Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

There were people decrying indian students fleeing Ukraine, forgetting that they have a home to return to and they had plenty opportunities to do so before the war started.

Well.. that's not strictly true, when we consider that the thread is about multiculturalism, and it's effects on nations, rather than simply dealing with immigration/migrants. The blurring of the discussion is something that has been often attempted on the thread.

Being genuine migrants doesn't take away from the potential negative effects these people might have on the society of the host nation, or the behaviour of 2nd/3rd generations from those migrant groups. The thread originally focused on those issues, and many of the criticisms of multiculturalism relate to that of genuine migrants.

However if the point was about genuine asylum seekers, then that's different to the broader concern of genuine migrants.

You were also someone seeking to come here. I'm unsure why you treat others with blanket disapproval.

As for treating Europeans differently to other nationalities during conflicts, that's just xenophobia and ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

The difference here is that unlike recent other war's ( EG Syria ) where anyone who could escape,and not wanting to die for Assad, did. In Ukraine, before the travel ban on frighting age men was introduced, anyone could leave. But not everyone did, they tried to get their Families to safety but they remained to fight, and not only that, but Ukrainians from all over the world returned home to fight. The difference between Ukrainians and others is that Ukrainians are fighting not only for their lives but their Country, and their whole way of life.

SLAVA UKRAINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Newly arrived asylum seekers will spend a maximum of four months in State-owned reception centres before moving into not-for-profit housing secured through Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs).

Those not in work will receive income similar to the State’s supplementary welfare payment

Mea culpa, I had forgotten about that, post edited

I am able to have opinions that are objective i.e. not affected by my personal history and circumstances. I am indeed an immigrant but that doesn't mean that I will be happy to have all my country men coming here with me because that will be madness - would you agree?

When I came here I had to apply for a work permit that was only granted for highly skilled jobs that paid over a certain threshold - I didn't feel discriminated because I was getting a privilege, not a right, which people often forget that. So please never mention my immigration status as an argument against my opinions on immigration, discuss my arguments not my personal situation.

We do treat people differently depending on their nationality, skills, education level, age and so on. It is not xenophobia and ignorance, it is common sense. A medical degree from France will be accepted here with no questions, one from Rwanda will have to be thoroughly checked - again, this is common sense not xenophobia and ignorance.

presumbably you came here for a better job/life. So, yes of course I would ask why you don't see any other peoples as doing the same thing you did. You seem to have a blanket disapproval against others wishing to do the same.

If all your country men did the same as you and applied for work visas to live here, why would you have an issue with that?

what i actually claimed was xenophobia and racism, was treating people differently based on the conflict they are fleeing from. There is no reason for preferential treatment of refugees based on their conflict.

• Advertisement

>>You seem to have a blanket disapproval against others

I don't, I have a disapproval against those letting them in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Ok can you explain the difference between a genuine migrant and a migrant that is not genuine?

Unless English is not your first language, in that case don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Newly arrived asylum seekers will spend a maximum of four months in State-owned reception centres before moving into not-for-profit housing secured through Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs).

Those not in work will receive income similar to the State’s supplementary welfare payment

Language is important.

Note that these quotes from an Irish Times article are written with the implicit assumption that the AS is genuine.

It doesn't say something like:

"...if their claim is found to be genuine / approved, then they can.....".

The same goes for all the RTE articles about AS, they are written with the presumption that the AS is genuine.

Stories about people due to be deported are based on the underlying presumption that the deportation is not deserved.

I asked an RTE reporter why don't they report the truth.

His reply: "we can't say that".

In reality, the majority of AS are bogus, and should be deported within a week of arrival.

Probably would of done. And also believe you know the difference.

But your Last sentence tells me everything about you and my translation would only be lost on yourself.

What do you mean? You called yourself a migrant, so I didn't want to assume English was your first language. Excuse me for trying to be nice.

So seeing as you didn't bother explaining. A migrant is just a person who goes to live in a different place for work or a better life etc.

So what do you mean by genuine migrant?

And how can there be migrants that are not genuine?

>>Excuse me for trying to be nice.

Assuming we have difficulties with proper English is anything but nice.

Not assuming anybody has problems with English. Giving someone the benefit of the doubt because they don't seem to understand what a word means, is just being nice. I try to be nice to everybody.

Havin a lower standard for us, even if driven by good intentions, is not nice, it's patronizing.

No one has a lower standard for anyone😂

My ex wasn't a native speaker either and he sometimes got words wrong, nothing wrong with that. I got a lot wrong in his language too. There is nothing wrong with giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Or maybe I should have just made **** of a poster?

• Advertisement

I have been posting on boards for a long time bubbly pop as well you know it.

You also know by my posts that I have no difficulty with the English language nor the Irish language for that matter.

Your post was taken by me to be condescending and confrontational but perhaps that is just a misconception on my behalf but I like you will stand by my interpretation.

Well it wasn't in anyway patronising. I apologise if it came across like that, but I can assure you, I don't patronize people, I was merely giving you the benefit of the doubt.

not to worry, if you prefer I won't do that in future.

So, how can there be migrants that are not genuine? Seeing as a migrant is just a person that moves to a different country for a new life or work?

I've found that you're more than capable of getting your points across... This is just what happens when posters can't argue effectively with your statements.

TBH I've never noticed anything from your posts that made me think you weren't a native English speaker...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Sure there is. Refugees fleeing from a neighbouring country or at least the same region of the world is a far different proposition to refugees "fleeing" from the other side of the world. Where else should Ukrainians seek shelter in hard times if not in neighbouring European countries that they can reach most easily?

Much of the international practise regarding refugees is based on the pragmatic approach taken to deal with European peoples displaced in Europe in the aftermath of World War 2. That pragmatic approach to a specific problem at a specific time has been abused to the extent that Afghan "refugees" (for example) can travel half way around the world shopping for the best social welfare handouts in Europe. That is unsustainable madness.

I think its fairly odd that you believe that groups like immigrants must - or at least should - support mass migration. If I recall correctly you have previously claimed to be Irish. Do you oppose mass migration on the basis you are not an immigrant? So why do you think the reverse should be true?

I am Irish. I have never said that immigrants should support mass immigration. I wondered why someone who had immigrated would not believe that other migrants deserved the same treatment as they themselves received.

as for refugees, most will stay close to home, which makes sense. But I don't believe in treating refugees differently based on the conflict they are fleeing from. That makes little sense.

Many Afghan refugees managed to get out of the country by way of visas obtained from other countries. If an Afghanistan refugee managed to get out of the country because they had a visa from the Irish government, where else would they go?

So you haven't said that immigrants should support mass immigration, but you are confused as to why an Indian immigrant (for example) does not support his 1,400 million countrymen also moving to Ireland to enjoy the same benefits he did? There is a level of nuance there that escapes me.

Actual refugees are easiest to assist closer to home. If I get stabbed - I go to the nearest hospital. It may not be the best hospital, it may not have the leading surgeons in the world. But it is a hospital. And it is nearby which when I am at risk of losing my life has a quality all of its own. If I travel half way around the world to find a hospital, then it is reasonable to assume the stabbing was more like a papercut.

Are you suggesting that refugees from Afghanistan, that left after the Taliban took power, by the only means possible to them, are somehow not 'actual ' refugees?

Yes.

Are you suggesting that an Afghan immigrant who arrives in Ireland has a collective loyalty to other Afghans in the old country so they should advocate in Ireland for other Afghans to also travel to Ireland, against the interests of their new countrymen? I mean - I'm against mass migration, yet you seem to have a far more cynical view of immigrants loyalty to Ireland and the Irish. Your view is that if someone immigrated to Ireland they had no grounds to object to Ireland becoming the latest franchise of the Mos Eisley Cantina. Because they are immigrants.

We add this up with your belief that immigrants can't speak English...because they are immigrants.

Maybe you need to take some time to self-reflect.

Twisting and turning and talking rubbish.

I'm talking about Afghanistan refugees fleeing from the taliban.

I have no idea where you get the impression that I believe immigrants can't speak English. You're purely making stuff up.

Make up lies all you want, you're just proving yourself to be a liar.

I won't entertain posters who are merely lying and bullying other posters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement