Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

That is an impressive summary of what a lot are worried about. Fair play

Sometimes I feel like the Government and the opposition really don't live in the real world, anyone with the slightest bit of cop on could see that we can't take unlimited amounts of people

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's pretty clear the argument in favour of the credo of multiculturalism is remarkably and surprisingly empty and anything that questions this near religious politic is dismissed, deflected and ultimately ends up in calls for censure and sanction(with insult thrown in) while running to "authority" to do it, so what did you actually expect BollixC?

OK let us come at this from another direction: If those against it in its current form are such a tiny minority and the vast majority of Irish people are right behind it; then why are those who support it so very concerned and call for any debate that isn't 100% behind this faith to be censured? This should tell you all you need to know. They know it's not nearly so defensible, they know it's a remarkably weak "Accepted Truth" and they know people are asking valid questions of it. Like I said before this politic acts very much like a religion. Questions are a heresy, because they can't answer them with logic.

For another example of this: Look at how housing minister O'Brien reacted to TD Nolan when she asked the quite rational and hardly inflammatory question of had the government carried out any impact assessments into the numbers coming into Ireland. He slapped her down on the spot, near ranted at her that there would be no caps and then accused her of "undermining social cohesion". All he was short of doing was accusing her of racism. By asking a simple and logical question and suggestion that maybe our bloody government might have planned ahead? Is this "social cohesion" he spoke of so terribly delicate that it is to be feared that it could change so easily? Clearly he thinks it is, which strongly suggests he damn well knows a) they have screwed up and b) that this is not nearly so popular a drive with the Irish people.

And now a few weeks later we're erecting tents for Ukrainian refugees, while adding over three billlion euro to our bill, a goodly proportion of whom it turns out aren't Ukrainian and unlikely to be refugees and our propeller heads in government are now pushing the blame onto the Brits. Oh and our government announced to the world and long before putin's ego started a bloody war that "asylum seekers" would have turn key accommodation and access to the same services as Irish people within months of entering this country. You really couldn't make this level of bullshít and incompetence up and none of this was put to the Irish people. Never mind that a couple of years ago the bowl Leo actually namechecked Georgians and Ukrainians as problematic because of the high number of scam applications. Now of course he made sure to only namecheck the pale scammers, the near 100% of Nigerian applicants being refused by the department as scammers being magically invisible. Don't want to undermine this pillar of "social cohesion" they speak so highly of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There's more than ten posters (not going to assume anyone's gender on an anonymous forum) keeping the thread alive..

As for the majority, I don't think anyone on boards represents the majority.. as the majority are mostly ignorant of what's been going on this country, except for their local areas. I would say that there is a growing cohort of anti-immigration (not necessarily anti-immigrant) sentiment from the conversations I've participated in, or heard across the country.. but they still wouldn't be the majority, more likely the average person getting a bit weary of all the pro-immigration posturing, and the range of costs involved.

Lastly, the echo chamber comment means nothing because there are a wide variety of perspectives on the thread. I agree with some of what Wibbs says, and he might agree with some of mine, but there's plenty we would disagree on. The same goes for most posters here. It's the reason the thread is one of the better threads out there regarding immigration, because there is such a variety of opinions.

I realise that you like to have a simplistic black/white perspective of the world.. but for most other people, they recognise that agreement can be reached on some issues, while disagreeing with others. As opposed to your desire to attack/dismiss anything that doesn't match your own viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

Did something change or is the Taoiseach lying to the country?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-refugees-should-be-distributed-across-eu-berlin-says-2022-03-28/

"EU officials said there would be no obligatory quotas of refugees to be hosted per country"

Just how representative is the 30% Ukrainians 70% 'others' - is it across the board?

Are the quoted figures of 39,000 Ukrainian refugees the 30% or is it the 100%.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/number-of-ukraine-refugees-in-ireland-nears-39000-1324542.html

So many questions

What evidence is there to support your claim "groups from Africa and the Middle East have exploited the situation to claim they were living in Ukraine"?

Actual evidence, not heresay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

I think the evidence will be that a fella that kicked a dog did a video and some Indian looking men were at the airport. Because the men were not white, it was seen as cast iron proof that they weren't Ukrainian citizens or had Ukrainian papers. I think the evidence is that they snuck into the line with the Ukrainians while the officials were not looking? I'm not quite sure. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can't say I buy it myself. I'm sure the trained officials have the ability to check papers and stop people jumping over barriers and sneaking into lines. I'm pretty sure they have the ability to do that myself. The fella that kicked a dog is here, just for your information. It does say that he got fired for dereliction of duty rather than kicking the dog or threatening to kill a woman's much loved family dog in another incident.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever about claiming to be Ukrainians, a bit of a stretch for Nigerians for example(you might remember the stories of Africans trying to get out of Ukraine early on were held back by Ukrainians and put to the back of the queue. And if you think we've got a "far right" attitude problem here, you clearly have never talked with many Ukrainians re race, same for most EE cultures), 70% of those "refugees/asylum seekers" in Citywest aren't Ukrainians.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said there has been "a surge" in international protection applications in recent months and suggested that the UK's Rwanda policy has played a role in the dramatic increase.

Yep, just when you thought it wasn't the Brits. It was the Brits. The dastards!

Feck all to do with that grinning moron O'Gormon announcing this time last year in Arabic, Georgian, Albanian and French that(even though Georgia and Albania are at the top of the tree for scam artists that Leo himself namchecked) a free for all come on in that these "asylum seekers" would have their own door accommodation after only 4 months along with all the other taxpayer funded state aids on top. He was and is literally asking for chancers and scumbags.

You do understand the two positions are mutually exclusive? And will become ever more so as the months go on and inflation, lack of housing for actual Irish people, energy shortages etc bite. And watch and see how many votes the same Taniste gets in the next election. I'm willing to bet he and his party will get a shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a photo earlier in the Ukrainian refugee thread showing solidarity for Ukraine at Croke Park (near the beginning of the conflict), with 6-8 people supposedly from Ukraine, but with four obviously not Ukrainians? (Black/M.Eastern)

The defence being that there were non-Ukrainians living in Ukraine, but we should provide refuge for them too. I seem to remember DaCor defending them as being residents in Ukraine (without any evidence that they were) and we should be helping them too. After all, apparently, Ireland should be a refuge for everyone..

Well to be fair a Black Ukrainian would win the Right On Top Trumps.

In any case, could we swing back to multiculturalism in Ireland, as opposed to the Ukrainian situation? (There being two threads aimed at that already)

Honestly, I suspect this is an attempt to shutdown the thread... and I'd prefer we had somewhere, like this thread, to discuss immigration/multiculturalism.. Continuing with all the Ukrainian stuff is sure to get the mods involved, unless we're going to discuss the actual impact of Ukrainians on Irish culture/society, but not in terms of the refugee situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Another embarrassing car crash interview on rte this evening. This time FFs Mary Fitzpatrick.

It's as clear as day the ministers and even worse the government hasn't a clue what to do with the influx of migrants and don't even seem bothered.

Seriously, who is calling the shots in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I thought some of those people were students and that our government gave them refugee status to continue their studies here. I could be wrong.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a separate thread to discuss Ukrainian refugees. Do not bring them up on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Am I on your list Lmao? And if so, why was I not in copy? You have some damn cheek, deciding who is a " Spammer". or Sh*t stirring Scum as you describe them., and "reporting them.!!! Do you believe that everyone who has reservations about the present situation re Asylum seekers etc, and voices an opinion here on Boards, fall into that category?. I'll continue to post as I see fit, and if you don't agree with what I post, tough. But as a reminder, we still have freedom of speech here. And means that even if you disagree with what they are saying, they have every right to be heard. And for the record, with genuine war fleeing Refugees, I support 100% helping them, but others who are just jumping on the Ukrainian bandwagon? No not under ant circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

According to RTE news the government is looking at several properties in Dublin to 'replicate City West'. It really looks like they're trying to kill the tourism industry in Dublin.

In the initial stages of the war, everyone from Ukraine that the Aid agencies sent, were accepted here (as per the no background checking policy). It was only later that the stipulation about not having a place in their home country became part of the policy.

It's still an utterly retarded position.. to offer foreign students (non-Ukrainians) in Ukraine a place in Ireland. If they were eligible (and could afford) to be here, then they would have been here already, not studying in a 2nd world nation within an educational system known to be corrupt and open to bribery.

Leaving this here. It was already covered to death on the other thread.

No surprises here.

Since when did this government care what's happening in Ireland.

There only a shower of puppets on massive wages doing what the European leaders tell them to.

• Advertisement

What about Dail eireann and government buildings. They are going to be not in use for 6 weeks now.

Plenty of sleeping done here and a well stocked bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Malone the NGO a big part of the problem in this country trying to muddy the waters

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Good. The more damage these gombeens do the better it'll be in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

It's inevitable.

But I hope we retain our identity and culture. I'm sure we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

"Problematic" was the word Martin used today about the lads arriving from outside Europe, seems like the threat of being sent to Rwanda is making them decide to come here now instead of what was usually their preferred option which was the UK.

O Gorman promising them a house after 4 months didn't really help either, bet he's wishing he kept his gob shut now that all his big plans are crashing and burning around him.

I think its the urban areas that will feel the brunt of this, kinda glad I live in a small village that wouldn't be a place they would want to send these guys to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The minute the UK mentioned the Rwanda plan our Government should have tightened border controls of course they didn't and kept the welcome mat open for all to come. Also fed up listen to them say we can't put a cap on it because of the EU. That's bullshit just tell them no more the same with when they came after the Corporation tax rate tell them no! Absolutely spineless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Remember that time we postulated that O'Gorman's insane gurantee would multiply the numbers of "asylum seekers" to disastrous levels?

That Mcentee's insane amnesty would add to the same?

Of course at the time we were wrong and racist and ignorant and scare mongering and every other thing.

And now we have the Calais Jungle in our capital city.

On the subject of Ireland and mass immigration, I have never been so depressed to be proven right so consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

All true but watch the Progressives try and obsfucate, call anyone that questions policy “racist”, and of course scream to the heavens about the Far Right being “On the March”.

I’ve asked this before, but don’t Progessives ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

They will move the goalposts from It's not going to happen to it has happen but it's not a problem. They will never admit that what they did is wrong, not even when the inevitable happens.

Advertisement