Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Wibbs wrote: »
    I genuinely admire the optimism involved. I really do. I'm not being sarcastic here, but good jaysus the naivety is strong.

I hope its naivety and the idealism of youth.
    Im genuinely failing to understand how this would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Wibbs wrote: »
    :pac: Quoting Dylan and that song? You do realise he wrote it in 1963 and an old man he is now, though that's grand I suppose as he agrees with you. However nearly 60 years on and after race riots and killings and decades of education and effort, today we still have BLM protests across the US. It was a lovely thought and hope for the future but in so many practical ways those times don't seem to have changed too much at all. But this time, oh yes this time...

Pro Islamic eh? I'd be pretty certain you'd poo the bed if someone was to suggest a pro Catholic tolerance society was wanted, so why another bronze age superstition gets the nod is beyond me. Though there's a touch of the orientalist exoticism with that one. Or maybe you're one of those DIY cut price easy listening "buddhists" who thinks themselves so virtuous. Or you're having a laugh, or you're a hilarious stereotype of the "right on".

Ahh there's that changing wind again. And bugger all will change in the US. They'll fire one oaf out and replace him with another more digestible puppet for the big money and on they'll roll as before.

God I ruffled some feathers there. I'm Catholic myself and I acknowledge that islam is marginalized and painted as the big bad in modern ireland. I believe that Trump and the rights days in America and the wider world are done. People can see through their bigotry and rhetoric after covid left them exposed.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Ah yes these all fit together perfectly, I cant see anyone of these groups having any issues with the others. No sir-ee bob.

What group would have a problem? Please enlighten me.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I hope its naivety and the idealism of youth.
    Im genuinely failing to understand how this would work.

Don't call me naive. You wouldn't like it if I called you a cynical old fart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    God I ruffled some feathers there.
    Nope. Sorry. That tactic doesn't work either. Try subtlety.
    I'm Catholic myself and I acknowledge that islam is marginalized and painted as the big bad in modern ireland.
    You haven't answered my question.
    I believe that Trump and the rights days in America and the wider world are done. People can see through their bigotry and rhetoric after covid left them exposed.
    What in god's name... Eh if anything covid19 has made for more division not less. Good result for the virus mind you with the hordes of true believers of all sides of these divisions hanging out in large groups.
    You do know how Islam feels about homosexuality and I can't see non binary folks being exactly welcomed? I hate to break it to you - though this is in incredibly common misconception and one I have seen for many a year - Islam is not the same as what western Christianity has become. It never had a reformation and it's hard to see how one could even be accommodated within its very self protective structure of faith. It has a much narrower range of tolerances for a start and is much more a part and parcel of adherents lives. Are there a la carte Muslims? Most certainly, but there are far more who aren't and those nations and cultures that we are most likely to see as non legal migrants are more likely to have more.
    Don't call me naive. You wouldn't like it if I called you a cynical old fart.
    It wouldn't make either position necessarily untrue mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

He said "no issues" and I agree.

Of course none of the Multiethnic groups wouldn't have any problems with multisexuality and multigenders. That's just 'dogwhistling' from racists, bigots and Islamophobes.

"Tolerance" is here to stay and it's great.

I welcome the day when a multisexual/transsexual pastor goes into a mosque to enlighten the congregation, on his/her/their belief system, with no issues. Can't see it happen though as it wouldn't suit the bigots' agenda.

It never fails to amaze me how many right wing posters here are so concerned about women's rights and the rights of the LGBTQA+ community all of a sudden. They definitely don't just want an easy stick to beat Islam with not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It never fails to amaze me how many right wing posters here are so concerned about women's rights and the rights of the LGBTQA+ community all of a sudden. They definitely don't just want an easy stick to beat Islam with not at all.

What about people who genuinely like the society they live in at present for the most part (lots to improve on) and wouldn't want to see the return of religious dogma influencing wider society and freedoms ? Whats so bad about that ?

He said "no issues" and I agree.

Of course none of the Multiethnic groups wouldn't have any problems with multisexuality and multigenders. That's just 'dogwhistling' from racists, bigots and Islamophobes.

"Tolerance" is here to stay and it's great.

I welcome the day when a multisexual/transsexual pastor goes into a mosque to enlighten the congregation, on his/her/their belief system, with no issues. Can't see it happen though as it wouldn't suit the bigots' agenda.

And how many transgender priests are currently in any Catholic Church? I'll await your response.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So avoiding points raised yet again and unsubtly changing tack back to the "right wingers!!" dog whistling? It's almost as if you don't really have an argument beyond that?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

The first one is someone who is very ignorant and the second one is someone you made up in your head.

Both are made up of course, and also you're missing the point.

It never fails to amaze me how moderated individuals who argue for both minority rights and more common sense in regards to immigration are being seen as far right and far left by the ones that are truly far right or far left :)

And how many transgender priests are currently in any Catholic Church? I'll await your response.
    My response is; the big difference is the Catholic Church is essentially powerless in Western European societies and their influence is less and less with each passing decade. They could have usefully called for "death to unbelievers" a couple of centuries ago(though that sort of thing was more a protestant thing), but today they'd be laughed at and censured. Compare that to Islam and quite the number of its faithful worldwide.

Islam has been in Britain for far longer and in bigger numbers than in Ireland and though surveys have found they feel more "British" than the locals the same surveys show quite the bit of divergence in other matters like the ones you think will all be a great mix of tolerance. It's the Guardian so should be right up your narrative.

However, when asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population.

Nearly a quarter (23%) supported the introduction of sharia law in some areas of Britain, and 39% agreed that “wives should always obey their husbands”, compared with 5% of the country as a whole. Two-thirds (66%) said they completely condemned people who took part in stoning adulterers, and a further 13% condemned them to some extent. Nearly a third (31%) thought it was acceptable for a British Muslim man to have more than one wife, compared with 8% of the wider population.

Buy hey, nothing to see here, Gay non binary Muslim feminists for the win.

It never fails to amaze me how the opposite of "right-wingers" who are all for LGBTQ and Islam can't seem to explain to the "intolerant" how the religious of those groups have no problems with the other. If they could do this coherently then it would dispel a lot of unfounded notions that some have on Islam. It's like those at the top want it this way to keep the population fighting/demonstrating and arguing among themselves to keep us from this Multicultural Utopia that the majority really want; but for ignorance they do not know it yet themselves.

I don't know.

Why do you ask?

I made no mention of Priests or the Catholic Church, but maybe you like reading into things and making up your own interpretation/s, in fact I'm sure you do.

EDIT I apologise if I read into your post that you were mentioning "Priests" and the "Catholic Church" with reference to my post, but were not, and you were just curious about my opinion regarding same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I don't. They want to import this and they have alot more to lose than I do. They're living proof of the saying "Some fools need to learn things the hard way."

While I don't consider myself to be right wing, I understand that anyone who doesn't fall neatly into supporting your views is right wing.

[Just as, under an Islamic system, you'd probably be considered to have undesirable 'qualities'. and would need to be encouraged towards more 'suitable' viewpoints... and just as with your views that posters are right wing, you, yourself, wouldn't have any choice about being labeled that way]

In any case, look back over my posts, my concern about Islam doesn't mention anything about women's rights or LGBT (And I'm probably the the one who wrote the most about Islam recently).

Now, you're welcome to engage in an actual discussion, and I'll be happy to explain why I have issues with Islam. It's not difficult to point out real problems with cultural conflict that neither involve women nor LBGT. Although I imagine you know that already....

It's just easier to make sweeping judgments about the posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

God I ruffled some feathers there. I'm Catholic myself and I acknowledge that islam is marginalized and painted as the big bad in modern ireland. I believe that Trump and the rights days in America and the wider world are done. People can see through their bigotry and rhetoric after covid left them exposed.

Just a simple question for you Liquid Zen, have you ever lived in ( not just a holiday etc,) for a considerable time, say a year or more in an Islamic Country? And if so, how did you find it?

This whole website is a dumpster fire. We've had people launching character defenses for Tommy Robinson after he was arrested for about the 25th time.

We've also had lads claim one quarter of Muslim immigrants were in rape gangs. It's a hive of xenophobia, islamophobia, misogyny, racism and white supremacy.

The mods continually ignore the issues and banhammer anyone who calls it out. They can ban me if they want it only proves me right.

Maybe you should stop throwing pallets on then. And drop the new age martyrdom while you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am not that old (30) but i grew up believing liberalism and the left wing as being the common-sense position to take(ie supporting access to abortion, gay marriage)

However, i feel like around 2012/13, the 'Left' was hijacked by these Crypto-fascists who dont even want to debate their postion. I also think if you actually drilled down into their beliefs, you would find they dont geniunely believe what they say they believe and are just about gaining social capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The group, who are accommodated at the former Skellig Star Hotel, say they have been “traumatised” from living in the centre and are seeking to be moved out immediately.
    Well, let's hope that will be arranged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TomTomTim wrote: »

Calling on minister R O Gorman, wonder would they be so nice to a gay man if they didn't need a free gaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Send them all back home, or if that doesnt do, send them all back to the first EU country they passed through, the place where they should be claiming asylum.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Send them all back home, or if that doesnt do, send them all back to the first EU country they passed through, the place where they should be claiming asylum.

This is my biggest bugbear, whats so wrong with France that theres a camp at Calais

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Coybig_ wrote: »

Hell, Most of those NGO ships are registered in Germany so they should go there. Let's see how welcoming Merkel is to them when she has to take them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Let them at it. They’ll eat when they’re hungry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

A hunger strike in Kerry. Absolutely farcical .

Hunger strikes have a long history on this island, sounds like "they're becoming more Irish than the Irish themselves" :) Which is good.

Hunger strikes have a long history on this island, sounds like "they're becoming more Irish than the Irish themselves" :) Which is good.

Yeah but like a 1940s staunch catholic Ireland with a distaste for pork, not a 2020 ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'd say a one way bus ticket from Kerry to Dublin with a nice house will have them eating again.

Advertisement