Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amending Lease at End of term

Options
  • 17-06-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if someone has come across something similar. Our lease comes to and end in a few weeks and one of the occupants on the lease are looking to move out, with a new person taking their place.

In our current lease, there is a clause that states a fee will be charged for assignment of a new occupant on the lease.

We have informed the letting agency of this change, however they are looking to charge the above fee for when we sign the new lease.

Is this typical practice? I would have though that as it is a new lease, and the current occupant has fulfilled their obligation by staying until the end of lease, no such fee should be charged?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you weren't changing one of the tenants I'd ask why you were bothering with a new lease as you now have Part 4 rights.

As you're changing tenants the agency/landlord might insist on a new lease in which case the person preparing the lease/doing the work will probably want to be paid for it.

You probably could dig your heals in about needing a new lease at all but that could get messy with a tenant changeover.

Advertisement