Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

It's embarrassing to see the state of Irish politics being revealed in the EU..

Great video, thanks for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's even more embarrassing to see Ireland's fearless leader stumbling to defend it by making the argument that this is actually needed.

And forgive my ignorance, the illegals will receive citizenship? Like they will become citizens ahead of people actually deserving it? I thought it's just about their residency status.

Residency starts the clock on citizenship. They are getting stamp 4's which is reckonable for citizenship after 4-5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Who can blame the Swedes? I'd say they aren't the only EU government who feel that way either. At the rate that the Irish government is going the Irish passport will be unwelcome in Europe. We are becoming a gateway country to Europe for illegal migrants and at last it's being called out. I dearly wish that someone would stop MM travelling abroad, he is doing so much damage to this country and utterly trying to remove democracy from the Irish people to appease Biden and Brussels. He has no gravitas and even Ursula couldn't be arsed to pick up the phone and let him know when she triggered the protocol. That's how little respect Brussels has for the Irish people and the Irish government.

Their time spent in Ireland, both legally/illegally, will be counted towards the time requirement for citizenship (5 years?). I don't think there's any automatic extension of citizenship to them, although there might be an automatic application made.

But honestly, at this stage, I wouldn't be surprised at what actually happens. There seems to be a lot that goes on beyond what Irish people know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Disingenuous comparison at best, in reality down right dishonest and you know it!!

If cineworld had continued to show that film there is a good chance people would have been murdered - and again, you know this!!

And were the protestors of Passion of the Christ successful in getting it banned ? - they were in their hole!!

These guys have the right to protest, but the film should have continued to be shown ... like all other films that people protests against.

Well, the interesting thing is from a multicultural point of view, the Swedes did everything right. Although, no doubt researchers will "examine" Sweden, finding more things that could have been done, although never proven to be workable or successful before being proposed.

They extended exactly the same rights, benefits and supports that were available to natives to the foreign population, including extra supports to "uplift" them out of poverty (especially for women), to avoid many of the issues present in the US or other countries. And it hasn't worked. It's actually caused more problems that are present in other nations.

The benefits/supports have been abused, welfare dependency is high, and there is a general lack of re-education/change from migrant groups to move away from State supplements to becoming completely independent. If anything the benefits encourage people not to work, because working is insecure in comparison to the State supplements.

It's absolutely nuts that people still promote that multiculturalism is a great idea. That Sweden, who had an excellent economy, and high standards of living, could end up like this? but somehow it will be different for Ireland. Why? Nobody will say, but it will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The rapid pace of un immigration into Ireland has greatly increased the population. A report by ESRI shows Ireland’s population between 1996-2016 grew by 31%, as opposed to just 6% across the European Union. The report estimates Ireland’s population is to increase by almost a quatre by 2030, which is a in an increase of an extra 1,000,000 people.

The proportion of people claiming asylum here from countries that do not have any internationally recognized crises to justify large amounts of people seeking international protection is proportionately very high. Between January 1st & May 31st 129,634 new PPS numbers have been issued so far. 25,458 were to new births. 34,962 (27%) were to Ukrainians.99,302 were to “Non-Irish nationals. If Putin didn't act the Pr*ck and there was no war in Ukraine, 68% of the new PPS numbers issued would still be to non-Irish nationals. That's still a mental number. The last time PPS numbers issued to non-nationals were greater than that of an Irish person was in 2012. In the ratio of 52:48. The IPO figures available show in the first 4 months of 2022, there were 3,353 asylum applications made. The total amount of applications expected for the whole of 2022 is to reach 13,000. In comparison to 2021, when the total figure for applications was 2,649. The Pre-pandemic total of applications was 3,408 in 2019. 217 of the 3,353 figure were people from Ukraine who have applied for asylum rather than permission to stay under a temporary directive, which the remainder of the 29,000 people from Ukraine have done. The top 10 countries where applicants are coming from are Nigeria, Pakistan, Georgia, Albania, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Algeria, Bangladesh, DR Congo, and Brazil.

As of this month, The latest figures show that 4,500 asylum seekers have come into Ireland this year even tho the budget for international protection of €230 million, has been allocated for only 3,500 people. We all know where the significant pressure is going to be placed....Right now, there are 11,689 people, including 2,800 children currently living in direct provision which is an increase of 42% from the same time in 2021. It hasn't been this high since early 2002 when there were 11,600+ asylum applications made and 26,500 people were housed in centers between April 2000 & December 2002. There are 2,873 people who has been issued with immigration status still living within IPAS because they cant find private housing.

As of May 31st, 935 people who broke Irish Immigration laws have received positive decisions out of 6,152 illegals in Ireland who have applied for Helen's special scheme to regularise their status in the country. Apparently, the application fee is causing quite a bit of anxiety amongst the illegals "Coming up with €700 for a family or €550 for an individual application puts quite a strain on people who have very little, or possibly no income.” says DORAS ....I think they're after a discount.

The relevant authorities are under severe pressure to find additional accommodation to cater to the massive increase in asylum applications this year alone with the many people from Ukraine who have been put up. Homeless Irish families & individuals are being turned away and told to look for their own accommodation in Limerick as there are now no emergency beds available. When there are 759 Ukrainians living in temporary accommodation in the county. How is that possible given the government's response to others in need of accommodation? Seeing hotels bought up, sites being erected, school waiting lists being bypassed. All for non-nationals. Our own are being shafted in our own country. Sure they arent even bother to help an Irish family with a mother who is mentally ill, her husband who is her carer, and their 2 young kids, were forced to sleep rough after Dublin City Council provided them with accommodation for one night and were essentially told they were on their own after the that......

Our Birth rates have continued to fall in a decade, down 21.7% (15,590) since 2011. In 2021 there were 58,443 births registered in total. A 4.4% (2,484) increase on 2020. This represented an annual birth rate of 11.7 per 1,000 of the population compared to 16.3 per 1,000 population in 2011. The average age of first-time mothers was 31.6 years, up 0.2 years from 2020. The average age of mothers for all births registered in 2021 was 33.3 years, compared to 33.1 in 2020 & 31.8 years in 2011. Births to Irish mothers accounted for 77.7% of births. A fifth of birth was to non-national mothers(Non-EU 9.8%. EU 10.5%. UK 2%. 0.04% not stated!) What it fails to mention are they are not the sort of immigrants that will contribute to society but will be a burden on it. Plus they are actually destructive to the cohesion of the society. You only have to look at Sweden, Germany several other EU states to see what will happen in Ireland

Only the other day the government's television network was telling us the woes of 528 Afghans who applied to bring their families to Ireland through the reunification scheme and how they'll be waiting months before they get a decision. So just like the rest of us in a post-pandemic climate.The average family reunification averages twenty family members. The infrastructure of this country is not strong enough to support these government schemes let alone those having to leave. It is evidently clear that there are more pressing priorities that we must resolve. This scheme is unsustainable and must be reduced drastically or stopped temporally. When you think about it, Afghan women have one of the highest fertility rates in the world. 4.32 children born per woman & has on average of 6 siblings. A single reunification would trigger an exponential chain migration effect and will have a negative impact financially and would have a negative impact on the demographics of Ireland etc

Our politicians plow on with their progressive immigration policies without feeling any need to monitor the negative and destructive impacts, and with no thought for the long-term impact, it has on the people of Ireland. They consider the mass importation of immigration as an expedient response to labor shortages and that the laborers, such as Brazilian guest-workers on student visas in Ireland for one example, would probably eventually want to return home with their earnings at retirement. It is also evidently clear that many of the people who come to Ireland from such countries, as well as people who come here from other EU states specifically for the purpose of being allocated social welfare, education, and housing, are state dependents and likely to remain as so and not return to their country.

Quotes from Simon Coveney:

• “I propose that Ireland should, as part of the Ireland 2040 planning framework, put in place a long-term strategic infrastructure plan to prepare for an all-island population of 10 Million people. We should seek to provide up to €20 Billion from sources including the European Investment Bank, private funders & increased exchequer provision”
    • "Over the next twenty to thirty years, effectively we want to attempt to double the size of all the cities in population terms outside of Dublin. The population of Ireland will certainly grow by an extra million people. Linked to that estimate is that half of that number won't have been born in Ireland"

ffs someone must tell them that 10 million figure is supposed to be a warning, not a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Who wants the country to double in population when everything is currently creaking at the seams in housing, health, education etc etc?? Whats the gameplan here?/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

The asylum stuff is strange and i do find it unusual that we never hear anything about this in the media apart from saying how terrible our direct provision system is. Just an update on asylum figures they are currently at over 5,400 new applications for the year so far so we are well on course for the 13k this year. Ireland is seeing twenty year highs of asylum seekers (which does not include the Ukrainian people) but no one seems to be talking about it.

The Ukrainian situation seems to have taken up all the airwaves but we are really in trouble with this going forward. Ireland appears to be a huge draw for these cases so much so that they are leaving other EU member states and coming here (we wont even talk about the common travel area with the UK). Between different "regularisation" schemes, UK sending their asylum seekers to Rwanda, the right to work after 6 months and own door accommodation being promised going forward is a potent mix. The biggest issue for me is the fact no one ever leaves unless they want to i.e. there is no deportations.

All of this is not a good mix for a functioning immigration system and has put massive pressure on a myriad of public services and housing with the worst to come IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And save for a referendum nearly twenty years ago where an overwhelming majority of the Irish electorate voted to close off the anchor babies loophole sending a pretty clear message, none of this has been put to the Irish electorate. All the main parties are gung ho for this multicult nonsense and there are zero measured alternatives to that nonsense for the Irish voter. Whether you vote for the Hobson's choice that are our political parties, or you choose not to vote at all, the same multicult nonsense will be in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Whats the gameplan here?

Yeah.. I do wonder about that.. because with their agenda, they're going to ruin everything that is good about this country.

Its pretty obvious that not many are too bothered. there's really only a handful who seem to take issue with the arrivals into the country over the last 2-3 decades. As a result, and as can be seen but the election results, there is virtually zero support around the country for far right immigration policies.

>>zero support around the country for far right immigration policies

far right immigration policies: put immigrants into forced labor camps, work them to death.

not far right immigration policies: send back immigrants that don't deserve to be here and limit the immigration to sustainable figures.

Hope it's all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truly depressing…. Like some dystopian nightmare that’s about to come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

Jesus. There is no Amnesty in one breath. Confirms Amnesty in the next. This Country is FUBAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

It was always said that Ireland was 20 years behind the UK, if this is the case, you can't imagine the numbers of immigrants that are going to arrive here.

I left England nearly 40 years ago, the Asian's were starting to build up in the area I lived & worked in. In general, the Hindu & Sikh people were very nice, we had a lovely couple of Indian's running the corner shop below our flat, Mr. & Mrs. Patel, they found it funny one day that we were having curry for tea & they were having pizza. They were broken into one day & were very upset, asking us why would people do this sort of thing.

The Islamic side had no intention of integrating in anyway, in fact their mindset was you must allow them to do whatever they chose. Islam is diametrically opposed to European ideals so it was never going to work.

I spoke to my brother last week, he was driving through Enfield & said he hadn't seen a European yet, all the schools were non English.

I grew up in Southampton & areas that used to be safe to walk around he tells me are no go areas, the Kurds fighting another faction. We had basically unlimited & uncontrolled immigration for years in the UK.

My brother-in-law is an armed response police officer, he said the African's are all carrying knives but they can't be searched because they cry racism, he said it's one lot of scumbags killing another.

I feel so sad about the way Ireland is going & if it is going to mirror the failings the UK made then God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Not too bothered.....Really? Give the population a voice to vent their disapproval to what's happening to this Country, immigration wise, and you will see a repeat of the birth right referendum , but in even greater nr's this time around. Because when ever I speak to the local people, I've yet to hear anything positive from them about multiculture, quite the opposite. Just an ever growing feeling of helplessness about what's happening. But at some point in time this will manifest itself, when a politician (or more than one) will saddle himself to the anti-multicultural horse, and find him/ herself on a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How would you know? You have zero clue whether it's a handful or not. As I pointed out, the only time a vote on immigration was put to the Irish electorate they closed the loophole that kicked off a lot of the extra EU migration and by a massive majority. There wasn't a single constituency that voted against closing it, even in leafy South Dublin. A bigger majority than both SSM and Repeal votes. Did you think those results were down to "only a handful"?

And of course in your worldview you would see any debate about migration as "far right". You just want more and more and more and the more "exotic" the better, while revelling in thinking you're winding up "racists". Right on. That's the position you've put across here and that's all your position is like all the others who've tried to defend this politic. What you all have in common is the same nebulous non arguments and zero answers to concrete questions about this politic, beyond at best "it'll be different this time". Yet there isn't one single example of a Western multicultural society where the exact same trends don't play out. Not a single one. But you're happy to lead this country down the same stupid shortsighted path for the feelz and a phyrric victory against the boogyman "right".

And as I've pointed out the Irish electorate have zero alternatives. All the parties are gung ho for this multicult. You have to vote for someone, or vote for no one. It quite simply doesn't matter. The largest demographic shift in modern Irish history, tens of thousands of illegal immigrants, much higher percentages of some demographics suckling from the welfare teat, the "amnesty" for criminals, the weakest response in the EU to this, one that even the Swedes of all people are calling us out on. Well they know the truth of it. Though if I were Swedish I'd have few fears of illegal migrants going there from here, not with our far higher social welfare and housing(which we don't have enough of) supports.

And the Irish people have no voice in the matter, save for the one time we did and against all the calls of "racism" by the usual political and NGO mouthpieces the same Irish people said nope. I'd bet the farm you'd not risk a similar vote today, because it would show up your "handful" to not be so small.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How would you know? 

As I said, the election results speak for themselves. Even where right wing lads run they rarely get even 1% of the vote. Nobody is buying hat they're selling except for a tiny few.

Everyone else is quite happy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

Why is having a sensible immigration policy being labelled as "right wing"?

I guess it depends on your definition of "sensible".

I think the current policy, laws, regularization scheme etc, all sensible.

Others would call shipping folks off to Rwanda as sensible

Avoiding the actual point like the plague. As usual. Look up Hobson's choice in the dictionary. And what did the 04 referendum majority vote "speak for"? Were two thirds of Irish people "right wing"?

Because it's one of the few arrows in the quiver for the multiculturalists when the debate comes up. It's a simplistic rallying call and also a hail mary hope that if they can find "racism" they can shut the debate down entirely. The only other arrows as we have seen are charity, exoticism, we wuz migrants once and nothing to to see here, it just is. That's your lot. That's literally all they have. Which as I've said before has very much surprised me since this thread started. I truly and genuinely expected a far more robust and reasoned defence of such a gilded Accepted Truth of sociopolitics that we all must believe. Any deeply held so called Truth of any society that has no concrete defence against even simple questions and rushes to offence because of that is no truth in the first place. It's a faith, preached by vested interests to the faithful and little more.

I thought that all cultures are valuable and all people are a merry bunch so please tell us again what's wrong with Rwanda?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why doesn’t Rwanda deserve multiculturalism?? Pure European Coloniser attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I can only speak for my own circle, the lack of resources and infrastructure to house those living here, and the flight of people educated here is increasingly discussed.

And the link to immigration isn't lost on people, as it seems to be to politicians /media.

People feel helpless and annoyed (as can be seen by the SF vote)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The Irish and in fact all European former nations are a bit like the Eloi from that 60s sci fi movie starring Rod taylor. Blare the magic words from the public address system (media) and off they dutifully shuffle to destruction. I can't think of any equivalent in recorded history.

• Advertisement

Though if I were Swedish I'd have few fears of illegal migrants going there from here, not with our far higher social welfare and housing(which we don't have enough of) supports.

The Swedes put in State supports for people wanting to have families, which can add up to quite a bit depending on how many kids you have. TBH I suspect if you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that welfare and other supports are, in fact, higher there than here, once everything is added together. The advantage to Ireland is jobseekers and similar initiatives, along with the housing you mentioned, but Sweden has similar of everything.

Still, they're tightening their restrictions on immigration and the rights of migrants to supports so I'm not quite sure why they're worried about Ireland, except for the fear that Ireland could end up like Greece or Italy, with a large population dependent on government supports, which would buckle our economy.. and so weaken the EU overall.

Advertisement