Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Foreigner bashing on the thread does not equal a claim that the AGS are racist. That was your claim.

Other posters seeking to bash foreigners over violence committed by foreigners is not the same thing. The posters on this thread are not representatives of the AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I did not say that An Garda Siochana are racist.

You havent even got a clue what you are responding to.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've gone through more airports than I care to remember,all journeys beginning and ending in Dublin, but I have never gone through one airport anywhere in the world with out my passport details checked and recorded. I've lived in Countrys where if you don't carry ID, and are stopped by any officialdom, you will go straight to jail until you can prove who you are, and where you come from.And even with ID, you better have a visa as well, and all the "i's" dotted, and the "t's" crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Posting about Irish criminals on this thread would not be suitable if you want a balance .

On immigration see this link .

The migrant population of Ireland is 15.92 in 2015 according to this survey . When the size of population is taken into account Ireland ranks higher than the US , Germany at 14 % and the UK 12.5 % !! We have really come a long way from countries with a longer history of immigration. The net migration was on the rise again after a 2 year decline 2016/17 until covid .

The government now claims to need 60k of largely non skilled workers for the hospitality sector so it’s expected to rise .When is there a limit to this ponzi .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

In Asia you are checked camera and thumb scan and get an exit stamp on your passport all lacking here . This can be done here and it’s still freedom of movement. In the UK when it was the EU camera checks were done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Okay so you have links to Ireland, so when you land into Ireland are they eligible for social welfare benefits. What Is astonishing to me is nearly every time one of our new citizens are making the headlines for crimes they are on a social welfare payment. The amount of immigrants that is in the country at the moment and we are still massively short in all aspects of labour in certain sectors. Not hard to realise what is really happening. No wonder we have no houses and hospitals can't cope. A Government who is out of touch and the most easily accessible social welfare system in Europe has finished this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Do you not think that this is more down to a lack of housing ?

95% of landlord won't or can't take HAP

That puts paid to the age old idea that immigrants are to blame

There is a job shortage as while wages rise, inflation is set keep ahead of it.

Economic...give immigrants work permits, stop the job shortages, they get their dignity back and the exchequer gets tax funds

Wages are already stagnant

So your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Where are immigrants staying.

100% Lack of housing in this country so why keep the doors open to all.

What about the ones who don't want to work. Benefits in this country are more appealing than a low paid job.

• Advertisement

They don't get benefits unless they fulfill habitual residency requirements

Most are on 20 quid a week in a gritty centre

I refer above to my post on habitual residency:)

What happened to the 60k workers before covid there was no job shortage then . They must be better off on welfare so bring in more migrants . How long can this continue hope that is clear enough for you .The work a few years and go on welfare scheme it’s nothing new really .Then those cash jobs are replaced by more illegals .

Cost of living rise approx 10% (CSO)

Economics of the pandemic meant that with businesses closing it was impossible to pay a wage so while rent and utilities went up, wages remained stagnant and only a small increase came in the min wage.

The last daft.ie quarterly report is interesting

When you argue that immigrants are taking up the jobs, there is no real race to the bottom here

What is required is the increase to a living wage as proposed by FORSA and other lobby groups and they are correct.

Would you rather the Irish thus took the jobs at 10.50 an hour in a housing crisis or should the state facilitate more of those in poverty by building more affordable housing and raising the standard of living in a liveable wage?

In your answer try to be cognisant that this is no grey area so outline a position where those at thr bottom rung of the ladder do well.

Come on.... you know they have a problem with certain types of people

"They" being the AGS. Yes? no? Perhaps you could have expanded on the statement, to show that I was incorrect in my assumption about your post?

Although considering that the original link was about the Gardai encouraging minorities to join...

Fine. Usual habit of jumping in to make an accusation and deflecting when confronted. I'll leave it at that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You can be a different ethnicity (which the Gardai are looking for) and still be Irish, you racist!!! Do you think all Irish are white with red hair and freckles??

Am I doing this right??

Do you have a link to that 60,000 more for the hospitality sector? Be interested to read it.

These figures are absolutely off the charts and wouldn't be accepted in almost every other country in the world.

They really are turning Ireland into a giant Industrial estate for businesses to enrich themselves.

Not my problem you misunderstood my post. You asked for evidence that people in this thread dont like certain types of people. I provided your statement about foreigner bashing as evidence. I don't know why you felt I needed to be confronted when you even said yourself that a lot of the thread was foreigner bashing and I don't why you asked for evidence when you provided it yourself.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Not my problem you misunderstood my post. You asked for evidence that people in this thread dont like certain types of people.

haha... you're accusing me of misunderstanding your post, when you've deliberately twisted mine? Hilarious. I've laid it out for you, and you're still refusing to own up.

The mistress of deflection. Made my day.. I'm in the absolute giggles at how childish the attitude is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

How this diverse Gardai thing will work? For example, I'm foreign, and if I need a Garda they will send me a foreign one because this will make me feel better and more represented? I mean how, will they search one that has the same ethnicity as me, or I will end up conversing with another foreigner Garda in a language that is foreign to both of us? And this will help me how?

Will they account that there are some repressed feelings between some ethnicities and others? There's a lot of repressed feelings between certain ethnicities even when they come from the same country. Or will they be sending an Indian Garda to deal with a Pakistani person?

This is all made up nonsense. Make the process fair and diversity will follow naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ah Cordell, did you not get the memo? All of that stuff has and will happen in other countries, but Ireland only gets the best of the best immigrants, so we'll dodge all of that and all of the other stuff happening across the EU at the moment. There is no specific reason why, but that's what we are constantly told.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Having gardai of different backgrounds can only help and improve the force.

Yes

You misunderstood my post. You have laid nothing out so not sure what you are on about.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

When George *trigger warning* got his justice they said there's not enough black Gardai. What will enough mean, enough like 1% to be representative, or enough as in whenever there is a situation that requires armed Gardai they should have enough black armed Gardai available to be sent if black persons are involved?

And no, different background is not inherently good. You either are a good fit for Garda, or you are not, the background is irrelevant.

There are many EE people in the country with limited english for example. I come across some myself in my line of work. I'm sure there are some EE people who would be a good fit for the guards and some first gen EE people who speak EE languages who would be good fits. I don't see why that is an issue since EE people with limited English are going to continue to be in the country at a fairly high number.

Post edited by MarkEadie on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think of all the costs involved with these industies. But the looney left no doubt claim the wasteful expenditure is good for the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see another non national is up in court today for a sexual assault last November in a field while a lady was walking her dog.

Am I right that’s 4 non nationals in the last few weeks now?

Doctors and architects ay.

What is this nonsense?

the process is completely fair. All they are doing is encouraging other ethnicities to join.

Without the rubbish you made up about different guards being sent to different people, what do you see is a problem about encouraging people to join AGS?

• Advertisement

Makes no sense to me. If we're supposed to be looking to evolve into an equal society where race doesn't matter, why is there so much interest in making race an important distinction between people? All these demands for diversity, simply reinforce that people are different, and glorifies in those differences... it's almost as if these people don't understand how racism comes about.

The gas thing is that when people wear a uniform such as the Gardai, isn't it that uniform that is important (and the authority they represent)? Not the skin colour or ethnic background of the person wearing the uniform.

I can understand to get more migrant groups involved in our official services, but... do it for the right reasons. Not to reinforce differences.

Advertisement