Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It seems the Brits have enough of Albanians arriving in boats at Dover.

I'm no fan of Varadkar but he was spot on when he mentioned Albania and Georgia, its just a pity he hadn't the balls to call it what it is and admit they come here to play the system.

Maybe little Helen can answer why over 3 thousand people have been let in here when they showed up with no passaports which they obviously destroyed and why every one of them wasn't stopped before they stepped on the tarmac at Dublin Airport.

Maybe she can also answer why checking to see if these illegals have a passport before getting off the plane has been scaled back since 2019, in other words stopped altogether going by the numbers of them here with nothing to prove who they are or where they came from.

Her appointment was nothing more than a box ticking exercise because she is clearly not able to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Enjoying the new reality show unfolding before our very eyes in our little country. I’m an Albanian get me into here !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

she comes across to me as more mentally ill than anything else , I just used her as she does seem to present herself in different places

"Kalergi plan" "population replacement" "bonos NGO" "john mcguirk" "genocide"

Not sure where to start on all that but a riveting post all the same. So you think there is a "genocide" going on and who exactly is behind it? I would love to know. People only ever hint about it on here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually if you look at most of the long term posters around here that are very concerned about no proper controls on migration/immigration, most would never have voiced any support for the likes of O'Doherty or the politicians that pass for right wiong in Ireland i.e. the religious loons that want us back to the days of Archbishop McQuade.

Look how many people around here continously voice support for some kind of fiscally conservative secular party, that is hard on crime, hard on antisocial behaviour, wants less modern PC drivel, proper points based immigration and doesn't give a cr** about who you sleep with in the privacy of your own home or whether a woman does or does not want to have a child.

I am not allowed discuss …

Eamon Ryan is a moron.

It is a wonder how the fook he manages to dress himself in the morning.

A bunch of middle aged men with tens of thousands of anti-immigrant posts between them is not representative of the wider public. Seem quite obvious but it seems like I had to point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

Yes, definitely. It wasn't like the only referendum we've ever held on a matter related to immigration resulted in a huge landslide with 79.12% voting to close the birthright citizenship loophole.

That's 1.42 million people from 1.8 million who voted. Must have been a lot of middle aged, obese men around that day.

Why do the National Party and others do so dreadfully in any elections though? Why are the same people not voting them in?

• Advertisement

Not watching, perhaps you could provide cliff notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

I can only speak for myself but I voted for bodily autonomy for women and yes for gay marriage so the National Party would not be a good fit for my overall political outook. I'd imagine a lot of people would be similar but that's only my opinion. Having concerns about immigration policies does not make a person far right.

The only actual accurate numbers we have on how the Irish public feel about immigration policy alone is that referendum. And it was an emphatic answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Because the policies the poster outlined are not National Party policies....

Many people are not cardboard cut out single issue voters, and many who feel their voices are not being heard will disassociate with politics.

The National Party do not represent me, neither do PBP or SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

"The bunch of middle-aged men are not representative of the wider public" Really?? These so-called middle-aged men (your derogatory term, but that's your style anyway) represent the ones who are not speaking out publicly but think the same thing. If there was a referendum held between now and Christmas about stopping all future emigration in its present form, what way would it go? My money would be a massive vote on stopping it. And I've yet to speak to anyone who is in Favour of emigration in its present form. All emigration is seen to be doing the present time by ordinary people is that its putting pressure on a system that was already creaking at the seams, but now is becoming infinitely worse. And Politicians know this very well, and that's why they will never allow a referendum on it.

The only thing you forgot was the "white" reference there, but we all know it is inferred.

That description above is basically to paint a picture and we all know what type of picture you are alluding to.

Hell all you are missing is a reference to how we must have a lot of time to spend cutting holes in pillow cases.

It is all just to get people to shut up.

No discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Well I would think because no one is ultra right wing just right of centre or a centrist. It's a mad idea I know. Why when people bang on about the right their not actually talking about the NP. Their using a huge net to put people in that box.

So the NP loyalists here with thousands of anti immigrant posts are not representative of the wider public? If they were then surely the NP would have a thumping majority in every election.

What NP loyalists ? Care to point out the posts I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I haven’t ever seen anyone on here claim loyalty to the National Party. I’m sure you’ll be able to post some examples and you haven’t just made that up.

I think it's because if you don't agree with them being attacked your with them. To me you just leave them alone and not give them free publicity. Bring head clown onto RTE so they make a fool of themselves job done.

• Advertisement

Oh right, nobody on boards supports the national party. lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thing is I'm not just highlighting the bad old foreigners. Even my post history and also threads I started show that.

But that aside, this is a thread on multiculturism for Ireland.

I can see positives. Hell im dating one. That is not to say everything is rosy.

I don't expect newcomers to be highly qualified, they don't have to be Doctors or Engineers, they don't have wear Guinness hats on paddy's day, or play hurling or sing Ole Ole.

I do expect them to be just ordinary and decent citizens and respect where traditions of Ireland are today. Seeing videos of fighting, reading and seeing news stories about different crimes and media only highlighting the good bits and politicians talking about the "Richness" (the buzz word to many politicians whatever it means, god knows).

I welcome everyone who comes here to contribute. They can still enjoy their own traditions once it does not hinder us as a country going forward.

But if we cant highlight the bad bits and cannot highlight what needs be fixed and the issues people have and the concerns we are only going cause more division.

People getting upset about videos or stories where it shows concern and trying to stop that just won't do anyone any favors.

Anyone can name call or slur but it wont get us anywhere.

Having genuine concerns and fears like I have read from people should be highlighted if the concern is real and genuine. It should not make people fear of being called far right or member of the KKK all of sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As I said, I’m sure you’ll be able to find plenty of examples in the “thousands” of posts. You wouldn’t have just made it up…….

I said I agree with you. Nobody on boards supports the national party.

lmao

They reframe the arguments in favour of "controlled migration" as "anti-immigrant". Then they link the false attribution of "anti-immigrant" to "white supremacism", and then the small leap to "fascist", or their new favourite phrase, "proto-fascists".

Utterly disingenuous nonsense.

Nobody is against immigrants.

What we're in favour of is controlling that migratory wave - the quality and quantity of people entering our country. That's all, the same process that applies to every other country in the world. New Zealand, Japan, Turkey, South Africa, the United States, Australia, and all the rest. They are not "anti-immigrant" either. They're just sensible.

I wouldn't vote for the National Party either, as it happens. They're not even populist, they're just stupid.

Who here has openly supported the National Party? I've yet to come across one.

Speaking of stupidity, constantly reframing people as fascists for wanting to express legitimate views on migration only spawns more idiots to support the National Party. Suppress legitimate concerns about migration, and some people will move toward the extremes, which is counter to what people want to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I just love how you chastise me for grouping people and making assertions about what others may think and then you go off and do the same thing.

There’s three things wrong with that statement. I didn’t chastise you at all, I’d have to give a shyte in order for that to happen. I certainly didn’t chastise you for putting anyone into groups, I observed how you choose to refer to different groups of people, eg referring to people as leeches and taxpayers, and three - I didn’t put you in any group, not least because of the fact that would imply you have some principled position, which I don’t think you do.

I made the point that through your own self-exclusion, by which you diminish the equal value of anyone belonging to any group which either you’re critical of, or they don’t share your views, you’re left with a very small number of people who would be interested in supporting you should you ever actually decide to do something about your views, y’know, like lobbying or running for office or any number of ideas which would engineer the kind of social change you wish to bring about.

The kind of thing that the people who don’t share your views do already, which is why their views are more influential in Government and social policy than yours which will never be heard outside of the echo chambers of social media.

Your point can easily be summarised as basically people should have the freedom to criticise, without being criticised themselves for doing so, which is where the idea of whether criticism that is legitimate, or otherwise, comes from. Naturally enough people making the criticisms are biased in favour of their own criticisms being legitimate, and deeming invalid anyone’s opinions which aren’t in league with their own.

ps - for what it’s worth, I don’t think “I’m not opposed t’immigrants, sure aren’t I riding one!” qualifies as a positive of multiculturalism, it’s definitely more on the fetishistic “exoticism” side of the argument - a superficial benefit as such, if anything 😁

Slabs of paragraphs bereft of any meaningful points, as usual. A landslide of waffle, a veritable tombstone of meaninglessness. It's just a mosaic of words...designed to confuse, perhaps? Certainly not weaved together to convince. Nobody could possibly be convinced by that. Literally nobody.

Ordinary people just don't speak like this.

They know the impact of mass immigration and multiculturalism in their own personal life. They know that it has had a real-world impact. None of this philosophical nonsense that doesn't describe the real world; post-modern obfuscation that masquerades as a good point. Maybe in a university degree and a philosophy exam, people will talk what you say, but that's all. Nobody else.

Bring the discussion back to reality man, Jesus...

• Advertisement

The only actual accurate numbers we have on how the Irish public feel about immigration policy alone is that referendum. And it was an emphatic answer.

The idea of relying on a referendum held 20 years ago in relation to citizenship is in no way an accurate reflection on how the Irish public today feel about immigration or immigration policy. It was an emphatic answer to a very specific question, and I wouldn’t assume everyone’s motivations for the way they voted were the same either, quite like the way the 8th amendment was first introduced it was a 50/50 split among those people who voted. 20 years later it was more 60/40 in favour of repeal of the same 8th amendment. Government made it clear the Irish public weren’t being asked to vote on abortion, they didn’t make it clear 20 years earlier that the people weren’t being asked to vote on immigration.

The most recent indication of the Irish people’s attitudes to immigration policy was demonstrated during the last general election when people were surveyed on the influence of various issues in the way they voted. Immigration as an influence amounted to about 1% in terms of the factors which influenced the way the electorate voted -

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0209/1114111-election-exit-poll/

Health and housing way out in front on 32 and 26% respectively; immigration? 1%

Advertisement