Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More upgrade advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What do you mean "need to sort out motherboard" - did it fail recently?

That's an 8.5yr-old platform, you'll have to trawl for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What do you mean "need to sort out motherboard" - did it fail recently?

That's an 8.5yr-old platform, you'll have to trawl for a replacement.

no, but it is freezing a bit playing games and there is no usb 3 port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well the freezing could be anything. Could be a GPU issue, a RAM issue, motherboard issue, PSU issue.

When you say freeze - does the PC just lock-up or what happens exactly.

A replacement motherboard can be gotten for about €40 2nd hand but, as I said, it really could be a number of things.

Though freezing in games would typically not be a motherboard issue.

hi, was under the impression that I would need a better motherboard before I could upgrade anything else??

Well yes of course if you actually want a new CPU and a new system in general, of course. I'm confused though, you made it sound like there was a fault with the PC you wanted to fix rather than a full upgrade.

What's the budget and what is the PC used for?

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Well yes of course if you actually want a new CPU and a new system in general, of course. I'm confused though, you made it sound like there was a fault with the PC you wanted to fix rather than a full upgrade.

What's the budget and what is the PC used for?

Hi,

just looking for advice really. When I did the bench test told me that I needed to connect ssd drive to a usb3 port. When I realized that I didn't have one though It might improve with a new motherboard.

Pc is used for online gaming and studying. Could stretch to 500.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LOL you don't connect SSD drives to USB ports. They connect to either SATA or M.2.

Also Userbenchmark is useless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Before you go ahead and buy/replace anyhting, maybe outline the issue you have or the new feature you need. Then we can advise whether you need a new system etc

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    LOL you don't connect SSD drives to USB ports. They connect to either SATA or M.2.

Also Userbenchmark is useless.

Jesus. Sorry meant sata 3.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Before you go ahead and buy/replace anyhting, maybe outline the issue you have or the new feature you need. Then we can advise whether you need a new system etc

Hi. Would like to be able to play doom etc. I’m struggling to keep gta online running with crashes etc.

• Advertisement

Well the first thing is you need to identity what the source of the crash is. There's no point upgrading your motherboard/CPU and then still having crashes because your GPU is overheating, PSU is failing, etc.

What is happening when the game crashes. Crash to desktop? PC turns off? PC locks up?

An i7-2600, GTX970 and 16GB Ram would still be fine for Doom Eternal at high/ultra settings.

Homelander wrote: »
    Well the first thing is you need to identity what the source of the crash is. There's no point upgrading your motherboard/CPU and then still having crashes because your GPU is overheating, PSU is failing, etc.

What is happening when the game crashes. Crash to desktop? PC turns off? PC locks up?

An i7-2600, GTX970 and 16GB Ram would still be fine for Doom Eternal at high/ultra settings.

Freezes. Pc stops responding and then back to desktop. Then asks to play in lower mode

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Have you updated to latest graphics drivers

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Have you updated to latest graphics drivers

Hi yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When was the last time a clean install of Windows was done?

approx 2 months ago

Advertisement