Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They've been authoritarians well before the war was raging as it is, and they will be after the war has ended too.

Ukraine in many ways isn't too different to their Russian rivals.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

First story on the news Ireland’s increasing population

second story disabled children can’t get school places and the help they need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But Zelensky is a hero. He’s fighting the good fight!!

Well, in between meeting celebs from around the world in his “warzone”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

The war began in 2014 with the annexation of Crimea but yes you're right Ukraine is not EU material (democracy, corruption etc) and they only got the candidate status as a move against Russia. Which imho is the right move but here is not the place for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, you couldn’t make it up.

The population of the Republic of Ireland increased by 7.6% in the six years between 2016 and 2022

171,338 of that increase due to net inward migration.

• Advertisement

The far left will blame the government for there not being enough places… dare not think that the massive influx is just the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It's the tip of the iceberg. How many tens of thousands are here illegally and staying under the radar? Meehole should be stopped from international travel what he's at is borderline treasonous. The dumb prick is travelling the world thinking he's an elder statesman all the while being played like a fiddle by very clever people who are laughing their asses off at stupid Paddy bending over and grabbing their ankles yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Look MM doesn't give a rats ass, he has finally gotten the Taoiseach gig and he won't be running again.

He will have his lovely pension to see him into old age.

And that other slippery eel Leo has something international, more in keeping with his right on woke views, lined up so will not be sticking around to pick up the pieces.

But if I was a fine gael or fianna fail TD, without the ministerial pension to fall back on, I would start getting worried.

They are going to start getting their asses handed to them.

Young people outside cities can't now even afford to go to college in the big cities.

You have young people commuting to college, not commuting for work but college.

And when people finish college they can't afford to rent a place in the cities where there is work available.

Then look at the price of fuel and the prospect that the loons in the greens will have their way and screw the sh** out of car drivers.

sinn fein even with their loony economics, even with the whiff of criminality, even with the old PIRA connections, even with the morons standing for election are going to get a lot of protest votes.

The big question is going to be looking down the road past sinn fein being in government, which one of the major parties is going to start giving taxpaying law abiding Irish people what they want.

I am not allowed discuss …

There's far less here illegally than your guess as evidenced by the uptake for the regularisation programme

They estimated 17,000 but have had 6,000 applications so far.

Granted there is a month left and there will likely be a rush towards the end but its miles away from the original estimate.

On the plus side, these folks will no longer be illegals following the regularisation so that will be a load off your mind

No shortage of hotels offering expensive accommodation in Ukraine. Anyone not believing me should have a look at Hotels.com Ukraine. I'd love to know what's really going on because it sure as sh it isn't anywhere near as bad as we're being led to believe. Sorry, but if this is as bad as we're being told then there wouldn't be business for hotels so they wouldn't be advertising.

• Advertisement

Getting past Sinn Fein ? Would I be a tiny bit skeptical in imagining that if Sinn Fein get into power… removing them by democratic means might be somewhat of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

O Brien doubled down oh the governments insistence there will be no cap on the numbers we take in....

"Mr O’Brien said Ms Nolan was walking a very fine line. “What you're calling for effectively is a cap on immigration and a cap on asylum into this country. Let's be clear, that's what you're calling for. We will not support that, we will not support a cap on Ukrainians coming in here who are fleeing a war. Most parties support that approach with the exception of you.

“Does it provide challenges? Of course it does. Do the Irish people realise that? Yes, of course they do.

“This is a welcoming country. We've known over our history as a people where we've had to seek safe harbour all across the world, where we were treated very badly, we're not going to allow that to happen here.

“Do you want to draw a distinction between who comes in here? Is that what you're asking to do? We won't go down that line.”

It's all very well for McEntee, Harris and Coveney to push all this stuff about letting Ukrainian kids into Irish schools ahead of kids on the waiting lists. Their kids will never be competing for school places with these kids or kids from Direct Provision. They won't be attending schools where a large proportion of the kids don't speak English and losing out on getting the best education they can because of that. There's a limited pot of money and the Ukrainian kids are jumping the queue even though no extra funding has been issued to schools.

Before COVID there were complaints that not enough SNA's were available in schools. Now it's not enough English language support for African kids from Direct Provision. We've school principals calling racism because language teaching for Ukrainian kids is prioritised over that for brown and black kids who don't speak English. Anyone would be forgiven for thinking there's no Irish kids or kids who speak English as a first language, in schools in this country at all. These Irish kids with special needs will be the ones who suffer. Come September RTE won't be giving them airtime, it'll be all about how wonderful it is to see Ukrainian kids in Irish schools.

They are just people trying to live their lives. Hotel owners trying to keep their business. No conspiracy, no media coverup no nothing. Ukraine is a very large country and the war is localized and life still goes on everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They should at least vett those who are actually coming from the war zone in Ukraine . At present about 80% of the country is not effected . I suspect many are just taking the opportunity to move freely to other countries .

I suspect you're right :)

He really is tone deaf. It's absolutely shameful to compare people leaving this country due to famine and starvation to people coming here from Ukraine and other countries, because of our insanely generous benefits system. Someone posted a video on the Ukraine refugees thread showing dozens of Ukrainian men fighting in a hotel lobby here. Almost all of these men are between 18 and 65. They can beat the heads off each other and kick each other on the ground but not fight for their country.

When I saw the images on TV of traumatised elderly people in bombed out areas and young mothers with children I was horrified and supported them coming to Ireland, temporarily. But that's not what we're seeing here, not by a long shot. Whether anyone here agrees with conscription or not, it was implemented by Zelenksy. How can we justify sending money and aid to Ukraine while welcoming in men who should be at home fighing for their country. Irish men and women fought for their independence, we call it the war of Independence. What O'Brien is doing is treasonous and makes a mockery of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

"MM is a sociopath" lmao. Do you not think that is a little ott?

I'm glad I can just open this thread, have a laugh and then go about my life.

For others it seems like this stuff literally consumes their lives.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good whinge!

• Advertisement

It's hard to believe people actually think like this but that's what we're dealing with on this thread. MM should be stopped from international travel!? LOL!! You do realise he's the Taoiseach right? Who are these "very clever people" who are "playing him like a fiddle"? I sense a huge conspiracy here. Do you realise how stupid this sounds?

Off you go then. I have a few quid, I'll pay for you to go to Kherson or Donetsk or Mariupol. I'm being 100% genuine here.

And yeah, before I thought we were on track to have a majority by 2050 with no links to the country pre-2000 but it'll be quicker. I love the poo-pooing of the great replacement stuff when it's literally happening in front of our eyes whether the "reason" behind it is a conspiracy or not.

Do you honestly think that most of the anti multiculturalism people in this thread DON'T believe in that idiotic replacement theory? There are constant hints at a "conspiracy" that for some reason nobody seems to want to divulge.. hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Given the state of Ireland at the minute, and the context surrounding me saying that, no. And It does consume peoples lives because shockingly it effects their lives. You wouldn't dare use that line either in regard to any of your beloved minority groups, and their supposed struggles, yet for some odd reason you think that the majority have no right to care for things that lower the quality of their lives?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah yeah, the "We waz migrantz onze!" bullet point from the usual script. And as usual with the multicultists he didn't answer the actual questions around this. They all avoid answering at all costs. Stick to the script.

Oh and I hate to break it to O'Brien who seems to be in favour of come all ye, doesn't matter, we already do draw distinctions between who comes here, at least those at the sharp end of immigration do and thankfully. After the pregnancy passport loophole was closed we rejected over 90% of so called asylum seekers from places like Nigeria, Georgia, Romania and yep Ukraine too, as scammers. Even Leo namechecked them as such, well only the White ones of course. Have to stick to the script there dontcha know.

Oh and even after a decade long war with more death and destruction and more displaced internally and externally, we only took in 3000 Syrians, half under 18 after extensive checks, yet we drop down the welcome mat for over ten times the number of Ukrainians with zero checks and automatic SW and medical cards in three months? O'Brien is the usual bullshít artist gombeen man who can't even get his head straight and clearly doesn't want any questions raised. Just like his fellow gombeen Helen - I've opened my home to Ukrainians, oh never mind I didn't - McEntee.

Oh and I hate to break it to folks out there, SF are even more gung ho for this stuff. Beyond a few cranks who nobody would vote for because they're utter loons, there are no considered and real alternatives who would even begin to question this in our political class. I can think of no other subject over the last few decades that is so dug in, so verboten to talk about, never mind question.

I can pretty much guarantee that if the subject of Ukraine and nationalist right wingers came up in a thread here in 2020, you'd be fully on board with painting them and their political landscape as troubling. The Rise of the Far Right is the Progressive boogyman and Ukraine was near the top of the list of countries of concern. The US media were reporting it, as were US government outlets, the BBC and the Guardian in the UK were all but touching themselves inappropriately reporting on the moral panic of it all. I can scare up plenty of links on this score, but amazingly all that's been forgotten because of the Russian invasion. I've seen posters on here cheering on the Azov group yet the same posters would be equally foaming at the mouth against them last year. If they'd even heard of them of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There is nothing unusual about hotels operating in warzones. Baffling as to why you have an issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I remember all the photos from Iraq, Afghanistan and going back, the Blitz, that were carbon copies of this wartime scene being played out in Kiev.

Pretty much nail on the head there.

My dad was basically a refugee. He didn't travel half-way across the world though, he got to the nearest safe town. Though he wasn't exactly welcomed by everyone shall we say. He went home once in 15 years for his father's funeral. Meanwhile the lads from Ghana and Kazakhstan nip home every year or two for a catch-up. 🤣 Other side of my family are travellers and my uncles had some great stories about growing up. So I tick 2 of the major boxes but I'm a right-wing nut for not slavishly victim-claiming about everything. 🤣

As for Sinn Fein, they're nutty in several ways. When they get in I hope I'm not here, that way I might be able to enjoy the show. They're populist and the rest but they still have the hardcore "Left" nonsense baked in. Russia invaded Ukraine? ****, take down anything where it looks like we were critical of Ukraine. I wouldn't be too shocked in a few years when this has blown over to see those items reappear and framed as a "we told you so". All the "peace studies" academia stuff is dominated by them and their supporters so they're good at playing to the international audience as well. Gas though that a left-wing nationalist party is so in favour of unlimited immigration but that's the bizarro world we live in.

• Advertisement

I'm absolutely shocked given the sentiment of your message that you spelled it Kiev. Absolutely shocked I tell ya.

Advertisement