Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

It is absolutely factual that Germany, the only EU Member State that specifically records these statistics, has had issues with asylum claimants returning to their country of origin for visits and it is absolutely factual that Merkel has commented firmly on this phenomenon in the German press. It is equally factual that your representation of the Government’s plans to end Direct Provision by placing asylum claimants on “local authority housing lists, bumping up the figures of “homelessness”, is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

How so? Using your logic, some indigenous Irish person whose bloodline goes all the way back to the stone age settlers in Ireland 9000 years ago is sleeping on a street tonight while an immigrant is on Irish land sleeping soundly and comfortably. That indigenous Irish person has a bloodline going back 9000 years on this land! And then an eastern european came into his land and took up housing and facilities while he is sleeping on the street in the rain!!! If he went to Poland he wouldn't get the same treatment!!! His bloodline goes back 9000 years! His ancestors were using stone age tools on this land. The government needs to look after the indigenous Irish and start the deportations of the immigrants!!! His bloodline goes back 9000 years and you've just been on this land for a few years at most!!!!! I can see why you think Helen McEntee has a lot to answer for!!! This country is going to the dogs!!

Again.. the above is using your logic. Correct me if im wrong here, I'm happy to be corrected. I don't agree with the above sentiments one bit but sadly they are espoused by a fractional minority of people.

So what if that poster is or isnt a migrant themselves?

I`d bet thousands upon thousands of Irish emigrants who left after the GFC to places like Canada, UK, Australia etc did their research on returning home in the following years and if their timing wasnt exactly right they would have seen a housing crisis and how unaffordable the move would be. There would be no own door accommodation, no direct provision/accommodation and money thrown at them to return home. Those people saved Ireland money by working abroad instead of claiming the dole. I bet they werent flying through various countries doing asylum/welfare shopping either. They worked for visas and in some cases citizenship.

Not only that but I bet many of the migrants already living in Ireland would likely prefer a lower cost of living and a sustainable migration rate.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Irish citizens absolutely have more right to welfare and support here than anyone from anywhere else.

And yes they should come first.

Yes I think we should do what we can for Ukraine. Seems like they would prefer weapons to hand outs in fairness. Our money goes further in Ukraine and in eastern Europe than it does here. If we are putting them in tents anyway because of the accommodation crisis then our money is better spent abroad. For their sake and ours. It's also no use destroying our tourism industry as it will lower the countries income meaning less money to pay for the debt for all of this!

"Ukrainian" refugees stats from our own government are 30% Ukrainians. 70% are not....what are they so?? fraudsters? Welfare shoppers? Illegals?

Then there is the environmental aspect of cramming the country. I see many of the same posters championing limitless migration while calling for Ireland to be rewilded and for all to become vegetarians or to eat insects. You aren't doing your causes any favours.

Headcases actually

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I`d bet thousands up thousands of Irish emigrants who left after the GFC to places like Canada, UK, Australia etc did their research on returning home in the following years and if their timing wasnt exactly right they would have seen a housing crisis and how unaffordable the move would be. There would be no own door accommodation, no direct provision/accommodation and money thrown at them to return home. Those people saved Ireland money by working abroad instead of claiming the dole. I bet they werent flying through various countries doing asylum/welfare shopping either. They worked for visas and in some cases citizenship.

Exactly! Circa 300k were forced into exile. Yet during the decade that followed the pipeline for for immigration kept flowing> In effect they were replaced by cheaper "non voting" labour. Not only were these exiles off the dole but were also compelled to send funds back to pay off debts incurred in the GFC debacle. Salt in the wounds> Both Martin and Ryan were in Cabinet at the time>>yet here they are in power again. Who can forget that clown Noonan calling it a lifestyle choice>

Imagine a ruling class that works for the return of the thousands forced into exile not just post GFC but also those from the 80s and before...redirecting all those billions allocated to the asylum racket. Dream on>

• Advertisement

That's why they do not allow irish abroad to vote unlike many other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

More expansion of the EU is on the way. I wonder if this will lead to further growth in the cultures and nationalities here

THE EU LAUNCHED membership negotiations today with Albania and North Macedonia, a long-delayed step towards the countries joining the bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The last gasps of a rapidly dying fish. The EU is done. It’s on its arse and hoping new blood will keep the money wagon rolling. It’ll be a memory within ten years

I agree. I don’t know what it stands for any more, and it’s going to spend the next decade tying itself up in knots because of immigration

• Advertisement

Where did I say that we would need to use every room 🙄

I said there is capacity to use more than we are using now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Further steps towards the dissolution of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

Truly there is no capacity available - hotels should not be used as housing, they are part of a tourism industry that needs tourists, not refugees. They are also needed for business travelers that won't stay in hotels overrun by africans no matter how progressive they may paint themselves to be - and Ireland needs them more than the refugees because they are part of the business that actually pays for this insanity. The student accommodations are needed or students, and we need the students more than we need refugees, we can't get enough of them in some fields as it is, we don't need to make things harder.

Yeah just destroy multiple thousands livelihoods up and down the country that depend on tourism, send them all into mortgage arrears.

Sure that would be good news wouldn't it, to free up more houses for the new Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

And the worst part of it is, we can't even throw the shower of idiots we have in charge out of their Dail seats, or we could, but replace them with who? Sinn Feinn/PBP /Social Democrats? Their policy is the same as the governments, only MORE extreme.....

It really is depressing, I've given up on this country to the point that I'm now cheering on it's collapse. Let more in! Let the streets bulge with tents full of Irish and the suburbs sprawl with migrant shanty towns and let every fart huffing idiot that supports this policy face it's consequences. I've done plenty to insulate myself in ways I won't to divulge, but I will be in a place to sit back with a cocktail and laugh at Paddy's inepititude. "You get what you f"£$%ing deserve..."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,266 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What, remote learning ? You do understand the huge gulf in terms of quality education.. remote vs in person learning ? And if you don’t, jeeez.

Actually. there's more to it than simply the learning aspect. For many courses, it's the contacts/networking with other students, faculty members, and professional associations that are often just as important as the learning process itself. For quite a few people, third level education is where they put behind them the horrors of secondary school, and find themselves as adults, breaking into the new world of adult living. That's incredibly important for many people.

And you're right. Distance/remote learning falls far short of what in person learning provides... and there's a whole can of worms involved with testing, cheating, quality of work, etc.

At the end of the day though, why are Irish people expected to sacrifice their futures for the sake of other people? None of this should be happening.. and it comes down to the failure of the government to adequately run this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Then there is the environmental aspect of cramming the country. I see many of the same posters championing limitless migration while calling for Ireland to be rewilded and for all to become vegetarians or to eat insects. You aren't doing your causes any favours.

I put this very contradiction to the Greens when they came calling last election out. No answer....just grumbling. I followed up pushing for more National parks and the creation of Marine Parks which I sincerely favour....(after all we are an island nation) ....yet they just shuffled off in a huff. Father Ted stuff.

""There is a mechanism to do it and we're not the first — France and the UK would have done it at different periods in the past for similar reasons. We're not doing it forever. We will keep it under review. 

"But given the circumstances that we are in at the moment, and particularly the phenomena of the last number of weeks and in respect of those seeking international protection, I think it's a wise move to take at this particular point.""

Its as if having to get a visa is a major imposition, rather than just some admin that a huge proportion of people have to do to travel. The people impacted by this already have protection in another European country yet the NGO's are acting as if this is the most callous thing that the State could do.

The examiner is also saying that hundreds are going to be deported in the coming weeks, I'll believe that when I see it

• Advertisement

It's great to see an immigrant assimilate so much that he uses "we". I'm sure everyone on the thread agrees with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Deport Deport Deport.

5x as many as previous years.

Jesus christ this should have never been let happen.

No wonder we're using tents.

I thought there was a worldwide government conspiracy to replace white people? It's odd that the government are taking these steps if that conspiracy is true. Same thing happened with covid when we had the usual nutters talking about how the governments are trying to "control" the public and will "never give up control". Of course all restrictions were lifted. Hmmm, something to think about.

What are you on about.

Seriously have you any sensible input in what way this country is supposed to provide for more migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, we people living in Ireland, is there a problem with that? I'm not going to discuss my personal circumstances so you can let it go.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blindjustice threadbanned

Well, two points, although I suspect you'll ignore them.

First, the fear isn't that White people would be replaced, but rather that immigrants would be brought in, changing the demographics of the nation significantly. [For some nations, the ethnic breakdown of immigrants is predominately white, but for other nations, they experience more immigration from non-whites]. Now, that might seem far fetched to you, but Denmark is a prime case study, if you can be bothered to consider their concerns. Oh, and while you're at it, you might dig a little deeper into Denmark's demographic change, and look at the negatives involved... there are quite a few.

Secondly regarding the concerns about covid and government control... while I didn't share the concerns others had, the government hasn't released all the authority it gained during that period. Organisations have been created, departments within the government have expanded, along with the funding allocated to them, which increase the reach of the government over regulation of the general population. As with most initiatives by governments, once something is brought into being, it's rarely rescinded if it continues to be useful (for whatever reason). And.. those restrictions could easily be returned if the government decides a new variant is a sufficient reason to do so. We're still in the early days of the overall covid experience, considering there is no actual cure or guaranteed protection available.

As usual though, you're assigning viewpoints held by some posters on to the majority as a way of shutting down debate, and discrediting them, as if such concerns are unreasonable. The first point about immigration replacing the native population has some validity considering a variety of national demographic shifts over the last two decades. The covid one, not so much, but any concern about governments increasing their control over a population should be examined fairly.. if we want to continue having a working western democracy, that is.

Lastly, I notice you didn't quote anyone when you shared your "thoughts" with us, so naturally enough, we can assume this is you just projecting viewpoints on to other posters... It's actually quite funny.. you started dismissively talking about conspiracies, but when you assign such views to a vague group of people, that's a conspiracy in itself.

It's not going to happen. Our amnesty will cover most of those who should be deported.. with very few being affected by deportation orders. Anyway.. considering the way immigration works here, they can easily come back to Ireland after being deported if they wanted.

The manner in which foreign groups live in this country is such a joke. So little effort to track those here and ensure that they're living as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Good piece from McGuirk:

[quote]One need only look around the country to see this in action: The towns and villages adorned with the flag of Ukraine, the tens of thousands of good faith offers of accommodation for those fleeing war, the efforts to make our Ukrainian guests feel at home. The radical, very online nationalist will decry all these things as evidence of some kind of globally imposed, top-down strategy. The truth is that in almost all cases, this welcome has been a bottom-up one, and that people have been proud to “do their bit”.

This is not a national characteristic that we should decry. On balance it says something good about us as a country that we have never yet had an electorally successful, radically anti-immigration movement. We are a trusting people, and a kind people. What we have, we are willing to share with those less fortunate, and in need.[/quote]

Note he dismisses the conspiracy theory spouted by some on here that mass immigration is all the doing of NGO's.

https://gript.ie/government-hate-speech-migrants/

• Advertisement

And even if the government were serious about tightening controls I wonder what sector will carry this out.

Sure look at the sh#t show Dublin Airport is at the moment. Not enough trained staff was the excuse.

God only knows what kind of restrictions are in place at the moment.

Advertisement