Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blackout blinds but no drilling allowed

• 17-06-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Friend in London needs some DIY help.

She is renting and drilling. etc. whatsoever allowed.

She order the Velcro blackout blinds from Ikea but got a roller blind instead - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tretur-block-out-roller-blind-light-grey-30380999/

She has complained to Ikea but massive delays over there even with correcting their own mistakes.

She doesn't have a drill but couldn't get away with it anyway as she lives right above the owners and one of them is always there.

The only thing I can think of is to use an adhesive like No More Nails on the blind she got but I don't know if it work on a steel bracket or if it is strong enough to hold the weight of the blind.

Is it back to blankets over window until Ikea can send what she asked for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I use this for my kids room in the summer and it works a treat, you just stick in on the window.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Anywhere-Portable-Blackout-Suction/dp/B00BKZLWBU

She order the Velcro blackout blinds from Ikea

You cant say that anymore.
    Its now light excluding blinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

The thing you liked to weighs 1.3Kg. I'd try a roll of double sided adhesive tape. It might work. Also, if it has to be returned, will she not have to leave it in its packaging??

Anyway, try the tape first, its cheap and she'll know soon enough if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

I use this for my kids room in the summer and it works a treat, you just stick in on the window.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Anywhere-Portable-Blackout-Suction/dp/B00BKZLWBU

She one of those and it wouldn't stay up.

My sister also has one for her kids rooms and I cannot get it to stick when I am looking after them.

You cant say that anymore.
    Its now light excluding blinds.

Oops!!!

Are you sure the "exclusion" is allowed?

• Advertisement

The thing you liked to weighs 1.3Kg. I'd try a roll of double sided adhesive tape. It might work. Also, if it has to be returned, will she not have to leave it in its packaging??

She had it out of the package before realising it was the wrong one but Ikea would still have to accept it. It is just a wrapper.

She just can't glue or mark but I think she just wants to sleep more than get a refund.

I didn't take note of the weight but I wouldn't be good at working that out anyway. Are you saying it is too heavy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Tape will pull off paint/wallpaper

mrcheez wrote: »

I believe she is willing to take the consequences when the time comes.

Only reason she didn't go out to get a drill is that the owners are always home.

An electric screwdriver would do the job wouldn't it?

Very little noise there.

mrcheez wrote: »

I've used it to hold Roman Blinds , but the tape was stuck to the painted aluminium window frame, so that probably gives better adhesion. Stayed there for years. In fact, it took a lot of work to remove the residue when I took them down.

• Advertisement

An electric screwdriver would do the job wouldn't it?

Very little noise there.

I suspect the landlord is against alterations, rather than noise.

Actually.....

I've a few of those Command Strip thingys stuck to the painted wall, and I can't get them off. I'm afraid to try too much in case I pull the paint with them. Might be worth a look..

I suspect the landlord is against alterations, rather than noise.

Both but I meant less noise so better chance to get away with it.

I was just thinking she could glue the suction pads from the blackout blanket to the window. Surprised she didn't think of that before.

Would an electric screwdriver work though?

Actually.....

I've a few of those Command Strip thingys stuck to the painted wall, and I can't get them off. I'm afraid to try too much in case I pull the paint with them. Might be worth a look..

I should have thought of that because I took a Command Hook off a wall a couple of days ago.

Came off easy enough with no marks on the wall and had been there for about a year holding some heavy things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I should have thought of that because I took a Command Hook off a wall a couple of days ago.

Came off easy enough with no marks on the wall and had been there for about a year holding some heavy things.

Mr Price has an alternative to the Command strips.
    They look the same, hold the same weight but half the price.
    I've used them and they are as easy to put up and remove as Command strips.
    Can't remember the name of them but they are in the hardware section.
    On the packaging there is note "landlord friendly" which is always a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

okidoki987 wrote: »
    On the packaging there is note "landlord friendly" which is always a good sign.

:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless the wall is block there'll be little to no noise from the drill, you won't hear it next door.

I don't think the command strips are designed to hold things that you're going to be pulling on daily. Eventually the blind will just come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

awec wrote: »
    Unless the wall is block there'll be little to no noise from the drill, you won't hear it next door.

I don't think the command strips are designed to hold things that you're going to be pulling on daily. Eventually the blind will just come off.

The brackets for blinds tend to be screwed into the window frames anyway so that negates any drilling. It's easy enough to get filler to conceal the holes if the op's friend ever has to take the blinds down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stick a series of neodymium magnets along the edges of the blind and matching ones along the window frame.
    Then you just stick the blind to the frame when you need to block light.
    Those little magnets are very strong and will hold the blind tightly to the window frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drill the wall when landlord is out. Fix the blinds then if you ever leave pollyfilla them.

This isn't a thing that will be solved by semi genius ways of attaching things temporarily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Apply the blackout closer to the light-detecting organ - wear a blackout blindfold. https://tinyurl.com/ybtr35ot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We had a temp requirement, it was black bin bags and you spray water on window I think and then put them on, then stuck for weeks, not pretty but massively affective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

She one of those and it wouldn't stay up.

My sister also has one for her kids rooms and I cannot get it to stick when I am looking after them.

If you don't make the suction pads a little damp, they won't stick. Quick rub of a damp cloth does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

This. We have blackout roller blinds in my kid's bedroom, but for naptime on sunny days we use this too and it is more effective.

The only thing is it absorbs a lot of heat on a sunny day. I have mitigated this by taping tin foil to cardboard (shiny side out) and putting it on the outside of his window.

You could just tape cardboard to the window. Anything opaque right against the window will work. It's just a question of aesthetics and convenience really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The suction pads work fine on ours. Window needs to be very clean is the only thing.

We have 3 sets of these for a holiday home.....once window is clean and the suction is wet they work perfect

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We also have those exact Gro Blinds.

They work, but it's a bit of a pain to put them up and take them down every day.

• Advertisement

If your living in the uk I would suggest amazon. They deliver so much facter than ebay.

Amazon at the moment are backed up by about a week on everything, even with Prime membership.....

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Stick a series of neodymium magnets along the edges of the blind and matching ones along the window frame.
    Then you just stick the blind to the frame when you need to block light.
    Those little magnets are very strong and will hold the blind tightly to the window frame.

Would they hold up to the blind going up and down a lot?

If you don't make the suction pads a little damp, they won't stick. Quick rub of a damp cloth does the trick.

Yess I know they need water but flipping things just won't stay on for me.

Sister has no problem with them

Advertisement