Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

joe40 wrote: »
    Try being a Niamh or an Orlaith in London.

I have been to london you know ...i DO know.

Yes ..its just as wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

And if people were encouraged to give up their irish identity during those times...i would speak up against that. depsite being told to 'go home'

I would certainly have the 'balls to'.

My point is, my Irish identity is denied on occasion by ignorant Irish people, despite my name, my freckly face, my (ana) cúpla focal, the anti- Irish abuse my family suffered, just because I don't sound the way they think an Irish person should. I'd imagine your Irishness has been similarly denied because of your ethnic/religious background . I've seen people referred to as not really Irish cos they don't drink! It's got nothing to do with not being white. It's about morons who can't cope with 'Irish' meaning different things to what they think. They are a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: It would be nice if we could ground the conversation somewhere in the realm of discussion, rather than in histrionics, straw man arguments and personal comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Ireland is very very white.

Why is this a problem?

Hamachi wrote: »
    No, she isn’t correct. White Irish are only 84% of the population. We already have far more than a dash of spice, yams, pierogi or wherever it is you are having..
    You would you mind not calling people yams and pierogi. Same goes for referring to people as 'spice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You would you mind not calling people yams and pierogi. Same goes for referring to people as 'spice'.

Is 'spud' alright?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Is 'spud' alright?
    For a british person to call me it ..no I would not be happy

It’s a metaphor for cultural diversity. The point is that there is already 16% representation in Ireland. Pretty substantive, right?

Why is this a problem?
    Why is something you want to protect?

Cultural rigidity is the problem
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113867263

You may read my post about it at the above link. If you don't wish to read it then do not.

The point is that there is already 16% representation in Ireland. Pretty substantive, right?

That is not for me to say.

• Advertisement

I haven't passed comment as to whether it's a bad or good thing.

I have simply stated the facts.

Do you think being a white country is a good thing?

A good thing? I don't think of Ethiopia as a "Black country". I think of it as a country. Just as I think of Ireland as a country. That the majority of the population are of a certain color doesn't bother me. After all, I currently live in China. I've lived in a variety of countries where I was a distinct minority... and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

now, perhaps answer my question?

We already have far more than a dash of spice, yams, pierogi or wherever it is you are having..
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Is 'spud' alright?

Mod: The silly epithets add nothing to the discussion. Drop it.

Everyone else - post on the actual topic at hand or don't contribute.

Why is something you want to protect?

Cultural rigidity is the problem
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113867263

You may read my post about it at the above link. If you don't wish to read it then do not.

Because Ireland is fine as is. It’s a relatively cohesive, high trust society that works reasonably well.

Because I want my infant daughter to grow up in this pretty pleasant, easy going society, free of tensions prevalent in some of our more diverse neighboring societies. So yes, for me, Ireland in it’s current incarnation is something that I love and wish to protect.

Because Ireland is fine as is. It’s a relatively cohesive, high trust society that works reasonably well.

Because I want my infant daughter to grow up in this pretty pleasant, easy going society, free of tensions prevalent in some of our more diverse neighboring societies. So yes, for me, Ireland in it’s current incarnation is something that I love and wish to protect.

I am not sure I would agree with you on the trust thing. But i am not sure diversity would solve that either.

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

I don't see Ireland as you do. But we all have different perceptions.

I am not sure one can ' protect ' (not sure i would choose that word) a country from immigration.

Its something that happens whether you like it or not.

You can't really stop it.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: The silly epithets add nothing to the discussion. Drop it.

Everyone else - post on the actual topic at hand or don't contribute.

My apologies. I thought I was being vaguely witty. In retrospect, it was facetious and dumb phraseology.

now, perhaps answer my question?

Which was?

Which was?

Now, that's rude. One Page and you couldn't be bothered to scroll back.
    Ireland is 88% white Irish.
    You keep saying that as if it's a bad thing.

What is the perfect percentage for you?

I am not sure I would agree with you on the trust thing. But i am not sure diversity would solve that either.

I suppose you are entitled to you opinion.

Read Robert Putnam’s research on the impact of diversity on social cohesiveness. Ireland has avoided most of these issues to date. It’s perfectly logical to wish to maintain that.

Indeed. I am entitled to my opinion. Really looking forward to engaging with informed, rational posters again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Do you live in the capital? Dublin isn't very high trust, I'll grant you that. Down the country, especially in actual rural areas, Ireland would be pretty high trust.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Do you live in the capital? Dublin isn't very high trust, I'll grant you that. Down the country, especially in actual rural areas, Ireland would be pretty high trust.

I do yes. Born and bred! :)

I take your point.

But then you might take on board that Dublin isn't high trust. So we might not have the same perception of our country. But we have to take on board yours too.

I think a certain sobriety on trust is part of being a Dubliner tbh.

• Advertisement

I am not sure one can ' protect ' (not sure i would choose that word) a country from immigration.

Its something that happens whether you like it or not.

You can't really stop it.

‘Protect’ is the verb you used in your previous post. I was mirroring your own language or have you conveniently forgotten that?

You’ve heard of borders, immigration control, and skills-based migration presumably? Immigration is something that can be regulated relatively easily, as many of our trading partners in East Asia have discovered and continue to pursue. It just doesn’t fit the narrative that uncontrolled immigration is an inevitable consequence of modernity.

‘Protect’ is the verb you used in your previous post. I was mirroring your own language or have you conveniently forgotten that?

You’ve heard of borders, immigration control, and skills-based migration presumably? Immigration is something that can be regulated relatively easily, as many of our trading partners in East Asia have discovered and continue to pursue. It just doesn’t fit the narrative that uncontrolled immigration is an inevitable consequence of modernity.

It doesn't slow immigration down a bit. Especially during booms.

And especially if you have outward immigration. And lets face it not all of that is because of recessions some young people want to leave.

Many places east Asia have HUGE immigrant populations. But they are from other asian countries.

Ireland is 88% white Irish.

Thought it would be about 10% less than that.

I'd say it's well north of 90% in your neighbourhood :p. Would you welcome an increase that reflects Ireland on the whole if (and it more than likely is) so?

Also, were you trying to get a reaction using "88", or did you find that figure on an instagram post?

TomTomTim wrote: »

Actually, I disagree a little. I have no issues giving neighbors the key to our house when we are away on holidays and vice versa. People also keep an eye on one another’s kids around here. I imagine this is fairly common in many Dublin suburbs.

Obviously it isn’t as high trust as my home town of 8K people. However, it’s not bad for a relatively large city.

Firstly I am sorry that happened to you. Very sorry.

I cannot compare you to me. I would not want to undermine your experience.

No my Irishness in real life isn't denied to me.

Its not the same. I can't speak to that experience nor would I pretend to have it.

I was born here. I have an irish accent.

No one knows anything about my background unless I tell them. Yes i have a diff background to most others here.

BUT ...you can't tell from looking at me ...or listening to me.

So I am 100% accepted as Irish in RL.

And even if i do tell people ..they forget ..

In the MOMENT ...yes or if someone is just obsessed for some reason about remembering it. Then yes it happens.

Yes if i happen to walk into the local nazi meet up with Gemma O Doherty sitting at the table (and that has happened ..its 50% hilarious and 50% unbelievable)

I got bullied at school etc. But also ...i was a weirdo at school...so ...it could be that.

However the abuse your fam suffered ....at one point my fam experienced similar. Thankfully its not happened in a long time. ANd yes THOSE small group of people wouldn't accept me as Irish.

However as time has gone by ....its become more and more ridiculous for them to suggest this.

Yes i sometimes get crap that shouldn't happen.

But its more often i listen to crap being said that i should not hear. In that people don't know not to say it in front of me because I look Irish.

Of course they will say ..i thought you looked slavic or jewish etc. But i don't. I just look whatever.

Mod: ILoveYourVibes - you're welcome to discuss/debate the topic, but this isn't your blog. Please consider this when posting from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Completely depends on how it's handled.

If it's a case of low skilled workers coming in with the effect of keeping down wages for the low paid, then I'm probably not in favour of too much of it.

If its low skilled people who will likely live in poor areas so the government will need give additional funds for schools and all the other services. I'm fine with paying for that but if the government doesn't do it, it's just creating bigger and bigger pockets of poor areas and all the social problems that come with it.

I have absolutely no problem with other cultures in Ireland. I'm fine with Irish culture, history and traditions. I love learning about irish history and traditions. More cultures doesn't dilute Irish culture, it adds to it.

The saddest part of it is when the low paid Irish people and low paid immigrants turn on each other. Instead of the low paid standing together and trying to improve their collective lot, they fight against each other. See BLM vs monuments protectors, see working class Catholics vs working class Protestants in NI and places like Glasgow. See working class Irish vs Multiculturalism in this thread. It's so often the way these things work where the poor divide themselves rather then working together. Needless to say, it suits the other classes of people to have a weak and divided working class - cheap labour.

After a time immigrants look on themselves as more Irish than the Irish themselves. This first happened to the Anglo Irish in the 1500s
    I had a Nigerian student who got very passionate about 1916. He said we bet the British. Didn't know what to say

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: ILoveYourVibes - you're welcome to discuss/debate the topic, but this isn't your blog. Please consider this when posting from here on in.

That Post has been deleted.

It doesn't slow immigration down a bit. Especially during booms.

And especially if you have outward immigration. And lets face it not all of that is because of recessions some young people want to leave.

Many places east Asia have HUGE immigrant populations. But they are from other asian countries.

Immigration controls don’t slow down the pace of migration? Really? You have evidence to support this I presume?

And many of those young people return to Ireland to start their families, because they want their children to grow up in a cohesive society and pass on a sense of Irishness to the next generation. Several of my friends and I have followed this very same template.

I’m incredibly happy that my daughter and future kids, if we are blessed with them, get to grow up here, being immersed in Irish culture, knowing our parents and building continuity with all those generations who went before us. I love this, I celebrate it regardless of what some hysteric on Twitter thinks. It’s wonderful. I hope you discover that sense of belonging some day.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    After a time immigrants look on themselves as more Irish than the Irish themselves. This first happened to the Anglo Irish in the 1500s
    I had a Nigerian student who got very passionate about 1916. He said we eventually won didn't we sir. Didn't know what to say

I have come across this too. :)

I think there is something about the unfairness in Irish history that speaks to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I have come across this too. :)

I think there is something about the unfairness in Irish history that speaks to everyone.

I knew him well enough to say I'm not sure if any of my family were involved in the war of independence but pretty sure yours were not! He laughed but to be fair both Nigeria and Ireland share a common colonial history with Britain.

Advertisement