Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Code for - well its ok cause they're not Muslims

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

If everyone had your attitude Putin would take over all of Europe, thankfully they don't.

Your opinion of me is hugely important to me bubbly- keep the insults coming if it's all u got!

I don't care whether you care about my opinion of you, I don't insult people in general. I think your attitude to people facing death is horrible.

did you not say you are from eastern Europe somewhere?

Having interviewed victims of war crimes, I have no issue with anyone escaping from war. Horrible situation to be in. I would never judge anyone trying to leave a near certain death, most people would agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Then we should never expect these countries to be free from Tyranny. They have no character and will always be slaves.

The Ukranians will fight and die so as not to be enslaved. They are bravely taking on a tooled up Russian army that will kill thousands of them. Old men and women are willing to fight and die against this onslaught.

The Afghans, with access to military equipment and training that the Ukrainians could only dream of accessing, dropped their weapons in the face of a bunch of half-assed guys in Hiace vans. Ran away with their tails between their legs. No character at all.

• Advertisement

Really?

What Afghan people did that? The doctors, nurses, judges, schoolteachers, those working in NGOs , those that worked for the government? Those that owned banks, community welfare jobs?

Which of those Afghanis had access or training in the military? Did you expect ordinary people, living ordinary lives, to take up a gun and shoot someone?

Would you expect your teenage daughter to go to war against an extremist militant group? What the **** do you expect normal people to do?

Do you have any idea who the Afghani refugees are? They are fleeing from a tyrannical militant government who wish to kill anyone that they believe lived a western style life, or for any western organisations. Are you for real that you think Afghanis should stay there, when they have taliban hunting for them, torturing them and killing them? Are you actually serious?

And just fyi, men aged between 18 and 65 or thereabouts, are banned from leaving the Ukraine. How would you feel if it happened in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

majority of refugees will go where they best feel their needs and personal expectations will be met. It’s not ‘just’ a priority of safety and wellbeing..

people come here from Nigeria… 5100 kilometers away….They’ll need a minimum of one change of flight And overfly multiple safe countries to get here…land for a flight change in one too, if it was a case of get out of Nigeria to… ‘nearest safe country’…it’s not Ireland they are coming…Refugees from Pakistan, Zimbabwe the same…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

All welcome. We travelled for thousands of miles for a different life.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy to help genuine people fleeing war.

Will happily put up a small family if need be too If comes to that as we have the room. I hope it does not come to that for those people though.

Now is a time to rid of bogus claims so we can help real refugees

I’m talking about the thousands and thousands of military trained men in Afghanistan, as well you know. And yes, at least some ordinary people there could have taken up arms. Have you not seen Ukraine where that is happening? Where ordinary people are making Molotovs to use against tanks and APCs? Where young and old women are learning how to use AK-47’s?

Young men of fighting age should have stayed to fight against the Taliban. They had the numbers, the armed forces and the weapons to do so. But they ran.

And if it happened here? We don’t have access to arms that the Afghans had. But if we did, I’d hope Irish people would stand up and fight against an aggressor. My grandfather fought to free Ireland, and I would do the same if it came down to it. I’d rather die, than be a slave of an invading army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I generally don't interact with you, but this is nonsense. The Taliban has about 60/75,000 fighters in Afghanistan according to western intelligence agencies. Afghanistan has a population of 37 million. If they weren't cowards they'd absolutely destroy the Taliban. In our own recent history, ordinary people, living ordinary lives took up arms to drive an occupying force out.

Horrible attitude. I'm not sure why you would expect ordinary people, living their lives with their families to suddenly turn to violence. most parents want what is best for their children, most people would think getting them out of that situation would be best.

The Taliban are actively searching for those people who worked for the previous government, military, international organisations, were schoolteachers etc etc. Why are they looking for them? Maybe they want to give them a medal........

No-one doing the best for their family is a coward.

Our recent history? The PIRA was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's because there's no philosophy taught in Irish schools. Short-term thinking from one angle with no consideration of the outcome.

Maybe if some of the people the Taliban are now hunting had picked up a gun before they rolled into Kabul unhindered they wouldn't have to go on the run. Crazy stuff I know bubbly!

If I was a yank or Brit whos son was killed over there fighting the Taliban it'd be some waste after seeing the Afghans army not lasting a wet week after the yanks withdrew. Pathetic from them n tons of gear left by the yanks for them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Ah the classic "I saw a black person once so I must not be racist, I just don't want any living anywhere near me" argument.

That has got to be one of the most retarded statements I've seen on this thread.

Go on. Quote me.. any of my posts where I've said such a thing. Guess what? You won't find it. Why? Because I don't believe any such thing, nor have I championed any such belief in others.

You're speaking out of ignorance just to score some imaginary virtue gesturing points.

Oh... and I notice that, once again, you didn't seek to counter anything I've stated, instead, deflecting to allegations of racism...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

lol how many of the people complaining about migrants on the thread are actually eastern european migrants themselves? Do they not realize that they are not wanted in Ireland by the people they are trying to unite with to complain about migrants? It's quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yup it's a shame the number of scam artists on their second and more appeals mean we don't have more room to accommodate people genuinely fleeing for their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

No one on this thread has any complaints with genuine migrants.

• Advertisement

According to some in this thread, it would seem that "genuine migrants" are only those with the right skin colour and not muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

According to some on this thread every migrant is a genuine migrant and being against non genuine migrants is a chance to label someone racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

And if you ask me it's fine to give preference to european war refugees that you know for sure they come from a war zone over non europeans with questionable origin and motives.

Diversity of oppinions it's good, right?

Not only that they want to hand out keys to their own pad to every asylum seeker after 4 months of arriving and also give them full welfare entitlements!

Theyll think the streets must be paved with gold here!

My opinion may differ from others here, although I think not, but I think we absolutely should be taking in the African migrants that have fled the Ukraine. Why? Because these are genuine refugees coming from a real war zone.

Not chancers from Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Morocco, Algeria or other African countries where there is no war or civil conflict.

There are plenty of countries where there is a perpetual state of civil war or war between factions and tribes, but this should not qualify anyone for asylum. There are places in US where you can get shot just for wearing the wrong colour or hat on the wrong street, does this qualify americans for asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You are pretty much guaranteed to always ask some convoluted very weird question in your posts. It seems a bit odd that you come up with these kinds of questions is all I'm saying.

Once again it's strange to see EE migrants, who according to most of the Gemma O Doherty supporters on the thread, are taking up housing, jobs, damaging the country in many respects etc etc, complaining about migrants.

>>It seems a bit odd that you come up with these kinds of questions is all I'm saying.

Yes I'm not a simple minded individual, I already knew it but thanks anyway.

As for my origin and my opinions, I want what (I think) it's best for this country I'm living in, and not what's best for the people seeking to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Who are the Gemma O'Doherty supporters on the thread and where have they announced their support. I haven't seen any, yet this is the second time you have stated this.

• Advertisement

African migrants that fled from Ukraine? Um, why should we be taking them in? Most of them are capable of returning home to Africa, or going elsewhere on their own steam, getting the required visas, and such.

When it comes to Ukrainians, the vast majority will return home once the conflict is finished... do you think the Africans leaving Ukraine will? Nah. They'll take the opportunity to stay in Ireland, considering that the visa requirements which previously prevented them from coming here, have been waived due to the war.

By all means, give them the opportunity to come here under standard visa requirements... but I don't see why they would be treated the same as actual Ukrainian refugees.

Advertisement