Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

statesaver wrote: »
    I'd say a one way bus ticket from Kerry to Dublin with a nice house will have them eating again.

You can be sure that's what they'll get too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

US2 wrote: »
    You can be sure that's what they'll get too.

That's what they want. They don't want to be stuck in places like Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Yeah but like a 1940s staunch catholic Ireland with a distaste for pork, not a 2020 ireland.

I always find it funny that people who seem to have an issue with Muslims always object to the pork thing so much. It's just a dietary restriction.

Lots of people here go pescatarian on Good Friday for religious reasons and I can't even imagine someone complaining about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I always find it funny that people who seem to have an issue with Muslims always object to the pork thing so much. It's just a dietary restriction.

Lots of people here go pescatarian on Good Friday for religious reasons and I can't even imagine someone complaining about that.

Ever see a Muslim walking a dog?

Look, it’s not just the pork thing. They’re not compatible with Ireland in any way.

Ever see a Muslim walking a dog?

Look, it’s not just the pork thing. They’re not compatible with Ireland in any way.

I don't own a dog nor walk any, am I not compatible with Ireland in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bit of a difference between a single day off a certian type of food, and a belief system that believes a certain type of food is 'unclean'.

The pig itself is an interesting creature, humans can accept/transplant/harvest the pigs organs without too much fuss, which is curious.

Then there is the practice of preparing such foods, in Eng, along with major fast food outlets, many mixed schools have their school dinners using animals killed with unnecessary levels of suffering according to their RSPCA, not to mention the religous sacrifice angle to it.

This is my biggest bugbear, whats so wrong with France that theres a camp at Calais
    The need for photo ID cards at all times, which means the tax-free blackmarket is harder to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

TomTomTim wrote: »

If they want to hunger strike, then let them, but we should 100% definitely not give in to these chancers. They should be given a one way ticket back to their original country because it is too good these economic migrants have it in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Hell, Most of those NGO ships are registered in Germany so they should go there. Let's see how welcoming Merkel is to them when she has to take them all.

Ah, I think that Frau Merkel has changed her opinion of "Multicultural Society" as being a positive in Germany..openly admitting that it has not been a success.
    " Oct 23, 2019 - Angela Merkel says Germany has 'utterly failed' at building multicultural ... But the idea of having people from different backgrounds “live side-by-side” hasn't worked, ...

I don't own a dog nor walk any, am I not compatible with Ireland in any way?

Do you panic, scream and threaten me when my dog sniffs you though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

You cannot even begin to compare Ireland's Fridays fish only on the menu from the past...and that's pretty much long gone by now. But for the last 1'400 years or so,,,,,Muslims have been forbidden to eat pork...and thats that, No pork ever. No derivatives of pork either, not even to save your or your Families lives. Mention pork, even by accident in the company of Muslims,and they will recoil with horror. You can forget about the handshake. Its not just "Dietary Restriction"..its far more than that..it's part of their definition of what a Muslim is. The only explanation that I have ever been given for pork being banned, was that it was not always banned, But Mohammad on his travel's happened to eat some pork and got very sick from it...no refrigeration back in those days, And he forbade it after that.

jmreire wrote: »
    Ah, I think that Frau Merkel has changed her opinion of "Multicultural Society" as being a positive in Germany..openly admitting that it has not been a success.
    " Oct 23, 2019 - Angela Merkel says Germany has 'utterly failed' at building multicultural ... But the idea of having people from different backgrounds “live side-by-side” hasn't worked, ...

Yeah, but it remains to be seen whether she/they are willing to rollback their support of such initiatives. I've learned over the years, that talk is rather cheap when it comes to career politicians.

The EU needs a serious investigation of migration and whether it can be done in a way that genuinely benefits nations without creating an underclass. The problem is that NGO's won't want any such research done because it moves their causes away from an emotional appeal to help the less fortunate, to a more pragmatic attitude which is aimed at helping both migrants and native populations.

TBH I'm rather skeptical of the interests of NGOs that have a stake in migrants. The COVID welfare payments to Romanians and others who were identified going home for holidays, and the outrage over that aid being cut, simply reinforces that there is little real concern over actual effective integration, and more of an interest in crusading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The only explanation that I have ever been given for pork being banned, was that it was not always banned, But Mohammad on his travel's happened to eat some pork and got very sick from it...no refrigeration back in those days, And he forbade it after that.
    Much more likely that it was just a continuation of the practices of Judaism, just like snipping boys bits off. Unlike Christianity that also stole liberally from Judaism to fashion a new faith, Islam didn't have the filter of the Classical world which liked their pork and considered genital mutilation abhorrent(some of the earliest debates among the first Christians were over food restrictions and circumcision and there was a resounding hell no about both).

Oh and knowing and having known a fair number of Muslims, including those from Afghanistan and Pakistan, so not the more a la carte Muslim areas, no they don't recoil in horror from a ham sandwich or the mention of pork. Neither do Jews for that matter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I would like to see a Boards.ie Consensus.

Economists agree that immigration has a net positive on the economy and this immigration is surely a wonderful thing for the county.

Agree/Disagree?

More people paying more tax is the governments dream, that way Ireland might be able to afford to payback our European loan.

More people paying more tax is the governments dream, that way Ireland might be able to afford to payback our European loan.
    Income tax only relates to legal migration.

Many of the hand carwashes, nailbars, unregisterd minicabs, massage-personal services and so on, use plastic bucket bookkeeping
    I.e. throw all the cash takings into a bucket in the corner for the gangmaster to spend offshore on a vanity project, or replica income generation schemes.

Do you panic, scream and threaten me when my dog sniffs you though?

I don't, but neither does the idea of Muslim people that is living inside your head.
    Mention pork, even by accident in the company of Muslims,and they will recoil with horror.

This is so delusional that it makes me wonder have ye actually met Muslim people or do you just take dubious nonsense that you read on the internet as fact.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh and knowing and having known a fair number of Muslims, including those from Afghanistan and Pakistan, so not the more a la carte Muslim areas, no they don't recoil in horror from a ham sandwich or the mention of pork. Neither do Jews for that matter.

Ditto. I've had Muslim friends for dinner in a group, who simply ate something different than the rest of us who had a pork dish. The intolerance is only really there when they're a majority population in an area and can enforce their habits on others. (which, to be fair, is the same as most other cultures)

I don't, but neither does the idea of Muslim people that is living inside your head.

Wrong. I live in a suburb that has been completely taken over by them to the point where I can’t walk my dog in my usual park due to the aggression/freaking out.

All in my head though.

Wrong. I live in a suburb that has been completely taken over by them to the point where I can’t walk my dog in my usual park due to the aggression/freaking out.

All in my head though.

I genuinely do not believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Its like their lack of alcohol. If they didn't eat pork or drank alcohol nobody would have a problem. Its when they come to our Countries and DEMAND that we give up pork and alcohol is where the problem arise from. They expect us to change for them. They don't make any attempt to assimilate and fit into our societies. Its always we got to change to suit them.

• Advertisement

I genuinely do not believe you.

Based on what?

I'll tell you what, bring a dog near a bunch of Muslims and just watch.

It's the same when I get a take away delivered to the house and the delivery driver is a muslim, absolute bonkers reaction every time.

Its like their lack of alcohol. If they didn't eat pork or drank alcohol nobody would have a problem. Its when they come to our Countries and DEMAND that we give up pork and alcohol is where the problem arise from. They expect us to change for them. They don't make any attempt to assimilate and fit into our societies. Its always we got to change to suit them.

It's their other customs that are of more concern... their attitude towards women, homosexuality, religious belief, etc. Their attitude to alcohol, and pork is really low a concern, if it is one at all.

Based on what?

It's the same when I get a take away delivered to the house and the delivery driver is a muslim, absolute bonkers reaction every time.

I have never seen such a thing, and i live in a city with a large Muslim population. I've also seen dog owners in Islamic countries so it's just a weird observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It's their other customs that are of more concern... their attitude towards women, homosexuality, religious belief, etc. Their attitude to alcohol, and pork is really low a concern, if it is one at all.

True, but if the Feminists and LGBT activists aren't going to fight about that then I won't. They want to give up their freedom [and lives in some cases] then let them. I want my pork and alcohol.

Based on what?

Because you started off saying that Muslims are incompatible with Ireland because they don't walk dogs. Then the escalation is to say, actually, they all hate dogs to an intense degree. And I say that's not true (based on my understanding and my own lived experience) and only THEN do you bring out this anecdote.

I can believe that maybe one time you met a brown person who was afraid of dogs, like some people happen to be, and it confirmed to you that sure all Muslims living in Ireland despise dogs and their owners.

So wait, you don't believe anything I say based on me not having proof? I should start keeping a journal of all my run in's with muslims just in case someone on the internet calls me a liar.

Get a grip.

Keeping a journal of all your run-ins with Muslims actually does sound like something you'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Are Muslims really demanding that in Ireland....nope.
    Your coming across a tad like GO'D screeching at a man in a halal butchers about why is he not offering rashers he is in IRELAND

I am all for other nationalities coming to Ireland if they are here to work and make a life for themselves.
    They have improved the food landscape in Ireland no end for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

All in my head though.
    Maybe keep your dog on a leash like you should be and keep it away from other people...problem solved.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe keep your dog on a leash like you should be and keep it away from other people...problem solved.

I've been going to this place for close to 20 years before any of these people landed here. Why should I change. They're in MY country, THEY need to adapt.

And that's the problem.

Advertisement