Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Did they give a description of the scumbag ??

By not giving a description they speak volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Irish universities will have to provide breakdown of ethnic diversity among staff each year from December

Dr Ebun Joseph, a Nigerian-Irish lecturer and founder of the first Black Studies module in Ireland, said that the lack of data is a big problem, and can avoid dealing with any diversity issue within an institution.

“We can use data in the UK to show you the percentage, and you can see how big the problem is. It’s easy to capture that data, but [Irish universities could previously] hide behind ‘Oh, we don’t know’.

“They know there’s a problem and they know how powerful statistics are, how powerful data is. They know the number of students who are international students… because they need to collect international fees. So why are they not on top of foreign-born staff?”

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

TomTomTim wrote: »

I find her absolutely vile. I know someone who works in the same place as her and she is hateful.

The sad part is that by pushing diversity they're implementing racism in itself. Race shouldn't matter, regardless of population. If there is actual discrimination, then it should be tackled. However, as a natural progression within society, a minority group would be represented due to the choices of the individuals involved... not because they're pushed in to show representation. Just like Leo came to be part of the establishment, not due to his race, but due to his ambition, and commitment to his aims. He wasn't pushed into the role to show diversity.

An egalitarian or equal society wouldn't place any importance on race. But that's not enough for minorities who want to be given opportunities beyond what is commonly available. That's the real problem. The expectation that minorities receive recognition irrespective of whether there is actual racism or not.. and if there isn't any racism present, then to claim that there is.

Oh sure, there will be some preference shown against minorities depending on reputation or the social perception, but forcing acceptance isn't the same as being accepted... as Irish. Not as White, Black, Asian, etc.

With women, and discrimination, it was obvious that there was sexism involved because they'd always been present in equal numbers but excluded from many roles/rights. With racial minorities, the situation is completely different...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

We didn't have any of these problems, or consultants even 10 or 15 years ago, certainly not 20 or 30 years ago.

Invent a problem, create an 'industry', and cash in.

As always if there was no money in it for them they wouldn't be here lecturing us on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Is this even an issue? What's arong with the majority of staff at third level being white; the indigenous people of the country are white after all.

Not that I have an issue with a black person being a lecturer if they're the best person for the job.

But I find it pretty ironic that it's the British Council pushing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"the Athena SWAN Ireland Intersectionality Working Group"

Who the flip are these people and why is the higher education authority empowering them to completely screw-up our already troubled university sector?

Mary Mitchell O'Connor's brainfart of a 'jobs for the girls' scheme was but the tip of the spear (I can't believe she got away with it and I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't been litigated yet). We'll hear a lot more about this in the coming years. Crazy, crazy stuff.

Is this even an issue? What's arong with the majority of staff at third level being white; the indigenous people of the country are white after all.

Not that I have an issue with a black person being a lecturer if they're the best person for the job.

But I find it pretty ironic that it's the British Council pushing this.

It's wrong because minority groups need to be represented in all levels of government, academic, management etc, the moment a small population forms within the country. It doesn't matter whether they're lacking in the required education, experience, or haven't worked to earn the position... these minorities should be seen as part of all systems immediately.. otherwise it's racist.

Basically, minorities are more important than the majority. That's the agenda at play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I find her absolutely vile. I know someone who works in the same place as her and she is hateful.

**** her. Let her go back to Nigeria if she's not happy here. We don't owe these scumbags anything.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    **** her. Let her go back to Nigeria if she's not happy here. We don't owe these scumbags anything.

Calling them scumbags doesn't help... since you're encouraging the belief that they are victims, and that your opinion should be dismissed as being racist.

We need to move away from that kind of rhetoric. It's the reason why so many opponents of unrestrained immigration get pushed into the right wing nationalism category... they're not careful with their language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We need to move away from that kind of rhetoric. It's the reason why so many opponents of unrestrained immigration get pushed into the right wing nationalism category... they're not careful with their language.

I strongly disagree. This thread itself proves the point. Even if there was zero people making claims like his, the conclusion would be the same from the detractors. Saying "I hate immigrants" & "I want some controlled immigration" are judged very similarly by these types. No matter how moderate your message is they'll still scream extremist. There is no middle ground, just black and white.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Dr. Joseph is cashing in on her new found "fame" and has setup her own company with the stately title of "Institute of Antiracism and Black Studies Limited".

You and your colleagues can now sign up for a course: https://www.iabs.ie/ and check your white privilege.

I am a bit disappointed by the lack of diversity within the team: https://www.iabs.ie/Home/Team

I strongly disagree. This thread itself proves the point. Even if there was zero people making claims like his, the conclusion would be the same from the detractors. Saying "I hate immigrants" & "I want some controlled immigration" are judged very similarly by these types. No matter how moderate your message is they'll still scream extremist. There is no middle ground, just black and white.

Except that "these types" aren't in control. Not yet anyway. The people in control will typically be conservatives or the middle ground (traditionally the place for Irish people), and they're bowing to the screaming because they're bullied into it. By using derogatory language, you're simply encouraging everyone to dismiss you as extremists/racists. You're falling into the trap.

The exact same thing happened with men rights groups when facing feminism. They were dismissed and worse yet, gained long-lasting negative reputations because their members were goaded into being nasty back. Easily dismissed then.

Calm, logical, and well reasoned language backed up with evidence is the way to go. Joining the nutcases isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

cassette50 wrote: »
    Dr. Joseph is cashing in on her new found "fame" and has setup her own company with the stately title of "Institute of Antiracism and Black Studies Limited".

You and your colleagues can now sign up for a course: https://www.iabs.ie/ and check your white privilege.

I am a bit disappointed by the lack of diversity within the team: https://www.iabs.ie/Home/Team

no no no...........diversity dont matter now.....its only white people that are evil.

I am sure someone will think its racist now to ask where the diversity is

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If anyone sent me a cv with any of those courses under 'education' id be binning it straight away. Who would actually train to become a problem in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If the company I work for ever tried to push me or colleagues into a workshop delivered by this huckster, there would be all-out-war with HR guaranteed.

Who would actually train to become a problem in the office.

Women's studies students? A fair portion of HR graduates? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Women's studies students? A fair portion of HR graduates? :D

its like the academic equivalent of a face tattoo, talk about employment limiting. Not that people who take these courses or get face tattoos really care anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ned Ryerson

I wonder what Dr. Joseph's definition of diversity within the context of the Irish tertiary sector would be. I had lecturers from across Europe, Asia, Middle East and the US when I was at university. Not all of them shared the same gender, nationality, sexuality or religion as me. I wonder would they not be considered diverse enough?

Dr. Joseph's point about people from African backgrounds not being able to progress to professorships because of precarious employment contracts isn't a problem unique to lecturers from African backgrounds. It's widespread at third level. Young lecturers often have to travel from one university to another year after year until they secure more stable employment lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Just looking through some of them and how they have higher degrees from our colleges on some useless fookology topics one has to wonder what the flying fook is going on in our colleges when we are wasting funding on such shyte.

Like seriously ... what the fook is Trinity at these days.

Dr John Wilkins identifies as U.S.-Black and Gay. He was born in North Carolina, and grew up in Connecticut. He served in the U.S. Navy as a Cryptologist (Russian Language) from 1983-1987. Dr. Wilkins earned his B.A. from Franklin & Marshall College, in Lancaster Pennsylvania; and he earned his MA in English Literature from the L’Université de Montréal, Canada. His thesis dealt with “Goddess Imagery in the Novels of Toni Morrison”. Dr. Wilkins has recently earned his doctorate from Trinity College Dublin’s School of English where he interrogated representations of “Black Gay Male Identity in the African Diaspora”.
    Dr. Wilkins has taught on undergraduate and graduate course modules inckuding; The American Genre, Modernism, Post-Colonialism, and Romanticism in Trinity College’s School of English; Sociology Department on “Black African Voices in the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade”; UCD’s School of Social Justice on “Black Male Identity”; UCD’s Sociology Department on “Black Activism and Movements in the Black Atlantic”; Dr. Wilkins was a Moderator on Trinity College Dublin’s “Black Identity in the Americas” Conference; presented at “Sibéil’s Feminist and Gender Network Studies Conference on “Black Gay Male Identity in the African Diaspora”; and also the African Scholars Association Ireland (AFSAI) Conference on “The Black Body and White Memory”. His research interests are the intersections of gender, race, and National identity.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

HR departments of companies may employ these people. Who knows, but with belts being tightened in the Corporate world it's got to be a reasonably limited budget available for Woke quackery at any one time.

Of course the consumer of the Company's products ultimately pays for this, so all these makey uppy courses leading to BS jobs is like a form of tax on us all. We would have cheaper products if companies stopped wasting money on this, and these candidates did whatever the hell it is they are best suited to doing in life. And with AI on the way that might be the square root of F..all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Of course the consumer of the Company's products ultimately pays for this, so all these makey uppy courses leading to BS jobs is like a form of tax on us all. .
    To be fair, the Jillette razor company took a kick to their shrunken balls, after a very 'wokey-wokey the white man is bad' advert some time ago.

An $8bn sales drop and write down, that parent Co: P&G had to cover.
    TBH haven't bought any of their products since, and unlikely to ever again.

Kim Gehrig directed the advert, if you want a $Billion write down in a single quater trading, why not give her a call, or the woke Agency 'SomeSuch' (great name there lads).

To be fair, the Jillette razor company took a kick to their shrunken balls, after a very 'wokey-wokey the white man is bad' advert some time ago.

An $8bn sales drop and write down, that parent Co: P&G had to cover.
    TBH haven't bought any of their products since, and unlikely to ever again.

Kim Gehrig directed the advert, if you want a $Billion write down in a single quater trading, why not give her a call, or the woke Agency 'SomeSuch' (great name there lads).

would not buy their products either

Gave back sky sports, as did my brother and a few others I knew when this "woke" sh1t started infecting the football and darts i watched.

putting aside the fact that sky let 3 longterm, white ex professional footballers go, and replaced them , and among the replacements was a woman.

What would any woman know about playing in the PL like the men did who played the game at the top level. ?

Likewide in the darts, they hired not 1 but 2 women, one a lesbian, another box ticked to commentate on mens farts.

There is one girl who never won more than a grand in her life, never had an average over 80, giving advice on what players playing for half a million should do, players who never had averages as low as the womans highest.

What could she know about top level darts.

They have the only black player doing commentary, and he is abysmal, but kept on for some reason, I wonder why. Thankfully he is throwing some great darts lately so we will get to watch him play instead of commenting

how can you sit there and watch these sport or games and want to listen to someone who has never done it at the top levels giving advice.

Thats akin to watching F1, and having joe around the corner on the panel cause he once owned a fast car.

I have no idea if women are giving advice on the rugby yet, but it would not surprise me.

Sky will never get a penny out of me again,

And there we have it folks. The true solution to all this.

Stop funding it.

Problem solved.

HR departments of companies may employ these people. Who knows, but with belts being tightened in the Corporate world it's got to be a reasonably limited budget available for Woke quackery at any one time.

Of course the consumer of the Company's products ultimately pays for this, so all these makey uppy courses leading to BS jobs is like a form of tax on us all. We would have cheaper products if companies stopped wasting money on this, and these candidates did whatever the hell it is they are best suited to doing in life. And with AI on the way that might be the square root of F..all.

Yes, well, HR typically decides who is dropped/hired in addition to general management so it's doubtful that they'll axe themselves much. Also finance is well represented with women, especially areas such as payroll, administration, etc so if gender plays a part in sympathy for these kind of attitudes, we could see it continue for a while yet.

The biggest issue is, as you said, the consumer. Women consistently make up the largest contributors of most markets, so there will continue to be those who consider pandering to this agenda, will make women less likely to stop buying their products/services. Considering the influence that women have gained at all levels of the public service, in addition to the financing departments, along with the focus of bigger organisations like the UN towards feminism, we'll likely continue to see the woke brigade as part of society/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have no idea if women are giving advice on the rugby yet, but it would not surprise me.

Don't RTE that have one on that show with Donal Lenihan?
    The biggest issue is, as you said, the consumer. Women consistently make up the largest contributors of most markets, so there will continue to be those who consider pandering to this agenda, will make women less likely to stop buying their products/services. Considering the influence that women have gained at all levels of the public service, in addition to the financing departments, along with the focus of bigger organisations like the UN towards feminism, we'll likely continue to see the woke brigade as part of society/work.

Sooner or later what some people term "the woke brigade" end up eating themselves up.
    It is very much evident in debate about transwomen in women's sport or regarding women's only areas.
    Hell a long term massive campaigner and leader for gay rights, Martina Navratilova, was thrown under the bus because she didn't roll over enough to back blokes competing in womens sport.

Yes fooking blokes when you look at their chromosomes, their puberty, their upbringing, their physique, but supposedly women when you look at their passport or their identification cert.

The same will happen when all those lovely migrants that were recently welcomed in, especially by femisists and LGBT identifiers, start making their real feeling towards these groups openly apparent for all to see.

It is often akin to turkeys voting for Christmas.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes, well, HR typically decides who is dropped/hired in addition to general management so it's doubtful that they'll axe themselves much. Also finance is well represented with women, especially areas such as payroll, administration, etc so if gender plays a part in sympathy for these kind of attitudes, we could see it continue for a while yet.

That's market forces that's driving those changes so.

As regards the trans thing, I haven't a clue what's going on there and men changing sex and competing in women's sports is ridiculous. Women aren't asking for that are they?

Are women as consumers of sports like rugby (women seem to especially be into watching rugby), are they asking/demanding that women voices are heard analysing the game?

I think instead they should show women's sports more instead of shoehoring women onto sports analysing panels. Show the Irish women's soccer teams, the hockey teams, the camogie more often than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

would not buy their products either

Gave back sky sports, as did my brother and a few others I knew when this "woke" sh1t started infecting the football and darts i watched.

putting aside the fact that sky let 3 longterm, white ex professional footballers go, and replaced them , and among the replacements was a woman.

What would any woman know about playing in the PL like the men did who played the game at the top level. ?

Likewise in the darts, they hired not 1 but 2 women, one a lesbian, another box ticked to commentate on mens darts.

There is one girl who never won more than a grand in her life, never had an average over 80, giving advice on what players playing for half a million should do, players who never had averages as low as the woman's highest.

What could she know about top level darts.

They have the only black player doing commentary, and he is abysmal, but kept on for some reason, I wonder why. Thankfully he is throwing some great darts lately so we will get to watch him play instead of commenting

how can you sit there and watch these sport or games and want to listen to someone who has never done it at the top levels giving advice.

Thats akin to watching F1, and having joe around the corner on the panel cause he once owned a fast car.

Sky will never get a penny out of me again,

Darts doesn't count as a game. Just something to do when you're having a pint.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Darts doesn't count as a game. Just something to do when you're having a pint.

Multiple players are multi millionaires from the game, you have a prize fund in the PDC of over 70million a year,

A world champ first prize of half a million.
    Then there is sponsorship , as it is shown on not only sky sports. but ITV and BBC.

That is good money.......league of ireland soccer players would only dream of that.
    dont get me started on the gaa gaa, when grown men running around the field kicking a ball out of the hands are doing it for NOTHING.

and drink is banned in the professional game on stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I wonder what Dr. Joseph's definition of diversity within the context of the Irish tertiary sector would be. .

Same as everybody else who pushes this agenda. Diversity means less White People.

Advertisement