Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

You really expect me to trawl through what, almost a hundred pages to compile examples of the rampant lunacy and conspiracy theories that get posted practically every page (if the last few are anything to go by)?

Like, I know I'm dealing with the very people who buy into them but give me a little credit, at least. Nothing I say or do will convince you otherwise, just like no amount of insane ravings will convince me or any other sane person that there's some kind of conspiracy to take us over. Or import Muslims. Or whatever the conspiracy du jour is.

When your sources are random Youtube videos from far right talking heads and Tweets from other far right talking heads (or wilfully misinterpreting stats or drawing your own ridiculous conclusions from them), what else do you expect? That someone should waste precious brain cells indulging your racist fantasies? That they should waste precious time proving the equivalent of "no, the Earth isn't flat, you moron, I don't care how much you believe it to be true" ?

You really expect me to trawl through what, almost a hundred pages to compile examples of the rampant lunacy and conspiracy theories that get posted practically every page (if the last few are anything to go by)?

Nope. I don't expect you to read what was actually written, and have an informed opinion before calling us all racists. Nah. That's completely unreasonable of me. Nope. You're right. You should be taken seriously when you join a thread and start with this ****.

Practically every page, but you won't read the thread. Your logic is beyond belief.
    Like, I know I'm dealing with the very people who buy into them but give me a little credit, at least. Nothing I say or do will convince you otherwise, just like no amount of insane ravings will convince me or any other sane person that there's some kind of conspiracy to take us over. Or import Muslims. Or whatever the conspiracy du jour is.

Oddly enough, over the last twenty pages, the only poster raving is you.

A few posters supplied their opinions... once, maybe twice.. but how many times have you repeated the same point since you graced us with your presence? :pac:
    When your sources are random Youtube videos from far right talking heads and Tweets from other far right talking heads (or wilfully misinterpreting stats or drawing your own ridiculous conclusions from them), what else do you expect? That someone should waste precious brain cells indulging your racist fantasies? That they should waste precious time proving the equivalent of "no, the Earth isn't flat, you moron, I don't care how much you believe it to be true" ?

Well, see... here's the thing. You've already admitted that you couldn't be bothered to read the thread. Instead, you've made assumptions based on your own bias.

And... you have failed to read my posts, since you've attributed statements to me or accusations of misinterpreting statistics, when I haven't done any such thing. So.... I am so grateful that you decided to join us with your dignified, and graceful attitude towards an online discussion with adults. Your tolerance of other peoples opinions is awe inspiring since you haven't actually bothered to read anything.

Pathetic. Just pathetic. Nope. I'm not annoyed. I'm just disappointed that this is the height of your contributions to boards...

(Mods, note. I have not called or insulted him directly, unlike him calling me a moron)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Congratulations! You figured out how to bold text, all on your own! Or... oh no, is this going to be another episode of "conspiracy theories/insanity/the far right don't/doesn't exist"?

Really, klaz, I called you a moron? The rather simplistic example I used to illustrate my point, you think that was directed at you, personally? I've seen some weak attempts to claim victimhood but that truly takes the proverbial. Do you perhaps now understand why I'm not expending any effort on ye? When that's the kind of thing you face, why bother? I'm dealing with people that're either too stupid or too dishonest to actually engage their brains and think through the nonsense they post.

That was directed at you (and the rest of the headtheballs in this thread), however. Y'know, since apparently you're incapable of understanding the difference between an insult being directed at you and one directed at a non-existent person used solely to illustrate a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @DelaneyIn - don't post in the thread again.

• Advertisement

Y'know, since apparently you're incapable of understanding the difference between an insult being directed at you and one directed at a non-existent person used solely to illustrate a point.

Well done. You finally made a logical point. Congratulations. Okie dokie. /Ignored. (same reasons as before.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Congratulations! You figured out how to bold text, all on your own! Or... oh no, is this going to be another episode of "conspiracy theories/insanity/the far right don't/doesn't exist"?

It will while you are posting at any rate,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Use Stormfront much??

Who has to when boards repeats all its talking points?

A former friend who believes the Jews are trying to wipe out white people used to link to it a lot. Obviously, I don't have much to do with him anymore. The regular posters in this forum would love him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A former friend who believes the Jews are trying to wipe out white people used to link to it a lot. Obviously, I don't have much to do with him anymore. The regular posters in this forum would love him though.

Do you have anything else but **** slinging? Any arguments to make?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Ok. So, let me get this straight. You're familiar with Stormfront, and you have a friend with hateful paranoia about Jews... but we're the ones with issues?

okie dokie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Do you have anything else but **** slinging? Any arguments to make?
    There's a Chinese saying that goes along the lines of; he who who throws the first insult has already conceded defeat in the argument. That applies to a few who pull this stuff. They avoid direct questions, any answers that are extracted from them run to vagueness at best and when that fails they run to the insult and lazy negative association tactics in the Hail Mary hope they can skew the debate, or better yet shut it down.

If one's position was so tenable and easy to argue it wouldn't require any of that and yet it seems it does, because it seems it isn't. It's like debating with the religious faithful, all smiles until the questions they can't answer come rolling in and then everyone who asks is branded a "heretic".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

May I ask a question as to why its always the cultures of people of color we have an issue with?

I mean you never hear people complain about the Americans who live here? Or the british who live here? Or the Autrailians who live here? Or the Germans who live here?

There does seem to be a hierarchy?

The americans and brits are taking our jobs too??? Aren't they? They have different cultures too.

The hierarchy seems to go
    Everyone else is ok ..but..

Poles
    Indians
    Black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Also why is the domination of VAST amounts of American culture ok? I mean if it were another culture we saw so much in Irish tv etc Ireland in general ..there would be uproar.

Are we Americans? So close to them ...it doesn't matter?

Or is it just we think they are better than asians?

By the way not saying i have an issue with american culture in Ireland or Americans living here. I just think its interesting.

I am not closer in culture to a german than I am to a pole

May I ask a question as to why its always the cultures of people of color we have an issue with?

Except, it's not. To date the only issue I have heard about foreign culture is that of Islam, or the more primitive aspects of African culture such as FGM. I haven't seen anyone complaining about culture from Asia, or S.America.

This isn't about race. It's not that simple.

In fact, the issue with culture is of far lesser concern than the issue with economics and social stability... again, nothing to do with race.
    I mean you never hear people complain about the Americans who live here? Or the british who live here? Or the Autrailians who live here? Or the Germans who live here?

Because they integrate, and TBF their cultures tend to match, or at least, march alongside Irish culture. There is a foundational commonality between European cultures due to a shared history, and the influence of the RCC.

Here's a better one.... why doesn't anyone complain about the SE Asians who settle in Europe>? (since there's no common bond in culture) Perhaps consider their existence in Europe compared with that of Africans.. Notice any differences in behavior and expectations?
    There does seem to be a hierarchy?

Such as? You say there is one, but you didn't explain what kind of hierarchy. Give us some details.
    The americans and brits are taking our jobs too??? Aren't they? They have different cultures too.

It's funny... but I haven't actually seen anyone complaining about migrants taking our jobs. Instead, it's posters complaining about other people, who complain about migrants taking jobs. Wow. That was hard to write. In any case, it's not a common complaint.
    The hierarchy seems to go
    Everyone else is ok ..but..

Poles
    Indians
    Black people.

Err... no? You're far more focused on race than most posters to this thread...

Your second post is a rehash of this one, so I'll just answer this one.

Here's a better one.... why doesn't anyone complain about the SE Asians who settle in Europe>?
    "Anyone"? That's certainly quite the bold claim and hardly one you can make in good faith. After all, what you've said is that SE Asians don't experience racism. From anyone in Europe. Mustn't be familiar with their history in the UK, so. I'm starting to fully understand the kind of delusion the true believers here are labouring under.

Oh and "culture" that's always a fun one. Funny how the "cultures" in question seems to only be related to people of certain skin colours. Which just sort of dispels any doubts I had about ye being deluded in thinking anyone but yourselves believes those obvious euphemisms. Because it's not as if the people who profess to hate only certain "cultures" or "religions" betray themselves by attacking people of the same (or similar enough looking to them) race because that's what it's really about. Nah, can't be it. Doesn't happen, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

"Anyone"? That's certainly quite the bold claim and hardly one you can make in good faith. After all, what you've said is that SE Asians don't experience racism. From anyone in Europe. Mustn't be familiar with their history in the UK, so. I'm starting to fully understand the kind of delusion the true believers here are labouring under.

Oh and "culture" that's always a fun one. Funny how the "cultures" in question seems to only be related to people of certain skin colours. Which just sort of dispels any doubts I had about ye being deluded in thinking anyone but yourselves believes those obvious euphemisms. Because it's not as if the people who profess to hate only certain "cultures" or "religions" betray themselves by attacking people of the same (or similar enough looking to them) race because that's what it's really about. Nah, can't be it. Doesn't happen, apparently.

Why do you put culture into quotation marks? Is it that you don't believe culture is a real thing or that other people are using it as a 'dogwhistle' for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

As someone who holds liberal values and voted for gay marriage and access to abortion, I am very opposed to the mass immigration of people who follow the illliberal death cult of Islam (nothing to do with skin colour!)

It is simply a fact that not all cultures are of equal value and not all will provide added benefit to our small young nation.

All our employment gaps can be filled easily by people in the EU which will also lessen the risk of problems related to lack of integration.

Also, it seems that the people who shout racism at every available opportunity are the ones obsessed with skin color.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Also, it seems that the people who shout racism at every available opportunity are the ones obsessed with skin color.

Pretty much. They're also far less tolerant of differing viewpoints than others, and more willing to twist posts to give them something to complain about.

2u2me wrote: »
    Why do you put culture into quotation marks? Is it that you don't believe culture is a real thing or that other people are using it as a 'dogwhistle' for something else.
    Are people incapable of using euphemisms to cover what they really mean? I've always found it strange that the 'dogwhistles don't exist' types seem insistent that something that so obviously does exist, can't. Or the equally tedious 'if you hear a dogwhistle you must be a dog', as if that even means anything. Isn't it just admitting that dogwhistles do exist, anyway? It's more akin to seeing someone use a dogwhistle and having the brains to identify what it is.

It's all so tiresome. But what can you do? The only small consolation is that it seems to be restricted to the darker corners of the internet. When these people come out in real life they just expose how tiny and how vocal a minority they are.

It's all so tiresome. But what can you do? The only small consolation is that it seems to be restricted to the darker corners of the internet. When these people come out in real life they just expose how tiny and how vocal a minority they are.

Keep telling yourself that, you'll be in for a rude awakening in the next ten years https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-migration-survey-most-europeans-want-less-migration-survey/

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Are people incapable of using euphemisms to cover what they really mean? I've always found it strange that the 'dogwhistles don't exist' types seem insistent that something that so obviously does exist, can't. Or the equally tedious 'if you hear a dogwhistle you must be a dog', as if that even means anything. Isn't it just admitting that dogwhistles do exist, anyway? It's more akin to seeing someone use a dogwhistle and having the brains to identify what it is.

The problem with dog whistles is only dogs can hear them...
    The real issue is that it can be attributed to anything someone says regardless of if it true or not, it is a very opinionated thing to say something Trump said for example is a dog whistle to 'insert negative group here' when he might only be saying what he is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Dogwhistles are unfalsifiable. I generally have a problem with things that are unfalsifiable, many others too. If you attribute 'what they really mean' everytime you see a word, you render the discussion of that subject to be impossible.

Dictionaries regularly update definitions to reflect how words are currently being used (For example "Yid" was updated in January of this year to not only mean a derogatory term for a Jewish person, but also a supporter of Tottenham Hotspur FC).
    In no dictionary have I seen "Culture: Dogwhistle for xenophobia". In fact, no where have I even seen this dogwhistle except for people like yourself pointing it out. Journalists, Politicians, Anti-Racist groups, etc..
    If it were up to the 'anti-racism' groups Yid would never have been formally recognized as a positive word, and in fact would have been banned under penalty of law. Words have different meanings to different people. If you see culture as a euphamism to something else, better to quote that poster and ask them what they mean.
    But Jewish groups said the OED must make clear the word is a "term of abuse".[...]The OED said it takes a historical approach, meaning it records the usage and development of words rather than prescribing how they are used.
    /BBC

2u2me wrote: »
    If you see culture as a euphamism to something else, better to quote that poster and ask them what they mean.

Except he doesn't care what other people mean by it, because he's only too willing to reinterpret what is said to justify his own bias... Which is why he takes things out of context, or reinterprets sentences to suggest a different meaning.

We've all seen this before by those who are anti-racist/anti-fascist/etc. They're hellbent on labeling everyone who doesn't agree with them as being the enemy, so they'll twist statements to give them a soapbox to rant upon. He's right in all ways, and other peoples opinions are all wrong. He's a crusader type.
    Here's a better one.... why doesn't anyone complain about the SE Asians who settle in Europe>?
    After all, what you've said is that SE Asians don't experience racism.

Out of context, and reinterpreted... it's a tactic.

Just treating you with the same level of contempt you treat anyone who goes against the echo chamber here, klaz. And oh my, is that another "the left calls everyone a Nazi/fascist these days" remark? Haven't seen one of those for, oh, must be at least ten seconds. Ye should probably get some new material if you don't want people cottoning on.
    Except he doesn't care what other people mean by it, because he's only too willing to reinterpret what is said to justify his own bias... Which is why he takes things out of context, or reinterprets sentences to suggest a different meaning.
    Very amusing, given how many here are happy to misinterpret/reinterpret stats to fit their own agenda, or outright ignore facts that contradict it. But like I said, you're just an extremely vocal minority. People wanting less immigration isn't really the same thing as bitter (typically young) men spending their days whinging about the mere existence of immigrants in the same country as them. So nah, I won't worry. Only about more violence, more hotels burnt, more TDs' cars firebombed by the bitter young men. That's all.

Just treating you with the same level of contempt you treat anyone who goes against the echo chamber here, klaz. And oh my, is that another "the left calls everyone a Nazi/fascist these days" remark? Haven't seen one of those for, oh, must be at least ten seconds. Ye should probably get some new material if you don't want people cottoning on.

Very amusing, given how many here are happy to misinterpret/reinterpret stats to fit their own agenda, or outright ignore facts that contradict it. But like I said, you're just an extremely vocal minority. People wanting less immigration isn't really the same thing as bitter (typically young) men spending their days whinging about the mere existence of immigrants in the same country as them. So nah, I won't worry. Only about more violence, more hotels burnt, more TDs' cars firebombed by the bitter young men. That's all.

You're at it again. You seriously have zero self-awareness

Actually, if you could be bothered to read the thread, you would find I'm usually very respectful of other peoples views, and I do try to be polite to them. I've no issue with someone having a different opinion... I like discussing such differences... The problem is when someone like yourself comes on aggressively, and shouting about racism... You set the tone. Don't be surprised when posters don't respect you... you simply don't deserve it.

And you're doing it again. Assigning statements to me that I haven't made.
    Very amusing, given how many here are happy to misinterpret/reinterpret stats to fit their own agenda, or outright ignore facts that contradict it. But like I said, you're just an extremely vocal minority.

Um... you, and those with similar opinions as you, are also a very vocal minority... because most people haven't made up their minds about it all yet.

And... I've yet to see you produce any facts... just loads of statements pulled out of your ass... kinda like, your need to assign statements or opinions to me, that I haven't made myself.
    People wanting less immigration isn't really the same thing as bitter (typically young) men spending their days whinging about the mere existence of immigrants in the same country as them. So nah, I won't worry. Only about more violence, more hotels burnt, more TDs' cars firebombed by the bitter young men. That's all.

Well, yes, there is a difference. Dunno know where you're getting the impression that those talking about immigration are violent/bitter young men. Seems a really bizarre observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Because being bitter would be a totally irrational and unnatural reaction to what is going on in your country. Right.

It is a perfectly sane way to react. Nature's way of telling you all is not all right actually.

Because being bitter would be a totally irrational and unnatural reaction to what is going on in your country. Right.

It is a perfectly sane way to react. Nature's way of telling you all is not all right actually.

Really? But who is being bitter? The only bitterness I've heard/seen is about the Politicians reaction to immigration, rather than being directed at migrants, or even the migrant situation.

Concern yes. Irritation, sometimes. Anger, sometimes. But bitterness? Actually, no....

Ok. So, let me get this straight. You're familiar with Stormfront, and you have a friend with hateful paranoia about Jews... but we're the ones with issues?

okie dokie.

A former friend, as I said.

Apparently you can't even read.

• Advertisement

Except, it's not. To date the only issue I have heard about foreign culture is that of Islam, or the more primitive aspects of African culture such as FGM. I haven't seen anyone complaining about culture from Asia, or S.America.

You must not have read much of the thread.

Advertisement