Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Can you show where you have done that on this topic ? I welcome any holes you care to pick in the article but it seems you are incapable .

In relation to their relative proportion of the overall population, African or middle eastern origin prisoners are absolutely over represented in western European populations relative to all other european nationalities. You could discuss this objectively or cry rascism. Its your call

If Israel was ever to fall he would be saying the same things just replacing Jew with Christian. And if by some fluke all non- muslims were conquered he would be calling for violence against other Muslims who are not muslim enough. We have laws and mechanisms to deny entry to troublemakers who are not Irish. Shame they are not used against all extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

This is clearly a sham designed to bring in cheap labor and it needs to stop. They can learn English at home for free from films and videogames just like I did :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully they do the smart thing and extend the visas

Places are absolutely struggling for staff. I did up a CV for a lad who came for an English course recently. He dropped it into a handful of places (hotels and restaurants) and was hired by one of the hotels on the same day. He got calls from several others too.

Another lady I helped back before last Xmas was hired by a cafe for a job advertised as minimum wage. During the interview she was offered an extra euro an hour. She's had 2 raises since then and is now on 12.50 an hour. They are doing their best to make sure she (and others) doesn't leave for a better paying job.

Gone are the days when you'd be struggling to find work, there's a massive shortage in a raft of sectors.

I did up a CV for a lad who came for an English course

You did up a CV for a lad that took advantage of the English course sham to gain visa and right to work. I'm not blaming him, blaming you is also pointless, but at least let's not obfuscate the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

But for good reason too. I worked in a pub very briefly in a tourist hotpot, and the only way I could afford to live there was if I worked 5 days a week, doing 12 hour shifts a day. I was literally on my feet from 3pm to 3 or 4am every day. And even doing that, all but giving much of my life away, I still couldn't find somewhere to live so I had to pack it in and move home. As I've said many times before, comfortable suburbanites seem to live in pure oblivion, and might as well come from the moon, as they don't seem to understand what's happening on earth, yet still for some odd reason they think that they should rule it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

@TomTomTim those employing you and those propping them up by hoping the government does the "right thing" by allowing visas that contribute to driving your wage down and housing costs up are not really affected and apparently they hold more power so yes, what can I say, too bad for you. Hospitality and cheap imported labor are so much more important although GDP didn't move a bit when they were all closed down.

Join us in the all singing all dancing diverse Ireland where labor is cheap and illegals are rewarded :)

And the sad thing about it is that this is where the "we need immigrants" argument comes from. They've made us dependent on them by filling the nation with them; raising the cost of living, while paying us a poor wage, and forcing many natives out of those jobs. Some leave the country, some up-skill, some decide that a life on the dole is a safer option. Largely nowadays natives who you see doing minimum wage jobs are students, who do it for a bit of extra cash while living at home, and not people beyond their 20s or 30s, because they can't afford to live any way decently while working those jobs. And the madness of it all is that the supposed Marxists of the West say nothing about the working man being stabbed in the back, and are more likely to be seen championing the people and policies who are stabbing them in the back.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

It's not even about the marxists, it's the regular moderate left that has an identity crisis all over the Europe. They should be on the side of all people working for a wage, regardless if that wage is minimum or 100k+, instead they choose to focus on irrelevant, made up or imported problems. And the right is not much better either. But this is a longer discussion.

Not sure what sham you are referring to. See below for the conditions of a Stamp 2 visa

This young lad spent thousands to come here for 8 months, study and work legally per the visa stipulations. He will be doing a second course after the current one and will then be returning home to do his masters in some medical field, not sure which one. English proficiency is a requirement for his masters course.

If you honestly believe this is some elaborate money making scheme, you must have awful trouble budgeting lol

regular moderate left

If they are moderate what in the world is radical? Unless you're speaking purely about economic issues? As I'd really struggle to call people who are shamelessly authoritarian, who believe that a man can be woman, who think that nations can take in endless amount of people in with ruination, anything but radicals. Or maybe you meant mainstream? Because there's no doubt that that's what main stream leftist politics have devolved into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The "English Language College" scam is well known and abused consistently. South American's use it go get to Europe in their thousands yearly, with a lot overstaying with no official recourse. These same scammers can now "become" legal under emptyhead McEntee's scheme. It's why we have so many of #HelensFelons flooding the country.

The "English Language College" scam is well known and abused consistently.

Really? never heard of it. Surely if its so well known there must be more than just your post that has details on it. Are there any stats, or govt reports etc or is it just heresay and anecdotal ranting?

Well yes that's my point the mainstream moderate and sane left is all but gone.

Of course you didn't.

I mean, how can it be a scam to travel across the world (literally) just to learn the most universal language that can be easily learned by anyone at home, for free? How can it be a scam to be able to work in hospitality and gig economy jobs while needing a language that you were supposed to not know, because that's the reason you came here? Can it be a way to sell visas to 3rd world people that are able to buy it? No, it can't. Should we look into how these colleges came to be, maybe there's some, let's say, lobbying, behind them? No, we shouldn't.

And funnily the actual moderate liberals and classical liberals, essentially anyone who considers themselves liberal minded without being uber progressive, get lumped in with the right now, and often even the "far right" sadly. Political labeling has got so out of control that I don't even know where I sit on the spectrum anymore; I'm more liberal than many "liberals" while also considering myself on the right, as I'm definitely somewhat of traditionalist at the same time. Even if you take religion, while I get that some Christian views are considered "far right", Christianity taken in the most literal sense is a peaceful, pacifistic faith that urges its follower not to judge, not to take action, and to leave vengeance, if any is needed, to God. Yet it's considered radical and primitive faith by modernists. All the same time, the modernists aren't without a point either, as Christianity has been abused to the death for most of its life by people who don't follow the faith with any purity.

The recent review of the language school sector made the Department of Justice conclude that while most colleges were reputable educators, others acted as "little more than visa factories, willing to engage in the outright falsification of attendance records". The highly irregular activities of some language schools have been apparent for years - and yet successive governments chose largely to ignore them. 

• Advertisement

I had to know if that investigation was done during the tenure of Helen McEntee or not. Can you guess?

lol, the "recent review" from 2014, that recent one? The one that outlined issues which were then addressed through a reform of the sector, that one? The reform that requires a Garda present for final sign off of each student during their final exams, that review? The review that now requires multiple inspections a year for language schools by garda which allows them full access to any and all records held by the school, that review? lol

btw, if you're going to quote a report, basic etiquette would be to post a link to it

https://assets.gov.ie/25008/b2b09dd40b244872823dabadcc65413c.pdf

No, but it's the overstayers from the time of that report who are getting to stay in Ireland because of Helen.

Brazilians are the 7th most populous foreigners in Ireland Brazilian 13,640. More than Spain or Italy. How do you think they get here? All these skilled Brazilian surgeons and engineers hiding?? Is 2021 recent enough for you??

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-07-13/174/

The Brazilian issue has actually been insane in how rapidly it has come about. Walk around Dublin on a night out and talk to any Latin looking people you see, and nearly everyone one of them will be Brazilian. Only 10 years ago there wasn't a fraction of the amount that we have now. They are lovely people too, very friendly and easy to talk to, I've never had anything but pleasureful experiences with Brazilians, but all the same it's an issue, because it's a nation with a massive population, and only more and more of them will arrive in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It was ignored, because the students typically worked longer than the 20 hours allowed, chiefly in the hospitality industry. And for under the minimum wage in some cases.

To keep the industry ticking over, a blind eye was turned.

They undercut the Irish and facilitated a race to the bottom. I'm sure everyone in here remembers the stories pre-Covid of Brazillians living up to 10-15+ in 3 bed semis, with bunkbeds in every available place. Prime Time or one them did an entire show on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The Restaurants Association of Ireland were screaming to the heavens about the minimum wage being raised from €8.65 to €9.15 per hour back in 2016. They wanted a 5-year freeze on it.

This idea of bringing in migrants from poor backgrounds is a very bad idea, someday they will get together and protest that they are getting treated bad in Ireland because of racial descrimination where in reality there were just chancers taking advantage of our liberal policies. We should only be allowing in people who have qualifications and have a job offer.

• Advertisement

But then HelensFelons would have nowhere to go.

Advertisement