Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

There is some demand for the jobs among local people... Just as there were jobs in the gutting of fish, or any number of similar jobs which don't require much skill, but also don't have much in the way of a profit for the people involved. I really have no idea why you're objecting to what I said, since what I said, was suitable to the examples I gave. ie. work that becomes less visible due to increases in the minimum wage. It's not that the work disappears completely.

Al jobs require some sort of skill and anyone who does any job should be given respect and fair decent living wage.

The turf work didnt become less because of the minimum wage it became less because the EU has laws on Turf ie Banning and cutting down.

For those of you who want immigration, how do you propose keeping the dangerous migrants out? The terrorists, violent criminals etc?

You have to allow some immigration at the moment because there are jobs that Irish people are not qualified to do or because the ones that are qualified have gone themselves on to another country.

You could argue for a fairer education sytem should be in place and then such jobs can be filled by irish people.
    For keeping dangerous migrants out, The terrorists and violent criminals is another matter, we have all these ourselves born and bred in ireland already.

If you want full control of the borders then your talking about leaving the EU. Immigration is not perfect i agree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mick087 wrote: »
    If you want full control of the borders then your talking about leaving the EU. Immigration is not perfect i agree.
    I have no issue with inward EU migration. I do have an issue with illegal and non refugee migration from non EU regions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Al jobs require some sort of skill and anyone who does any job should be given respect and fair decent living wage.

The turf work didnt become less because of the minimum wage it became less because the EU has laws on Turf ie Banning and cutting down.

You're arguing with yourself, introducing your own problems to resolve.... And... not really paying attention to what I wrote with regards to both the original post, and my responses.

Utterly bizarre.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have no issue with inward EU migration. I do have an issue with illegal and non refugee migration from non EU regions.

You've said it a dozen times throughout the thread (even a page or two back), as have others... but it keeps being ignored. As does most of what we've discussed.

People just want to argue the same points repeatedly. A broken record of objections.

• Advertisement

You're arguing with yourself, introducing your own problems to resolve.... And... not really paying attention to what I wrote with regards to both the original post, and my responses.

Utterly bizarre.

I did not comment on your post, you commemed on one of my posts i made to another forum member. I then in turn replied to your comment you made to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I agree with you there, but in fairness I haven't heard many people in favour of illegal and non refugee immigration from non EU countries.

My own view is multi culturalism can be a benefit, but must be in an economically viable way. I would welcome people from other cultures with the skills and work ethic to benefit our country.

Different Religiouseligious views and practices are fine but we must always ensure the primacy of Irish law.

This does present problems with racism and integration which need to be resolved. That is an ongoing process.
    I think our education system especially at primary level is doing good work in that regard.

I live in the main town of a rural county, and there are plenty of non nationals that my children mix with at school. This is overall a positive thing.

When my wee lad was in first class he told me about a new boy in his class called Abdul. He told me Abdul wasn't from around here. So I asked where was Abdul from and he told me Abdul was from Limerick. That innocence doesn't last.

I dont think we have as much a problem with this than the rest of the EU and UK would have.

I suspect our problem with illegals is low compared to the rest of The EU and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I suspect our problem with illegals is low compared to the rest of The EU and UK.

We have a massive problem. From my understanding, we deport very few of the many who get rejected from the asylum process, which is essentially thousands of people.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    We have a massive problem. From my understanding, we deport very few of the many who get rejected from the asylum process, which is essentially thousands of people.

Really i take your word for it, i look into this to confirm it is something that is a massive problem. I dont really hear to much about the illegal situation in Ireland its always EU countries and the UK.

• Advertisement

I did not comment on your post, you commemed on one of my posts i made to another forum member. I then in turn replied to your comment you made to me.

Original post. My original post to you. Duh. Good lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I see Dublin live are up in arms because someone spray painted "were have all the Irish gone?" on some hoarding in Dublin City... Labelled them as "absolute scumbags"

Thing is its true, I had to go into the city centre for a minor operation recently, had to bring my dad in because of the anesthetic so he was sitting on a bench outside people watching whilst waiting for me, he hadn't been in the city in years, first thing he says to me "you'd be hard pushed to find an Irish person in this city anymore."

Original post. My original post to you. Duh. Good lord.

Some basic common manners seems to be missing.
    I admit maybe i got mixed up in my jumpers but its there is no excuse for Duh.
    I can now well imagine the respect you would show workers on the minimum wage if this is your behaviour towards another on a forum.

Some basic common manners seems to be missing.
    I admit maybe i got mixed up in my jumpers but its there is no excuse for Duh.
    I can now well imagine the respect you would show workers on the minimum wage if this is your behaviour towards another on a forum.

haha. you think my reaction to your posts suggests how I would react to minimum wage earners? Hilarious. No, truly. I'm in the absolute giggles that you would even make such a suggestion.

As for there being no excuse, you misinterpreted my posts, and accused me of misunderstanding yours.. and you accused me of not knowing what I was talking about... so... common manners? yeah. look to your own behavior first.

haha. you think my reaction to your posts suggests how I would react to minimum wage earners? Hilarious. No, truly. I'm in the absolute giggles that you would even make such a suggestion.

As for there being no excuse, you misinterpreted my posts, and accused me of misunderstanding yours.. and you accused me of not knowing what I was talking about... so... common manners? yeah. look to your own behavior first.

Im suggesting nothing im stating by your posts.

No excuse, rubbish mistakes are made by everyone. Again your proving how you would treat people.

Im suggesting nothing im stating by your posts.

No excuse, rubbish mistakes are made by everyone. Again your proving how you would treat people.

:D

Enough said.

:D

Enough said.

I totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

joe40 wrote: »
    My own view is multi culturalism can be a benefit, but must be in an economically viable way. I would welcome people from other cultures with the skills and work ethic to benefit our country.

There is three problems with that attitude:

1 - Ireland is the only homeland the Irish people have. Its a country, not a football team or a corporation trying to recruit the best staff. Multiculturalism is never a benefit.

2 - Similar attitudes (hardworking immigrants, benefits to the country etc) were pursued throughout Europe and the USA. Look where they are now with race riots and constant ethnic conflict. We have to learn from others mistakes, not repeat them.

3 - Even if all non-EU immigrants were smart, hardworking and ambitious you are simultaneously denying their talents to their own homelands (which invested to produce them) and denying Irish people the opportunity to take those roles that were opened. EU corporations operate behind trade barriers and regulations which protect them from cheap competition, but Irish workers have to complete tooth and claw with the third world? That is a rigged system.

Sand wrote: »
    There is three problems with that attitude:

1 - Ireland is the only homeland the Irish people have. Its a country, not a football team or a corporation trying to recruit the best staff. Multiculturalism is never a benefit.

2 - Similar attitudes (hardworking immigrants, benefits to the country etc) were pursued throughout Europe and the USA. Look where they are now with race riots and constant ethnic conflict. We have to learn from others mistakes, not repeat them.

3 - Even if all non-EU immigrants were smart, hardworking and ambitious you are simultaneously denying their talents to their own homelands (which invested to produce them) and denying Irish people the opportunity to take those roles that were opened. EU corporations operate behind trade barriers and regulations which protect them from cheap competition, but Irish workers have to complete tooth and claw with the third world? That is a rigged system.

So presumably you're equally opposed to Irish people emmigrating to other countries.

Taking over the homeland of another people

Irish people causing racial tensions in other countries

Irish students not staying in Ireland thereby depriving Ireland of their skills and Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Superb points Sand, well made.

When the 'left' and mega corporations team up to push this open borders philosphy, you know it's a con job. No question.

The old school left would have had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

So presumably you're equally opposed to Irish people emmigrating to other countries.

Taking over the homeland of another people

Irish people causing racial tensions in other countries

Irish students not staying in Ireland thereby depriving Ireland of their skills and Education.

The migration policies of non-EU countries is the primary concern of those countries. But I would be consistent if it was my concern.

The migration policies of non-EU countries is the primary concern of those countries. But I would be consistent if it was my concern.

So a country like Australia should not allow Irish immigrants.

So a country like Australia should not allow Irish emmigrants.
    What Australians emmigrating to Ireland.

That is up to Australians to determine. It's not my concern. I honestly don't care if Irish people cant emigrate to Australia.

I'd note that the Irish and Australians are both European ethnic groups, so multiculturalism wont endure past the first generation. Third at worst. So the reference to Australia simply isnt relevant to a discussion about multiculturalism where non-European groups cant/wont assimilate with European groups in a generation or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Taking over the homeland of another people ????
    When and where have the Irish taken over the homeland of another people?

Irish people causing racial tensions in other countries ????
    Again when and where?

That's one valid point all right. But we can and have been managing for a long time now like this, much better in fact than poorer non-EU Country's can do when the cream of their educated people leave...

jmreire wrote: »
    That's one valid point all right. But we can and have been managing for a long time now like this, much better in fact than poorer non-EU Country's can do when the cream of their educated people leave...

The "taking over the homeland point" was in relation to the posters assertion that immigrants here take over our homeland.
    I don't believe Irish people do take over another countries homeland when they emmigrate.

The "taking over the homeland point" was in relation to the posters assertion that immigrants here take over our homeland.
    I don't believe Irish people do take over another countries homeland when they emmigrate.

Can you quote that assertion?

That is up to Australians to determine. It's not my concern. I honestly don't care if Irish people cant emigrate to Australia.

I'd note that the Irish and Australians are both European ethnic groups, so multiculturalism wont endure past the first generation. Third at worst. So the reference to Australia simply isnt relevant to a discussion about multiculturalism where non-European groups cant/wont assimilate with European groups in a generation or two.

At least you're honest, if I have taken you up correctly.

If immigrants are white European that is fine but no other ethnicities. So Indian software engineer, or Nigerian Doctor or Chinese chef would all be unwelcome.
    Or a third generation UK Muslim for that matter, although there is a common travel area between UK and Ireland.

Is that your position? that is a genuine question.

Can you quote that assertion?

"Ireland is the only homeland the Irish people have"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well, thats the way it read anyway, whether you meant it or not... But no matter. Of course when people from a different race / culture reach a certain percentage of the host Country they emigrate to, they will cause change. Currently, 17% of our population is "New Irish". This has already happened in other Country's, who have been accepting Immigrants longer than us. And the higher that % goes, the more change it will bring, and that's for sure. Read ( google ) a few articles about the effects of immigration on host Country's, and see what you think then,

• Advertisement

"Ireland is the only homeland the Irish people have"

So, you cant.

Advertisement