Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

A former friend, as I said.

Apparently you can't even read.
    I don't have much to do with him anymore

I can read quite well, although I do sometimes make mistakes. It happens. Nobody's perfect.

Yup. I saw that you said a former friend, but then you also said the above, which sounded to me like you still had contact.

Doesn't change the point that you had a friend with issues with Jews and you're familiar with Stormfront. I've never been on that site, and I don't have any friends with any such issues... I have met those kind of people before, but I didn't become friends with them. I have no interest in people like that.
    You must not have read much of the thread.

Such as? Link me the post numbers.. or quote them ( the onus is on you to provide)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I can read quite well, although I do sometimes make mistakes. It happens. Nobody's perfect.

Yup. I saw that you said a former friend, but then you also said the above, which sounded to me like you still had contact.

Doesn't change the point that you had a friend with issues with Jews and you're familiar with Stormfront. I've never been on that site, and I don't have any friends with any such issues... I have met those kind of people before, but I didn't become friends with them. I have no interest in people like that.

Such as? Link me the post numbers.. or quote them ( the onus is on you to provide)

I stopped being friends with him when he became a racist loon.

Posts numbers 26, 199 and 1252 are three I found quickly enough.

I stopped being friends with him when he became a racist loon.

Posts numbers 26, 199 and 1252 are three I found quickly enough.

You found posts that referred to migrants from South America, mostly in relation to their ending up on welfare along with other nationalities. There was no mention (that I could see, and I reread them twice) about their culture being an issue.
    Except, it's not. To date the only issue I have heard about foreign culture is that of Islam, or the more primitive aspects of African culture such as FGM. I haven't seen anyone complaining about culture from Asia, or S.America.

Context.

I appreciate that you did the legwork and found the posts. I do, but consider what you're seeking to argue with me about.

I stopped being friends with him when he became a racist loon. .

Fair enough. And I have no interest in dealing with racist loons either... I have found some on this thread, but they don't last long because their points are obviously messed up, and they're too basic. The regular posters to this thread aren't racist in their posting habits.

Sure, we point to aspects of other nationalities or cultural groups which we don't like, but there's no hatred going on about them based on their race. There will be reasons relating to migration issues rather than picking on a particular race (solely due to their race), or even their, geographical background. Plenty of people have said that they have no issues with legal migration that involves skilled people from any country.. the emphasis being on skilled. Being able to contribute. There are other concerns... but they're not based on a person's race.

Distrust over Islam is there. The lack of planning to integrate migrants is there. The distrust over false claims is there... but actual racism? It's pretty rare, although... it does happen. It's CA, there will be extreme posts, but it doesn't mean that the majority support those posters. Most of them are ignored, and they disappear... just as the anti-racism crowd do similar. TBH I find there's little to differentiate the two groups in the manner of their posting habits...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have no problem with that if they're legal. Illegal is quite another matter. And yes I'd apply that to illegal Irish living in the US or Australia.

Legal or illegal, both should be treated humanely and with dignity and fairness.

And yet you want to risk importing that here? The problems of European multiculturalism as it stands and has done for decades are also caused by religious or ethnic intolerance. Maybe you continue to miss the mass protests around the world in multicultural nations? But this time in Ireland it'll be different... Abracadabra. By magic.

But you aren't importing the issues. People who choose to leave these places are most likely doing it because they don't agree with or are targeted by the intolerance.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Why would you wish to import these issues?

Nobody has expressed any desire to "import these issues".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Legal or illegal, both should be treated humanely and with dignity and fairness.
    I don't see where anyone is suggesting treating people inhumanely, but if they're not legal migrants or actual refugees and asylum seekers then they don't get in. Which is how the relevant departments are operating these days. Thankfully.
    But you aren't importing the issues. People who choose to leave these places are most likely doing it because they don't agree with or are targeted by the intolerance.
    Again the relevant departments are judging the majority of people from a list of countries as economic migrants, nothing to do with local intolerance.
    Nobody has expressed any desire to "import these issues".
    For a start you don't seem to want to acknowledge the issues around multiculturalism, or misunderstand the point. In every single nation in Europe where the multicultural model has been run, those most unlike the local population in culture and appearance are most likely to be at the bottom of the social and economic pecking order and the urban centres of those nations have social and economic fault lines along race and ethnicity and it does nobody any good, least of all the second third fourth and so on descendants of the migrants. These are plainly observable facts, not emotions or hopes.

But like I said and like most flag wavers for this politic you refuse to acknowledge the issues in the first place, or say it's "racism"(which is a big part of it and an intractable one), or we need more "education", or vague references to "dignity" and "positives" and of course "this time we'll do it differently" when the evidence even at this very early stage in Ireland shows that's massively unlikely.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see where anyone is suggesting treating people inhumanely, but if they're not legal migrants or actual refugees and asylum seekers then they don't get in. Which is how the relevant departments are operating these days. Thankfully.
    I think your and Slowyourrole's definition of humanely differs.
    Your's is that we don't torture or deprive someone of food while they are detained, but if their application is reject then they are sent back to the airport they came from.
    I think for Slowyourrole it means to not turn them away but to let them settle and work while their application is being processed.
    Could you elaborate Slowyourrole?
    What do you mean by "fairness"? What's unfair today, if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

TBH I find there's little to differentiate the two groups in the manner of their posting habits...

That reminds me of this video which is a piss take on how similar the Woke are to the racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

piss take? They didn't mention the bigotry of low expectations, but apart from that, they're spot on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That reminds me of this video which is a piss take on how similar the Woke are to the racists.
    Kinda sums up the Horseshoe Theory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭nofiller69

Wish this thread had better counter - arguments than the tired and unconvincing ‘DA LIBRULS ARE DA REAL RACISTS!!!’ tripe.

Tell you what, if I was anything other than white Id want to live in a society with those ‘racist’ people. Definitely not with some sad cranks who complains about immigrants all day on boards.ie

nofiller69 wrote: »
    Wish this thread had better counter - arguments than the tired and unconvincing ‘DA LIBRULS ARE DA REAL RACISTS!!!’ tripe.

Here's a shocker. Invest yourself in creating logical/rational arguments which seek to engage and convince other people...

Since "the tired and unconvincing ‘DA LIBRULS ARE DA REAL RACISTS!!!’ tripe" is a figment of your own imagination. Which is the point really. We've seen a couple of posters recently with a similar posting style.

Set yourself apart and actually argue in good faith rather than dismissing out of hand. It would also be nice if the derogatory references or comments were left out of it, but I guess that's the sign of these times.

Righteous intolerance and the need to put down those with differing opinions.
    Tell you what, if I was anything other than white Id want to live in a society with those ‘racist’ people. Definitely not with some sad cranks who complains about immigrants all day on boards.ie

That's nice.... but then i (currently) live in a society which has all manner of views, all of which should receive a measure of respect. Those who engage in rational debate receiving greater respect, than those who seek to demean others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Get your st together, there is no such thing as white privilege, no one is discriminating you anymore.
    vs.
    You poor thing, here, to make amends for my white privilege I'm gonna hire you even if you don't really qualify, so you will underperform and reinforce some of the racist beliefs in others.

Which one is the real racist?

Here's a shocker. Invest yourself in creating logical/rational arguments which seek to engage and convince other people...

Since "the tired and unconvincing ‘DA LIBRULS ARE DA REAL RACISTS!!!’ tripe" is a figment of your own imagination. Which is the point really. We've seen a couple of posters recently with a similar posting style.

Set yourself apart and actually argue in good faith rather than dismissing out of hand. It would also be nice if the derogatory references or comments were left out of it, but I guess that's the sign of these times.

Righteous intolerance and the need to put down those with differing opinions.

That's nice.... but then i (currently) live in a society which has all manner of views, all of which should receive a measure of respect. Those who engage in rational debate receiving greater respect, than those who seek to demean others.

‘ but I guess that's the sign of these times.

Righteous intolerance and the need to put down those with differing opinions. ‘

Correct. The board’s demographic (40-50 year olds) need to know their place in society. Its somewhere between keeping your mouth shut and the grave.

Intolerance is not tolerated. No you cannot fall back on the same argument to defend your intolerance.

All this entire thread is, and perhaps this entire subforum, are scared old people unable to cope with a changing world.

Every thread is a complaint about something new. Old people are scared and frightened, and they should be because its not longer their world.

Its time to accept that you’re dying. Be graceful with it. The next two generations are looking on with heavy disdain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a Chinese saying that goes along the lines of; he who who throws the first insult has already conceded defeat in the argument. That applies to a few who pull this stuff. They avoid direct questions, any answers that are extracted from them run to vagueness at best and when that fails they run to the insult and lazy negative association tactics in the Hail Mary hope they can skew the debate, or better yet shut it down.

If one's position was so tenable and easy to argue it wouldn't require any of that and yet it seems it does, because it seems it isn't. It's like debating with the religious faithful, all smiles until the questions they can't answer come rolling in and then everyone who asks is branded a "heretic".

It's the same old story. For the most part the "argument" of the multiculturalists boils down to vague references to positives, which they can't seem to pin down. When these are questioned and examples of negatives are given, demonstrable negatives too, then with few arrows left in their apparently wanting quivers the only one they can fire haphazardly is dog whistling "racists!" and petty insults. I have seen vanishingly few cases where this narrative isn't to be found across any media you care to mention, the presence of "sad cranks" or no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's the same old story. For the most part the "argument" of the multiculturalists boils down to vague references to positives, which they can't seem to pin down. When these are questioned and examples of negatives are given, demonstrable negatives too, then with few arrows left in their apparently wanting quivers the only one they can fire haphazardly is dog whistling "racists!" and petty insults. I have seen vanishingly few cases where this narrative isn't to be found across any media you care to mention, the presence of "sad cranks" or no.

Multiculturalists. In other words normal everyday people who can coexist and thrive in society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

This whole website is a dumpster fire. We've had people launching character defenses for Tommy Robinson after he was arrested for about the 25th time.

We've also had lads claim one quarter of Muslim immigrants were in rape gangs. It's a hive of xenophobia, islamophobia, misogyny, racism and white supremacy.

The mods continually ignore the issues and banhammer anyone who calls it out. They can ban me if they want it only proves me right.

Correct. The board’s demographic (40-50 year olds) need to know their place in society. Its somewhere between keeping your mouth shut and the grave.

Intolerance is not tolerated. No you cannot fall back on the same argument to defend your intolerance.

All this entire thread is, and perhaps this entire subforum, are scared old people unable to cope with a changing world.

Every thread is a complaint about something new. Old people are scared and frightened, and they should be because its not longer their world.

Its time to accept that you’re dying. Be graceful with it. The next two generations are looking on with heavy disdain.
    The old should just die off eh? Hmmm, you sound all too familiar.
    Intolerance is not tolerated.
    Jawhol! You could not make it up. :D As for falling back on old arguments your only argument seems to be more silly and banal insults. Hardly an argument at all really.

Dead right as the great Bob Dylan sang the times they are a'changing. It's time the youth were let build the tolerant, multiracial, multisexuality, multi gender identity, multiethnic and pro Islamic tolerance society we want.

Watch now for November in America for the wind to change and look at the widespread support BLM have here amongst the youth for your proof. Gammon is off the menu.

The old should just die off eh? Hmmm, you sound all too familiar.

Jawhol! You could not make it up. :D As for falling back on old arguments your only argument seems to be more silly and banal insults. Hardly an argument at all really.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Best get with the times old man. Otherwise its in my best interest, along with every young person, to get rid of your intolerant generation before you hurt our beloved friends and family.

• Advertisement

Multiculturalists. In other words normal everyday people who can coexist and thrive in society
    A question that seems to be avoided like the very plague and I'll ask it again: In any multicultural "melting pot" you care to example, find me just one where the darker of skin are less likely to be at the bottom of the social and economic heap. Show me one where on top of the issues in any society there aren't also social fractures along race and ethnic lines. One will do. It's amazing how thriving in society seems to be set such a low bar.

Oh and before you have a righteous fit as is the pattern; yes it is down to racism in large part. I for one have never denied that, indeed it is yet another negative of this multicultural politic that means it is doomed to half failure or half success depending on one's optimism levels.

But hey, the old will die off, slinking into the grave reminiscing about the old days and the young will have to deal with the same crap that generations have in other European nations that have run this failed politic. And no, this time it won't be different, though the young tend to delude themselves that it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Cordell wrote: »
    Get your st together, there is no such thing as white privilege, no one is discriminating you anymore.
    vs.
    You poor thing, here, to make amends for my white privilege I'm gonna hire you even if you don't really qualify, so you will underperform and reinforce some of the racist beliefs in others.

Which one is the real racist?

The first one is someone who is very ignorant and the second one is someone you made up in your head.

Gibberish.

Slow down, and consider translating all that into logical points.

The first one is someone who is very ignorant and the second one is someone you made up in your head.

Something you made up in your head summarises half of the replacement theory nutcases dwelling on here.

What's with all the morons who (during the last few days) keep coming on to the thread, full of piss and vinegar, but unable (or rather, unwilling) to actually argue/discuss anything? All we're seeing is chest thumping, insults, and shallow statements.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Dead right as the great Bob Dylan sang the times they are a'changing.
    :pac: Quoting Dylan and that song? You do realise he wrote it in 1963 and an old man he is now, though that's grand I suppose as he agrees with you. However nearly 60 years on and after race riots and killings and decades of education and effort, today we still have BLM protests across the US. It was a lovely thought and hope for the future but in so many practical ways those times don't seem to have changed too much at all. But this time, oh yes this time...
    It's time the youth were let build the tolerant, multiracial, multisexuality, multi gender identity, multiethnic and pro Islamic tolerance society we want.
    Pro Islamic eh? I'd be pretty certain you'd poo the bed if someone was to suggest a pro Catholic tolerance society was wanted, so why another bronze age superstition gets the nod is beyond me. Though there's a touch of the orientalist exoticism with that one. Or maybe you're one of those DIY cut price easy listening "buddhists" who thinks themselves so virtuous. Or you're having a laugh, or you're a hilarious stereotype of the "right on".
    Watch now for November in America for the wind to change and look at the widespread support BLM have here amongst the youth for your proof. Gammon is off the menu.
    Ahh there's that changing wind again. And bugger all will change in the US. They'll fire one oaf out and replace him with another more digestible puppet for the big money and on they'll roll as before.

What's with all the morons who (during the last few days) keep coming on to the thread, full of piss and vinegar, but unable (or rather, unwilling) to actually argue/discuss anything? All we're seeing is chest thumping, insults, and shallow statements.
    Because they actually have no argument beyond that. There's pretty nothing beyond the empty words of "tolerance" and "diversity" hollered with hope and self protected by calls of heresy to any questioning of their position. That's how empty the politic actually is and that's the scary part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    It's time the youth were let build the tolerant, multiracial, multisexuality, multi gender identity, multiethnic and pro Islamic tolerance society we want.

Ah yes these all fit together perfectly, I cant see anyone of these groups having any issues with the others. No sir-ee bob.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Ah yes these all fit together perfectly, I cant see anyone of these groups having any issues with the others. No sir-ee bob.
    I genuinely admire the optimism involved. I really do. I'm not being sarcastic here, but good jaysus the naivety is strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm one of those old people. I would be largely supportive of a multi cultural society, or rather not object to one, but I do understand the problems and it should be planned. Education, integration are essential and immigrants should have skills to meet the needs of our country.

I don't think multi culturalism should be aa end goal in itself, but if it arises we should work with that.

The models of multi culturalism in other countries especially US and European colonial nation's is different.

But saying that I find your post objectionable on many levels. Most of the civil liberties we all enjoy were hard fought for by people now in their 60s and 70s I wouldn't be too quick to forget that.

Ideas like tolerance, fairness, equality have knocking around for awhile now.

Advertisement