Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Down pipe shoe

• 17-06-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

hi
    just picked up this down pipe shoe. presuming they were all standard fittings """

this is a 65 mm square shoe.

i wonder is there a slightly bigger shoe? google seems to show 65 mm as pretty much the standard... the down pipe is slightly larger

definitely going to be a problem trying to get this particular one to fit , i think

thks

paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Won't the wide bit at the top fit the pipe? It'll be snug, but it doesn't look wildly different in size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Tree wrote: »
    Won't the wide bit at the top fit the pipe? It'll be snug, but it doesn't look wildly different in size

Have my doubts .. do you know , is there a bigger size If so , what size thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm confused, why are you measuring the part of the shoe that isn't going to attach to anything? Measure the inside of the top of the shoe, the part the downpipe will fit into and then measure the downpipe. If they're the same, bingo. If it's a bit tight you can always sand down the edges of the downpipe to make it fit a bit easier.

Alternatively, a wild idea I know, but just try it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

that pipe is the older type that are a bit bigger, sometimes if you cut the corners a bit you can get them to fit.

that pipe is the older type that are a bit bigger, sometimes if you cut the corners a bit you can get them to fit.

Yessssss hooray 😀 your right thanks a mill

• Advertisement

Yessssss hooray 😀 your right thanks a mill

Was out there looking at it now. Not a hope it will fit in. Very hard plastic. I think I may cut gutter back a little , to where shoe will just be Flush at the drain cover. I might get two small straight metal brackets and a couple of tapper screws , attach , and bit of clear mastic.
    Thanks a mill , knew it would not fit as it was obviously too small for down pipe.

Cheers paddy

Tree wrote: »

No it won’t

Alun wrote: »
    I'm confused, why are you measuring the part of the shoe that isn't going to attach to anything? Measure the inside of the top of the shoe, the part the downpipe will fit into and then measure the downpipe. If they're the same, bingo. If it's a bit tight you can always sand down the edges of the downpipe to make it fit a bit easier.

Alternatively, a wild idea I know, but just try it?

Thanks but it’s hard plastic and too small to fit the down pipe appreciate reply , tho , cheers paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

If I'm not mistaken, Wavin changed their sizing a number of years (maybe 10) ago. The change in sizing came after there was a big storm in Ireland and folks had to change gutters/downpipes. Now those gutters and downpipes are sized differently to whats on the market and so its difficult to find replacement parts such as what you have there. Just bad timing unfortunately. Watch out for neighbours changing their gutters and offer to take away some the old ones including turns etc. for them. It might save you in the longterm.

PS One of my white turns, (not 90 degrees) broke and I luckily found a black replacement. Still meaning to paint it white to blend in :rolleyes:

Advertisement