Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of year gathering

Options
  • 17-06-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Just looking for thoughts on this.

Our principal would like us to gather for an end of year "party" next Tuesday in the school PE hall. They have invited approx 20 people. What do people think of this seen as government advice is 6 people indoors and to limit our interactions with people.

Also I would much rather see my friends and parents and not put them at risk because of this pointless gathering.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is it compulsory? I’d be washing my hair .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We did ours on Zoom. Was great craic.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

:) At least you can mute and turn off cameras for your 'favourite' colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I organised a quiz on zoom for ours. It was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Just looking for thoughts on this.

Our principal would like us to gather for an end of year "party" next Tuesday in the school PE hall. They have invited approx 20 people. What do people think of this seen as government advice is 6 people indoors and to limit our interactions with people.

Also I would much rather see my friends and parents and not put them at risk because of this pointless gathering.

That's just against the rules. No staff in building, no visitors, no parents calling, no meetings with people.
    If one person has the virus, they;d be in a lot of bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Big NO and have a nice summer to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

TheDriver wrote: »
    That's just against the rules. No staff in building, no visitors, no parents calling, no meetings with people.
    If one person has the virus, they;d be in a lot of bother.

Haha good one. Building is open and people being forced to come to work every day of the closure. Some staff have no broadband so were told to be at their desks from 9 to 240 every day. And an extra hour a day one day a week for a croke park zoom meeting that takes place outside school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

School Insurance doesn't cover this.
    Be interesting to see what would happen if a member of staff felt unwell and had to be tested for Covid-19. Very unfair treatment of staff here.
    Haha good one. Building is open and people being forced to come to work every day of the closure. Some staff have no broadband so were told to be at their desks from 9 to 240 every day. And an extra hour a day one day a week for a croke park zoom meeting that takes place outside school hours.

School Insurance doesn't cover this.
    Be interesting to see what would happen if a member of staff felt unwell and had to be tested for Covid-19. Very unfair treatment of staff here.

Totally but that's a different issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Totally but that's a different issue!

Just say no..don't go. Either to work or the gathering. Ring your union. Not safe working conditions.
    I'd be tempted to ring tomorrow and say you weren't feeling 100% and are asking dr for advice re testing. That principal is just on a power trip. Will keep going till someone says no. Not doing that.

• Advertisement

Just say no..don't go. Either to work or the gathering. Ring your union. Not safe working conditions.
    I'd be tempted to ring tomorrow and say you weren't feeling 100% and are asking dr for advice re testing. That principal is just on a power trip. Will keep going till someone says no. Not doing that.

Or could the principal be appreciative and thanking the staff for the hard work during the year?

Or could the principal be appreciative and thanking the staff for the hard work during the year?

Eh no! Working with them has been the most stressful thing about the whole covid period. Totally unreasonable and at times bullying behaviour.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Eh no! Working with them has been the most stressful thing about the whole covid period. Totally unreasonable and at times bullying behaviour.

Really ? Such as ? If you are permanent just say you feel unwell. Leave at that.

We'll you're hardly being called in to be bullied. What did the email state? Don't need the actual thing but what is the reason for being told to come in ... it's hardly to finish your CP hours :)

How do you mean unreasonable and bullying behaviour? Sorry to pry just interested. I'm sure due to broadband your connection could have decimated to avoid bullying behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sammy2012 wrote:

Every day of the closure? No-one was supposed to be in any school until Phase 1 which was late May.

As for the gathering, I would not attend and I would email referencing the current public health guidelines and I would CC my CEC Union Rep in the email. What you allow is what will continue, stand up to the principal on this. Your own friends and family are more important than a social gathering with colleagues that can easily be done remotely.

It sounds like the principal is pretty difficult, I pity you, I've found ours very supportive throughout the closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Do you work in the gulag or something!
    Ring the Union to tell him to """"'***** xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx@#£#@#_
    and then to #@#£;£££ his ###@ ###&&& up his #@#£;#

He can be appreciative by letting them have their holiday (unless it's primary).
    That type of #### sickens me, he'd probably have them all doing distance hugs and blowing kisses at each other. Then everyone would have to take turns and say what they are thankful for....
    Before you know the post it notes will be produced.

Treppen wrote: »
    He can be appreciative by letting them have their holiday (unless it's primary).
    That type of #### sickens me, he'd probably have them all doing distance hugs and blowing kisses at each other. Then everyone would have to take turns and say what they are thankful for....
    Before you know the post it notes will be produced.

I've asked the OP what the wording of the 'invitation' was but I def wouldn't be going in if it was an order and without knowing what it was for. I don't understand why the principal wants staff in.

There was a school in Westmeath that had a staff meeting before Easter holidays - all staff forced in, principal said they got clearance from Gardai. It was posted in another thread.

Principals (some) think they are above the law and all they are teachers sitting in an office devising ways to annoy their staff. They forget that they were once teachers.

Okay just a couple of things. The "invitation" was more of a telling. The principal said they would be there even if noone else was. But yes you are right. As an adult you just say no.

Secondly yes the school has had staff in every day. Every day. In the beginning staff were all issued with letters saying they could travel. As they were essential workers. Letter signed by the principal in behalf of the chair of the board. Then used against some staff who have poor broadband and were told to be at their desk in school from 9am to 2.40pm every day.

Currently looking for a rebate on insurance due to closure.

That's the tip of the iceberg. Alot of unpleasant dealing with them over the course of the closure. All staff have suffered under their "leadership" during this period. Really has made us all think about our working situations going forward.

Okay just a couple of things. The "invitation" was more of a telling. The principal said they would be there even if noone else was. But yes you are right. As an adult you just say no.

Secondly yes the school has had staff in every day. Every day. In the beginning staff were all issued with letters saying they could travel. As they were essential workers. Letter signed by the principal in behalf of the chair of the board. Then used against some staff who have poor broadband and were told to be at their desk in school from 9am to 2.40pm every day.

That's the tip of the iceberg. Alot of unpleasant dealing with them over the course of the closure. All staff have suffered under their "leadership" during this period. Really has made us all think about our working situations going forward.

Let him at it so.

• Advertisement

Well it that case, don't go but make sure it's not just you. Your place sounds as bad as mine. It's shocking that principals are unanswerable to anyone and can treat staff any way they feel. Thankfully nothing like the above was foisted on us.

Hope he/she enjoys themselves on Tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

What a Gobsh*te of the highest order! That Principal is not fit for office and needs to be eradicated NOW.This sort of thing would not be tolerated in North Korea!
    If you have a Union and it may sound from your posts that you are an ASTI school,get onto them immediately.Your Industrial Relations Officer for your area will come to your school and meet you all.Some IR people in ASTI are extremely good.
    Yes you do need a meeting,and you need it now,you have to sort out this Gobsh*te before this situation festers any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Am just reading this now, late at night,one third of the way into our summer holidays but a year that it's almost impossible to switch off, and am really shocked by this story.

It's absolutely vital that you communicate this to your union. Vital!! That is what unions are for, that's what we all pay subs for. You can do it confidentially if that's what you're worried about but please do it!! Such appalling behaviour from so called managers, such utter disregard for the welfare of staff, has to be reported and investigated. I shudder to think a similar dictatorial style could become the norm and judging by anecdotal reports and my own experience it wouldn't surprise me. Has to be stamped out.

Advertisement