successes and failures. While I applaud many aspects of western culture, I've found that there's a grand hypocrisy, and willful ignorance about how and where it's applied. I find Asian culture to have the same hypocrisy, but little expectation for others to buy into it. Just seems more honest to me.. and far more pragmatic.

All the same, Western culture has been far more successful than other cultures over an extended period of time. I suspect that period of success is waning, as the rot grows within it, and societies become increasingly more divided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No, not really, or it's the good kind of multiculturalism, where the cultures share the core values, they complement each other, and they have more in common than they have differences. Let me put it this way: in this "multiplicity of cultures" no american will be beheaded some italian just because they put pineapple on pizza.

Are you really trying to say that beheading is culture?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes. Is part of their culture to defend their religion to the death, and it happened multiple times in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well kildare lad I actually believe my question is fallacious. For the same reasons I said the big gotcha about multiculturalism was fallacious. If you exclude all the positive things from human society food and arts and culture music and sport and science. Write them off as exoticism then really us humans aren't worth a lot.
    What were the positives we discovered are really left for Ireland (Guinness farts and tayto and a middle Eastern religion) ?
    So really I think my question was stupid but I think the question about multiculturalism framed in the same way is stupid too for the exact same reasons.

This is exactly why engaging in debates about Culture A being superior to Culture B is a waste of time. It is irrelevant to the real issue. I don't understand why people engage in it. The indigenous Irish people do not have to prove their right to exist to anyone. It is a losing proposition to even accept the concept that we have to justify our right to exist.

Lets face it, even if the peoples mass migrating into the Irish homeland were smarter, harder working, more dynamic and more successful than the indigenous Irish people it would simply form a stronger argument for the indigenous Irish people to prevent this superior civilization from entering their homeland and displacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

strong disagree. there is more immigration into this country than houses being built. need to either stop the immigration or build more homes

Yes. Is part of their culture to defend their religion to the death, and it happened multiple times in Europe.

Islam is arguably a superior culture in that it has proven ready and able to defeat outside cultures/influences and reassert its own core values time and again. Evolution doesn't reward the kindest or more thoughtful - it rewards those who are most effective.

deise121 wrote: »
    strong disagree. there is more immigration into this country than houses being built. need to either stop the immigration or build more homes

Stop the mass immigration then. Kinder for the environment to build less houses than concrete over most of Leinster building housing estates for vulture funds to buy up and rent to the state to house the next wave of asylum seekers.

Which culture is this ?

deise121 wrote: »

200,000 migrants in the last 6 years , no wonder the rental markets through the roof . Ah sure give all the blow ins a free house or HAP to keep the landlords/ vulture funds happy and let the Irish pay 350- 400,000 grand for a house . What a system . Cuckoo and vulture funds waiting in the wings again praying for another crash . There's a pack of absolute morons running this country . I wouldn't let them run a bath

Sand wrote: »
    Islam is arguably a superior culture in that it has proven ready and able to defeat outside cultures/influences and reassert its own core values time and again. Evolution doesn't reward the kindest or more thoughtful - it rewards those who are most effective.

Lol.

Annasopra wrote: »
    Are you really trying to say that beheading is culture?

These chaps look bent on integrating into a "multiculture"

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭mikethecop

who is SLAM ? and why are they so fond of it ?

Stacey Dooley at a protest in luton about an arrest of a woman whos husband blew themselves up . Isis flags , full bodies veils , hate the west rhetoric . Although not a sign of any woke , blue haired , non binary , welcome all refugee types marching with them .... Strange that .

https://youtu.be/hHvDy_X_hDM

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Sand wrote: »

Wot newspaper you readin, bruv ?

Caliphates have fallen to the sword since your last swig

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stacey Dooley at a protest in luton about an arrest of a woman whos husband blew themselves up . Isis flags , full bodies veils , hate the west rhetoric . Although not a sign of any woke , blue haired , non binary , welcome all refugee types marching with them .... Strange that .

https://youtu.be/hHvDy_X_hDM

Coming to a town in Ireland soon.

mikethecop wrote: »
    who is SLAM ? and why are they so fond of it ?

Maybe someone wasn't good at English and forgot to put an I on the front of it .... I-slam

Yeah right, soon.
    https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1230738/

maxresdefault.jpg

What is interesting about this photo is that you can clearly see where someone has cleared the I from Islam in 2 locations. First the front right, look where the guys fingers are and you`ll see the faded top part of the I, then the sign 'massacre those" etc. There is a white rectangle feature where the I would have been. So someone went and literally drew a white line over the I

It's a bit shocking to see in a European country. They don't come across the type to integrate . That's why in England they live in their own communities where they've their own mosques , schools and shops it's like they hadn't left Pakistan . Multiculturalism ...lol

The Irish birth rate/fertility rate is below replacement
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0519/1222517-ireland-birth-rates-falling/#:~:text=The%20replacement%20rate%20is%202.1,and%20Italy%20because%20of%20Catholicism.

and we are at a point where our defence forces are told not to have children because living costs are high and their wages low.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30870171.html

We have a massive accommodation shortage with rising rents and home ownership rates dropping
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/home-ownership-in-republic-falls-as-renting-levels-soar-1.4433012

So dumping hostile cultures into this mess is not going to be pretty longer term.

• Advertisement

The Irish birth rate/fertility rate is below replacement
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0519/1222517-ireland-birth-rates-falling/#:~:text=The%20replacement%20rate%20is%202.1,and%20Italy%20because%20of%20Catholicism.

and we are at a point where our defence forces are told not to have children because living costs are high and their wages low.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30870171.html

We have a massive accommodation shortage with rising rents and home ownership rates dropping
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/home-ownership-in-republic-falls-as-renting-levels-soar-1.4433012

So dumping hostile cultures into this mess is not going to be pretty longer term.

The same government allowing landlords to own hundreds of properties , the biggest owns 2500 apartments in Dublin .... Disgraceful

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30897316.html

Revenue figures show there are around 3,000 individuals and companies which own over 10 houses or apartments, including 1,000 who own more than 100 properties each.

Landlords with largescale investment property portfolios consisting of over 200 properties are relatively few (Revenue do not provide an exact figure) but the number of properties they own grew by almost 10% in 2018.

Such landlords, which would include real estate investment trusts known as REITs, now own 31,200 housing units compared to 28,600 in 2017. IRES REIT is Ireland’s biggest residential landlord and owns more than 2,500 apartments in Dublin with annual rental income of €36m in 2017.

Advertisement