Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Must haves' you never used

• 17-06-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Found another bundle of muslin cloths when tidying up a drawer. I must have had baby brain on my third and not realised I never used more than a couple from babies one and two. Just not something we needed many of.
    Also found a baby cup and spoon set a friend swore by and gave me in the back of a press, unused. We just used normal sippy cups and our own teaspoons.

Made me wonder about all the lists of 'essentials' and unused baby stuff in home across the nation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Babies are such a money spinner. I bought a steriliser on my second. Gave it away in the box. Moses basket I bought for my eldest, but never used on the other three. Bumbo seat- bought second hand, used a bit on three babies, but wouldn’t bother buying if I had my time back.

I actually find it’s often other people who buy stuff as gifts that they feel are “must haves” but everyone’s “must haves” are different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Steriliser and bottles “just in case” ... on baby no 2 now and never needed.

The prom bit of the buggy ... neither baby will stay in it the nosy feckers hate staring at the ceiling.

Cots! 2 of the fecking things, neither of them used for the purpose they were intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Bumbo seat (the mamas and papas one). Baby shoes (before baby is even walking???!!!).

Actually even clothes for that matter before 6 months. Lmao! Mine were in sleep suits for the first 6 months!! Lol lol lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cots! Great for storing blankets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

fits wrote: »
    Cots! Great for storing blankets.

I have four cots between here and my mothers house. Two of them (one in each house) are used for storage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We were lent one of those fancy chairs that sways/rocks baby, plays music etc, she sat in it once. Bog standard bouncer was much handier.

Booties - useless, just fall off

Soothers - she didnt want one and not going to even try this time with new baby (I may eat my words on this lol)

Ollie the Owl - crap, didnt help, just annoyed us

Bottle warmer - useless (Nuk one anyway), never worked well. Redundant once we got a Perfect Prep anyway.

Hand mitts - I hate them, we accumulated loads. Even with sharp nails I think babies need their hands free, just me personally I know others swear by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Bottle warmer. Much handier to just stick the bottle in a pot of hot water.
    Similar to above, mits and booties were just a hassle. Same goes for 'cute' outfits.
    We also never used mobiles, they were just clunky and I hate that plinky plonky sound.

Moses basket, booties, cute outfits, special swaddling yokes and six out of the seven little hats I was given :P I also have a boxed up sterilizer, never used.

Multimam compresses. Expensive things but I never needed them. Lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Partner!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Soothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was on a FB group earlier where a woman was asking about nose suckers and rocking chairs, neither of which I used. Or muslins, bumbos, or probably a lot of other stiff on the 'must-have' lists. I guess I'm quite basic in a 'women have been having babies for millennia in literal mud huts' kind of way. Moses basket, sleep suits, cloth nappies, couple of toys; that was about it.

Re Muslins for my twins I never used them at all on one boy but went through gazillions with the other. Probably a thing not to buy in large quantities unless you know they are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Bumbo seat (the mamas and papas one). Baby shoes (before baby is even walking???!!!).

Actually even clothes for that matter before 6 months. Lmao! Mine were in sleep suits for the first 6 months!! Lol lol lol

Both ours lived in the bumbo for ages. Especially the oldest one.

Clothes same here baby grows all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Lucky Lou

Newborn jeans. Like who puts a new born in jeans! Mine spent the first 6 mths in babygros bar the odd outing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Bumbo seat. Used once he hated it.

Bottle warmer. He was never bothered what temperature the bottle was.

Now I had a reflux baby so had about a million muslin clothes that were on the go all the time my most essential item!

Every baby is different. Id say get the basics + then buy more depending on your baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Lucky Lou wrote: »
    Newborn jeans. Like who puts a new born in jeans! Mine spent the first 6 mths in babygros bar the odd outing!

I see you and raise you jeans at any age on a kid. Or is it just mine refuses them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Lucky Lou wrote:

I loved jeans on my baby lol, they were more like jeggings, really easy to put on and take off. I always loved putting clothes on her from about 2 months though, I just feel babygros are pyjamas and like getting her 'dressed' for the day but it's all personal choice isnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

+1 to the muslins! The raving people do about them I was sure I was missing something, never ever used them. Even with last baby who spat up a good bit I just used a hand towel.

+1 to baby jeans! I actually hate seeing babies in “real clothes”. Love them in babygros.

Moses basket was just a glorified storage unit on all 3 of mine, they all hated it, don’t think either of them had one sleep in it. Preferred sleeping on us/slings the first few months.

Video monitors. Don’t see the appeal at all. Regular old radio one has been going strong 7 yrs in this house! We briefly had a video one (bought into the hype!) and it freaked us both out so returned straight away. I don’t dispute people love them but would disagree every time people say they’re essential. Not much is really when it comes to babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

it just shows you that new mothers should never pay too much heed to threads like these, there was another one i wrote in a few weeks ago that was the same topic. All babies are so different!

I used millions of muslins and still do, we have them everywhere! they are currently fierce handy for tying round toddlers necks while they have a ice cream or for drying their feet after paddling in a stream.... we just have little stashes of muslins in the car, in the kitchen, in the buggy, in my bag, everywhere! cant live without them!

bumbo, we loved ours, was super handy when you wanted to get something done in the kitchen and the baby could sit up and play with things on the little tray and you didnt have to worry about stepping on them if they were lying on the ground, we just got ours second hadnt and have sold it on again cause its a big lump of plastic but they are very strudy

multi mam compresses, oh my god so expensive but they were my saviour, i had so much nipple pain i couldnt have lived without them!

for me, nappy bins, we bought one for upstairs and downstairs and they were never used, we ended up just going straight to the bin outside. I know others who swear by them though!

changing table, you read about how they arent needed everywhere but i didnt listen. I normal chest of drawers with a changing mat would have done the trick and would have had a longer life in our house!

I agree with the people not needing clothes and how babies live in baby gros but it was nice to dress them up for visitors and going out sometimes, especially when its your first child.

for any soon to be new parents reading this, you cant by what i or anyone else is saying to get or not get. if i was atarting out again id get the essentials, something for them to wear, sleep in and be fed with, after that, if you can hold out, wait and see what you think you need when the baby arrives and then get your stuff.

• Advertisement

@greenttc I agree with you! I think that’s what this thread shows rather than a “must have” thread, how so much of this stuff is marmite. Like soothers, someone above never used them but they’ve been essential for all my 3! One mans coal is another mans gold!

I would never tell anyone not to get anything or that they have to get something, you just tend to find what works for you really. Two friends (Who don’t have kids) asked me recently what to get new parents and the only thing I could say with confidence was Just Eat vouchers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ah! I love muslin cloths! Used them for wiping up spit up, cleaning faces, as the cloth in the bath, bibs, buggy covers, nursing covers (I used a shield with no1 and always felt uncomfortable with getting it on and baby latched without being covered, then it came off) and everything in between!

The only needs are somewhere safe to sleep, travel, nappies and basic clothes and obviously food. Everything after that is optional and up to each parent. Even similar items can make a huge difference. We were given and ergo 360 on no1, I could never wear it as it was so uncomfortable. But then I got a lilebaby baby carrier, basically the exact same shape/type of straps and its so comfortable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Muslins had mixed success here, but they weren't used after about 9 months of age.

Leggings, jeans, anything with tight waistbands in newborn size -a disaster for my very windy babies, so never used them.

Mitts, booties-still have tags on.

Any toys that talked, sang or made noise....very minimal in this house (we don't believe in them, is the main reason for that !!!).

Bumbo - had a brief loan of one for number 1, it lasted about 4 weeks, until she started twisting up and out of it to see what was going on behind her.Never bothered after that.

Storage boxes for soothers, or chains to hold them onto clothes - nope.Soothers themselves though - yes, definitely.

Buggy toys...you know the things you hang out of buggies for babies.Brief success for number 1, then decided not to bother after that - realised they are happy to sit and watch the world go by without needing constant entertainment.

The things you learn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Digs wrote: »
    @greenttc I agree with you! I think that’s what this thread shows rather than a “must have” thread, how so much of this stuff is marmite. Like soothers, someone above never used them but they’ve been essential for all my 3! One mans coal is another mans gold!

I would never tell anyone not to get anything or that they have to get something, you just tend to find what works for you really. Two friends (Who don’t have kids) asked me recently what to get new parents and the only thing I could say with confidence was Just Eat vouchers :D

And possibly engage the services of a cleaner for the first few weeks anyway.....

shesty wrote: »
    And possibly engage the services of a cleaner for the first few weeks anyway.....

You’re deifnitley my kind of friend Shesty! :D

:D I am in the lucky position of being able to afford 40eur every couple of weeks for a nice lady to help clean the house (I do it the in-between weeks - well. not since March obviously.) I never take it for granted that I can afford that mind you,it's a total luxury. Although I admit, I don't spend money on lots of stuff that many other people do....my priorities just seem to be different.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lizardlegz wrote: »

Baby clothes probably the big one here. Especially newborn and "up to one month" clothes.

3 weeks later, half of them don't fit anymore and you've got two drawers full of stuff you haven't used and won't use.

I think there's a certain market for new parents who like to dress up the baby like a doll and change outfits every 2 hours. We only change when they puke or poo on them.

We bought a buggy board this time around for the 3 year old to stand on during the school run, but of course now there is no school and she'll be way to big for the buggy board by September. Luckily it was the one from Lidl and not the insanely expensive one.

Aside from clothes we've generally done OK. Soothers have always been used, as have sterilisers. Muslin clothes are an absolute essential.
    We bought a convertible cotbed on the first which has served us well all the way through

We bought a Baby Bjorn on the first which got used twice I think; didn't see how it was any better than the pram. It didn't really get used at all on number 2.
    It's been a lifesaver this time around though, it's allowed us to take the other two on walks up the mountains without having to push a pram too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

+ newborn clothes as baby is more comfortable in babygrows. Also shoes before baby can walk

Getting minimal use from the crib at present but the next to me is a big hit

For me the tommee tippee machine as decided to breastfeed also PHN advised she seen a lot of babies with stomach issues as a result of using it as spurs build up in the tubing and cannot be cleaned properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its funny how different they all our. Our little boy adored his moses basket. Hated the crib or cot at start probably because he was so small being preterm that he liked the cosiness of it.

Also unlike everyone else I got brilliant use out of newborn stuff because he was small. I actually had to buy more. I didn't have enough because everyone told me not to buy too many but in our case we needed it!

• Advertisement

I can't believe some of you don't use muslins. At a conservative estimate I use about eleventy billion a day. I use them for everything though.

Also a useless item (to me) was a bf shield thing. For a start, I don't think it's something that people need shielding from and also a I have a light cotton shawl that's a million times easier and more comfortable to use for privacy.

Advertisement