Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. We had enough feral animals of our own, but we went and imported more. Diversity is our strength. Though try and find Asian young adults doing similar, or for that matter Muslim young adults.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Absolutely sickening. Let's see the liberals attempt to defend that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hi_thur_folks

I’ll give you a day in the life.

Every morning I get up for work and go into my full time job where I am earning 40% less than I did before Covid. I’ve had to get an overdraft and I’m earning under the living wage. I am educated and have worked many different types of jobs slowly building up to a wage that is ‘ok’, but I’m hoping in time experience will increase that.
    I come from a humble background and neither of my parents have degrees but are hardworking self employed.

On my way there and back to the Dart station. My path is blocked by groups of Roma, large families that stay in the hostels along each side. I have to step out into the traffic lane to avoid them. With Covid it’s extremely frustrating. Also they don’t wear masks.

The men congregate on a nearby street at night, just hanging out and are actually no problem at all. I understand they don’t really have an alternative living in emergency accom. And there is space to go around them. But the paths are too narrow for 10+ people to travel in tandem, which happens every day at rush hour times when the hostels let them in and out. The rest of us have to swerve for our own concerns. One day somebody will get knocked down.

During schools hours I pass by a multicultural primary school. Then the dub mammies also clog up the street! I see women with buggies and multiple kids and think - how can they afford that? I hope I can walk my kids to school one day. Then I think of my colleague who drops her kids to crèche at 7am every morning.

Then I get on the Dart mostly people travelling to work too. All colours - including Roma’s who in a couple of hours time when I’m walking to the supermarket to find the cheapest lunch possible, shake their cups and ask me for change.

After a long shift which I was expected to finish at 6pm, became 8pm. I agreed to start earlier tomorrow in order to get an important project over the line.

On the way home I go back up ‘that street’, the hostels are back open. Again I swerve to avoid families returning to their homes for a night. On my right there are 2 black lads dressed in dark sportswear with hoods up and masks standing talking to a junkie.
    Ahead of me a worried looking girl strides towards the lads looking for her fix. I watch as she crosses the road towards them. Two other guys do the same.

To my left is a mosque, it’s beside the supermarket. I only realised during lockdown cos Fridays are busier than usual and you see worshippers on their way there esp on Fridays. Almost home I pop into my local spar and say hi to the manager i chat to. He’s foreign and lovely.

At home, outside in the courtyard I can hear kids playing - Chinese and polish kids who live in harmony and have bonded during lock down.

We also have South American and German neighbours.

The most recent survey data of the area I live in says it’s the most multicultural area in Ireland (only 1/3 are Irish).
    From what I see most people are just getting on with things but all struggling in their own way. Trying to eke (spelling?!) out a living in the ways that they can. That goes for all of the people I’ve referenced above - including me.

What I detest are people online telling me that because of my skin colour that I am inherently racist. Eg the BLM movement and subsequent events.
    And to ‘educate myself’. Most people I see doing this are extremely privileged in the real sense and wouldn’t dream to buy a house in the area I live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It took a while for GMB to follow in Farage's footsteps and report on the channel boats, but at least they finally did.

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1290517823106813953

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Diversity is our greatest strength. That homeless Man should check his privilege and be grateful that the "New Irish" gentleman culturally enriched him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Diversity is our greatest strength. That homeless Man should check his privilege and be grateful that the "New Irish" gentleman culturally enriched him.

Just another example of another fish out of water. It’s black and white; the contrast is too great they’re not like us at all at all. We’re losing a lot of respect internationally I hope people realise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

biko wrote: »
    It took a while for GMB to follow in Farage's footsteps and report on the channel boats, but at least they finally did.

For a morning show it's more like a bloodsport recently. Very entertaining altogether.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Just another example of another fish out of water. It’s black and white; the contrast is too great they’re not like us at all at all. We’re losing a lot of respect internationally I hope people realise

Leftists refuse to admit that there are cultures that are completely incompatible with ours and letting people from these cultures into our cultures in unlimited numbers always leads to conflict and an inevitable collapse in our societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Absolutely sickening. Let's see the liberals attempt to defend that.

I don't see why you think anyone would try to defend that. Obviously the kid who filmed himself doing that is an idiot.

The usual lot on here jumping on it to have a go at multiculturalism chimed in with by others with supporting comments and thanks. This place stinks. The site is losing all sense of credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Leftists refuse to admit that there are cultures that are completely incompatible with ours and letting people from these cultures into our cultures in unlimited numbers always leads to conflict and an inevitable collapse in our societies.

People from different cultures are not being allowed in here in unlimited numbers Karate Kid.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I don't see why you think anyone would try to defend that. Obviously the kid who filmed himself doing that is an idiot.

Bit of a pattern of idiotic kids filming themselves doing that. Wouldn’t you say

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Bit of a pattern of idiotic kids filming themselves doing that. Wouldn’t you say

Obviously they don't fear any potential consequences and they're probably right.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Obviously they don't fear any potential consequences and they're probably right.

Obviously in another era they’d be considered marauders and duly kept at bay but here we are caugtt hit with our pants down. With the back door open, flapping in the breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm short on time, but here's my 2 cents worth.
    I'm English, so kind of a migrant myself in Ireland. I grew up in England and spent over 30yrs there in one of the most diverse areas of the country. I was a racist towards anyone who wasn't white when I was younger. I met people through my life that changed my outlook through school and work and today I don't think of myself as being racist. At least not as far as skin colour goes, I had many black and Indian friends over the years and more recently Eastern Europeans. Most just get along, go to work, have a laugh and a joke together.
    But... Not all. Some cultures rarely get along and never integrate. The same cultures that are responsible for the terrorism. The same culture that is responsible for the rape of upto half a million children across the UK. I've changed my mind about many people, but I've never met a Muslim who's ever changed my mind. Only ever reinforced my beliefs, and I've met more Muslim's than any other minority, probably in the thousands.
    There's a great Podcast episode of Triggernometry with Dr Ella Hill, a Rotherham grooming gangs survivor that's worth listening to.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    People from different cultures are not being allowed in here in unlimited numbers Karate Kid.

If the Govt isn't stopping them, or actively deporting them when they're asylum claims aren't denied then yes immigration is unlimited here since the Govt clearly isn't saying "No" and "You're out".

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I'm short on time, but here's my 2 cents worth.
    I'm English, so kind of a migrant myself in Ireland. I grew up in England and spent over 30yrs there in one of the most diverse areas of the country. I was a racist towards anyone who wasn't white when I was younger. I met people through my life that changed my outlook through school and work and today I don't think of myself as being racist. At least not as far as skin colour goes, I had many black and Indian friends over the years and more recently Eastern Europeans. Most just get along, go to work, have a laugh and a joke together.
    But... Not all. Some cultures rarely get along and never integrate. The same cultures that are responsible for the terrorism. The same culture that is responsible for the rape of upto half a million children across the UK. I've changed my mind about many people, but I've never met a Muslim who's ever changed my mind. Only ever reinforced my beliefs, and I've met more Muslim's than any other minority, probably in the thousands.
    There's a great Podcast episode of Triggernometry with Dr Ella Hill, a Rotherham grooming gangs survivor that's worth listening to.

You've met thousands of Muslims, none of which have made you reconsider the notion that the second biggest major world religion is personally responsible for terrorism and mass rape?

I took a look at the youtube channel you suggested and I saw the same rightwing nutjob grifters (like Sargon of Akkad) that I've seen cause people to become obsessed about anti-Muslim sentiments, conspiracy etc.

Sad when young people get caught up in that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You've met thousands of Muslims, none of which have made you reconsider the notion that the second biggest major world religion is personally responsible for terrorism and mass rape?

I took a look at the youtube channel you suggested and I saw the same rightwing nutjob grifters (like Sargon of Akkad) that I've seen cause people to become obsessed about anti-Muslim sentiments, conspiracy etc.

Sargon of Akkad is right leaning and he can be a provocateur but he isn't a swindler. yes you can argue he is obsessed by these issues but the people obsessed by a topic are more likely to spot an issue than others (the corollary is that they are prone to false positives). The point being, arguments should be considered on their own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Sargon of Akkad is right leaning and he can be a provocateur but he isn't a swindler. yes you can argue he is obsessed by these issues but the people obsessed by a topic are more likely to spot an issue than others (the corollary is that they are prone to false positives). The point being, arguments should be considered on their own merits.

Right leaning? Back in 2016 he was what I would probably consider a poster-child of the alt-right, and he doesn't seem to have changed at all since. He joined the far-right UKIP and defends Trump to an incredible degree.

He is absolutely a swindler and is radicalizing people with his often dishonest and misinformed content (White nationalist Richard Spencer agrees: https://archive.is/Zlfds).

I hope you aren't aware of his casual use of slurs and invocation of sexual assault, because I don't think any reasonable person would defend someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

How many have you met Gentlemanne.??
    I'm still waiting for you to answer the question that I asked you before. So Ins'h Allah, maybe I'll get an answer this time. So once again, how many Islamic Country's have you lived in, and for how long? or are you getting your info off the interned and media?? The very same places's you accuse other's of forming their opinion's on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Right leaning? Back in 2016 he was what I would probably consider a poster-child of the alt-right, and he doesn't seem to have changed at all since. He joined the far-right UKIP and defends Trump to an incredible degree.

He is absolutely a swindler and is radicalizing people with his often dishonest and misinformed content (White nationalist Richard Spencer agrees: https://archive.is/Zlfds).

I hope you aren't aware of his casual use of slurs and invocation of sexual assault, because I don't think any reasonable person would defend someone like that.

Alt Right is basically the same as far right. They can be hard to define but the overriding principle that defines them is the notion that some races are intrinsically superior and that they must be kept apart. Sargon does not espouse that. He is very clear about he rejects that concept. Again being a member of a party or liking Trump doesnt define your political orientation, your values do. The former head of the KKK endorsed the social democrat democat Ilhan Omar (on anti Jew grounds), but that hardly make her a white supremacist.

He said slurs but he never called anyone a slur just like Dave Chappelle. He mentioned sexual assault but he didnt invoke it. trollish but racist. Look it up.

I took a look at the youtube channel you suggested and I saw the same rightwing nutjob grifters.

You saw that in Triggernometry?
    When you are so far left, everything else looks to be so far to the right. When in reality, it's just in the centre.
    I'm not overly keen on Sargon as a person, I don't really watch any of his stuff, although I have seen some in the past.
    As for my comment on Muslim's, no I've never met a single Muslim who has done anything but reinforce my views on Islam.

I took a look at the youtube channel you suggested and I saw the same rightwing nutjob grifters.

You saw that in Triggernometry?
    When you are so far left, everything else looks to be so far to the right. When in reality, it's just in the centre.
    I'm not overly keen on Sargon as a person, I don't really watch any of his stuff, although I have seen some in the past.
    As for my comment on Muslim's, no I've never met a single Muslim who has done anything but reinforce my views on Islam.

The second biggest religion on the planet does not expressly forbid either terrorism or rape.....especially when the people being terrorised or raped, are so called "Non-Believers ,or more bluntly "Infidels ". Just ask the Yazidis,,, or the victims of the Muslim grooming gangs in England. When "ordinary" Muslims criticized isis...., they were quickly put in their place when the relevant passage in the Quran was quoted. If its not expressly forbidden in the Quran, then it's permissible. And thats the problem, while the majority of Muslims do not terrorise or rape, the one's who do can claim justification.

jmreire wrote: »
    The second biggest religion on the planet does not expressly forbid either terrorism or rape.....especially when the people being terrorised or raped, are so called "Non-Believers ,or more bluntly "Infidels ". Just ask the Yazidis,,, or the victims of the Muslim grooming gangs in England. When "ordinary" Muslims criticized isis...., they were quickly put in their place when the relevant passage in the Quran was quoted. If its not expressly forbidden in the Quran, then it's permissible. And thats the problem, while the majority of Muslims do not terrorise or rape, the one's who do can claim justification.

Let's put it this way. We keep hearing that Islam is a religion of peace and Hamas,Isis, Al Qaeda,etc disgrace Islam. YET, whenever there is a terrorist attack committed by an Islamic Jihadist NOT ONE Iman will come forward and condemn these attacks or these groups. Its all lip service about how Islam is a religion of peace [so peaceful they'll kill you if you disagree with them] and they're the actual victims not the dead or dismembered. If these groups are disgracing Islam then how come no Imam never wants to condemn them?

In every nation where Islam is the majority religion, a wave of fundamentalism has changed their progress towards equality, and rerouted it towards more traditional behavior. In each case, this has meant a return to harsher (compared to western values) treatment of homosexuals, and the place of women in society. In many cases, these changes have occurred through major support from the women themselves.

Even without dealing with the grooming gangs, rapes, and other violence from Muslims that has happened in Europe over the last two decades, the signs are there for anyone to see. Islam, regardless of which branch, has a tendency to encourage it's followers to adopt practices that are opposite to Irish/European standards.

Now, I've spent time in the M.East, and I've known many Muslims in Asia, who had spent time in Western nations, before travelling elsewhere to live with their families. I'm not anti-Islam. It's suitable to the people in the M.East and reflects their history. However, I don't believe it's suitable in the West, nor should anything which promotes Islamic religious (and cultural) behavior should be tolerated publicly. As with all religions, what people do in the privacy of their own homes, or places of worship is their own affair, in so far as, it doesn't break any laws.

The problem with Islam is that it encourages mob behavior and due to the fundamental aspect of the religion itself, and how that religion is intertwined with culture, means that fanatical adherence to the faith is far more common than other religions. In other words, yes, Islam provides a rather strong focus for those engaged in terrorism, because Islam is an ideology in addition to being a religion/culture. We had Communism/Marxism previously as a central focus for terrorism, but that's mostly gone. Islam is a central part of many such groups worldwide.

As for rape... well... Islamic structures are patriarchal societies, with elements of caste involved. Just as with India, the combination of religion and caste, does tend to encourage "men" to engage in rape.

You seem to want to dismiss it all, simply because not all Muslims behave this way. However, if you attempt to be even remotely balanced in your views while researching Islam, and the behaviors of Muslims, you will see a pattern emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's pretty amazing to see people failing to recognise it for what it is: a far right ideology.

Cordell wrote: »
    It's pretty amazing to see people failing to recognise it for what it is: a far right ideology.

What is?

Let's put it this way. We keep hearing that Islam is a religion of peace and Hamas,Isis, Al Qaeda,etc disgrace Islam. YET, whenever there is a terrorist attack committed by an Islamic Jihadist NOT ONE Iman will come forward and condemn these attacks or these groups. Its all lip service about how Islam is a religion of peace [so peaceful they'll kill you if you disagree with them] and they're the actual victims not the dead or dismembered. If these groups are disgracing Islam then how come no Imam never wants to condemn them?

Actually, many Imam's have come out , especially in the Mosques but also in pubic and condemned isis, al-qaeda . taliban etc as being "un-islamic". bearing in mind that the biggest nr of victims of isis / al-qaed / Taliban etc are fellow Muslims. Look at whats happening in Afghanistan in the present time. And it all boil's down to the fact that no matter what your view's are, you can find justification in the Quran for your action's, and that's the problem. Where you can find a passage that says that the death of one individual diminishes all of mankind, and yet another passage where it says kill the unbelievers. You have a problem.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »

Far right has lost all meaning. Everyone, who isn't obviously in the left, regardless of how centralist they really are, is pushed into the the far right. There's not really even a "right" anymore... it's just everyone who isn't leftist.

Advertisement