Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

would not buy their products either

Gave back sky sports, as did my brother and a few others I knew when this "woke" sh1t started infecting the football and darts i watched.

putting aside the fact that sky let 3 longterm, white ex professional footballers go, and replaced them , and among the replacements was a woman.

I could well be wrong, but I have a feeling that Thompson and Nicholas were collateral damage in Sky wanting to get rid of Le Tissier, but not wanting to make out that it was because he has been making a clown of himself on social media regarding BLM, masks etc and just because they wanting some fresh blood. Although a lot on this thread would probably agree with him on those issues. However, it's not as if Sky haven't done this with that panel/presenters before.
    What would any woman know about playing in the PL like the men did who played the game at the top level. ?

Likewise in the darts, they hired not 1 but 2 women, one a lesbian, another box ticked to commentate on mens darts.

I know nothing about darts, but if a woman knows her stuff and isn't just there for the sake of it then I have no issue with it. Woman's football is fairly competitive nowadays and if there playing at a high level, there's no reason why they can't read and analyse a match just as well as a man. I'd prefer to listen to Alex Scott's thought about a match any day over Jamie Redknapp.

I'd prefer if they had more journalists as pundits and not friends, family and former team mates of players and managers involved in the games they're working on.

Micah Richards who obviously was brought into Sky to give their coverage more diversity has been pretty good too.

They have the only black player doing commentary, and he is abysmal, but kept on for some reason, I wonder why. Thankfully he is throwing some great darts lately so we will get to watch him play instead of commenting

how can you sit there and watch these sport or games and want to listen to someone who has never done it at the top levels giving advice.

Thats akin to watching F1, and having joe around the corner on the panel cause he once owned a fast car.

I have no idea if women are giving advice on the rugby yet, but it would not surprise me.

Sky will never get a penny out of me again,

Sky F1 have had and still have people working for them as experts that have never driven in F1 like Ted Kravitz.

I find it odd that people get so worked up about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Same as everybody else who pushes this agenda. Diversity means less White People.
    Or for the likes of BLM, no white people at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Acosta wrote: »

I know nothing about darts, but if a woman knows her stuff and isn't just there for the sake of it then I have no issue with it.

Darts is not a sport where physical strength plays a factor.
    the PDC is a unisex code, because be you female or male you get 3 darts , the distances from the board is the same, the height of the board the same, the rules the same,

The FACT is women are not as good as the men. Yes a woman might beat a male player, but that is the rarity rather than the norm.

When you have a woman so bad that she cannot even get a tourcard, giving advice to others on what to do when she is nowhere near their level is a joke.

thats like a women from some local soccer league critizing the faults of ronaldo on tv. How can you or anyone seriously take what they say serious when you know she is there solely on her gender not her ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I notice that even the Irish cultural institution that is Nationwide has become afflicted with diversity. Tuned in this evening to see it being presented by Nigerian-Irish Zainab Boladale showcasing the cultural enrichment which we have achieved through immigration. Spare me the propaganda for once RTE. Nationwide used to be a bastion of Irish culture, not this "new-Irish" rubbish.

can someone please explain to me what enrichment we are suppose to have experienced ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

no one asked me whether we should change the face of Ireland forever in the space of 30 years.

I notice that even the Irish cultural institution that is Nationwide has become afflicted with diversity. Tuned in this evening to see it being presented by Nigerian-Irish Zainab Boladale showcasing the cultural enrichment which we have achieved through immigration. Spare me the propaganda for once RTE. Nationwide used to be a bastion of Irish culture, not this "new-Irish" rubbish.

the powers that be also now accusing Ireland of being involved in the slave trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Same as everybody else who pushes this agenda. Diversity means less White People.

It’s probably not a color thing though. It’s a thing where by accepting a great influx of migrants, they simply need as human beings help. That costs a LOT of money, millions. Well over 100 million a year, in fact over 150 million a year in taxpayers money as of 2017 on the asylum system alone....

That is payed for by OUR taxes.

Then if people are granted citizenship as maybe ‘some’ should be quite rightly... we are paying their way to set them up in life, then they have access to the jobs market, with some people here and elsewhere even advocating that qu*tas be observed by companies hiring.. :rolleyes: ie. Irish people being discriminated against.

It’s getting to the stage that Irish people will be fûcked into direct provision and their houses / apartments / property be handed to people getting off planes because ‘their need is greater’...

You want a fair society? Show the bill for that to every Irish person who was denied rehabilitative hospital treatment, denied services, housing etc...

If you’d been drinking in your local for 20 years, loyal regular customers...then one day a family started coming in and getting everything for free, you’d find someplace else to spend your money. You know that them benefitting from freebies means when you order when you pay extra... and getting a kick in the balls for your loyalty.....

Irish should be loyal to Ireland and Irish people first and foremost.... Irish in our communities in our governments, everywhere... loyalty... when we are of the ability to extend that to others.. ok, but we should be of the ability to cap it, to cut our cloth to meet our measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Powers that be (or the media) are also accusing the Irish of wiping out the Native American Indians.

The only slight relevance to this is those of the very poorest, rocking up at Ellis Island, (after their own famine) often had two choices: i) starve to death in NY ii) or get a daily bowl of soup by signing up on the spot, for the American millitias (without any prior knowledge of what orders may lie ahead).

Welfare, and free forever homes simple did not exist back then of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

can someone please explain to me what enrichment we are suppose to have experienced ?

Kebabs.

• Advertisement

no one asked me whether we should change the face of Ireland forever in the space of 30 years.

I never got the email either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is, when you create a culture where people get indoctrinated.. that they get handouts, benefits, a dig out not having contributed in any meaningful or effort-full way...or that it’s ever going to be needed, expected that they do, that culture remains... it’s going to be always there..

Powers that be (or the media) are also accusing the Irish of wiping out the Native American Indians.

Ahh well, selective interpretation of history is rather useful to push an agenda. Like, no doubt, the fact that there were Black troopers among the US cavalry, and they also served as advance scouts against the Indians. Oddly enough the Indians hated Black troopers as much as the Whites because of their brutality. Not slaves. Free men, who engaged in slavery, rape, and murder.. but acknowledging that (without dismissing it) wouldn't fit the agenda being pushed.

There is an awful rush to pass all responsibility for anything negative over to the White man (yup, feminists get their digs in there too), irrespective of other 'minority' groups involvement throughout history.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Before Covid19 i believe 70%+ of these new Irish from Africa/Asia where on the dole, i imagine it will be higher now, why are we importing people into the country who are not contributing to the nation and never likely too?
    Do we not have enough of our own Irish work shy that we need to import them from abroad?
    If we where actually getting Doctors and engineers don't think anyone would object, but that clearly ain't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hamachi wrote: »
    I’m not sure if PBP or Labour are considered major parties. However, their attempts to overturn the 27th amendment, a change instituted by the overwhelming democratic will of the Irish people, is a clear step towards unrestrained mass migration.

Sinn Fein voted for it too if i recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

To be fair, the Jillette razor company took a kick to their shrunken balls, after a very 'wokey-wokey the white man is bad' advert some time ago.

An $8bn sales drop and write down, that parent Co: P&G had to cover.
    TBH haven't bought any of their products since, and unlikely to ever again.

Kim Gehrig directed the advert, if you want a $Billion write down in a single quater trading, why not give her a call, or the woke Agency 'SomeSuch' (great name there lads).

Red Bull are the anti-Gilette

"Sports drinks company Red Bull has dissolved its so-called “culture teams” and sacked two executives responsible for injecting wokeness into the company’s policies and internal culture in response to pressure to support Black Lives Matter and adopt a progressive political stance."

da_miser wrote: »
    Before Covid19 i believe 70%+ of these new Irish from Africa/Asia where on the dole, i imagine it will be higher now, why are we importing people into the country who are not contributing to the nation and never likely too?
    Do we not have enough of our own Irish work shy that we need to import them from abroad?
    If we where actually getting Doctors and engineers don't think anyone would object, but that clearly ain't the case.

It's not even about being work 'shy' (since the Irish numbers <not immigrants> are actually quite low), it's about what work is available for them. Automation is coming in. It's already being implemented in many areas, which will further decrease the numbers of low end jobs in the employment market. I haven't seen anything to suggest there's any serious effort to reform/educate people so that they can get better jobs (less susceptible to automation), so we're just encouraging additions to the welfare system by allowing in the unskilled/uneducated.

Even if they want to work, there probably won't be the jobs for them. And it's dubious that such jobs would have provided a decent standard of living anyway, considering the living costs in Ireland are already quite high comparable to the rest of Europe. Most of these kind of jobs are focused on population centers but the population centers are the most expensive to be in... which means that they would need to be supported by the State/taxpayer.

It's so short sighted, and irresponsible. The people who push for immigrants to be allowed in aren't "saving" them. They're simply setting them up for a fall later in the future when they can't live well without constant State support. And with a shifting European economy, and the next recessions, it's questionable if the government will have enough revenue to support them.. But i guess these people just love debt as an answer.

People dependant on welfare aren't welcome to this country as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Red Bull are the anti-Gilette

"Sports drinks company Red Bull has dissolved its so-called “culture teams” and sacked two executives responsible for injecting wokeness into the company’s policies and internal culture in response to pressure to support Black Lives Matter and adopt a progressive political stance."

Ha ha, the Austrians are tough cookies, that’s for sure. Rather traditionalist in outlook (*generalisation*). Good on them. And I would consider myself a progressive, anti-trad person, but I’m also anti- these new, cancel culture “progressives”.

I once passed by the Red Bull HQ, set in the most beautiful Alpine scenery. Lucky sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sinn Fein voted for it too if i recall correctly.

SF campaigned against restricting citizenship in the referndum but a lot of their members refused to canvas for them, they knew that it was completely at odds with their core vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

What's wrong with different cultures? Wouldn't the world be boring if everyone was the same? As long as you are a good citizen (giving back to the state) then I have nothing against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hamachi wrote: »
    I’m not sure if PBP or Labour are considered major parties. However, their attempts to overturn the 27th amendment, a change instituted by the overwhelming democratic will of the Irish people, is a clear step towards unrestrained mass migration.
    The referendum passed with 79% of the electorate voting to enact the amendment, but in recent years certain powers are pushing hard for open borders.
    It'd be hard to justify a recap of such a huge majority vote just because some fringe groups are now shouting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People dependant on welfare aren't welcome to this country as far as I'm concerned.

I want that written in giant letters visible from planes arriving into airports. Its time we stopped hiding those kinds behind the majority of those immigrating here from outside the EU who are just here for a free go on the welfare gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Zookey123 wrote: »
    What's wrong with different cultures? Wouldn't the world be boring if everyone was the same? As long as you are a good citizen (giving back to the state) then I have nothing against it.

If you want to live like they do in _______. Then by all means go there and stay there. That should be the official stance everywhere when it comes to multiculturalism. We're not changing anything to accommodate you. So if you're not happy here then leave. End of.

Well, think about that for a moment. Think about the values that different cultures consider to be important, and the nuances to those values. It's not as simple as saying that different cultures are a good thing, because the culture that people live by isn't food, dancing, fashion, and such. The culture that affects people are the ways that they perceive the value of human life, the law or justice, personal freedoms, the place of government in society, or the importance of religious aspects.

So, let's take African cultures. Large parts of Africa have been heavily influenced by Islam for centuries, which means that the perspective towards the place of women in society has it's foundations within Sharia law, along with the place of children. Now, Islamic culture is, indeed, varied, but in many cases, it's a direct opposite of the place that Western culture considers itself to be. So, would you be in favor of Sharia law having direct influence over the lives of Africans living in Ireland, considering that it goes against many of our own values regarding women's rights, and perhaps, more importantly, children's rights (like child marriage or sex with minors).

People like to think about culture in the most basic of terms... as a way of ignoring that most other nations haven't developed in the same manner as the west. In many instances, foreign cultures have aspects which we would consider to be barbaric or primitive... and while we would expect that our laws, or morality would hold supreme in our countries, it's very difficult to enforce that within the confines of a persons home, or within a congregation.

And considering the way our own society is changing with a focus on everyone being more "free" to do what they want without responsibility for consequences, that will extend to foreign cultures coming in, where they will feel entitled to live however they wish... because the activists, NGOs and social media nutcases, will promise them such.

We really need to be more pragmatic about foreign culture and what happens when a sufficient population exists whereby they feel comfortable practicing their own cultural behaviors which might be opposed to ours.

So... perhaps think about your questions a little more? Since they were leading questions, as if to suggest that there was no harm involved... and yet... in reality, there are a host of problems, especially since we're talking about a wide variety of cultures...

Oh.. just to be clear... I'm not against multiculturalism, per se. I'm against this disorganised mess, which doesn't acknowledge the dangers to society over the medium-long term. I would be all for multiculturalism if there was a structure in place to encourage integration (not assimilation) and to prevent the negative aspects of foreign culture from adding to our own existing negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Different cultures are great so lets keep it that way, as opposed some standardised monoculture that, oddly enough, is only required of European cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No one thinks it's wrong with different cultures. It's just that some of us have difficulties with cultures that are homophobic, sexist, antisemitic and intolerant of other religions.
    We just don't want to them to come here and change our society. Do you?

An example:
    It's very nice to visit Turkey, most of us can agree on that.
    Would you like to live there?
    If not, is it ok for your Irish estate to be 50% Turkish?

I would agree that integrating into the community is very important (thus the problems in the UK). Your post mainly fixates on the barbaric laws of certain countries dictated by a certain religion (theocracy in all but name). Culture and religion are not the same thing and many people fleeing these countries are doing so for the same reasons you mentioned in the post. Sharia law is a buzz word always thrown around no one even knows what the laws are and each Muslim country seems to have its own interpretation. Multiculturalism brings forth different thoughts and ideas (be it in food, clothing, housing). It is good to mix and learn. Yes there are downsides too since people are not homogeneous and you will get some negatives. Do the negatives outweigh the positives? I guess that would depend on the individual. Perhaps we should start looking at people as individuals instead of natives and immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

biko wrote: »
    No one thinks it's wrong with different cultures. It's just that some of us have difficulties with cultures that are homophobic, sexist, antisemitic and intolerant of other religions.

An example:

Iran, beautiful architecture, wonderful food, would you leave your daughter alone in the market there... no.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

An example:

Just say theocracy is the issue. No country should be ruled under laws written in a medieval text. Any evidence on these immigrants wanting to change our laws? I assume you are talking about the UK where a very small minority campaigned for sharia law (without any real definition of the laws) and they were mainly natives not immigrants including the leadership of the movement. These issues are political and caused by the poor integration among the minority communities. Its a much more complex issue than "immigrants bad".

Advertisement