Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Eoin O'Broin confidently stating that anker babies should be given give birthright citizenship and that we should remove the 27th Amendment as it is racist. This is simply wrong. Over 80% of the Irish Republic voted against this in '03. This shows utter contempt for democracy.

"Let's make a clear statement here today; Ireland belongs to all of us. Not just those of us who were born here. but those people who come here, who work here, and contribute to our society."

Is O'Broin saying freeloading ones should get the boot? I doubt it somehow.

Every time I half consider voting for SF (after FF flip flopped on getting FG out of power I'll never vote for them again), then they come out with something like this that makes me realise I'll jut spoil my vote next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stateofyou wrote: »
    "Anchor babies" running wild :pac:
    "some of the laziest people on the planet"

This is biased and prejudiced language.
    Only if you choose it to be.
    It's also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't care where my neighbour comes from here in Dublin, so if Ireland goes that way too, why would it bother me?

culture, attitudes , behaviour, lanaguage that type of thing.

These people when they come en masse don't assimilate but set up variants of their homeland.

If your neighbourhood resembles that of a Somalian village with the exception of location then yeah it's a huge issue.
    Because the people who lived there before hand wanted a local culture not some rapid 10year shift just because mass immigrant happened.

That's before we discuss other knock on effects - such as the welfare state and why my taxes fund this (paying foreigners money) instead of the services I require (for example)

It may be grand for you in that you get easy access to weed and some fancy foodstuffs but it's a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As somebody else said earlier, immigration and multiculturalism are not the same thing at all.

My own view is that if immigration is controlled to allow only those in who are capable of positively contributing to the state (as well as genuine asylum seekers), then things take care of themselves to a large extent.

I don't think words like 'multiculturalism' and 'diversity' mean all that much really in this context. People who can't or won't make any positive contribution are the problem whether they are our own home-grown multi-generational dole-lifers, or the ones that have made it to the country from elsewhere. Quality of immigrant is as much of an issue, if not moreso, than quantity of immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

How can you use Australia as a good example. White Europeans nearly extinct the aborigines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

US2 wrote: »
    How can you use Australia as a good example. White Europeans nearly extinct the aborigines.
    They pretty much succeeded in the case of the Native Tasmanians through disease, false promises and outright slaughter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Truganini was her her name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

ELM327 wrote: »
    Only if you choose it to be.
    It's also true.

White europeans and their 'anchor babies' dominating countries around the world... do you also care very deeply about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The differences between humans are both good and bad.
    We travel and enjoy other cultures, but it's not until we live in a strange place that culture clashes start.
    Clashes like attitudes towards gays, toward women, towards equality, etc

If you invite 1000 Amish to live on your street, don't be surprised when they turn off the electricity.. :D

image-6.png

Call it what you want but it true . Do you think that some people that came here in the late 90s / early noughties ever had any intentions of working ? They only came here to ride the system, that system was rode to bits by people who couldn't work to warm themselves , what ever happened to getting yourself set up and financially secure before having babies. No not in Ireland where they rewarded you houses etc on the backs of the taxpayers

Do you also care about the white Irish being on the scratcher their whole lives and getting council houses to live in the rest of their lives? Because that happens too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Do you also care about the white Irish being on the scratcher their whole lives and getting council houses to live in the rest of their lives? Because that happens too.

almost everyone who posts in an 'anti illegal immigration' manor says the same things about home grown leeches. We don't need any more freeloaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Let me break it down for those in the cheap seats.

Say we have 80,000 Irish families on the housing list. The bulk of these people are currently living in private rented accommodation on HAP scheme or rent supplement. If a family in Dublin is kept on this scheme for a decade, the money spent would have been enough to build them an actual social home.

When you pour more people in, and give them preference for the housing, it keeps the Irish family in HAP longer, at a longer term expense to the country.

It also keeps the rental market overloaded with people who should be living in actual council houses, thus pushing up the average rent per unit. Supply= demand.

I'd rather Margaret Cash was given feck all, but while a forever home is denied to her, and tens of thousands like her, it keeps pressure on the private rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

almost everyone who posts in an 'anti illegal immigration' manor says the same things about home grown leeches. We don't need any more freeloaders.

Like talking to a wall as they say. There'll be someone else who pops up and says it again in a few pages.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Let me break it down for those in the cheap seats.

Say we have 80,000 Irish families on the housing list. The bulk of these people are currently living in private rented accommodation on HAP scheme or rent supplement. If a family in Dublin is kept on this scheme for a decade, the money spent would have been enough to build them an actual social home.

When you pour more people in, and give them preference for the housing, it keeps the Irish family in HAP longer, at a longer term expense to the country.

It also keeps the rental market overloaded with people who should be living in actual council houses, thus pushing up the average rent per unit. Supply= demand.

I'd rather Margaret Cash was given feck all, but while a forever home is denied to her, and tens of thousands like her, it keeps pressure on the private rental market.

Please - I know people on the scratcher since the late 90's still living in a council house and half the children are now legal adults still living at home. What were our immigration levels like then?
    Things that also contribute to the rental market pressure: Airbnb, predatory landlords.

Not sure if I missed an earlier post, anyone have a source for statistics on current immigrants dependent on our welfare system?

Please - I know people on the scratcher since the late 90's still living in a council house and half the children are now legal adults still living at home. What were our immigration levels like then?
    Things that also contribute to the rental market pressure: Airbnb, predatory landlords.

Airbnb and predatory landlords are a much much smaller issue than over dependence on social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

At least two of the answers people give are arguments against their points.

1) The fact that we have social problems here already is an argument against increasing those problems.
    2) The fact that Europeans immigrated to the Americas and Oceania and totally changed the culture also argues against the point.

Of course we do need immigration, Dublin would collapse without it. Facebook would leave. Even there there are problems with the cost of housing but high skills immigration is a good thing. The case for low skilled immigration is less obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Some of us are lucky enough to ignore the bull**** and enjoy our culture in rural soroundings such as myself.
    I left the cities and suburbia in favour of a house in the country.

People thought I was mad leaving the financial sector in 2003 when I got 500,000 k inheritance and applying for a degree in horticulture and aboriculture, same bell ends tell me I made a great choice now.
    Thinking I don't remember them calling me a new age hippy way back then...I fcking remember that alright.

You should invest all that in AIB **** off I said...I'm buying a home and some land in North Clare and getting re-educated and leaving the bright lights of the city for the star's in the Burren...

My choice, my life..

So in effect I'm living the best life, fck the begrudgers... they're paying for their stupid mistakes which some of us laymen and laywomen didn't get sucked into...

So sadly if you're stuck in the city you'll need a lot of luck and buck to get out..

NAMESTE and all that shoite

Airbnb and predatory landlords are a much much smaller issue than over dependence on social housing.

Do you have source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You cannot be predatory if you have an asset (occupancy of a premises) and sell it to the highest bidder. That's called capitalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Defend Irish families and our history. we will not end up like Sweden and France a third world swamp. Vote National Party. Asylum seekers and refugees are the enemy of Europe, wake up everyone. If they don't like our heritage then i suggest they live somewhere else. The next generation wi;; be fighting for survival if we dont act now. Shut down and burn every direct provision centre. House Irish first RTE is a virus Defund all NGO's before its too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

epo addict wrote: »
    . Shut down and burn every direct provision centre. late

People like you certainly don't help us, we're trying to persuade people, not scare them away.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Defend Irish families and our history. we will not end up like Sweden and France a third world swamp. Vote National Party. Asylum seekers and refugees are the enemy of Europe, wake up everyone. If they don't like our heritage then i suggest they live somewhere else. The next generation wi;; be fighting for survival if we dont act now. Shut down and burn every direct provision centre. House Irish first RTE is a virus Defund all NGO's before its too late
    Jaysus.

Just amazed you don't have a join data of Jun 2020 and a post count of 1.

Not sure if I missed an earlier post, anyone have a source for statistics on current immigrants dependent on our welfare system?

https://www.ihrec.ie/app/uploads/2018/12/Ethnicity-and-Nationality-in-the-Irish-Labour-Market.pdf
    well theres 4630 in direct provision living off those benefits.
    Theres 121,000 non eu nationals as of 2014

from that document :
    Acknowledging that unemployment rates are considerably higher for specific migrant groups, particularly migrants of African origin
    here is considerable variation between national groups in employment rates. Successive integration monitors have found very low rates of employment among African nationals (McGinnity et al., 2014; Barrett et al., 2016). In 2014, for example, the year of the final Equality module, the employment rate of African nationals was 37 per cent compared to 61 per cent for both Irish nationals and non-Irish nationals on average.

https://www.ihrec.ie/app/uploads/2018/12/Ethnicity-and-Nationality-in-the-Irish-Labour-Market.pdf
    well theres 4630 in direct provision living off those benefits.
    Theres 121,000 non eu nationals as of 2014

from that document :

Thanks for that.

Question, regarding the low rates of employment of African nationals. Do you think there is any bias here in Ireland in our hiring processes?

Thanks for that.

Question, regarding the low rates of employment of African nationals. Do you think there is any bias here in Ireland in our hiring processes?

in Dublin, a positive bias towards hiring minorities, in rural Ireland a bias against. It would account for some variation but id say most of the disparity is down to the African migrants themselves either through low skillset, happy being on welfare or actively choosing to participate in criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Wowsers. Where to start. Didn't get the third world feels when I was in France or Sweden. How did you find your experience while there.

As regards The National Party. Closing time feedom fighters. Afraid of change and wanting a hark back to the old utopia of Irleand of old. I grew up in the 80's. It was no utopia. Just a bunch of sheep afraid of the local priest.

Nice blanket statement on asylum seekers and refugees. Of course there's bluffers but theres also cases of people escaping brutal dictatorships. And we're part of the UN. So there.

Burn down provision centre's. What you on buck. If they're closed down use the building for some thing else in the community.

The next generation will still be doing what this generation is doing.

Rte. I'll give ya that one. Waste of money.

Your whole post sounds like you're pissed off and you blame the outsiders. You might decide one day to not live through hate. It's liberating.

in Dublin, a positive bias towards hiring minorities, in rural Ireland a bias against. It would account for some variation but id say most of the disparity is down to the African migrants themselves either through low skillset, happy being on welfare or actively choosing to participate in criminality.

I'm trying to understand this.. what is that opinion based on? There's always going to be some who aren't motivated in life regardless of race. Where do you get the information that the barrier to employment is low skillset, a happiness on welfare and a preference for a life of crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

nthclare wrote: »
    Some of us are lucky enough to ignore the bull**** and enjoy our culture in rural soroundings such as myself.
    I left the cities and suburbia in favour of a house in the country.

People thought I was mad leaving the financial sector in 2003 when I got 500,000 k inheritance and applying for a degree in horticulture and aboriculture, same bell ends tell me I made a great choice now.
    Thinking I don't remember them calling me a new age hippy way back then...I fcking remember that alright.

You should invest all that in AIB **** off I said...I'm buying a home and some land in North Clare and getting re-educated and leaving the bright lights of the city for the star's in the Burren...

My choice, my life..

So in effect I'm living the best life, fck the begrudgers... they're paying for their stupid mistakes which some of us laymen and laywomen didn't get sucked into...

So sadly if you're stuck in the city you'll need a lot of luck and buck to get out..

NAMESTE and all that shoite

You sound happy and content.

Stay safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thanks for that.

Any bias based on skin colour or a bias towards hiring qualified candidates?

Cos the first one is illegal so...your point is?

Advertisement