Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

The race is on among EU countries to pick up refugees from Ukraine. Ireland must take 2% of Refugees into EU. If we dont get Ukrainians we will be stuck with Africans and Muslims. Poland will have Ukrainians to cover them from the next 10 years they hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our high wages won’t be high for long as soon as a more salient over population effect is felt.

one of our airlines paying 55,000 for a first officer, if there are type rated qualified pilots arriving from the Ukraine, they’d maybe all things considered be happy making 48,000

sports shop employing an assistant for 32,000… a new arrival with experience happy to do it for 30,000.

the impact this will have on us long term is going to be massive.

hospital waiting lists will go further through the roof, live a healthy lifestyle, don’t get sick..I can’t stress this enough..

nobody will see a rise in social welfare payments now for years.

if the metro gets built that will be the last large scale capital project for years. It won’t be fit for purpose… people won’t get on it at peak and peak volumes will need it off peak.

i don’t believe some people have truly factored in just how much of an impact this will have on our daily lives going forward … negative impact.

i don’t for a minute blame those benefiting, or wishing to arrive here, quite the opposite but I’m just not seeing how this can happen without seriously compromising ourselves…. And taxes will and are rising to pay for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there are many grants here available to orchestras, but that’s going to fall by the wayside… money won’t be there for that.

Who would have thought that Europe and Ireland taking in bogus asylum seekers for years would now impact the ability to react to a genuine refugee crisis?.

Nope... Could never have thought that applying the asylum process by the letter of the law might have helped at this point... Poor Dept of Justice.

sports shop employing an assistant for 32,000… a new arrival with experience happy to do it for 30,000.

What sports shop do you know paying 15.80 an hour? Very curious as virtually all retail pays minimum or marginally above it

Even your reduced rate comes out at 14.80 an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

100,000 refugees expected. Where are they going to put them? Keep in mind they are also talking about rising fuels costs with hyper inflation with rising interest rates and rationing on the cards.

Not to mention bogus asylum claims from the Albanian cartel.

Edit: missing a zero

Post edited by Potatoeman on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Gotta be a good few billion total cost for a year, e33 million per 1000 for hotel costs a year, social welfare, medical cards, extra teachers etc. Hopefully someone puts a bullet in Putin pronto-

The Irish Mirror understands that one estimated figure given to Government Ministers outlined for every 1,000 Ukrainian refugees who will be accommodated in a hotel, it will cost €33 million every year.

Post edited by enricoh on

That's what the spoofing asylum seekers do.

The ones who don't want to leave their homes are very different.

All that irks me about this is how little we have done to stamp out the influx of bogus claimants we've received for twenty years and done zero out.

Ukraine - leaving on foot to the border countries

Bogus - arriving on a commercial flight from France where "John" took my passport.

Obviously not too late to change that. Abandon the amnesty and look to track down and deport the illegals, refuse the 99.9% currently in the system and deport and deport any non nationals who commit crimes. That'll free up some space for these genuine people.

Do you seriously believe that refugees.fleeing from war, care about being in Britain? Why would you think they would want to b there? You have repeated this same thing in several threads, with no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Taking in loads of refugees will cost all of us and stretch our resources, but that's how you help people, you share what you have. It's amazing how people don't care about people fleeing war if it affects their pocket, I'm not surprised at all on boards.ie but people just don't know how lucky we have it here really, and I'm sure you'll still be better off than most people in the world if we do take 100k people even if it makes your rent a bit dearer.

• Advertisement

Wholeheartedly agree. I have no problem with paying extra taxes etc if it means folks can get out of a warzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm guessing you're not struggling when you say that.

Think about people struggling as it is with the cost and who can't buy a house in this country despite working. Why should someone else get better treatment here? Modular homes being built on state land for Ukrainians but when house building was proposed to combat housing crisis, it was no we can't be doing that.

Still not a good enough reason not to help these people

well it's good if they build modular housing it means it wont affect the market as much. I'm not really struggling but I'm not particularly flush either, Ireland is a wealthy country relatively speaking and we can afford to help these people although it may make things a bit more of a struggle for all of us if it results in higher taxes etc. I'm proud we are doing our bit though.

It warms my heart to see such an amazing response from people here

RTE news : Almost 12,000 pledges to accommodate Ukrainian refugees

Help our own and if we have resources left after that, help others. When we don't have the resources to help our own, then we shouldn't be trying to help others imo.

We don't have it to help 100k people. There's not enough healthcare, education, transport and housing capacity to accommodate that.

when you say our own who do you mean? do you mean people in hotels and temporary accommodation? margaret cash types? who exactly do you think needs helping first because for me people waiting in hotels for social housing have a pretty good set up compared to people fleeing russian missiles

We have plenty here in hotels, on housing lists stuck on low paying jobs, even people on middle incomes stuck renting in Dublin will never be able to afford a house with the cost of rent. If you're earning 50k gross in Dublin and renting, you're likely never affording a house between rent and then all the other bills ATM. Single people in particular are completely priced out of the market.

Add to that the cost of everything ATM, the waiting lists in healthcare, the talk going around of fuel and food uncertainty and it's really not that good of a time for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

We are in a crisis already with housing ect. Sprinkle a 100k on top of that and who knows where it's going to go. If the government can solve this, why couldn't they solve it the last number of years when Irish people were dying on the street's or still living in hotel's.

Since the foundation of the state there has always been someone who needs help and there will always be.

Nevertheless we will manage. Sacrifices will be made, money will be borrowed, facilities will be built, extra staffing will be put in place and so on.

• Advertisement

some addicts died on the streets no? Do you think everyone sleeping rough should be given their own house or what? I honestly don't know what the solution is for people like that.

And am I the only person who thinks you're doing pretty well if you end up in a situation where you can't house yourself and the government puts you in a hotel? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Sacrifices can only be made when you have something to sacrifice. You might have but a lot don't and they'll still come at us. Its grand saying we can sacrifice and we can borrow if you have it to spare and you're not the one being asked to pay it back.

Actually everyone will be paying it back.

Stop trying to make it personal. It's not a you vs me situation, it's a mass exodus from a horrific war zone.

I can live with the extra costs this may bring, regardless of how many coins I have to rub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Its in the constitution re housing. The fact they put people in hotels shows that there is a problem.

And I can't live with the extra costs. I'd like to own a house at some point and I don't have extra to give to accommodate loads of extra people. At the rate things are now, I'm considering a second job never mind the further pain coming with all this.

Its in the constitution re housing.

Is it? What part?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I’ve no problem taking some refugees as these are actually legitimate refuges and not chancers passing through multiple safe countries to live off the state. One hundred thousand is a crazy amount and there is no plan on where to put them. It’s not helping if there is no plan. This should be proportional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

100k is more than the population of Limerick city, our third biggest -

Limerick is a city in Ireland. It is located in the county of Limerick. The city's population is 94,192, making it the third largest city in Ireland, falling only behind the cities of Dublin and Cork.

• Advertisement

Taking in loads of refugees will cost all of us and stretch our resources, but that's how you help people, you share what you have.

Which is fine. Take a glance back over the last few pages, and most posters here are supportive of helping Ukrainian refugees. The problem, though, is that you don't want to see posters voice their concerns over how it will affect Irish people now, or in the future. The costs involved in providing to most of those in need, will be enormous. Not simply over a few months, but likely for a few years from now.

Both the Ukrainian war (with the subsequent consequences), and the costs involved in helping a 100k Ukrainians will affect people more than just their rent increasing. Taxes will be increased across the board to compensate for the debt that the government will take on to provide all this help. Services will have a drop in funding, and that affects a range of services that were already having issues before this war kicked off. These won't be short-term measures, gone within a few years, but costs that we'll be required to pay for decades (as it's unlikely that helping the Ukrainians will put a stop to other politically virtuous gestures). The same problems exist here with refugees as it does for multiculturalism.. taking in people and.. what is provided to them? Are we simply furthering the development of a social underclass dependent on State supports? These are questions worth asking.

There is this tendency on boards by certain posters, to object to any criticism that doesn't match their worldview, and to throw down the moral gauntlet as if voicing those concerns is such a terrible thing to do. Except, it's not. I, myself, am very supportive of the Ukrainian refugees, and I do want Ireland to help out the 100k or more people that end up coming here... However, that doesn't mean I'm going to blind myself to the costs involved, and whether there might, possibly, be a better way to help, as opposed to what they government might decide.

Advertisement