Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I am LGBT and I feel safer in Ireland than in my home country the Netherlands because there's way fewer muslims here in Ireland.

Of course the general rate of crime here is way higher but at least EVERYONE can be a victim of it so it's fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

That's potential hate speech. You can't say that about an entire group of people if a certain faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

In the same way as we don't deport people who have committed serious crimes. People are getting rich from the situation.

Similar to free legal aid brigade. It will never be tackled because the lawyers make a fortune from paddy or mary with 111 convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

It's not hate speech to state a simple fact. Incidence of anti LGBT views among muslims is way higher than among people of other religions in western europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ah jack your waffle is endless.

"It’s what you’d call a crisis, it’s not what I’d call a crisis."

I guess you're not playing a grand a month rent for a boxroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not, are you?

Most people aren’t, which is why I stand by my statement that because there are a small number of people who, to use your example, are paying €1,000 a month in rent for a box room (you don’t make any mention of their income or whether or not they are there by choice), is not a crisis.

How do they compare in terms of numbers to the amount of people who cannot afford to pay anything and they live in a house with their children that they cannot afford to heat or feed themselves? That’s not the vast majority of Irish households either.

I’m guessing you’re doing everything within your power to address those issues though, or you wouldn’t be on here giving me shìt.

Not even close mate, sure there were jokes made about your ‘€1,000 for a box room’ stereotype years ago, you’re hardly only copping yourself on now? 🤨

I'm glad you can make a joke of it Jack because no one who is renting is laughing.

Oh please, five minutes ago you were laughing at the thought you’d struck a nerve, now you’re back to playing the victim and expecting anyone to feel sorry for you when you realise you didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm saying that the quality of an Irish persons life isn't dependant on who's coming into the country but on who is in power in leinster house

We have controls on immigration, maybe they could do with tightening but to suggest we have none is simply untrue

Somebody in need of state support or that doesn't know English is likely fleeing a war or persecution, is your answer really just to hand them back to their country of origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What makes you come to the conclusion that they are likely fleeing war or persecution?

You have a rather bleak, almost racist, view of much of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

"Prime Minister Rishi Sunak unveiled plans to tackle the UK’s swelling backlog of asylum claims including making it harder for arrivals from Albania to stay in Britain.

The premier unveiled a five-point plan to bear down on what he called “illegal migration,” saying it’s “unfair” that people enter Britain “illegally,” because it takes capacity away from processing “genuine” claims. He also told the House of Commons on Tuesday that he’s struck a deal with Albania to cut down on the growing influx of arrivals"

The UK taking increased action relating to numbers arriving at its borders.

Wonder where they might go instead

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

How can hundreds of thousands of immigrants not reduce the quality of life in Ireland? There simply isnt the houses for them...

Where did I say there weren't controls on immigration?

I'd send asylum seekers to Rwanda.

Well there's a War in Ukraine on Europe's doorstep at the moment, there is also still one ongoing in Syria. Considering we have had an influx since the start of these wars from citizens of the above countries I made what many people would call a reasonable assumption

If you don't believe it to be true then please show me some evidence to the contrary

That's a fairly loaded question, quality of life is more affected by government decisions, it's a bit unfair to be blaming refugees on what a democratically elected government did

As for sending them to Rwanda, probably unconstitutional for a start but also Rwanda haven't been known to be the nicest of regimes for asylum seekers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where are the wars in Nigeria, Albania, Romania, Pakistan, Georgia, South Africa?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How many are seeking asylum from these places in Ireland? I'd say it's in the tens, maybe a few hundred at most. By comparison 62,000 came from Ukraine and 4,000 from Syria at last count

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

What I dont understand is why mass immigration is only being forced on the West?

India and China have massive land areas. Saudi has unbelievable wealth. Why are they not expected to take mass immigration?

I'll be honest, I think multiculturalism is an absolute disaster and it will get worse.

626 pages in and no know has really said why they think multiculturalism is good....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

3000 from Syria last time I checked and yep 60 odd thousand from Ukraine. The first were checked and we took remarkably few, the second weren't and we're now equal to Germany in per capita numbers. I'm glad we opened our doors, but we need a cap yesterday. And I'm talking about extra EU immigration into Ireland throughout, since the late 90's.

But OK let's look at recent trends. I think you may need a better abacus to work it out because it isn't "tens" or "a few hundred at most" https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/10/06/thousands-of-passengers-destroy-or-lose-passports-before-arrival-at-dublin-airport/

"The numbers arriving at the airport with no travel documents are at their highest in years. The figures for the first seven months of 2022 are already 40 per cent higher than all of last year. They are also 225 per cent higher than figures for 2018 and almost double the figures for 2019. The figures do not include people who were under-16.

The number of people claiming asylum after flying to Dublin without a passport represents 40 per cent of the 7,760 who claimed asylum in Ireland between January and July this year".

That's pretty much double the number of Syrians we took in over a ten year period.

20% of these chancers are coming from Georgia. Y'know, the place where Russians are running to for safety.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

"Multiculturalism" as a politic/social experiment is almost entirely a White Western thing. You can narrow it down further to either ex European colonies or Western European nations. Eastern Europeans are not nearly so gung ho for it. East Asians certainly aren't. Middle Easterners only want it where they do if the migrants coming in are required locally and can support themselves(or in the case of a couple of ME nations if they're indentured slaves). Note how many Muslims magically avoid going to other, often closer Muslim nations to try and get into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

For what it's worth, adding to the influx here and in Britain is the fact that Since earlier this year Germany has increased its deportations (there's no messing when the Germans start, its on a plane and out👉).. So a lot of asylum seekers/migrants aren't waiting around in the asylum centres to be picked up and either going on the run, staying in overcrowded accommodation with friends disappearing into the black economy, becoming homeless and desperate and many many are heading to Calais or other ports to jump a ferry or truck or pay the traffickers for a place in a dingy to get to Britain and here, or they source fake ID for a flight, we don't know much about these people, some economic migrants, some criminals and many damaged human beings just like the Erithrean who murdered the young girl on her way to school in Germany a week or so ago. Our borders are too porous and it's up to the government of the day to protect our borders in order to safeguard the citizens who pay them. They should keep ngo's and charities at arms length, far too many of them here overlapping all over the place imv,put a cap on what we can realistically do for genuine refugees and stop pussyfooting around chancers and economic migrants playing the refugee card, be professional and stop taking the world's ills to heart... this can't go on indefinitely it'll only end in disaster and tragedy one way or another...

Mass immigration isn’t being forced on the West any more than it’s being forced on for example the United Arab Emirates. I may be accused of cherry picking, but I just picked the UAE off the top of my head -

According to an estimate by the World Bank, the UAE's population in 2020 was 9,890,400. Immigrants accounted for 88.52% while Emiratis made up the remaining 11.48%. This unique imbalance is due to the country's exceptionally high net migration rate of 21.71, the world's highest. UAE citizenship is very difficult to obtain other than by filiation and only granted under very special circumstances.

The UAE is ethnically diverse. The five most populous nationalities in the emirates of Dubai, Sharjah, and Ajman are Indian (25%), Pakistani (12%), Emirati (9%), Bangladeshi (7%), and Filipino (5%). Immigrants from Europe, Australia, Northern America and Latin America make up 500,000 of the population. More than 100,000 British nationals live in the country. The rest of the population are from other Arab states.

About 88% of the population of the United Arab Emirates is urban. The average life expectancy was 76.7 in 2012, higher than for any other Arab country. With a male/female sex ratio of 2.2 males for each female in the total population and 2.75 to 1 for the 15–65 age group, the UAE's gender imbalance is second highest in the world after Qatar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates

Look at us, down there at the bottom 😁

Both India and China do have massive numbers of immigrants too, but they have massive populations; the United States, has the highest population of immigrants in the world -

Although the United States is outside the top 20, it still has by far the most immigrants of any other country (50 million vs. 16 million in second-place Germany).

And because of it’s massive population, the population of immigrants doesn’t come close to being even remotely noticeable in a country like China -

China comes in second last. In absolute terms, the million or so immigrants living in China may sound like a lot, but pales in comparison to the overall population of 1.4 billion.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/countries-with-the-highest-proportion-of-immigrants/

Immigration and multiculturalism aren’t the same thing, that’s why people can legitimately argue in favour of immigration, but multiculturalism isn’t something that can either be argued in favour of, unless the point is that a pluralist society is necessary to break the stranglehold of the dominant culture, be it political, religious or what have you. Obviously, that’s bad news if you’re of the dominant culture and you want it to remain that way, then immigrants aren’t just coming for the generous welfare benefits, they’re coming for your jobs, your women, and now they’re coming for your houses too! Of course if you’re an employer, a criminal or a politician (they wear many hats), then immigrants value is in the fact that they are a cheap source of human capital, exploitative labour… and the human body can carry more drugs internally than will fit in your average suitcase (I’ve been watching Nip/Tuck again!).

From an immigrants, or an emigrants perspective, the reason they come here is the same reason emigrants leave, and in 2022 there just happened to be more immigrants coming here than emigrants leaving here -

In the 12 months to the end of April 2022:

• The population increased by 88,800 persons, the largest 12-month increase since 2008.
    • There were 120,700 immigrants, a 15-year high.
    • Of those immigrants; 28,900 were returning Irish nationals, 24,300 were other EU nationals, and 4,500 were UK nationals. 
    • The remaining 63,000 immigrants were other nationals including almost 28,000 Ukrainians in the 12-month period. 
    • More people emigrated than in recent years with 59,600 persons departing the State compared with 54,000 in 2021.
    • There was a natural increase of 27,700 people in the State comprised of 60,700 births less 33,000 deaths.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2022/keyfindings/

(bold emphasis my own)

The easiest explanation as to why either immigrants come here, or nearly 60,000 people emigrate from here in just one calendar year alone, is really easy to understand - people want to make a better life for themselves, and they seek out opportunities elsewhere other than where they’re currently residing.

The problem of course for people opposed to immigration is that if they actually succeeded in cutting off their nose to spite their face, it would mean that the economy would go to the wall, no need to turn off the lights, the electricity’s already been cut off because they couldn’t get the staff. And because immigrants don’t come made-to-order, essentially Ireland hasn’t much choice but to take the good with the bad and make the best of it, which we do, for the most part. They’re not Roma, they’re Romanian, but a good example of immigrants integrating into Irish society I read recently -

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2022/1214/1341701-romanian-church/

One of the factors in immigrants choosing what country they wish to leave for is the fact that there is an existing community of immigrants from their home countries in that country already, and Ireland has many communities of immigrants from countries around the world, which together only represent about 18% of the total population.

You’d be stretching the definition to refer to Ireland as a multicultural society if you were only speaking of the presence of an immigrant population as representative of a multicultural society when culture is normally understood to refer to language, customs, traditions, values or beliefs, as opposed to just being focused on anyone’s immigration or citizenship status.

None of which are threatened by immigrants who are more often excluded from participating in Irish culture than they are invited to participate in it. If you haven’t noticed, promoting and sharing your culture with other people is the best and easiest way to keep your culture alive and thriving, rather than trying to keep it to yourself where it dies off and then you get all nostalgic for what appears lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Look you are arguing with someone that has just parroted the first usual line from the open broderes brigade.

They are fleeing wars and we have a duty to help those fleeing persecution.

When challenged and asked how many wars are there in Nigeria, Georgia, Albania, Pakistan they mention of course the go tos of Ukraine and Syria.

And besides in the grand scheme of things we take shag all from the countries you listed.

Then before you know you will be told we need them as workers, we need them for our pensions and immigration is good (with caveat that they never mention difference between the unskilled asylum seeker with no education or English and the visa holder developer with Google or the visa sanctioned nurse in the local hospital).

And before you know it they run out of arguments and besides you are just a racist.

Multiculturalism is a dreamt up word to try excuse the crock of shyte where foreigners with very diffferent cultures and backgrounds refuse to assimilate to any meaningful degree with their host societies.

They want to continue to live by their archaic laws and customs and the modern social lefties think that is ok for the rest of us and refuse to see the dangerous to our liberal and secular societies that we have achieved after decades, nay centuries of hard work.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Is it true our tax funds advertising in Albania about our international protection?

20% from Georgia would suggest about 1500 people from one of the above mentioned countries. How many of those are Russians or Ukrainians trying to get as far away from Russia as possible or coming here from Syria, Lebanon etc via Georgia? The fact that it's so much more than the previous few years suggests that's the trend

The EU has freedoms of travel and work so you can't really claim that to be immigration

They want to continue to live by their archaic laws and customs and the modern social lefties think that is ok for the rest of us and refuse to see the dangerous to our liberal and secular societies that we have achieved after decades, nay centuries of hard work.

You’re having something of an identity crisis there j. What you’re describing IS the modern left - liberal, secular and so on, originating from the French -

The terms "left" and "right" appeared during the French Revolution of 1789 when members of the National Assemblydivided into supporters of the king to the president's right and supporters of the revolution to his left. One deputy, the Baron de Gauville, explained: "We began to recognize each other: those who were loyal to religion and the king took up positions to the right of the chair so as to avoid the shouts, oaths, and indecencies that enjoyed free rein in the opposing camp".

And even in their modern context, you’re still way off -

Left-wing values include the belief in the power of human reason to achieve progress for the benefit of the human race, secularismsovereignty exercised through the legislature, social justice and mistrust of strong personal political leadership. To the right, this is regularly seen as anti-clericalism, unrealistic social reform, doctrinaire socialism and class hatred. The Right are skeptical about the capacity for radical reforms to achieve human well-being while maintaining workplace competition.

The right wing believes in the established church both in itself and as an instrument of social cohesion, and they believe in the need for strong political leadership to minimize social and political divisions. To the Left, this is seen as a selfish and reactionary opposition to social justice, a wish to impose doctrinaire religion on the population and a tendency to authoritarianism and repression.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left–right_political_spectrum

What you’re talking about certainly applies to the rest of Europe which was dominated by Monarchies, but it just has no application to Ireland which has a history all of its own, where the idea of left/right just don’t exist and have never existed, apart from your attempts to import ideas that are completely foreign to most Irish people.

Yes, everyone knows what you’re sayin’ when you’re presenting Gript Media as your source material. If it wasn’t obvious before, it should be by now that your idea of your very own islanders and Roderic’s idea of his very own islanders are two completely different groups of people. John McGuirk probably isn’t in his contact list, and that’s hardly a revelation either, but in case you don’t know what I’m sayin’ -

John McGuirk (born 2 March 1984) is an Irish writer and political commentator. He is the editor of Gript, a website that has been described as conservative, far-right, and right-wing. McGuirk is also a regular contributor to The Irish Catholic.

In the 2011 Irish general election, McGuirk ran as the New Vision candidate for Cavan–Monaghan. He received 2.4% of first preferences and was eliminated on the second count.

He was spokesman for Save the 8th, a campaign from the Life Institute, which unsuccessfully campaigned against the thirty-sixth amendment of the constitution of Ireland to preserve a constitutional protection of the life of the unborn. During the campaign, McGuirk stated "If Dublin Central is 75% yes on the day (3-1), I will never take a political job again". 76.5% of votes cast in Dublin Central supported 'Yes', and the referendum was approved by 66.4% of voters nationally.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGuirk

McGuirk is basically a nobody, like his media group.

So it's not "tens" or "a few hundred at most". Good, we're getting somewhere. Oh and this trend started a few years before the Ukraine war. Plus Ukrainians don't need reasons or excuses to come here. They can basically just show up, show they're Ukrainian and get in.

And nobody has had any issue with EU citizens or EU internal migration so you can't roll out that tangent. Again.

• Advertisement

You better tell Roderic O'Gorman that, because last year he tweeted in Arabic, albanian, Somali, Georgian, French and Urdu about the new systems explaining about claiming asylum in Ireland including help "to integrate into Ireland from day one, with health, housing, education, and employment supports at the core of the system". Well that's not going to increase the risk of attracting scammers... Now what wars are happening in Albania, India, Pakistan, Georgia again?

Advertisement