Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Only open 7 months...421 rooms

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/holiday-inn-at-dublin-airport-shuts-after-seven-months-to-become-asylum-centre-1.4808471?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Ftransport-and-tourism%2Fholiday-inn-at-dublin-airport-shuts-after-seven-months-to-become-asylum-centre-1.4808471&fbclid=IwAR0Zj8BudSzM0oCKU14E1o4bmQeKRcahJeQY9KELn_mIzHoY0NmExSXKYMY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Any first time buyers better have deep pockets to outbid the government! E450 million budget no less. The sooner we go bang and get the IMF back in to run the show the better! -

Minister O’Gorman told the Irish Sun that his Department has already started a major house-buying and building spree that can be backed up by further funds from the Department of Public Expenditure if more cash is needed due to ­rising gaff prices.

Asked whether his Department’s house buying power will make it harder for people looking to buy a home in an already pressurised market, the Dublin TD could not guarantee that they are not going up against regular buyers.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/8411837/inside-end-direct-provision-plan-roderic-ogorman/

Build it and they will come Roderick! -ALMOST 3,000 asylum seekers have arrived in Ireland in the last three months putting the current system under pressure,

https://www.thesun.ie/news/8411837/inside-end-direct-provision-plan-roderic-ogorman/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

True, mass immigration benefits the upper middles class & ruling class, it devastates the working class.

Multiculturalism however is fine, Islam, Judaism, Asians etc, but the biggest cultural clash in Ireland is between Loyalists & Nationalists.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's a practical plan to replace DP with something better, or whether they're just going to allow them full access on arrival...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The NGO endgame will be full access on arrival and an end to DP. That's what will be pushed.

O'Gorman's "Fantasy" will move from 4 months here to get a house/apartment to immediate access to housing on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Absolute craziness...stick a fork in Ireland...she's done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is he stupid or does he actively hate people trying to buy a house?

2500 to rent the only 3 bed semi available in Balbriggan, the game is up for an ordinary couple trying to make their way in Ireland.

It'll represent an excellent rental opportunity for Rodericks department no doubt! Just need a few thousand more of em.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/balbriggan-dublin#3707695

€2,500 per month

Castleland Park Way, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

3 Bed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I dont visit this board often but ya i couldnt help reading the last few pages and then i must go back to read more pages - jesus chr*st the posts are blatantly blaming on foreigners and then some posts can turn around and say "no we are not blah blah". It is a sight to watch.

bubblypop (and those with rational voices) you are alright - thought you might need a reality check here ha.

And then ya it is mental (seriously) that i first heard of blaming foreigners on the housing issue. Christ, do people see how much exactly these 'foreigners/emigrants/immigrants' (and oh they are not 'expat' just because) need to pay for the insane rent? Why don't they just leave - what exactly so special about ireland that 'too many' 'foreigners/emigrants/immigrants' must come and stay here? That's some special snowflakes mindset with serious delusion and maybe some xenophobia stuff going on there?

Because after all, we are a tiny nation with some small problem in the end of day - can people even try to imagine the (insane) numbers that bigger countries are dealing with? The government simply needs to do something (anything) to resolve a problem just like every other country out there. But of course, the raging corruption is ok but lets blame the "foreigners" (again, not "expat").

OT:

"Multiculturism" disappeared from media in the recent 5+years iirc - it doesn't work and now it is replaced things like diversity/inclusivity etc. Regardless, long story short, imho and from what i have seen, Ireland has a long way to go to get that "Multiculturism"/diversity/inclusivity - just look around and you will see...it is a small country without much of diversities (physically). People are (always have been) friendly sure, but ya when it comes to appreciating and understanding the "foreigners/foreign cultures"? Maybe another 20/30 years and then ya maybe...

• Advertisement

I do not blame the foreigners at all, I blame policies by Irish politicians

bubblypop (and those with rational voices) you are alright - thought you might need a reality check here ha.

The fact that you consider Bubbly to be a rational voice is rather suggestive considering the sheer amount of deflection contained within his posts.

TBH It really makes me wonder how much of the thread you've actually read.

And then ya it is mental (seriously) that i first heard of blaming foreigners on the housing issue. Christ, do people see how much exactly these 'foreigners/emigrants/immigrants' (and oh they are not 'expat' just because) need to pay for the insane rent? Why don't they just leave - what exactly so special about ireland that 'too many' 'foreigners/emigrants/immigrants' must come and stay here? That's some special snowflakes mindset with serious delusion and maybe some xenophobia stuff going on there?

Except, you haven't sought to counter the logic used by posters on the thread. I didn't agree with them originally (I actually considered immigrants as being unrelated to the problem), but have since been convinced that the arguments have some merit. Unless you're dismissing the argument out of hand, and unwilling to consider the rationale involved, that is.

Also, there's been very little blaming of foreigners... as people. There's been a lot of blaming towards the policies that bring foreigners here, the NGOs involved, etc. The only real consideration regarding foreigners themselves is their impact on society, and the economic considerations of an increasing population of low skilled workers.

Again, you haven't sought to counter what was said, and have just presented a very vague/general sort of judgment.

Because after all, we are a tiny nation with some small problem in the end of day - can people even try to imagine the (insane) numbers that bigger countries are dealing with? The government simply needs to do something (anything) to resolve a problem just like every other country out there. But of course, the raging corruption is ok but lets blame the "foreigners" (again, not "expat").

Insane numbers? Well.. I've lived 13 years in China, does that count? Many of the posters here have travelled and lived abroad.

Again, I'm wondering just how much of the thread you have read if you think posters are blaming "foreigners" and ignoring the corruption, or the ineptitude of our politicians/civil servants. There's been little in the way of foreigner bashing (except for period about violence). Most of the criticisms relate to the more macro considerations of immigration rather than foreigners. In fact, most posters are openly supportive towards the immigration who are skilled/educated, and who are gainfully employed.

"Multiculturism" disappeared from media in the recent 5+years iirc - it doesn't work and now it is replaced things like diversity/inclusivity etc. Regardless, long story short, imho and from what i have seen, Ireland has a long way to go to get that "Multiculturism"/diversity/inclusivity - just look around and you will see...it is a small country without much of diversities (physically). People are (always have been) friendly sure, but ya when it comes to appreciating and understanding the "foreigners/foreign cultures"? Maybe another 20/30 years and then ya maybe...

Well, over 10% of our population is foreign born. All you need to do is walk around Galway or Dublin, and you'll encounter plenty of diversity in terms of ethnicity or nationalities, in addition to the numbers coming here for tourism. Ireland has a reasonably diverse population in line with other northern European nations... and considering that many Irish people have lived/worked in the UK, OZ, or the US, they've been exposed to a diverse number of people themselves. So.. no, I wouldn't agree with you.

Multiculturalism is no different from diversity/inclusivity etc. Different words for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We don't have enough available houses to house the 5.1m population in the Irish state whom all require a roof over their head. Couple that with an increasing amount of marital and relationship breakdowns, we're now requiring two housing units for a sizable amount of families.

We don't have enough hospital capacity to cater for the 5.1m population in the Irish state, most of whom will require treatment(s) at various stages of their lives now and over the coming decades.

We don't have enough healthcare supports capacity to cater for more people who desperately require these services, many who will end up in point 2 above if they cannot be catered for.

We don't have enough educational capacity to cater for the children that compose a sizable proportion of the 5.1m population in the Irish state. Our current policy is to sell educational capacity at third level to overseas students.

We cannot afford the welfare costs to cover the percentage of the the 5.1m population in the Irish state who don't want to work and will not work.

We cannot afford the welfare supports to support the percentage of the 5.1m population in the Irish state working poor and incoming inflation is going to severely test that capacity.

We have a huge prison capacity issue that sees hardened and repeat offenders go through a revolving door and thus make our streets more and more unsafe. Though the free legal aid train manages to get handsomely rewarded for their 'endeavours'.

Our government are a light touch on proper taxation for insanely wealthy individuals and corporations, they'd give the best deal to any person/corporation that is NOT Irish.

Our government have actively worked against the Irish state stripping it of any meaningful industry and placed us totally at the mercy of international markets, investors and speculators.

Our government will continue to exacerbate all the above issues by continuing to adopt an open borders policy, further destruction of indigenous industry and agriculture through climate change policies, continued light touch taxation for the mega-wealthy.

Our government and it's policies are the problem.

A half a billion euros to provide asylum seekers with their own houses and we are on target for about 10,000 to arrive this year.

Unreal...

Asked whether his Department’s house buying power will make it harder for people looking to buy a home in an already pressurised market, the Dublin TD could not guarantee that they are not going up against regular buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And not one journalist will grill O'Gorman on this. Or grill anyone in Government on it.

"These asylum seekers will move into new homes and will be ­supported by an independent allowance that will be the same level as standard social welfare payments."

This is the first I've heard of this, they are also going to get same level standard social welfare payments???

We will be looking at tens of thousands arriving every year the way they are going.

And who will the tens of thousands who arrive be voting for in the proceeding elections? The Democrats in America have been at this shyte for decades now and [sarcasm] take a look at the present-day conditions of the cities these Democrats preside over and the stunning diversity they encouraged. What a bright utopian future. [/sarcasm]

We don't have many actual journalists in Ireland, probably could count them on one hand the few we do have. Any proper journalist never gets within an asses roar of questioning government policy.

Sinn Fein, the sense of entitlement will be strong and they will want more and more.

• Advertisement

Which is why I can't warm to this party. They have a few things right, but their "everyone in, Brits out" open borders approach is nauseating for what they traditionally sold themselves as a Nationalist Party.

Not just SF. Most immigrants won't share the baggage of knowing what FF and others are like, and will vote for them, because simply put, all the political parties are behind multiculturalism and immigration.

We don't have any realistic options.. politically speaking all our political parties are content to sacrifice the future of Irish people, just so that they can say we live in a diverse nation, and that we support everyone who is in need (regardless of whether they're actually in need.)

God forbid, that any Irish person might be in need, because they'll come second or third place, with the Irish middle class coming fourth or fifth.

I have never been more disenchanted with Irish politics, all scrambling for Twitter likes and kudos instead of taking decisions that might in the long run help people

A link to 10,000 asylum seekers into this country in one year? Or else you're just rabble rousing

And.where do you live?

do you rent or Do you own your own house?

I only went through 5-6 pages back - and yes there is a literally circle blaming 'foreigners' and then a few get "ganged" up.

You lived in China for more than a decade....that any place/town in China is bigger than Ireland, so presumably you are the definition of 'well travelled' - and then near the end of your post you mentioned Dublin/Galway is plenty at "diversity in terms of ethnicity or nationalities". I am truly sorry here, I stand on all my points, and I think it is meaningless for us to continue this conversation (if there is one to begin with).

And all I said there are meant to be general, because I am not here to cause a fuss/stir or judge. I simply voiced my opinion and mainly to give posters like bubblypop a pat on shoulder on "you are alright". I don't know him/her at all nor I care to look up any post history etc - it doesn't matter does it - I only went back a few pages back that's all.

Today I actually learned that it is just not the government being incompetent - if there are more people out there blaming on foreigners on the fucked up housing crisis we are having, then ya there is no hope - what else do people blame on 'foreigners'? Is a mini brexit situation here aha.

Yes in short, Ireland is owned by corporates - it is intended that way and it is well known, for the worse or better since around 2000.

And you know what, if the politicians could do a list of key points like you did and start to work from that - maybe we have some hope to finally resolve some issues. But sadly we all know the reality that the elites are too busy on getting rich/fat and literally sh!t on the people all these years.

Everything you said there - nothing is sustainable and yet the bubble is getting bigger - it will explode at some point and then people will leave - rinse and repeat. The population/foreigner/refugees/housing problems etc are mostly symptoms - people need to face and deal with the cause. There is no proper planning or visions from the leaders of the country - what do people expect? The problems will magically resolve by themselves?

So ya, we shall eradicate half the population - that will solve all the problems surely...

We do have enough of all those things you claim we don't.

we just have government that don't govern right.

nothing to do with people from other countries and everything to do with our own government

You lived in China for more than a decade....that any place/town in China is bigger than Ireland, so presumably you are the definition of 'well travelled' -

The city I lived in, Xi'an, has roughly 12 million people, so yeah. As for well travelled that's a different scenario, but as I've travelled in Asia, Africa, Russia etc, I'd be pretty good on that score.

and then near the end of your post you mentioned Dublin/Galway is plenty at "diversity in terms of ethnicity or nationalities". I am truly sorry here, I stand on all my points, and I think it is meaningless for us to continue this conversation (if there is one to begin with)

haha.. you're giving up discussing this already? Wow.. I guess you're not interested in a discussion, and more interested in simply declaring your opinions.

Walk around my midlands town, and you'll see plenty of Black people and Eastern Europeans, along with a sizable population of Indians. The college attracts a load of Chinese each year too, many of whom have settled there. That's a town with about 20k people. And then if I wander around Galway or Dublin, I see the same kind of representation... which in all fairness would be representative of most countries outside of Europe. Considering Ireland is such a small nation, I'd say the demographic shift of foreign born people here is rather strong. It's not like the UK, but few countries are... and we're well behind the immigration curve on that score. Give it time.. it'll happen here too. Unfortunately, for the same reasons, and by following similar policies.

And all I said there are meant to be general, because I am not here to cause a fuss/stir or judge. I simply voiced my opinion and mainly to give posters like bubblypop a pat on shoulder on "you are alright". I don't know him/her at all nor I care to look up any post history etc - it doesn't matter does it - I only went back a few pages back that's all.

Without being specific, the posters involved can't engage with you, and defend their statements. That's a core part of any discussion. Without being specific with your points, you're not giving people any real opportunity to treat your opinions with any kind of consideration. You really think you're the first poster to sweep into the thread, throw out generalised judgments, and sweep out again when confronted?

Today I actually learned that it is just not the government being incompetent - if there are actually of people blaming on foreigners on the fucked up housing crisis we are having, then ya there is no hope - what else do people blame on 'foreigners'? Is a mini brexit situation here aha.

You seem to believe that posters are blaming "foreigners" exclusively for the housing crisis. They're not. They're saying that they contribute to it.. and they're not wrong. The need for the government to provide social housing to refugees, Asylum seekers, etc, does cut into what's available for the market.

The difference between their posts and yours is that they acknowledge other considerations being involved. You've decided the thread of full of people blaming foreigners. It's not. It's full of remarks about the government, the range of political parties, the civil service, and yes, immigration (rather than "foreigners").

As for the mini brexit comment, you're really showing your ignorance of the thread... and I'm convinced now that you haven't considered the arguments that have gone on here within the thread. There are more than two sides to this discussion. There's many different opinions on the overall topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Good post. A real nightmare for the regular Gemma O Doherty supporters here who think they are somehow convincing people that everything is the fault of foreigners and don't seem to grasp how they come across to the average reader who stumbles across the thread. Totally agree about the government also. I don't know the figures but I imagine a lot of people in the government are also landlords. That's a conflict of interest when it comes to resolving the housing crisis.

Advertisement