Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they both Portuguese laurel?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

Looking for some help in determining if these two hedges are both Portuguese laurels. The thinner hedge with lighter smaller leaves i bought for €6 euro in garden center A. The thicker hedge I bought for €22 in garden center B.

I was told by both garden centers that they were Portuguese laurels. Not sure if its just the age of the hedge but they look very different and the leaves are wider on the more expensive hedge

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes they're both the same, they've just been treated differently, hence the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dogtanian07

Yes they're both the same, they've just been treated differently, hence the price!

Thanks, any advice on how to look after them? Do you think they will ultimately grow the same? Sorry new to gardening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

They'll probably catch up on their own once they get going, you could apply a fertiliser but wait and see how they get on for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

Yes both are Portuguese laurels, planted a hedge row of them about 18 months ago, some flower up like the plant in first picture. Have found that some are thriving and others a bit slower but that is often the case with new hedges.I applied some Fish, Blood & Bone fertilizer when planting and then some in middle of April. Will probably prune a bit now at end of July or in August.

Advertisement