Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

We are going to need multiculturalism for the sake of the Ulster Unionists in the event of reunification. Only way they'll ever accept being a part of a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

My view is that multiculturalism doesn't work. However, I do not mind fellow Europeans coming in but I think it is time to pull up the drawbridge on African and Asian economic migrants who are coming here pretending they are asylum seekers and who are adding nothing to society here in general.

Would these be the ones who leave the buggy at the bus stop and get on the bus because the SW will just give them another one?

how do you know that? you're only just registered

You don't need to be registered to read threads. One can be an unregistered reader for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Some triggered posts on here.
    Happy Juneteenth everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Macytoby

There’s a difference between multi-ethnic and multiculturalism.

Immigration needs to be limited, and restricted until current immigrants assimilate to the dominant culture. This applies for every nation right across the globe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I allready did in another thread covering the same subject

Could you repeat what you said or provide a link to that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Macytoby wrote: »
    There’s a difference between multi-ethnic and multiculturalism.

Immigration needs to be limited, and restricted until current immigrants assimilate to the dominant culture. This applies for every nation right across the globe.

In the event of Irish reunification, how much of Northern Ireland could Ireland take before Ireland is unable to assimilate the Ulster Unionists into Irish culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kivaro wrote: »
    Happy Juneteenth everyone.
    Happy Juneteenth :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Macytoby

In the event of Irish reunification, how much of Northern Ireland could Ireland take before Ireland is unable to assimilate the Ulster Unionists into Irish culture?

What a pointless, loaded question

• Registered Users Posts: 25,390 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Allowing our EU friends in has proved to be a positive for Ireland, high employment rates, compatible culture, a lot of integration and very friendly people who put roots down and contribute to the community.

Some non EU migrants such as tech workers from the states and Asia work pretty well, although integration into our customs is pretty low among among the asian community but there are no real negatives associated with such.

migration from South America, Africa, the Middle East and some west asian nations (Pakistan etc..) has proven disastrous. High Unemployment, High welfare dependance, low education, high levels of criminality, almost no integration, remunerating a lot of money to their home countries and not spending in the local economy, complete cultural incompatibility and a lack of co-operation with gardai. We were promised their doctors and engineers, we got their equivalent to 'Anto from the flats'

It’s only my situation but people whom I know, would be friendly with and who are from Brazil and every single one are free of having criminal records, they ALL work here legally, socialize here, study here, contribute and respect their environment, neighbors, opportunities, and the law. Employers include...

Apple x2
    HSE x2
    Private Health Practice x1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s only my situation but people whom I know, would be friendly with and who are from Brazil and every single one are free of having criminal records, they ALL work here legally, socialize here, study here, contribute and respect their environment, neighbors, opportunities, and the law. Employers include...

Apple x2
    HSE x2

Yes, but Mick Barry etc don't like these sorts. They seek welfare dependents because when they have their passport they're a potential vote for them.

biko wrote: »
    Now you're just acting like a troll.

Either you have something concrete to say and can back it up, or you're just being purposely obtuse and inflammatory.

Did he touch a nerve?

na1 wrote: »
    This is the same as asking: are Irish people good citizens?

It all depends on WHO is immigrating.
    The refugee who is living in a council house with a large family with no intention to find a job?
    Or the highly skilled doctor or IT professional?

There are so many highly educated refugees and asylum seekers.

People on here harp on about how so many of these people are blagging their way into the country as economic migrants. I live between 2 countries. I've befriended Sarmand, from Afghanistan, in the Netherlands. Sarmand has a PhD in Chemical Engineering. He dunks chips into a deep fat fryer and carves slabs of lamb off the rotating "elephant's leg" in the shoarma joint because he can't get his Engineering accreditation recognised in Holland. Are you trying to tell me that Sarmand left Afghanistan to come to Europe for a more lucrative and fullfilling life as a grease-monkey in a chipper?

If he was earning the same as a street trader in Kabul as a respected, educated man he would be happy.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you seen how many doctors working in our hospitals aren't Irish?

How many Philipina nurses work in our wards?

How many high paying roles in IT companies are populated with people from all over the globe?

You do realise they're all immigrants too, right?

I am a computer engineer for a large technology company in Dublin. On my team of 8 I'm the only Paddy. Suits me, I get gifts from Turkey, Brazil, Spain, India and Iran when they go home on vacation. Their wives also cook me some great stuff.

US2 wrote: »
    Is there one example in the history of the planet where different cultures have mixed successfully, think about it.

Every interracial married couple that I know.

The key word missing from your post is "legal".

Legal immigration is a good thing for an economy. It is the illegal migrants that are a met drain on resources. I really hate how people deliberately muddle the two in order to fit their agenda.

Seeking asylum and being granted it is also LEGAL immigration but you seem to think that they are all economic spongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

There are so many highly educated refugees and asylum seekers.

People on here harp on about how so many of these people are blagging their way into the country as economic migrants. I live between 2 countries. I've befriended Sarmand, from Afghanistan, in the Netherlands. Sarmand has a PhD in Chemical Engineering. He dunks chips into a deep fat fryer and carves slabs of lamb off the rotating "elephant's leg" in the shoarma joint because he can't get his Engineering accreditation recognised in Holland. Are you trying to tell me that Sarmand left Afghanistan to come to Europe for a more lucrative and fullfilling life as a grease-monkey in a chipper?

If he was earning the same as a street trader in Kabul as a respected, educated man he would be happy.

Well, presumably if his qualifications were to be recognised in Holland, he would make his living as an engineer, yes ?

And have a lucrative and fulfilling life, yes ?

One way or another, everything you've said - and we can only go by what you said - suggests straightforwardly that your friend is an economic migrant, ie
    person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

So your objection to people saying that is what, exactly ?

But really, all you have is just more of 'all the lovely grub and friendliness' BS mindset.

Thankfully, Benetton don't do passports. Yet.

Every interracial married couple that I know.

Is that why interracial couples have a higher divorce rate too maybe?

biko wrote: »
    The best way to argue for multiculturalism is by showing examples of countries where it works.

Maybe you could be less opaque and define what you mean by:

(a) multicultularlism
    (b) the benchmarks for it to be "working"
    (c) the benchmarks for it to be a "disaster"

You seem to be painting with very broad strokes and not really explaining yourself.

Are you talking about individual cases of someone from a different culture coming to Ireland and their specific experiences? If so then I can give you myriad examples.

Indian family in my neighbourhood growing up. We had a great time with them. There were 4 sons, brown as chestnuts aged from about 11 down to 4. Every Summer the father would shave their heads...not bald but hardcore #2 crew cuts. Looked cool. A lot of the local lads had the dad shear them as well in the front garden with his buzzer. And then dash off like spring lambs.

I guess the locals were actually integrating with Omar the father and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Seeking asylum and being granted it is also LEGAL immigration but you seem to think that they are all economic spongers.

Lets not pretend that the system is not flawed please. Yes it is "legal" but it's a fact that the many of these asylum seekers are telling lies to game the system. There is little or no distinction made between genuine asylum seekers who's lives are in danger and economic refugees who claim they are persecuted because they are forced to vote a certain way. I read the papers and from what I can see there is no war in Nigeria or Pakistan to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

We are going to need multiculturalism for the sake of the Ulster Unionists in the event of reunification. Only way they'll ever accept being a part of a united Ireland.

Is this the latest canard coming out of the NGO complex? In the new woke hierarchy they're planning traditional Ulster protestants will be bottom of the heap-probably analogous to how the southern whites in the US are viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Strumms wrote: »

Apple x2
    HSE x2

Thats fair, there are also a load of brazillians peddling drugs from rickshaws though, a very mixed bag on their immigration, a points system would resplve that one completely though

Big fan of immigration. EU/EEA immigration, Most Eastern European immigration, South/Central American immigration, Far East Asian immigration, Some Indian immigration, immigration from AUS/NZ, USA-Canada. That is all.

In other words no "kaffirs", "rag-heads" or "camel-jockeys" need apply, right?

You mention AUS/NZ.

Would you draw the line with "Abos" and "Maoris"?

Maybe you could be less opaque and define what you mean by:

(a) multicultularlism
    (b) the benchmarks for it to be "working"
    (c) the benchmarks for it to be a "disaster"

You seem to be painting with very broad strokes and not really explaining yourself.

Are you talking about individual cases of someone from a different culture coming to Ireland and their specific experiences? If so then I can give you myriad examples.

Indian family in my neighbourhood growing up. We had a great time with them. There were 4 sons, brown as chestnuts aged from about 11 down to 4. Every Summer the father would shave their heads...not bald but hardcore #2 crew cuts. Looked cool. A lot of the local lads had the dad shear them as well in the front garden with his buzzer. And then dash off like spring lambs.

I guess the locals were actually integrating with Omar the father and his family.
    I live in Balbriggan north county Dublin. There are also a "myriad" of examples up here. The town had to march on the Garda station to demand action regarding the African gangs that were terrorising us. The final straw for the community was a father and his young son out walking their dog was beaten up for absolutely nothing. Very easy for people who aren't living in the middle of this forced multiculturalism to defend it. No problems with migrant gangs in D4 or Dalkey and the likes.

In other words no "kaffirs", "rag-heads" or "camel-jockeys" need apply, right?

You mention AUS/NZ.

Would you draw the line with "Abos" and "Maoris"?

They are racist terms, no place for those on boards. Please stop.

Rodin wrote: »
    Should have an immigration system like Australia where only essential skils are brought in under a credit system

All asylum seeker applications should be sorted within weeks. If they're not eligible send them home

Nobody who is here only 5 years should get a passport.

Would that include the European invaders who took the place over by force and then brought in others as slaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

I live in Balbriggan north county Dublin. There are also a "myriad" of examples up here. The town had to march on the Garda station to demand action regarding the African gangs that were terrorising us. The final straw for the community was a father and his young son out walking their dog was beaten up for absolutely nothing. Very easy for people who aren't living in the middle of this forced multiculturalism to defend it. No problems with migrant gangs in D4 or Dalkey and the likes.

Hey , no need for bad news stories like this, we don't want to hear it. Can you not regale us with stories about the pizza delivery guy - bonus points if you use his name!

the German unemployment rate in general is 3.9% , 28.5% of turks in Germany are unemployed. Kebabs are lovely, but thats not a sign of integration

from wikipedia :

Theres over 57 recognised Turkish gangs operating in Germany and they are the no.1 nationality for running prostitution and human trafficking rackets.

In your opinion, why is that figure so high?

And is it a true figure as in 28.5% of the working age Turkish population (excluding housewives, retirees and the disabled)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Very easy for people who aren't living in the middle of this forced multiculturalism to defend it. No problems with migrant gangs in D4 or Dalkey and the likes.

Indeed. I live in the Blanchardstown area, but work not too far from Dalkey. The difference in the ethnic composition of both areas is immediately evident.

The entire south-east quadrant of Dublin has scarcely been touched by the high volume of immigration throughout the last two decades. To say that this area is not multicultural, is an understatement to state the least.

It's very easy to advocate for something when you know that you will never be affected by the negative outcomes. The endless stream of trite anecdotes trotted out in favour of multiculturalism, do not negate the fact that this flawed policy is having, a not always positive impact, in working class communities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Looking back at the welfare vs immigrant/refugee survey information that was posted a number of pages back, we have this snapshot of the situation in another European country with a similar sized population:
    Somalia - Somalia is the largest African immigrant group in Norway. 68% have arrived as refugees, and 30% through family reunification. Median length of residence is 9 years. Somalis have the lowest employment rate among the immigrant groups in this survey, and median income of Somalis is half that of the total population.

Eritrea - The majority (83%) of immigrants with background from Eritrea have arrived as
    refugees. They have a short median stay of in Norway, 4 years. Only 49% are employed – the second lowest employment rate among the 12 countries surveyed. They live both in densely and less densely populated areas in Norway.

Pakistan - Three out of four with a background from Pakistan have arrived through family reunification. Many have stayed in Norway for more than 20 years. In all age groups, the employment rate is lower than among the total population, and there is a significant gender gap in employment between men and women.
    This is a very bleak warning for Ireland. Even though we are told constantly that Ireland will be different when it comes to mass inward migration, many believe that it will actually be far worse here to what we are seeing in France, Sweden etc.

Regarding my own personal experiences with multiculturalism; I was very fortunate to spend a number of years in my professional life living and working in a multi-cultured society (outside of Ireland), and it was a enjoyable, enlightening experience. The reason why it was a success was because all of the participating cultures took park in work and contributed to that society. No segment were taking advantage of the other groups by not working/contributing.

Unfortunately, this is not happening in Ireland, which will lead to racial strife and a very divisive country in the years to come. It can be stopped if changes are made very soon, but I am not hopeful when we hear the leader of our country telling us that we are just "too white". Varadkar's words were despicable and they will leave an indelible negative mark on all our collective futures. The country needed encouragement during a time of massive social change with 20% of the population born outside of Ireland. Varadkar just exasperated the situation by stoking racial tensions.

Advertisement