Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yes turn them back. Create a processing centre outside of Europe. Morocco or Tunisia perhaps for African migrants. Establish who is a genuine refugee and who is a migrant. Genuine refugees can be sheltered and shielded until it is safe to return home. Migrants are informed to apply through the correct legal channels and given a warning that if they try and cross illegally again they will never be permitted into Europe.

There is my plan now you tell me yours

That’s a good plan. It protects the most vulnerable - genuine refugees while weeding out the bogus asylum seekers and giving them a clear warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'd more than likely try and be respectful to my host and not burn down what they've given me. You apologists are really nothing but extremists yourself, who excuse everything under the guise of the hardship of migrants. Having it tough doesn't give you an excuse to cause chaos.

Ah, you'd simply accept inhumane conditions of unsafe squalor with grace and appreciation after being forced from your home country would you? Those disrespectful children without their parents and family, not appreciating their inhumane surroundings either, tut tut... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Yes turn them back. Create a processing centre outside of Europe. Morocco or Tunisia perhaps for African migrants. Establish who is a genuine refugee and who is a migrant. Genuine refugees can be sheltered and shielded until it is safe to return home. Migrants are informed to apply through the correct legal channels and given a warning that if they try and cross illegally again they will never be permitted into Europe.

Your idea of a field processing centre is pie in the sky nonsense imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Ah, you'd simply accept inhumane conditions of unsafe squalor with grace and appreciation after being forced from your home country would you? Those disrespectful children without their parents and family, not appreciating their inhumane surroundings either, tut tut... :pac:

What about the Greeks who live on the island and have seen it become a slum.

Do they matter? Your fellow Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Point us to one of these reports from a reputable outlet please.
    This is the information we have
    Greece's migration minister said the fires "began with the asylum seekers", but did not elaborate.
    Fires broke out in more than three places in a short space of time, local fire chief Konstantinos Theofilopoulos told state television channel ERT.

Some protesting migrants hindered firefighters who tried to tackle the flames, he said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54082201

• Advertisement

Zarco wrote: »

And your alternative is???

And your alternative is???

I'll have to think about it

Which is more than you did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You know it's quite normal in the sheer scope of the world for economic, political or climate (or all 3 for some very unlucky souls) tragedy to befall a country of people. You think it's so strange to consider this happening here one day

Well given that that the last tragedy of this nature to occur in Ireland was the great famine of the 19th century, I would describe these events as being anything but ‘quite normal’ in an Irish or broader European context.

I already outlined my thinking to you yesterday. What’s your solution? Permit every unfortunate person globally to move to Europe? Surely, you understand that this isn’t a viable option?

I'll have to think about it

Which is more than you did

Take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It was on bbc,sky news and RTÉ all day yesterday citizen so if you look at news reports on the Greek migrant camp fire from yesterday you will see the reports.

I don’t have direct links (not IT savvy)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-54082201

This is one here that you’re referring to I guess? It’s disputed who started the fires and it’s certainly disputed as to why they were started and to then add 2 and 2 and make 6 as some on here are doing by questioning fires that happened in proposed provision centres in Ireland is some leap, but not unusual from the posters engaging in that biased conjecture.

As I said even if it was some in the camp that started the blaze does that mean posters like “galway guy” there get to label them all criminals. Poor stuff in here at times that passes for debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I would like to see a Boards.ie Consensus.

Economists agree that immigration has a net positive on the economy and this immigration is surely a wonderful thing for the county.

Agree/Disagree?

It's a net positive at the immigrants expense. It's taking advantage of people who are worse off rather than training and paying someone local a living wage. The country that provides you with your cheap workforce loses any investment it put into training them.

Keynesian economists are a fraud. Everything is a zero sum game.

biko wrote: »
    This is the information we have

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54082201

Found that article myself thanks

Actually, it isn’t. Australia implemented this model on Nairu when significant volumes of boats began arriving from Indonesia.

The Italians also had a similar, albeit covert arrangement in place with Libya before Ghaddafi was overthrown. There’s precedence here that shows that this model can work.

Found that article myself thanks

The citizen - have a read of the reports and come to your own conclusion - it’s fairly obvious what happened....depressing really

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

1 thing people forget in this conversation is pt of being irish is being kind and welcoming.. so its inherent in us to let people in..rightly or wrongly.
    Its pt of being Irish, some say self-destructive but its our responsibility to teach our immigrants to be good irish people that have similar characteristics.
    May be an impossible task as i often notice 2nd generation immigrant familys are anti immigration more than the indigenous Irish.

Being honest I don’t know what the solution is, as I said earlier I think it needs an holistic approach and developing countries where these migrants are so desperately fleeing from whether economic or otherwise has to be a big part of any combination of solutions.

Simply turning them away ain’t gonna stop the tide in my view.

Being honest I don’t know what the solution is, as I said earlier I think it needs an holistic approach and developing countries where these migrants are so desperately fleeing from whether economic or otherwise has to be a big part of any combination of solutions.

Simply turning them away ain’t gonna stop the tide in my view.

Allowing them all in and then what?

The opposite of turning them back is allowing them all in

Hamachi wrote: »
    Actually, it isn’t. Australia implemented this model on Nairu when significant volumes of boats began arriving from Indonesia.

The Italians also had a similar, albeit covert arrangement in place with Libya before Ghaddafi was overthrown. There’s precedence here that shows that this model can work.

Guess that's why Donald trump tried to build a wall then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-54082201

This is one here that you’re referring to I guess? It’s disputed who started the fires and it’s certainly disputed as to why they were started and to then add 2 and 2 and make 6 as some on here are doing by questioning fires that happened in proposed provision centres in Ireland is some leap, but not unusual from the posters engaging in that biased conjecture.

As I said even if it was some in the camp that started the blaze does that mean posters like “galway guy” there get to label them all criminals. Poor stuff in here at times that passes for debate.

I stand over everything I said.

Haven't you got a PBP meeting to attend Joe?

A processing center in North Africa surely is better than nothing and simply throwing your gate wide open and hoping for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hamachi wrote: »
    I actually agree with you on your latter point. The developed world has a responsibility to help less less affluent countries to improve living conditions and strengthen economically. This isn’t solely Europe’s responsibility. North America, the Far East, and the oil- rich Gulf States also need to engage here. This approach should dramatically reduce the push and pull factors around migration that exist today.

On the former, I already outlined my thoughts on asylum seeking and economic migration yesterday. In a nutshell, create safe zones in regions where asylum claims originate and adjudicate claims remotely. Provide safe, transparent passage to those who fulfill the criteria for asylum. Conversely, economic migration is entirely skills-based. You either have the required skill set or you don’t.

we in the rich countries do indeed need to help those nations but population transfer as is currently happening , is not the answer

dvdman1 wrote: »
    1 thing people forget in this conversation is pt of being irish is being kind and welcoming.. so its inherent in us to let people in..rightly or wrongly.
    Its pt of being Irish, some say self-destructive but its our responsibility to teach our immigrants to be good irish people that have similar characteristics.

The Irish aren’t outliers in Europe in any way. In fact, we typically trend towards the median. If you ever lived on the continent, you’d know that the Irish are no more kind or welcoming than our European neighbors, nor do we have an exceptional self-destructive streak. If anything, our history has engendered a slightly more of a self-preservation instinct.

We can’t afford to be lax on migration anymore. That was fine 20 years ago when the influx was relatively minor. Today, we a compassionate, but firm approach the provides opportunities to incinerate, but also recognizes the rights of Irish people to live in a country that remains recognizably ‘home’.

The citizen - have a read of the reports and come to your own conclusion - it’s fairly obvious what happened....depressing really

Yes I did and it remains disputed exactly what happened, but yes if the evidence points to the fires being started by some in the camp that doesn’t mean all in the camp should be tarred with the same brush as “criminals” as some posters on here are doing.

Also if it’s those in the camp starting the fire just think how desperate they are that doing that is an act that they think may progress their situation. I don’t pretend to have all the answers like some on here who label the lot of them as “criminals” in a poor and disgusting fashion.

Trumps wall is a garden hedge compared to Europes border wall at Melilla

https://youtu.be/LY_Yiu2U2Ts

A processing center in North Africa surely is better than nothing and simply throwing your gate wide open and hoping for the best

Would it be better to just shoot them

That's what some people are thinking including some posters here

Still thinking about that solution?

Would it be better to just shoot them

That's what some people are thinking including some posters here

Hows the plan going or have you abandoned it altogether?

Hows the plan going or have you abandoned it altogether?

Better than your plan for refugee camps

At least I'll think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    we in the rich countries do indeed need to help those nations but population transfer as is currently happening , is not the answer

We really shouldn't "need" to anything. Charity should be a choice, not something forced upon us by European law.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I stand over everything I said.

Haven't you got a PBP meeting to attend Joe?

Oh I know you do, you’re on here night and day with the same ould guff. you label everyone in the camp a criminal because some within the camp in desperation may have started a fire, and then double down it, says all we need to know about you.

I’m not in PBP either pal.

Advertisement