Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fix or replace Audi mechatronics unit AND clutch together?

• 17-06-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 2011 Audi A3 Sportback 1.4L TFSI with S-tronic and have issues with the gearbox (EOBD II fault code P17BF; no VAG diagnostics done yet).

I've spoken with a few companies specializing in automatic transmissions, and just got off the phone with one that told me that nearly always the underlying cause of faulty mechatronics is a worn clutch. As such, he recommended I repair or replace both the mechatronics and clutch so I don't have to come back to him in a few weeks' time for another repair, nearly doubling the repair costs: I've been quoted €1,200 for the mechatronics unit (by 2 companies) and €2,000 for the mechatronics unit and clutch, including labor and towing from my home.

Considering the car's current market value (which I estimate to be €6,000 to 7,000), any repair will be relatively expensive, but obviously I'd like to minimize costs. What do you recommend: fixing the mechatronics unit, fixing the mechatronics unit and clutch, or something else (for instance, getting rid of the car)? While the quoted prices seem reasonable to me, I'd love your thoughts on those as well, please (I live in Ireland).

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd disagree. You'd occasionally see a clutch wear prematurely as a result of a mechatronics being faulty but not the other way around. In fact I dont think I've ever seen an example of a bad clutch pack somehow damaging a mechatronics.

You do occasionally see people advising to replace both as that's kind of a cover all solution for anything that could be wrong with a DSG box. If the car hasn't got mega mileage and hasn't any noises or shudders changing gear I would be doing the clutch pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tupacamaru

I'd disagree. You'd occasionally see a clutch wear prematurely as a result of a mechatronics being faulty but not the other way around. In fact I dont think I've ever seen an example of a bad clutch pack somehow damaging a mechatronics.

You do occasionally see people advising to replace both as that's kind of a cover all solution for anything that could be wrong with a DSG box. If the car hasn't got mega mileage and hasn't any noises or shudders changing gear I would be doing the clutch pack.

That’s extremely helpful, thank you. The car has 88,000 km on the clock (which probably doesn’t qualify as “mega” for this car) and there are no noises nor shudders changing gears. So I take it you wouldn’t advise doing the clutch pack (you write “I *would* be...”, but assume that’s a typo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tupacamaru wrote: »
    I have a 2011 Audi A3 Sportback 1.4L TFSI with S-tronic and have issues with the gearbox (EOBD II fault code P17BF; no VAG diagnostics done yet).

I've spoken with a few companies specializing in automatic transmissions, and just got off the phone with one that told me that nearly always the underlying cause of faulty mechatronics is a worn clutch. As such, he recommended I repair or replace both the mechatronics and clutch so I don't have to come back to him in a few weeks' time for another repair, nearly doubling the repair costs: I've been quoted €1,200 for the mechatronics unit (by 2 companies) and €2,000 for the mechatronics unit and clutch, including labor and towing from my home.

Considering the car's current market value (which I estimate to be €6,000 to 7,000), any repair will be relatively expensive, but obviously I'd like to minimize costs. What do you recommend: fixing the mechatronics unit, fixing the mechatronics unit and clutch, or something else (for instance, getting rid of the car)? While the quoted prices seem reasonable to me, I'd love your thoughts on those as well, please (I live in Ireland).

Thanks for your help!

You need to go to George Dalton on here or contact him directly at https://www.daltons.ie/

He is the go-to guy for VAG imho, so get his opinion and diagnoses first. Too much vagueness in the ones you have.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tupacamaru

Thanks for the tip. The two mechanics I’ve spoken with, both recommended to me by acquaintances, have highly recommended Pat Cassidy/Autotranz. Any experience with them? If so, why would you prefer working with George Dalton? Thanks!

Edit: I live in the Dublin area and see that Daltons is in Port Laois, which is (way) too far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That’s extremely helpful, thank you. The car has 88,000 km on the clock (which probably doesn’t qualify as “mega” for this car) and there are no noises nor shudders changing gears. So I take it you wouldn’t advise doing the clutch pack (you write “I *would* be...”, but assume that’s a typo).

Yes, I meant wouldn't. I'm terrible for typos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for the tip. The two mechanics I’ve spoken with, both recommended to me by acquaintances, have highly recommended Pat Cassidy/Autotranz. Any experience with them? If so, why would you prefer working with George Dalton? Thanks!

Edit: I live in the Dublin area and see that Daltons is in Port Laois, which is (way) too far for me.

Let me put it this way: I travelled to Portlaoise from Galway for him to work on my car - it's just he knows VAG cars inside out: always the best way imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement